Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/07/2022 10:39 am  #1

Duquesne Secret Scrimmages

Duquesne – Oct. 22 vs. Illinois State at Cedarville University; Oct. 30 at Youngstown State

Not-So-Secret List of 2022 College Basketball Scrimmages - Stadium (watchstadium.com)

10/07/2022 4:49 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne Secret Scrimmages

CLK wrote:

Duquesne – Oct. 22 vs. Illinois State at Cedarville University; Oct. 30 at Youngstown State

Not-So-Secret List of 2022 College Basketball Scrimmages - Stadium (watchstadium.com)

CLK, thanks for sending the comprehensive scrimmage schedule. I enjoy reading it. One scrimmage in particular caught my eye and caused me to chuckle. Dayton v WVU at Bethany College. Bethany is a good school with a very nice campus but getting there will be a real adventure, especially for Dayton. Both teams may be too worn out to play once they arrive.
A sidenote for all you old timers. Bubba Reid owned and ran a campus beer hall at Bethany in the 70's. I used to drive over from Wheeling to visit him every so many weeks. A great guy (I never had to buy a drink. Between us I'm surprised he stayed in business). I lost track of him after leaving Wheeling. I did hear a rumor that his Wooden Keg burned down not long after I left. I hope he is well. Great memory of Bethany.

10/23/2022 10:59 am  #3

Anyone hearing anything on yesterday’s scrimmage with Illinois State?  I have not been able to dig up anything so far.

10/24/2022 12:17 pm  #4

If you can't find it, it can't be found

10/24/2022 3:25 pm  #5

rosceaux wrote:

If you can't find it, it can't be found

Nah....  that what I say about CLK.  He's certainly our resident Doctor of Research.  Even if the Dukes lock down that information, I was hoping to find something from the Illinois State fans.  I guess with the scrimmage being played at a neutral site, there weren't any prying eyes who cared enough about either team.

10/24/2022 9:55 pm  #6

What is left to say...like a requiem that just keeps on playing

10/25/2022 8:41 am  #7

I get it that secret scrimmages are supposed to be secret, but it is so hard being a Duquesne fan.  There is so much more that DU could do to enhance the fan interest for little additional cost.  Those responsible don't care, and there is no accountability.  For example, the last time this subject came up on this board about a month ago the media people did a nice little "getting to know" video interview of Tevin Brewer.   That was the last interview with two weeks to go before the season starts as if Tevin was the only new player the fans need to get to know.   Vickroy sad to say but you are right.

10/25/2022 1:23 pm  #8

As always, Duquesne keeps everything close to the vest. At some point in the 70's something in the Dukes' basketball culture changed. Public information about aspects of the team began
to disappear. News on recruiting, signings, campus visits, names of potential recruits etc. just about became "need to know" information. Crumbs of  information has been the best we have come to expect over the years.
I guess we will be getting our turn at publicity from PSN in a few weeks. In today's PSN news was the following article...
"Leading up to Pitt basketball’s first game of the season on Nov. 7, Pittsburgh Sports Now will release profiles of each player on the active roster, including the walk-ons."
I assume they will give us a watered-down version of the same kind of content after the Pitt coverage because we will probably not get that information
from anywhere else (read Duquesne)
In the meantime, we will have to rely on the crumbs of information from the athletic and publicity offices that has become the Duquesne norm.
I feel the same frustration because of my intense loyalty to the program. It's always been that way.
And I guess the lack of information will be the same because it's always been that way as well. The season is not far away now. We will just continue to exercise our patience while the rest of the people in the tri-state area will continue to exercise their apathy for an unknown product. Sadly, it's the Duquesne way.

10/25/2022 5:55 pm  #9

Hey where can you get a paycheck working out in the gym for 3 hours a day. Don’t forget the 2 hour lunch breaks. Finally, never have a creative thought about doing your job. That is and as been the case at the Duquesne athletic department for the last 20 years. Are you really surprised🤪

10/25/2022 7:08 pm  #10

Well, now that that's out of way, if someone will just trash the concession stands and the parking garage we can get the season started.

10/25/2022 9:01 pm  #11

Ironduke81 wrote:

Hey where can you get a paycheck working out in the gym for 3 hours a day. Don’t forget the 2 hour lunch breaks. Finally, never have a creative thought about doing your job. That is and as been the case at the Duquesne athletic department for the last 20 years. Are you really surprised🤪

I was finally contacted by someone at the ticket office about the the utter lack of communication I have received as a season ticket holder. Talked to that person and requested to talk to their supervisor and that was two weeks ago.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

10/25/2022 9:09 pm  #12

According to Pittsburgh Sports Now - There will be an Open Practice on Friday for the Pittsburgh Zoo -- DU did something like that last October 21 --  Both teams --  With all the new players on both teams seems like it would be a NICE idea for the fans to check out the new players --  I recall several years ago -- not only did they do it on a Saturday --  THEY PROVIDED FREE DONUTS COFFEE AND ORANGE JUICE --  NOT to be greedy -  But the start (s) of the season are two weeks away -- and both teams have controlled scrimmages remaining  

Last edited by SkepticAl (10/25/2022 9:10 pm)

10/26/2022 10:47 am  #13

And, we all will be in disbelief when only 1400 fans show up for the opener. The few believers. The AD must not care about basketball since we can’t even get a fan’s open practice. I keep telling myself I won’t complain about the media relations that DU does for the fans. But, I did not receive my season ticket renewal until October 13th, a day before they were due. I would not have renewed without a notice and I have been going to games since when Willie Somerset played. Pathetic.

10/28/2022 8:53 am  #14

What media relations?

10/28/2022 10:39 am  #15

That tavern called The Wooden Keg was probably filled with Pennsylvania kids on Saturday nights.  West Virginia had a drinking age of 18 when Pennsylvania 's was 21.  A similar tavern called Lulu Belle's on US 119, just south of the Pennsylvania border near Point Marion also burned down.  They had a pool table there and so much beer was spilled around it that your feet stuck to the floor.

10/28/2022 1:37 pm  #16

Bilgy wrote:

That tavern called The Wooden Keg was probably filled with Pennsylvania kids on Saturday nights.  West Virginia had a drinking age of 18 when Pennsylvania 's was 21.  A similar tavern called Lulu Belle's on US 119, just south of the Pennsylvania border near Point Marion also burned down.  They had a pool table there and so much beer was spilled around it that your feet stuck to the floor.

Bilgy,
Bethany,WV was a little off the beaten path for underage PA kids at the time, The more popular place was in Tridelphia, WV right off of interstate 70 (about 1 mile from the Pa/WV state line) My friend was the sheriff there and every weekend had to respond to fights between drunken underage Pa kids and drunken 18 yr old WV kids. Weekends were busy. I don't think that place ever burned down.

10/28/2022 2:42 pm  #17

I recall it was called "near beer" because it was only something like 2% alcohol.  If you were used to getting real beer illegally in PA, you could drink a lot of near beer before you felt anything. 

10/28/2022 2:49 pm  #18

levon1975 wrote:

I recall it was called "near beer" because it was only something like 2% alcohol.  If you were used to getting real beer illegally in PA, you could drink a lot of near beer before you felt anything. 

We called it three-two, because it was 3.2% alcohol. 

10/28/2022 3:22 pm  #19

Yes, that's correct

10/30/2022 2:35 pm  #20

Near beer was served to below age 21 Kids at a tavern called George the Third in Greensburg.  As noted you could drink all night before you felt anything.  That made for a lot of pit stops on the way home.

10/31/2022 3:48 pm  #21

Maybe in a year Pittsburgh sports are taking Ls, the Dukes can finally stack Ws.   Can only hope its our turn for once in a long long long time.

Board footera