Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2022 6:27 pm  #1

Game Thread - University of Montana Grizzlies

7:00pm EST tip on Tuesday 11/08/2022 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Duquesne Virtual Game Program:  https://indd.adobe.com/view/ecff9275-a12e-45dd-99a7-3061952e7b4c

Per KenPom (358 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #136 (0-0) vs Montana Grizzlies #182 (0-0)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 7, 72-65 - Dukes with 72% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=201

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #228 vs Montana #229
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 3, 69.60-66.60
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=321&tid2=4391&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 4 point favorites; Over/Under 135
Duquesne 0-0 Against the Spread: Montana 0-0 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/news/2022/11/7/mens-basketball-preview-dukes-open-2022-23-season-vs-montana.aspx
Montana Game Notes:  https://gogriz.com/news/2022/11/7/mens-basketball-griz-head-east-to-start-2022-23-season.aspx

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/2023.html
Montana:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/montana/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins:
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses:
Montana KenPom Best Wins:
Montana KenPom Worst Losses:

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 0.0%, 000 in D-1; Defense 0.0%, 000 in D-1
Montana 3 Point:  Offense 0.0%, 000 in D-1; Defense 0.0%, 000 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 0.0%, 000 in D-1; Defense 0.0%, 000 in D-1
Montana 2 Point:  Offense 0.0%, 000 in D-1; Defense 0.0%, 000 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 0.0%, 000 in D-1; Defense 0.0%, 000 in D-1
Montana FT:  Offense 0.0%, 000 in D-1; Defense 0.0%, 000 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Montana Adj Offense Efficiency - 00.0; 000 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 00.0; 000 in D-1
Montana Adj Defense Efficiency - 00.0; 000 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 00.0; 000 in D-1
Montana Adj Tempo - 00.0; 000 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 00.0; 000 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - Montana 0.00 yrs; 000 in D-1; Dukes 0.00 yrs; 000 in D-1
Average Height - Montana 00.0"; 000 in D-1; Dukes 00.0"; 000 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (11/08/2022 1:09 pm)

11/07/2022 7:44 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - University of Montana Grizzlies

Everything I have read...this will be a good test for either team.  They are pretty well matched.
Thanks Phoenix, this is much appreciated.  DU should hire you for data analysis!
Go Dukes!

11/07/2022 8:54 pm  #3

Once again APPRECIATE that Phoenix Rising is providing these game notes  --  The fact that there is nearly a difference of 100 between the Ken Pom Ratings and the Haslametrics ratings is how difficult it can be to get an early guage of just how good teams are/can be

11/08/2022 7:47 am  #4

Thanks so much for doing this again this year Phoenix. Apparently Montana has fallen on some hard times. I think of them as a nearly perennial tournament team, but I guess that’s outdated. That makes for a better first game anyway.

11/08/2022 7:57 am  #5

Very good article from the Trib for tonight’s game. Crickets at the PG which I pay a hefty annual fee. Hmm Trib free PG pay to play to read about Pitt basketball.🤔🤔🤔💰💰💰🤮🤮🤮

11/08/2022 9:04 am  #6

Ironduke81 wrote:

Very good article from the Trib for tonight’s game. Crickets at the PG which I pay a hefty annual fee. Hmm Trib free PG pay to play to read about Pitt basketball.🤔🤔🤔💰💰💰🤮🤮🤮

Thanks!  Here’s the link to the Trib story https://triblive.com/sports/with-point-guard-sidelined-duquesne-men-forced-to-deal-with-obstacles-early-on/

11/08/2022 9:24 am  #7

Saw the team photo on twitter yesterday, Barre is a big dude, about as tall as Rotroff, but wider.   Hopefully he progresses and becomes something.   Looking forward to seeing the new team tonight.

11/08/2022 10:08 am  #8

Beat The Grizz ,go Bluffites

11/08/2022 11:28 am  #9

...and the KD BS machine has begun to churn for another season

-Injury excuse before the 1st game
-Hints that undersized (no other D-1 offers) PG Rozier is already his pet cause
-Dukes are going to be different than the entire basketball world by being a low post scoring team

11/08/2022 12:33 pm  #10

Pretty good article from the Trib. What I am most intrigued about is the crowd turnout tonight for the season opener of a pretty much brand new team. I hope our bigs can stay healthy all season long and we create and make open shots. Is that too much to ask for?

11/08/2022 12:35 pm  #11

Ironduke81 wrote:

Im supporting th PG strike!

11/08/2022 12:39 pm  #12

Styles1229 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Im supporting th PG strike!

There are many reasons to abandon the PG, and only one is the lack of Dukes coverage.

11/08/2022 12:48 pm  #13

Tip Off Tailgate tonight starting at 6pm in the back gym.  Free Food:  Nacho Bar, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Pretzels and Cheese

11/08/2022 12:54 pm  #14

Styles1229 wrote:

Tip Off Tailgate tonight starting at 6pm in the back gym.  Free Food:  Nacho Bar, Buffalo Chicken Dip, Pretzels and Cheese

They could have advertised this a little earlier than yesterday... I'll be there nonetheless

11/08/2022 1:20 pm  #15

BluffHunter wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

They could have advertised this a little earlier than yesterday... I'll be there nonetheless

They are doing something so im not fully complaining BUT I had to hear about this from a friend of mine.  Im a season ticket holder and I didn't receive any notification.  Also, is the "back gym" a thing everybody knows about?  im sure I'll find it but such sparse details - do I go into the game first with my ticket then head to the Tailgate?  if so, why call it a tailgate?

11/08/2022 6:07 pm  #16

As I get ready to leave for the game, here are my Hopes...

1.  We win
2.  There are more than 2,000 people there
3.  I can hear the person sitting next to me (no, I"m not hard of hearing or that old) which means the music won't be blasted.
4.  There is a STRONG student turnout - this is something we haven't mentioned much of in the off season
5.  We win

Go Dukes!

11/08/2022 7:54 pm  #17

Well, this looks like a basketball team.

11/08/2022 8:01 pm  #18

Yes. 
Dukes are playing very well especially on defense. Hard to believe Montana only
has 4 fg-none in the last 13 mins  but the assist to field goal ratio
needs to improve.
It appears we will win the game-great start for the season and breaks
the losing streak.

11/08/2022 9:05 pm  #19

For this game--WOW.

11/08/2022 9:18 pm  #20

Loved the effort defensively,especiallly the pressure,was  overwhelming very happy with everything players
did..The students came out with good support. Too many empty seats,if I am Harper I am embarrassed
by small crowd and I m taking his bonehead do nothings to get busy selling tickets.Piss poor dereliction
by marketing team.

11/08/2022 9:21 pm  #21

Great game by the Dukes dominating  Montana. Suffocating defense in the first half cruising out toa 40 point lead in the mid second half. 

This team has talent,expertise and depth. Love it. Go Dukes!

11/08/2022 9:29 pm  #22

This team loaded with depth. Very impressed. Love my 5th cousin Slovak . Congrats to coach Dambrot on bringing in MAJOR talent 👍 Make news beat Kentucky. Why not. Go Dukes

11/08/2022 10:54 pm  #23

well I'll be!   That was fun to watch, aggressive, good pace, nice depth, nice shooting and players seemed into it, having fun, which they never did last year it seemed even in the few games the won.   
Slovaks!!!

11/08/2022 11:19 pm  #24

Great first game. That was fun to watch!

11/09/2022 1:10 am  #25

In the past 27 years and 6 coaches, this is just our third win by at least 28 points over a team that had been in the NCAA tournament within the previous five seasons. On 2/15/17, Jim Ferry and the Dukes beat Massachusetts 96-66 three years after they made the NCAA tournament. On 11/27/10, Ron Everhart and the Dukes beat UMBC 101-69 three years after they made the NCAA tournament. Prior to that you have to go all the way back to 12/22/94 to when John Carroll and the Dukes beat Robert Morris 87-58 three years after they made the NCAA tournament. Tonight was Dambrot's first such win. Nee, Porter, and Edgar never had any.

In the past 18 years, this is the sixth game we've had a lead of at least 40 points in. The distinguishing characteristic from the other five is the opponent. Montana might not be the team they were a few years ago, but they still were above 500 last year in a decent conference. The other five games we had 40 point leads in since 2004 came against: Delaware St. in a 21-75 stretch over three years, two games against division 2 Bluefield St, Houston Christian in just their fourth year in division 1, and Howard who hadn't finished over .300 in five years.

I'm trying really hard not to get too excited about this one since we've seen early highlights result in pitiful finishes many times before. Still this one did look different. Grant shot the lights out and looks to be the kind of scorer we haven't had in quite some time. Hronsky looked like a fifth year senior rather than the true freshman he is.

The biggest thing to me is that it all started with defense. I was surprised to see we only forced 13 turnovers, because it felt like much more than that. We didn't get caught out of position pressuring for those turnovers though. The rotation was solid and we shut down their offense inside and out. Then after forcing those many misses we dominated the glass.

To make things even better it was a true team win. 11 guys played, 10 scored at least 3 points, 10 had at least 2 rebounds, and 8 had steals. We have both top flight talent unlike we've had in quite some time and legitimate A-10 depth (and of course that doesn't even include Brewer).

It will take a miracle (not to mention an off game from them) to beat Kentucky, but at least we're getting them early. If Evansville, VMI, and Gardner-Webb can beat them early, why not Duquesne? Still I'm even more excited for this season than I was yesterday because this looks to be Dambrot's most talented team, best team, best coaching staff, and team most built in his image. Okay rant over, I'll go back to trying to contain my excitement over one game.

Board footera