Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2022 8:40 am  #1

Game Thread - University of Kentucky Wildcats

7:00pm EST tip on Friday 11/11/2022 at the Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY

Per KenPom (358 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #124 (1-0) vs Kentucky Wildcats #1 (1-0)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 21, 82-61 - Dukes with 3% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=5589

Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #179 vs Kentucky #6
Game prediction:  Dukes lose by 20, 81.09-60.98
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=215&neut=0

Betting line: Dukes are 18 point underdogs; Over/Under 143½
Duquesne 1-0 Against the Spread: Kentucky 1-0 ATS

Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/news/2022/11/10/mens-basketball-preview-dukes-at-4-kentucky.aspx
Kentucky Game Notes: https://ukathletics.com/news/2022/11/10/big-blue-preview-kentucky-vs-duquesne/

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/2023.html
Kentucky:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/kentucky/2023.html

Dukes KenPom Best Wins: Montana (210)
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses:
Kentucky KenPom Best Wins: Howard (241)
Kentucky KenPom Worst Losses:

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 41.7%, 48 in D-1; Defense 30.0%, 129 in D-1
Kentucky 3 Point:  Offense 45.8%, 26 in D-1; Defense 28.0%, 110 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 80.0%, 2 in D-1; Defense 43.8%, 86 in D-1
Kentucky 2 Point:  Offense 60.5%, 39 in D-1; Defense 38.1%, 34 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 62.5%, 213 in D-1; Defense 77.3%, 238 in D-1
Kentucky FT:  Offense 57.1%, 249 in D-1; Defense 76.9%, 234 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Kentucky Adj Offense Efficiency - 114.9; 2 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 97.6; 129 in D-1
Kentucky Adj Defense Efficiency - 85.0; 3 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.2; 118 in D-1
Kentucky Adj Tempo - 71.9; 147 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 70.5; 253 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - Kentucky 1.58 yrs; 201 in D-1; Dukes 1.62 yrs; 193 in D-1
Average Height - Kentucky 78.2"; 43 in D-1; Dukes 77.7"; 87 in D-1

11/11/2022 8:59 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - University of Kentucky Wildcats

Let’s make tonight’s Pitt-WVU the game where everyone is saying “oh yeah I think they played too.”

11/11/2022 10:05 am  #3

We need to bring our A+ game again if we’re going to have any chance. Quite frankly we need to hope they don’t bring theirs too because if they do it doesn’t matter what we do. They have had some early season hiccups through the years though. So anything’s possible.

This is one I really wish we had Brewer for because we know they are going to bring pressure at least some of the night. We need to match their defensive intensity, which is hard to do against a Calipari team. We did great defensively against Montana though. I don’t expect us to win the rebounding battle, but we can’t get dominated. Forcing a tough shot doesn’t matter if they get an easy putback. If Grant can have another perfect night shooting that would certainly help too.

So if we are able to defy the odds and pull off the upset, this would be the Dukes biggest win since when?

Last edited by luckymcd (11/11/2022 10:06 am)

11/11/2022 10:43 am  #4

Since the Bernie O’Keefe - Norm Nixon shot against ….

11/11/2022 10:45 am  #5

Providence?

11/11/2022 11:09 am  #6

11/11/2022 12:49 pm  #7

Thanks, z duke. Nice to have Zac Weiss covering this program.

11/11/2022 2:50 pm  #8

Mulder wrote:

Let’s make tonight’s Pitt-WVU the game where everyone is saying “oh yeah I think they played too.”

Good idea!

11/11/2022 4:11 pm  #9

Mike R - you won the trip to Blawnox.  Yes, Providence!!

January 31, 1974.

11/11/2022 8:00 pm  #10

First of all, let's try not to overeact to this game tonight like we tend to do.  That said, this Kentucky team is SOOO long and it's causing our guys to play out of sorts.  Hopefully they calm down during the second half and keep it respectable.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/11/2022 8:07 pm  #11

Playing hard just gotta make shots.

11/11/2022 8:24 pm  #12

The Zone has looked pretty effective honestly.  The effort has been really impressive too.  The jump balls alone show how much we are diving for balls and trying.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/11/2022 8:31 pm  #13

Way too many forced shots and empty possessions. Defense is very aggressive. Better players than last year. The recruiting is an upgrade but same in game coaching. Just me analysis.

11/11/2022 9:34 pm  #14

Well, many forced shots came about because of tough UK defense.

The UK shooting was sometimes amazing, yet the score was kept down by DU working hard. This didn't look like a bad loss at all. More like an indication of a solid Dukes team that can do well against the rest of the schedule, which likely will not include any teams as good as UK.

11/11/2022 9:35 pm  #15

I came away from tonight's game totally impressed with this team. Yes, the shots weren't falling and there were some poor decisions on offense in the 2nd half, but they just don't have the size and the athleticism to compete with Kentucky. Also, you have to figure that many of our kids were nervous or overwhelmed somewhat by what has to be the biggest game they have ever played against the top school in the history of college basketball. The endless hustle that they displayed and the fight that they showed against what may be the best team in the country, was beyond impressive to me. They held their own defensively for 40 minutes against KENTUCKY! If they play with that same intensity and effort all season long, they will be top 4 in the A-10. 

Last edited by kidd082000 (11/11/2022 9:36 pm)

11/11/2022 10:49 pm  #16

Well we know we aren’t one of the best teams in the country. Still it’s not often you can walk away from a 20+ point loss feeling good. The shots didn’t fall, but we did everything else we needed to do. We actually forced more turnovers than them. They controlled the glass overall, but offensive boards were even. I liked mixing in zone too. Dambrot has been reluctant to do it, but it threw them off course for a bit. That was the best team we’ll face this year. They’re going to run a lot of teams off the floor. They didn’t do that to us even if the box score doesn’t look good.

11/12/2022 12:20 am  #17

They played without their best big guy Oscar, and still challenged every shot inside the paint and the Dukes missed a bunch of putbacks and contested layups.  Duquesne’s perimeter shooting was just awful; and combined with no inside game; made for a lopsided victory for UK.  Tough defense and quick hands by UK took Grant out of the game completely.  Not many open shots for the guys who you would want to be shooting threes.  Clarke shooting threes and forcing things on offense is a recipe for defeat.  McGriff forced some things as well; but missed some open looks from deep that he should hit in the future.

11/12/2022 7:53 am  #18

Dukes played hard. Nice job rebounding. Very athletic team for the A10. Work in progress with the mixture of new talent. Impressed with Gunn. Rotroff big surprise against Kentuckys bigs. Easley  3 minutes. Hronsky & Dixon no doubt the future. I expect this team to continue to improve based on the talent. Looking forward to Tuesdays game.

11/12/2022 9:15 am  #19

Dukes are a gritty team just was in another class last night. Dukes are a very good rebounding team and will control the boards in most games. Kentucky took the Dukes out of rhythm by applying full court defense on point guard. The Dukes couldn't get into their offenses and took some bad shots. All that being said they have a fun team to watch. Looking for a great season with this team. Go Dukes!

11/12/2022 11:20 am  #20

Coach Dambrot post game comments

https://youtu.be/dpJNMDa6qUQ

11/12/2022 1:20 pm  #21

I like this team they play hard and together.
Looking forward to next game and the season.
Let’s stay healthy is the key. It was good to see Brewer get back into the action and he will only get better.

Let’s get SC State on Monday!

11/12/2022 1:25 pm  #22

Calipari comments:
“ And let me say this about Duquesne, too. I’m a fan of their program. I grew up in Pittsburgh. Keith’s — he just stuck a team together of like 11 new guys. And let me explain, by the middle of this season we will say, we beat a good team. Look at them. We beat a good team. They missed some shots. They were a little bit, you know, things that they won’t do later. They’re trying to figure each other out. But they’ve got good guys. They posted us up. They did what they wanted at times.”

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2022/11/12/23454317/john-calipari-recaps-kentucky-duquesne-oscar-tshiebwe-news

11/12/2022 1:48 pm  #23

I am also more optimistic than I have been for the last couple of years. Hopefully, we can keep the young guys on board for the ride.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/12/2022 5:51 pm  #24

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Calipari comments:
“ And let me say this about Duquesne, too. I’m a fan of their program. I grew up in Pittsburgh. Keith’s — he just stuck a team together of like 11 new guys. And let me explain, by the middle of this season we will say, we beat a good team. Look at them. We beat a good team. They missed some shots. They were a little bit, you know, things that they won’t do later. They’re trying to figure each other out. But they’ve got good guys. They posted us up. They did what they wanted at times.”

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2022/11/12/23454317/john-calipari-recaps-kentucky-duquesne-oscar-tshiebwe-news

I’ve never enjoyed a Calipari quote before. I think he’s right too. This is a good team that played a great team.

11/13/2022 3:28 pm  #25

Nice of Cal to give the Dukes some respect; but as Dambrot said; the Dukes didn’t manage the flow of the game well.  They played into UK’s hands by trying to play up tempo and took too many quick, wild shots that turned into open 3’s, or layups at the other end.  I wouldn’t call UK a “great” team at this point; but with Oscar coming back and the deadly shooters and length throughout the lineup, they certainly have the pieces to develop into a “great” team. The game should be a good learning experience for the Dukes especially guys like McGriff, Hronsky, Rozier etc.  to play smart.

Board footera