Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2022 9:17 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - South Carolina State University Bulldogs

Simms wrote:

I was at the game (travelled from Altoona) and was pleased with the way the team played.  This is the first Duquesne team in a long time where I feel confident we will beat lesser teams.  Even the 20 win teams had some games where they had to make heroic comebacks and thus far we haven't seen that.  Still, the sample size is small.  

Also, this video on Rozier I found on youtube does a nice job at giving an inside look at the Dukes.  Dambrot, Charles Thomas, and Dru Joyce (who I think was a HUGE addition) give insights.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVX3NlOsno&t=244s&ab_channel=BigGuard

Very nice feature on Kareem. Great to see a guy who is just thrilled to get the opportunities that Duquesne has provided. The video also features some of the top flight facilities that the players have at their disposal.

Last edited by levon1975 (11/16/2022 10:37 am)

11/15/2022 10:26 pm  #27

As an aside to the game, what was RON EVERHART doing at the game?  WVU does not play SCSU as a scheduled game.  Was he scouting potential transfers?  His boss doesn't exactly have the reputation of caring to follow rules.

Last edited by grammudder (11/15/2022 10:26 pm)

11/16/2022 6:55 am  #28

He may have coached with SCSU coach in the past.

11/16/2022 8:49 am  #29

grammudder wrote:

As an aside to the game, what was RON EVERHART doing at the game?  WVU does not play SCSU as a scheduled game.  Was he scouting potential transfers?  His boss doesn't exactly have the reputation of caring to follow rules.

From Mackall’s trib article:
“ After a successful six-year run as coach at Duquesne, Everhart went on to become an assistant at West Virginia, where he spent 10 seasons on the Mountaineers bench with first-year South Carolina State coach Erik Martin, another former assistant.”

11/16/2022 12:20 pm  #30

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Colgate is up 16 on Syracuse in Syracuse with 7 minutes to play.

And Colgate wins by 12.

Looks like they got a really good player in Richardson, averages 21 ppg, leads in assists and steals too.   Got some big dudes on their team.   Will need Rotroff, Williams, Dixon, Reece to step up and box out.   This will be a real test.  Too bad no tv/streaming for this one.

Last edited by townsonkid (11/16/2022 12:20 pm)

11/16/2022 12:56 pm  #31

grammudder wrote:

I agree. You know can’t trust  Huggins WVU staff including that Everhart guy. My buddy who follows WVU told me Everhart was scouting Jake Harper. Not to be confused with Charlie Harper.

11/16/2022 3:21 pm  #32

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

And Colgate wins by 12.

Did Hima play?

11/16/2022 3:45 pm  #33

6 minutes
He is averaging 2 pts and 2 rbs per game
So far, his leaving opened up a scholarship for a better player

11/16/2022 4:01 pm  #34

Styles1229 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

And Colgate wins by 12.

Did Hima play?

You can follow his stats here:
Mounir Hima 2022-23 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

11/17/2022 10:07 am  #35

Econ69 wrote:

6 minutes
He is averaging 2 pts and 2 rbs per game
So far, his leaving opened up a scholarship for a better player

We don't know that yet.  Picture Big MOU in the middle of the court with the rest of our new length

11/17/2022 10:55 am  #36

RIght now Dave Dixon is younger and a better player.  Still haven't seen Barre, so the jury is still out on him.  I just think the learning curve was very steep for Hima.  He may be a better fit on a team like Syracuse that plays zone almost exclusively.  He struggled in a man-to-man defense.  

11/17/2022 11:08 am  #37

If KD would have played Mounir as early last year as he is playing Dixon this year....

KD did a terrible job developing & utilizing Hima. All signs point to a different approach being taken with Dixon even with a much deeper front court roster.

I have been very impressed with the new offensive sets & willingness to use different defenses thus far. I had no faith that KD could/would/was willing to or capable of doing these things.

11/17/2022 11:24 am  #38

In his first 5 seasons KD ran the same blitz & switch heavy defense 95% of the time. Most of the players; bigs, wings, & guards alike; were regularly lost. Hima was no exception.

This problem was exacerbated by the constant, unacceptable level of roster turnover. Don't forget, his roster problems existed 2+ years before the one-time, no-sit-out transfer rule was instituted.

KD has had 1 good year, 3 mediocre seasons, & 1 disastrous campaign. He should be having to prove himself in a big way this year by winning AND being able to bring back a very strong core for next year in order to keep his job. However, I doubt that is the case. I expect him back next year no matter how the season & postseason play out.

11/17/2022 11:35 am  #39

levon1975 wrote:

RIght now Dave Dixon is younger and a better player.  Still haven't seen Barre, so the jury is still out on him.  I just think the learning curve was very steep for Hima.  He may be a better fit on a team like Syracuse that plays zone almost exclusively.  He struggled in a man-to-man defense.  

levon1975, I agree regarding the learning curve. His college eligibility could run out before he turns into a consistently productive player; he may have a brighter (and richer) career as a pro internationally.

11/17/2022 11:44 am  #40

Current Kenpom rankings:

120-Duquesne
121-The other school on Forbes

Seems like Kenny always has us right around each other

11/17/2022 2:24 pm  #41

I feel like the Colgate game is an important one for evaluating the prospects of this team.

Colgate is shaping up to to be the kind of quality, mid-major opponent that has traditionally given KD's Duquesne teams lots of trouble. They have 2-3 A-10 quality starters with experience, decent size, & are well coached.

Both teams now have several games of tape to review so the early season element of surprise shouldn't be much of a factor.

I hate this annual Akron game crap. KD coaches at DU. It is also BS that after several times of doing this, there is no video feed.

If KD thinks it is so important to have his team see LeBron's school, put the guys on a bus at his own expense & do so. Stop screwing the fans so he can be a hometown hero.

I am deeply aggravated at not being able to watch what I believe to be a very meaningful non-con game.

11/17/2022 4:11 pm  #42

phil95 wrote:

I feel like the Colgate game is an important one for evaluating the prospects of this team.

Colgate is shaping up to to be the kind of quality, mid-major opponent that has traditionally given KD's Duquesne teams lots of trouble. They have 2-3 A-10 quality starters with experience, decent size, & are well coached.

Both teams now have several games of tape to review so the early season element of surprise shouldn't be much of a factor.

I hate this annual Akron game crap. KD coaches at DU. It is also BS that after several times of doing this, there is no video feed.

If KD thinks it is so important to have his team see LeBron's school, put the guys on a bus at his own expense & do so. Stop screwing the fans so he can be a hometown hero.

I am deeply aggravated at not being able to watch what I believe to be a very meaningful non-con game.

Agreed. I was looking at every option to get up to the arena just to be able to watch tomorrow but it is not a possibility.

11/17/2022 4:45 pm  #43

Right,
Friday evening at 6:00 makes it tough if you have a job in Pittsburgh.  I think they played the Akron game on Saturday in previous years.  

Board footera