Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2022 10:57 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of North Florida Ospreys

Does anybody know what Grants tattoo below his neck says in red? Looks like "Steel City" 

11/21/2022 11:33 pm  #27

Some notes from coaches interview:

-He says we have one player suspended, so it does not seem Easley has left the team at least yet, I hope he gets his issues sorted and back on the court!! Coach sighs when asked when Easley will be back and says "He'll be back, but not for a minute. Indefinite suspension as of right now."
-Rozier approached coach after the game and. said "My bad coach, it's because we didn't practice well and that's on me." 
-Coach still seems interested in getting Barre into the rotation as soon as he can come back from injury.

11/22/2022 12:23 am  #28

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

And I think the inbounds guy stepped on the line ….  Many years ago high end Duquesne played Eastern  Michigan. They had a good player, but c’mon.  That good player was a skinny 6”8” kid. I think he’ still scoring. He turned out to be known in the NBA as the “Ice Man.”  George Gervin.  You never know.

Mike,
I was at that game. I recall we considered the game an easy win, that is until Gervin proved to be unstoppable. I left the arena that afternoon in semi-shock. And Gervin really was skinny.

11/22/2022 8:54 am  #29

11/22/2022 9:09 am  #30

Wow I have to tip my hat to Brewer for that gutsy shot.  Being the veteran that he is no doubt has helped this team. 
Speaking of Veterans Grant is fantastic. What a pickup for this team.  He had a subpar performance in the first half but just carried the team in the second half.  Did he even miss a shot in second?  26 pts 5 rebounds 6 assists and 3 steals and only 1 turnover. Just an incredible all around performance.  
He is a Winner!
When asked why he chose Duquesne he said its the coaches so Kudos to them also as Dambrot and staff coached a great game tonight also.

Now lets take a lesson from this one and do not take anyone for granted.  Alabama State is not going to lay down for us.

Go Dukes and Happy Thanksgiving!

11/22/2022 11:22 am  #31

A few comments on a very entertaining game last night; missed by thousands; but appreciated by the crowd in attendance.  

Both teams played hard and at a fast pace the entire night.  There were no lulls in the action as you often see in many games.  I thought the pace played a big role in the Dukes victory.  When UNF played half-court the Dukes really struggled in controlling those guards, penetrating to the hoop and then  Hicklen, and Hendrickson knocking down threes in the second-half; this team was tough to guard.  The Dukes were big winners however in the turnover department forcing 17 to Duquesne's six so the pace may have contributed to the turnovers.

Dae Dae Grant put on quite a show in the second half, knocking down a variety of jumpers and threes; but also collecting six assists and really committing no turnovers.  The shooting performance was one of the best I've seen for a Duke over the course of an entire half of basketball.   The only turnover he was charged with was after he made a huge steal late in the game; he was hip-checked to the floor by one of the Osprey basically right in front of the ref; who botched the call.  On the final play, Dae Dae also unselfishly reversed the ball to Brewer; perhaps knowing that UNF would do everything to prevent him from taking the last shot!  A veteran move on his part. 

Hicklen was amazing for UNF in this game; a truly great performance for a visiting guard. He was very smooth and a complete offensive player.  I thought Quincy's height slowed him a bit on a few possessions.  I think he was just too comfortable most of the night.  The switches on their high screens for Hicklen were killing the Dukes.  Perhaps having Reece hedging those screens might have made a difference since he is more mobile that Rotroff or Tre.  Tre did have some good hedges on those screens.

Once David Dixon gets up-to-speed with the defense, and more comfortable in general; I think he can be a factor as the season progresses.  Reece's injury is giving Dixon a great opportunity to learn. 

I'm anxious to see what Barre can do once he gets on the court.  I've heard some positive feedback on his ability.  

It also looks like Matous is rebuilding confidence again after a rough outing at Kentucky (no disgrace of course).  
The future looks bright! 

11/22/2022 11:26 am  #32

BluffHunter wrote:

Does anybody know what Grants tattoo below his neck says in red? Looks like "Steel City" 

Definitely says "Steel City".  Interesting indeed.

11/22/2022 1:41 pm  #33

Per KenPom, this was the 11th most “Tension” filled game so far in this college basketball season.

Here are a few comments from the coach of North Florida, Matthew Driscoll (https://twitter.com/ospreymbb/status/1594910944282304512?s=46&t=UAOzFXsj2ueewuSwgsTNhw)

11/22/2022 3:10 pm  #34

Full final sequence of last nights game, including the UNF basket and foul call to set up the rebound and final play:

https://twitter.com/andrewdieckhoff/status/1594871275436244993

11/22/2022 3:38 pm  #35

Sometimes I find things that are unrelated but not important or interesting enough to start a new thread, this is one of those things. I also like to track former players along their careers more than most, and many are having statistically impressive starts to their seasons. I just noticed 2022 Mountain West sixth man of the year Chad Baker is once again teammates with Andre Harris, now at Northwest Florida Junior College.

https://www.nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/2022-23/roster

11/22/2022 4:29 pm  #36

BluffHunter wrote:

Full final sequence of last nights game, including the UNF basket and foul call to set up the rebound and final play:

https://twitter.com/andrewdieckhoff/status/1594871275436244993

Phantom foul on that last UNF basket!  Nice job by Tre to take the dribble and draw two defenders before passing to T.Brewer for the drive and score.

11/22/2022 4:42 pm  #37

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Per KenPom, this was the 11th most “Tension” filled game so far in this college basketball season.

Here are a few comments from the coach of North Florida, Matthew Driscoll (https://twitter.com/ospreymbb/status/1594910944282304512?s=46&t=UAOzFXsj2ueewuSwgsTNhw)

Matt is a local guy from North Hills I believe.  He has worked hard to get to this point after starting his coaching career at Northgate HS. and later Seneca Valley and working as an assistant at numerous D-1 schools including Baylor, Clemson and Valpo among others.  He's won his league regular season three times. 

I like their team, and wish them luck in their matchup with Kentucky.  Hopefully they shoot it well again.  The guards are very good, just need to develop the "bigs" in order to get better. They played with great confidence and never backed down.   

11/22/2022 5:19 pm  #38

Motor wrote:

Wow I have to tip my hat to Brewer for that gutsy shot.  Being the veteran that he is no doubt has helped this team. 
Speaking of Veterans Grant is fantastic. What a pickup for this team.  He had a subpar performance in the first half but just carried the team in the second half.  Did he even miss a shot in second?  26 pts 5 rebounds 6 assists and 3 steals and only 1 turnover. Just an incredible all around performance.  
He is a Winner!
When asked why he chose Duquesne he said its the coaches so Kudos to them also as Dambrot and staff coached a great game tonight also.

Now lets take a lesson from this one and do not take anyone for granted.  Alabama State is not going to lay down for us.

Go Dukes and Happy Thanksgiving!

This Dukes team isn't great, but light years better then last year (players) . We should have killed this team, but Dambrot's slow down when we are ahead is just mind- boggling?  We take all of our superior speed and negate it by standing still?  Every time we got a head, he just pulled up and let them back into the game just to chew clock?

Last edited by NapaDuke (11/22/2022 11:17 pm)

11/22/2022 5:30 pm  #39

I didn't watch any game till this one. Mainly because last year was a joke. So much money into a program, miss-spent. Mostly the Head Coach, then next, the very, very bad self centered players. But, this game, at least, showed me we have players that pass for the propose to win. And players that play aggressive defense, though not enough to be elite, but better than last year. And very young players actually playing above their age.

Last edited by NapaDuke (11/22/2022 11:23 pm)

11/22/2022 5:32 pm  #40

We have been suffering for 40 years. But I give Dambrot credit for getting PLAYERS from the transfer portal. The whole landscape of college sports have changed. For an old school coach I give him an A+ for recruiting which without a doubt is a very athletic, experienced and team oriented group of young men. At this point I am a fan. NCAA or bust. Go Dukes.

11/22/2022 5:53 pm  #41

Welcome back Napa! While you’ve been away, we are off to a great start! Really exciting hoops. As much as we may crave your insights after watching one out of five games,  feel free to crawl back under your rock and allow us fans the chance to enjoy something that we haven’t been able to in a long time.

11/22/2022 6:03 pm  #42

CityDuke wrote:

Welcome back Napa! While you’ve been away, we are off to a great start! Really exciting hoops. As much as we may crave your insights after watching one out of five games, feel free to crawl back under your rock and allow us fans the chance to enjoy something that we haven’t been able to in a long time.

Too funny, you thought a team from a lesser league nearly beat our butts was great, but, better than last year. About climbing from under a rock? You really think we are up to A-10 level without anyone's real analysis of what you just watched?  I just told you exactly why that game was, un-necessary close. Every time Dambrot slows down this team, we will likely lose. But, nice for your welcome back.  I didn't re-new my season tickets after last years Sh#t-show for a lot of apparent reasons and the attendance in the stands last night kind of proved my disbelief of anything that Dambrot could do this year that would make us get to the A-10 finals. KD has one season left, and unless he let's this team run, we are going to be near the bottom.

Last edited by NapaDuke (11/22/2022 11:25 pm)

11/22/2022 6:09 pm  #43

Ironduke81 wrote:

We have been suffering for 40 years. But I give Dambrot credit for getting PLAYERS from the transfer portal. The whole landscape of college sports have changed. For an old school coach I give him an A+ for recruiting which without a doubt is a very athletic, experienced and team oriented group of young men. At this point I am a fan. NCAA or bust. Go Dukes.

I am impressed at the players willing to come here after last year and KD on a short leash. At  least, these  freshman are really better then last year, and have a lot of court vision. It's encouraging .  I just hope they get coached up, not down.

Last edited by NapaDuke (11/22/2022 11:18 pm)

11/22/2022 6:40 pm  #44

Napa I don't get the negativity. Sit back and enjoy the ride.  This team is deep and talented and I believe they will exceed your expectations. Go Dukes!

11/22/2022 6:57 pm  #45

CLK wrote:

Napa I don't get the negativity. Sit back and enjoy the ride. This team is deep and talented and I believe they will exceed your expectations. Go Dukes!

Yes I get what you are saying, so far, but this entire game, we were faster and more talented on the run then North Florida. So, my point, why slow down and play to their level?  NF also plays with a short bench, so why help them by slowing down?  Do we want to see this team win in the A-10?  Then, like this game, these young kids are very fast, and they share the ball, very fast. So, anytime that KD makes them go to a stand still, it negates that advantage. That is very apparent just watching this game.  At least Williams wasn't the center of the game here, but he got his baskets because the defense could not collapse on him for fear of letting open other Dukes that could make them pay for that over-play. Not last year, but at least in this game, passing by the Dukes holds defensive players in place. Then Williams can score.

11/22/2022 7:10 pm  #46

Nappy: 

The coaches name is Dambrot, not Dambroth!  At least you could give him the respect of spelling his name correctly if you are so hell-bent inclined to criticizing his coaching acumen.

11/22/2022 7:57 pm  #47

NapaDuke wrote:

CLK wrote:

Napa I don't get the negativity. Sit back and enjoy the ride. This team is deep and talented and I believe they will exceed your expectations. Go Dukes!

Yes I get what you are saying, so far, but this entire game, we were faster and more talented on the run then North Florida. So, my point, why slow down and play to their level?  NF also plays with a short bench, so why help them by slowing down?  Do we want to see this team win in the A-10?  Then, like this game, these young kids are very fast, and they share the ball, very fast. So, anytime that KD makes them go to a stand still, it negates that advantage. That is very apparent just watching this game.  At least Williams wasn't the center of the game here, but he got his baskets because the defense could not collapse on him for fear of letting open other Dukes that could make them pay for that over-play. Not last year, but at least in this game, passing by the Dukes holds defensive players in place. Then Williams can score.

A big factor was the fact that Clark was on the bench with 4 fouls for most of the 2nd half.  I don't know if Dae Dae left the court in the second half; he didn't have much left in the tank.  Big credit goes out to him in hitting those two last free throws.  The other factor is that fact that Duquesne only had 16 defensive rebounds; it's almost impossible to "run" after made baskets and not much opportunity.  I'm more inclined to think that the players slowed this down more that the coaching staff based on what was available to them.

11/22/2022 8:12 pm  #48

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

CLK wrote:

A big factor was the fact that Clark was on the bench with 4 fouls for most of the 2nd half.  I don't know if Dae Dae left the court in the second half; he didn't have much left in the tank.  Big credit goes out to him in hitting those two last free throws.  The other factor is that fact that Duquesne only had 16 defensive rebounds; it's almost impossible to "run" after made baskets and not much opportunity.  I'm more inclined to think that the players slowed this down more that the coaching staff based on what was available to them.

Phoenix I agree a lot with your analysis.
If we were playing slow and scored 83 points I can’t wait to see ya play fast! Heck we’d probably score 125 pts 🤪

11/22/2022 10:08 pm  #49

Phoenix your response to Napa is exactly what I was thinking.  Clark's 4 fouls limited what we could do and frankly I think we just did what we had to do given the situation.  You have to also factor in the limitations of depth on the front line.  Even though the defense needed to be better and KD and the guys realize this, NF shot lights out - that just happens sometimes - the difference is this team still found a way.  This looks to be the deepest, most talented roster KD and staff have put together, especially when we get a couple of the bigs back healthy.  I am really impressed with what has taken place so far and I hope we can continue this winning trend.  Go Dukes!!

11/22/2022 11:04 pm  #50

PistolPete wrote:

Phoenix your response to Napa is exactly what I was thinking.  Clark's 4 fouls limited what we could do and frankly I think we just did what we had to do given the situation.  You have to also factor in the limitations of depth on the front line.  Even though the defense needed to be better and KD and the guys realize this, NF shot lights out - that just happens sometimes - the difference is this team still found a way.  This looks to be the deepest, most talented roster KD and staff have put together, especially when we get a couple of the bigs back healthy.  I am really impressed with what has taken place so far and I hope we can continue this winning trend.  Go Dukes!!

I agree, this is very talented team.  They moved the ball very well for a young team. Any team that can pass the ball this well and move this well should keep the pressure on.

Board footera