Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2013 4:42 pm  #1

Jimmy Ferry interviewed by Dejan "Did I mention that I went to DU?" K.

11/27/2013 6:13 pm  #2

Re: Jimmy Ferry interviewed by Dejan "Did I mention that I went to DU?" K.

What did he say?   I'm not interested in the whole interview.  It sounds combative.  DK always throws in that he went to DU.  Like he really gives a f*#%.

He is just self important tool.  Believe me there is plenty if reasons to criticize DU.  He pretends like he was the second coming of Mossie Murphy.

11/27/2013 9:20 pm  #3

It's hard to know who is the bigger joke, him or Dunlap.

11/27/2013 11:17 pm  #4

duq81 wrote:

Where's a like button when you need one?

11/28/2013 7:47 am  #5

It's Dunlap. I really don't think Dejan's that bad. He takes a gratuitous swipe at the program once in a while, but it's difficult to defend that the history doesn't deserve it. I like taking shots at him once in a while too, especially on Twitter, and I think he's pretty fair about the back-and-forth.

Steve at the P-G is doing a great job but I miss Big Mack at the Trib. Mackall knew his basketball. The guy there now is getting the job done but that's it. No insights.

11/28/2013 9:46 am  #6

Dumcoff by a wide margin!  I tuned into 92.7 The Fan while in the car (I like some of the DJ's), and Dunlap was talking to a caller about the Pens.  The caller was talking about Malkin, but was mispronouncing it as Malcom (it was close), and the whole call, Dunlap was asking him "who", "what was his name", etc.  Finally the caller had the class to just say "I believe I'm ending this call".  Dunlap was having a field day belittling the caller just because a small mispronounciation of Malkin's name.  I couldn't believe how ignorant Dunlap was to his caller base.  The caller may not have known how to pronounce a name, but he certainly could have taught Dunlap a lesson in good manners and class.  As far as I'm concerned, from now on I will not give Dunlap the time of day-he's an arrogant ignorant punk, from whom I couldn't receive anything meaningfull!  It's a sports talk show (and a very poor one), not a debate with William F. Buckley.  Dunlap is a tool, and I can't wait for him to take the Madden Highway (minus the money)!

11/28/2013 11:27 am  #7

PrinceOf Pilsner wrote:

Dumcoff by a wide margin!  I tuned into 92.7 The Fan while in the car (I like some of the DJ's), and Dunlap was talking to a caller about the Pens.  The caller was talking about Malkin, but was mispronouncing it as Malcom (it was close), and the whole call, Dunlap was asking him "who", "what was his name", etc.  Finally the caller had the class to just say "I believe I'm ending this call".  Dunlap was having a field day belittling the caller just because a small mispronounciation of Malkin's name.  I couldn't believe how ignorant Dunlap was to his caller base.  The caller may not have known how to pronounce a name, but he certainly could have taught Dunlap a lesson in good manners and class.  As far as I'm concerned, from now on I will not give Dunlap the time of day-he's an arrogant ignorant punk, from whom I couldn't receive anything meaningfull!  It's a sports talk show (and a very poor one), not a debate with William F. Buckley.  Dunlap is a tool, and I can't wait for him to take the Madden Highway (minus the money)!

I'm not going to go into details, but on the old Voy board, CLK, ED, and myself had some dealings with him that would just leave you shaking your head.

11/28/2013 1:06 pm  #8

I listened to it (not closely), but I thought that it was telling that Ferry did not mention Jerry Jones at all.  He has fallen off of the radar.  It will be interesting to see if he gets any meaningful playing time with Micah's injury.

11/28/2013 7:38 pm  #9

Did Ferry suggest that they are going to replace the remaining bleachers at Palumbo, or did I imagine that?  Listen closely at the 31.00 mark.  He definitely says "We are GOING TO."  I think that would make Palumbo a really special place personally.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/28/2013 8:15 pm  #10

The answers are yes, no and yes.  At GA's meet and greet session, he discussed the plans for replacement of the end zone nearest the Duquesne bench as being scheduled for changing it to blue seating at both levels.  Plans are not final for the student section in that something may be done to promote a standing cheering section type thing other schools have with a portion reserved for the pep band.  This first phase is to be completed before the start of the 2014-2015 season.  While on the subject of GA, since he is villianized so much, including some snipes by yours truly, hats off to he and President D for opening the dorms a day early, providing staffing at time and a half pay and providing three extra meals to the on-campus students, all with the idea that they can use that extra day on campus to attend the City Game.  Little things mean a lot and little things are being done to effectuate changes long overdue.

11/28/2013 9:31 pm  #11

I would hope they would make the entire arena blue seating.  I just worry that it would descrease our capacity too much.  Hopefully GA can come up with a solid plan.  I already really like Palumbo, so I would love to see it have a lower bowl seating area for the end zones.  I also don't recall sniping GA, but I'm glad to hear he is opening the campus early for students.  I just hope that students were told about this option.  

11/29/2013 10:31 am  #12

"Hats off to he and President D for opening the dorms a day early, providing staffing at time and a half pay and providing three extra meals to the on-campus students, all with the idea that they can use that extra day on campus to attend the City Game..."  grammudder

This was actually classy!  Things like this should have been done YEARS ago as they demonstrate sincere support for the team.  Yes, it took money and, foresight, and to commit.  Finally!!!!!!!
Now, we have to win basketball games at DU. 

Last edited by FAM (11/29/2013 10:31 am)

11/29/2013 11:16 am  #13

Can I hear an A-men?

11/29/2013 3:43 pm  #14

I know some of you will think this is sour grapes and maybe irrelevant, but do you think all of the wonderful things Greg Amodio is doing to provide extraordinary support for basketball ( like the Athletic Fund for Basketball Excellence, adding chair back seating in the end zones, etc.) has anything to do with the fact that he put his butt on the line when he fired RE and hired Jim Ferry??

11/29/2013 4:02 pm  #15

Possibly, but that's okay in my opinion.  Sometimes people work better when the pressure is more intense.  I still don't agree with how RE was let go (I would've given him another year at least) but I think Amodio deserves two hires, and if this is the one who is putting all of his cards on, then so be it.  

11/29/2013 7:55 pm  #16

Westender wrote:

I know some of you will think this is sour grapes and maybe irrelevant, but do you think all of the wonderful things Greg Amodio is doing to provide extraordinary support for basketball ( like the Athletic Fund for Basketball Excellence, adding chair back seating in the end zones, etc.) has anything to do with the fact that he put his butt on the line when he fired RE and hired Jim Ferry??

Better that GA feel the heat and become aggressive, than the way BC went into survival mode once his seat got hot.

11/29/2013 9:30 pm  #17

duq81 wrote:

Dejean is the shorter version of the name Richard. Times ten.

11/29/2013 9:31 pm  #18

duq81 wrote:

Westender wrote:

Better that GA feel the heat and become aggressive, than the way BC went into survival mode once his seat got hot.

It's way too late for a cosmetic fix. His ego needs renovated. It's the product on the court, not the color of the seats that matter and he's failed miserably there.

12/01/2013 7:35 am  #19

12/01/2013 8:12 am  #20

Some thoughts:

Duquesne can't compete with Pitt for local talent.: There is very little local basketball talent in the WPIAL worthy of major division I. What there is of it rarely goes to Duquesne.

You'll never get a good coach to come — and stay — at Duquesne.: Ron Everhart. Suzie McConnell. Need I say more.

Palumbo is too small.: He is right on this point. It's not too small. You want a crazy, crowded atmosphere (think Duke). Consol is just a block away. Remember when James came and Palumbo was sold out for Pitt? Never saw atmosphere like that again at Palumbo.

Duquesne's administration doesn't care about basketball. This is totally true. The only reason our AD is trying to make improvements is that people are finally doubting his abilility after the RE episode and McConnell left. He might be losing the administration's confidence.

Few will ever care about Duquesne again. He uses the Pirates as an example but the Pirates have had a decent fan base even through the losing. Duquesne basketball has been irrelevant for 40 years. Two generations of fans were lost. I would bet most students on campus have not attended a game and Palumbo is a short walk from the dorms. It would take more than a year of 20 wins to change their attitudes.

Board footera