Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing


UPCOMING GAMES:

Wednesday - 2/8/23 - Home - George Mason - 7:00 PM
Saturday - 2/11/23 - Home - St. Bonaventure - 12:30 PM
Wedmesday - 2/15/23 - Home - St. Joseph - 7:00 PM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



11/25/2022 8:14 am  #1


This season so far

I am thrilled the Dukes are 5-1, but I am cautiously optimistic, after all I am a Duquesne fan, after all these years of struggle. So far we have won the games we were favored in. 
Colgate 4-2 Patriot 93 rating
Montana 3-3 Big Sky 214 rating
N. Florida 1-4 A Sun  225 rating
South Carolina St. 0-6 MEAC 347 rating
Alabama St. 0-6 SWAC 350 rating
All five of these games were home games. Our opponents winning % is an abysmal .275. Colgate has a nice 93 rating from Ken Prom; but the rest of the teams are above 214. As you can see i listed their conferences. All 16 seeded conferences champions when it come to the tournament. These next seven games have better teams and these teams play in way better conferences. The next 7 games are at home, I believe the Dukes will be favored in these games and if not a small underdog. Therefore, there is a real possibility the Dukes go into conference play at 12-1.

I know a lot of the posters get on Harper for poor marketing, and rightfully so. But on the other hand, his scheduling has been outstanding for the mens program. The year we won twenty one  games, he scheduled easy opponents at home and we started 10-0, to help the coach get his rotations set , gain confidence and to have a nice record to get fans interested. Sound familiar ? Now it is up to the coaches and players to make this 12-1 out of conference record happen. The fans will come to see this team with all the other sports teams in Pittsburgh struggling. I am aware I have been one of Dambrot’s harshest critics. Now it’s time for him to prove me wrong, go 12-1 out of conference then 12-6 in conference to finish 24-7 and become at least a bubble team. I feel these are realistic expectations. 
 

 

11/25/2022 8:44 am  #2


Re: This season so far

If we finish 24-7 and land on the bubble I will be living on cloud nine.  I think its like we end up 10-3 going into conference play.  We will see.  


"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers
 

11/25/2022 10:10 am  #3


Re: This season so far

This is what I wrote as to my pre-season observations:  
THE FRESHMAN CLASS--Kareem Rozier (#32) is a real deal.  Matus Hronsky (#14) can light it up from three territory and can handle the rock as a swing forward.  Halil Barre (#5) and David Dixon (#2) will get substantial playing time at the forward and center spots. (4 and 5)  Did not see enough of  Devin Carney to comment.  

THE TRANSFERS--Dae Dae Grant (# 3) is almost a clone of Sincere Carry with a little more control element about his total game. He can drive, stop on a dime and shoot the pull up jumper from the elbows.  Good passer.  He will start in my opinion.  Tre Clark (#1)  is a legit guard for the Dukes.  Good passer and good three point threat.  Joe Reese (#20)  is a sleeper just like kid who is now playing in Poland, Bailey Steele.  Does a lot of little things well off the blocks.  Puts the ball in the hoop.  He is a strong candidate to start in my opinion.  If not a starter, first man off the bench.  Did not see enough of McGriff (#55) to comment. 

THE INJURED--Talked with Tevin Brewer.  He is very optimistic about his current recovery.  Is seeing his Doc today and expects to get practice clearance to some level.  Did not see enough of Barba (#22) to comment.


THE HOLDOVERS--RJ Gunn (#21)  is also a real deal.  I see why he scored as well as he did at Lenoir Ryhne.  Is strong as an ox.  He will start in my opinion.  Tre Williams (#4) looks great.  Lost about 25 lbs and  moves well.  Seems to have the same skill set that made him a starter.  He will start again in my opinion.  Kevin Easley (#35)  will definitely start in my opinion.  Austin Rotroff (#34) looks fluid. Seems to have knocked off the rust that plagued him with his history of injury.  Will help a lot in differing roles as a 4 or 5.  Don't know who a second guard would be because of injury to Brewer and because the bigger kids are so versatile.  E.G., Matus Hronsky played a lot of two guard in the scrimmage. As did Easley.  My guess is because of his past history Tevin Brewer will be the second guard with Tre Clark a close second to him.  I am not as negative as some predictions and I have always been an admirer of Ken Pom's   .projections.  


Now that I have seen the Dukes in game situations, especially the Colgate and Alabama State, games, there is one more relevant point I will make!  I sense this team really, really believes in itself!!!  Their body language in the games reflects confidence.  Their willingness to share the ball is a new founded joy.  Their desire to play team defense cannot be underestimated.  They have, for the present, put the right pieces into the puzzle of winning basketball.

This is my story and I am sticking to it. 

Last edited by grammudder (11/25/2022 10:11 am)

 

11/25/2022 12:36 pm  #4


Re: This season so far

We were underdogs in the Colgate game. However, I agree that time will tell just how good this team can be. We were absolutely electric when everyone was healthy and we were able to diamond press and run in transition. Those games were fun! Our depth has allowed us to roll with the injury punches, but I have a feeling we will see just how special this team is when we become whole again.

 

11/25/2022 3:01 pm  #5


Re: This season so far

Wildwood, from your lips to God's ear, but I think 24 wins is tantamount to perfection - which may be unachievable.  That being said, with all of these games at home we could run the OOC table - but 11-2 would make me really happy as well.  I don't know about in conference as other than Richmond and Dayton on TV the last couple of days I haven't seen how we stack up against everyone else.  Richmond is always tough and they have some skill (the kid at forward) and Dayton is Dayton - still the top of the A-10 food chain.  I think if we can get Reece back very soon that will help tremendously as we need him up front.  Gunn appears to be out for a while (again) and Burre was the furthest away according to KD's post-game presser - see my prior comments and questions regarding Burre.  UC Santa Barba is pretty good with size and I would love to see Reece play on Tuesday, but my guess is it won't be until the following game.  

 

11/25/2022 4:24 pm  #6


Re: This season so far

Nice analysis guys, and bonus pts for Grams preseason review, but I'll  be good with 5-2 for a 10-3 OOC. Ball St is the worst team left (Pomeroy #220), much better than a few of the wins. Most of the rest between 80-130. Rotroff has really impressed, hope Dixon stays 4 years, but hope Reece is back asap.  Very excited about the start, but December will tell us a lot.

 

11/25/2022 6:41 pm  #7


Re: This season so far

I must say, I am happily surprised with what I have witnessed so far this season.  I recognize that the Dukes haven't been slaying giants, but they have come out on top with decent competition.  Stay healthy, play team basketball, and persevere when the going gets tough. Do that and you win back the fans, myself included.  I thought after last season that Coach Dambrot was done.  I will be elated if this is the begining of him proving me wrong.  Let's Go Dukes

 

11/25/2022 7:51 pm  #8


Re: This season so far

Wildwood13 wrote:

I am thrilled the Dukes are 5-1, but I am cautiously optimistic, after all I am a Duquesne fan, after all these years of struggle. So far we have won the games we were favored in. 
Colgate 4-2 Patriot 93 rating
Montana 3-3 Big Sky 214 rating
N. Florida 1-4 A Sun  225 rating
South Carolina St. 0-6 MEAC 347 rating
Alabama St. 0-6 SWAC 350 rating
All five of these games were home games. Our opponents winning % is an abysmal .275. Colgate has a nice 93 rating from Ken Prom; but the rest of the teams are above 214. As you can see i listed their conferences. All 16 seeded conferences champions when it come to the tournament. These next seven games have better teams and these teams play in way better conferences. The next 7 games are at home, I believe the Dukes will be favored in these games and if not a small underdog. Therefore, there is a real possibility the Dukes go into conference play at 12-1.

I know a lot of the posters get on Harper for poor marketing, and rightfully so. But on the other hand, his scheduling has been outstanding for the mens program. The year we won twenty one  games, he scheduled easy opponents at home and we started 10-0, to help the coach get his rotations set , gain confidence and to have a nice record to get fans interested. Sound familiar ? Now it is up to the coaches and players to make this 12-1 out of conference record happen. The fans will come to see this team with all the other sports teams in Pittsburgh struggling. I am aware I have been one of Dambrot’s harshest critics. Now it’s time for him to prove me wrong, go 12-1 out of conference then 12-6 in conference to finish 24-7 and become at least a bubble team. I feel these are realistic expectations. 
 

Well said. I agree. These early opponents  were not that strong and our players are still getting to know each other. The coaches are getting time to figure things out in the early stages and hopefully, this year could be special. The last game looked like a confident Dukes team that pulled away from a weaker opponent as the game progressed. That's a clear positive.  

 

11/26/2022 9:16 am  #9


Re: This season so far

NapaDuke wrote:

Well said. I agree. These early opponents  were not that strong and our players are still getting to know each other. The coaches are getting time to figure things out in the early stages and hopefully, this year could be special. The last game looked like a confident Dukes team that pulled away from a weaker opponent as the game progressed. That's a clear positive.  

Yes, I agree. Was nice to see the team put away an inferior opponent. Lost track of the times, especially under Ferry, where the team would have a big lead and then fold as the other team made it's inevitable runs. Even the early Dambrot teams didn't seem to have that instinct.  Impressed with this factor early on.
 


Habemus victus Richmond, et Bonnies et Dayton.
Nunc vincere Atlanticum 10
 

11/26/2022 10:07 pm  #10


Re: This season so far

Tejas_Duke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Well said. I agree. These early opponents  were not that strong and our players are still getting to know each other. The coaches are getting time to figure things out in the early stages and hopefully, this year could be special. The last game looked like a confident Dukes team that pulled away from a weaker opponent as the game progressed. That's a clear positive.  

Yes, I agree. Was nice to see the team put away an inferior opponent. Lost track of the times, especially under Ferry, where the team would have a big lead and then fold as the other team made it's inevitable runs. Even the early Dambrot teams didn't seem to have that instinct.  Impressed with this factor early on.
 

This team is deep and aggressive on defense. And they pushed the action on offense.  They kept the pressure up on bama and didn't let up on that pressure and never let bana get back in the game. That's the way top teams play. 

 

11/26/2022 10:23 pm  #11


Re: This season so far

Tony84 wrote:

I must say, I am happily surprised with what I have witnessed so far this season.  I recognize that the Dukes haven't been slaying giants, but they have come out on top with decent competition.  Stay healthy, play team basketball, and persevere when the going gets tough. Do that and you win back the fans, myself included.  I thought after last season that Coach Dambrot was done.  I will be elated if this is the begining of him proving me wrong.  Let's Go Dukes

Well said. That's exactly how I felt after last season, and very many fans too. But this team has the burden of following last years dismal record. The fans will show up if these Dukes keep winning. And after 60 years of following our team. Right now, I see, they have that potential. The bigs look great so far, and the interior game is looking very good. The perimeter passing is sharp, fast, and makes defenses look confused. But the passes from the perimeter to the interior these past two game has been very good.  KD deserves a big amount of credit to get a very balanced team on the court this year. Keep winning and the Coop will fill up. Go Dukes.

 

11/28/2022 1:06 pm  #12


Re: This season so far

KD scheduled well unless we owe return visits next year for all these home games.  Some challenging, some confidence builders to get depth in playing time.  The KY game looks good and the game was actually closer than the final score looked.

5-1 is nice but we ain’t seen the real potential of this team until maybe after the DePaul game.   

We won without a complete front line which is a good sign but we really need more depth here soon.

Dae Dae Grant is the best news of the season and seems more in tune with KD than even Sincere was. 

KD lost a lot but has managed to rebuild nicely.  The portal tore his team apart but KD seems to have learned how to manage it in favor of the type of school Duquesne is... we will lose stars but pick up others with potential who want the playing time and a decent multi bid league like the A10.

The new associate head coach seems to be the missing piece on the staff... able to translate KD to the rest of the team and his culture.

Here’s to a hopeful season.  20 wins is not out of reach.

Last edited by coffee (11/28/2022 1:08 pm)


COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything
 

11/28/2022 3:30 pm  #13


Re: This season so far

As far as the season so far, I can't see anyone give it anything other than an "A".   We have won every game except Kentucky.  
-More students are attending each game (don't count Thanksgiving break).
-The players are working together
-It is fun to watch and they are competitive

Go Dukes

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

uLINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • Pittsburgh Sports Now