Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2022 10:27 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of California Santa Barbara Gauchos

Post game press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry49tuN4-fs
0:00 Dae Dae and Tre [Williams]
11:28 Coach D

11/29/2022 10:30 pm  #27

Tejas_Duke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

That Pierre-Louis could jump out of his shoes. Great work from the guys competing against some former Power 5 players.

I was just about to comment on his performance.  That kid was great.

6 turnovers though!

11/29/2022 10:37 pm  #28

-Dae Dae says his steel city tattoo represents his hometown of Lorain, Ohio because there used to be a steel mill. When he realized Pittsburgh also calls themselves steel city he guessed he's destined to be here because he is representing two in one.
-Reece has a bad ankle sprain. Unsure if he'll be back by Saturday.
-Grant has been sick and missed the past two practices. 

11/30/2022 12:08 am  #29

I am exhilarated about tonight's game against a good UCSB team. I am equally elated about our 6-1 start. Like many on this forum, I am impressed with both the individual talent and depth of talent of the Dukes this year.
However,  something about tonight's boxscore jumped out at me and that had to do with the scoring in our backcourt. Take away the ultra-impressive scoring of Grant and the numbers were weak. I do appreciate the restoration of guards and assists, but are we begining to rely on Dae Dae too much to get our scoring. If a team doubles on Grant, are the other guards ready to make up the scoring difference? Clark (great defense), Brewer and Rozier (great assist players) but the shooting?
I bring this up not to be critized as a Debbie-downer but as a topic for discussion. What is the feeling on this board?  I have no concerns about how we have played, but I do wonder if this couldbe a future concern.

11/30/2022 6:04 am  #30

Simms wrote:

I know it's sort of blasphemy to even say this, but I swear that Dae Dae looked like Steph Curry on some of his threes tonight.  Also, the play where he drove and made that absurd pass to Brewer who drained the three was ::Chef's Kiss::

Yes he did. I was there at the game and his quick release from a pass to a three looks a lot like Steph. This guy can really shoot. Great effort all game by everyone. UCSB was a very good team that never let up and their guards were a hand full, but their bigs are very good and made rebounding and scoring in the paint a challenge. Small crowd, but keep winning and the place will fill up.  

11/30/2022 6:11 am  #31

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

I am exhilarated about tonight's game against a good UCSB team. I am equally elated about our 6-1 start. Like many on this forum, I am impressed with both the individual talent and depth of talent of the Dukes this year.
However, something about tonight's boxscore jumped out at me and that had to do with the scoring in our backcourt. Take away the ultra-impressive scoring of Grant and the numbers were weak. I do appreciate the restoration of guards and assists, but are we begining to rely on Dae Dae too much to get our scoring. If a team doubles on Grant, are the other guards ready to make up the scoring difference? Clark (great defense), Brewer and Rozier (great assist players) but the shooting?
I bring this up not to be critized as a Debbie-downer but as a topic for discussion. What is the feeling on this board? I have no concerns about how we have played, but I do wonder if this couldbe a future concern.

UCSB was guarding our perimeter players tight and they had less open shots. Also, playing that tight made passing around the perimeter harder. Dae Dae shot 3's with his defender in his face most of the game and he was dead on tonight. This was a very good team we just beat.

11/30/2022 7:30 am  #32

It’s been a long time since I felt comfortable in saying the Dukes have the best player in the city on their roster, in Dae Dae. And what a shame that it’s in total obscurity!!! 😪😪😪

11/30/2022 8:29 am  #33

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Grant is a guy to guy that they have not had in an awful long time. I'm thinking the transfer from Notre Dame. He plays defense also.

That guy Mark Stevenson 6’6”avg around 26 pts but agree Grant has unlimited range and in my opinion is a total all around player. Ranks right there as best transfer in DU history! 57% threes incredible

Last edited by Motor (11/30/2022 8:33 am)

11/30/2022 9:15 am  #34

I only got to watch the second half of this one, but was impressed by the defense. The switches seemed much more thoughtful and disrupted the flow for UCSB. A few times I thought they would get to drive the lane, and any openings just closed up. Seemed less helter-skelter, and the lane coverage didn't leave a lot of uncontested shots on the perimeter. 

Hopefully the guys that can stick around will stick around. Like the make up of this team.

11/30/2022 9:29 am  #35

11/30/2022 9:55 am  #36

Going into last night, I felt UCSB was our toughest test so far except for Kentucky, and we came out with a W.   

Really need Reece back.   But rather he take it slow now, and be 100% than come back a day too soon and have that linger.

Seems like the players are in, on each other, Brewer walking off the court with Dixon, arm and arm, talking.   Or maybe it was Rozier, cant remember.   Rotroff walking to mid court from the bench during a timeout to dap up teammates.   But stuff like that makes me think these guys have bought into each other and have a team concept.

Last edited by townsonkid (11/30/2022 10:22 am)

11/30/2022 9:59 am  #37

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/team/duquesne
Another view point.
The A10 must be taking notice!
Go Dukes TCB vrs Ball State 

11/30/2022 10:45 am  #39

When UCSB cut the lead to 4 with 8½ minutes to go, what does KD do?  He puts in a freshman point guard to stabilize the Dukes on both ends of the court. When Kareem Rozier left the game with 3 minutes remaining, the Dukes lead was back up to 9. This young man now has 17 assists and ONE turnover for the season; what a mature freshman.

Tre Williams battled his butt off tonight against a really big and talented backcourt, with limited offensive success. Until…. The lead was 4, Tre was fouled and made both FT’s pushing the lead to six. On the next possession, he grabbed an offensive rebound giving Clark another 3 opportunity. Next possession, Tre scored on his jump hook increasing the lead to 8.

Bleeds Red & Blue, I don’t see any concern in scoring from our other guards. Last night, Brewer had 13 and McGriff 7. Clark had a cold shooting night, but had 3 wide open looks from the 3 that he will make at least half of the time. As Rozier gets more experience, he will score a little (but certainly is a run the offense and pass first guy). Until we get healthy, I have more of a concern in scoring from the 3 and 4 spots.

Nice win by the Dukes.

11/30/2022 11:29 am  #40

The only negative take away from last night's game was the sparse attendance IMO.  Dukes looked pretty solid at both ends of the court. Any team that had a player the quality of Grant would be going to him at least as much as the Dukes do. More athleticism and depth here than I've seen in awhile. UCSB is a very good team and would have beaten most of out teams over the last 10 years or more. Maybe way more! Very enjoyable game even though I sat behind the family of one of the UCSB players and dad (apparently) never shut up once! Felt sorry for the player really. Had to listen to his coach and his dad. GO DUKES!!

11/30/2022 12:11 pm  #41

NapaDuke wrote:

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

However, something about tonight's boxscore jumped out at me and that had to do with the scoring in our backcourt. Take away the ultra-impressive scoring of Grant and the numbers were weak. I do appreciate the restoration of guards and assists, but are we begining to rely on Dae Dae too much to get our scoring. If a team doubles on Grant, are the other guards ready to make up the scoring difference? Clark (great defense), Brewer and Rozier (great assist players) but the shooting?
I bring this up not to be critized as a Debbie-downer but as a topic for discussion. What is the feeling on this board? I have no concerns about how we have played, but I do wonder if this couldbe a future concern.

UCSB was guarding our perimeter players tight and they had less open shots. Also, playing that tight made passing around the perimeter harder. Dae Dae shot 3's with his defender in his face most of the game and he was dead on tonight. This was a very good team we just beat.

We beat UCSB, a team that is a consensus pick to win their conference and has two 1st team preseason players in their starting  five. So I agree, it was an excellent win.

11/30/2022 12:17 pm  #42

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

When UCSB cut the lead to 4 with 8½ minutes to go, what does KD do?  He puts in a freshman point guard to stabilize the Dukes on both ends of the court. When Kareem Rozier left the game with 3 minutes remaining, the Dukes lead was back up to 9. This young man now has 17 assists and ONE turnover for the season; what a mature freshman.

Tre Williams battled his butt off tonight against a really big and talented backcourt, with limited offensive success. Until…. The lead was 4, Tre was fouled and made both FT’s pushing the lead to six. On the next possession, he grabbed an offensive rebound giving Clark another 3 opportunity. Next possession, Tre scored on his jump hook increasing the lead to 8.

Bleeds Red & Blue, I don’t see any concern in scoring from our other guards. Last night, Brewer had 13 and McGriff 7. Clark had a cold shooting night, but had 3 wide open looks from the 3 that he will make at least half of the time. As Rozier gets more experience, he will score a little (but certainly is a run the offense and pass first guy). Until we get healthy, I have more of a concern in scoring from the 3 and 4 spots.

Nice win by the Dukes.

You make some good points. We do need Reese back asap. He will add some needed scoring inside.

11/30/2022 12:26 pm  #43

Great game last night.  Fun to be at.  Too bad so many in the area missed it.  The guys work hard and play so well as a team.  Been some really nice non-PG coverage, all season really.  So sick of the massive coverage the PG gives Pitt.  I get that the A10 is not the ACC and there are many more Pitt graduates in the area.  But seriously - the Dukes maybe get a sniff in the morning briefs even when Pitt isn’t playing.  I have emailed Ryan Winn twice about it and get the usual BS about their market and being short staffed.  Even though the Dukes got a mini headline this morning, the wire story had the wrong score and the venue was listed as the UPMC ROONEY Fieldhouse.  At least proofread what you are publishing.  I am not convinced that we will get coverage when they win more.  There are some great stories there.  Like Dae Dae.  The PG needs to be a NEWS paper and not just a Pitt News....paper.  Ok I’m done. 😀

Last edited by RedandBlueRUs (11/30/2022 12:26 pm)

11/30/2022 12:36 pm  #44

I gave up and cancelled the PG long ago, not just based on Sports coverage, but their general "Block" influenced  editorial slant; but certainly, you are correct that they cater to Pitt Sports for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the advertising dollars spent by Pitt in the PG.   

Reporters at the PG are also ON STRIKE right now, so don't expect anything but high school level "journalism" from this fish wrap!  My suggestion is cancel the PG and look for other options for News and Sports coverage!

11/30/2022 1:04 pm  #45

A few comments on the game last night.  What I liked most about the Dukes performance:
1. When the game got close in the second-half after a 7-0 run by the Gauchos, KD called a T.O.  I might add that during the Gaucho run there were several breakdowns in the Dukes defensive effort; such as failure to box out guards on the defensive boards, leading to easy put-backs for the Gauchos.  After the T.O. The Dukes came out and turned up the defense significantly making it very difficult on UCSB to find decent shots.  I think it is a "must have" component of successful team to be able to turn the tide in a game with your defense.  This was a prime factor in the win.
2. Dae Dae Grant!  Don't need to say much, just a beautiful shooting performance the likes of which we haven't seen since Micah Mason.  Dae Dae also picked up the defense in the late stages of the game with some nice anticipation and a steal.  He was charged with, It think three turnovers, but again relying in my memory;  I believe two may have been quick passes inside that were mishandled by the receiver.  These could have been two more assists instead of turnovers.  Bottom-line in this one, is that the Dukes had a "go-to guy" in Dae Dae Grant, while UCSB, as talented as they were; didn't have that one guy that stepped up when they really needed a hoop.  
3. Boardwork: Although the Dukes were outrebounded by a small margin; I give props to Tre and Rotroff for doing some fine work altering shots and policing the boards on both ends.  We'll just need to keep these guys fresh and healthy until others can get healthy enough to contribute.  
4. Point guard play:  The Dukes had a clear advantage in quickness with Brewer and Rozier.  
Things I didn't like:
1. Some uncharacteristic turnovers; mainly seemed to be from lack of communication or awareness by the passer and or receiver.  Just some unforced errors that I think will get cleaned up as players come to expect certain things from their teammates.  
2. Guards boxing out:  I touched on this above; but it is so important.  The Dukes surrendered some easy buckets to Gaucho guards crashing the glass after missed shots.  

Overall, an enjoyable game to watch; a nice victory over a talented team that I think will get better as they become more comfortable playing together.  The Gauchos should do well down the road; as should the Dukes! 

11/30/2022 1:09 pm  #46

El Presidente wrote:

The only negative take away from last night's game was the sparse attendance IMO.  Dukes looked pretty solid at both ends of the court. Any team that had a player the quality of Grant would be going to him at least as much as the Dukes do. More athleticism and depth here than I've seen in awhile. UCSB is a very good team and would have beaten most of out teams over the last 10 years or more. Maybe way more! Very enjoyable game even though I sat behind the family of one of the UCSB players and dad (apparently) never shut up once! Felt sorry for the player really. Had to listen to his coach and his dad. GO DUKES!!

Last years performance killed attendance at the start of this year, but the Coop will fill up by Conf. play as long as these Dukes keep winning. At the game last night, I watched this Dukes team beat a very good UCSB team that could hold it's own in A-10 play.  I think this just might be a very good year for the Dukes. I'm going to the next game on Sat. too. It's fun watching this level of BB.  Go Dukes !

11/30/2022 4:46 pm  #47

Cool highlight video put together by Duquesne:

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1598059432084090880

11/30/2022 6:30 pm  #48

BluffHunter wrote:

Cool highlight video put together by Duquesne:

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1598059432084090880

Pretty cool, but it was even more impressive at court side last night. 

11/30/2022 6:43 pm  #49

levon1975 wrote:

I gave up and cancelled the PG long ago, not just based on Sports coverage, but their general "Block" influenced  editorial slant; but certainly, you are correct that they cater to Pitt Sports for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the advertising dollars spent by Pitt in the PG.   

Reporters at the PG are also ON STRIKE right now, so don't expect anything but high school level "journalism" from this fish wrap!  My suggestion is cancel the PG and look for other options for News and Sports coverage!

Patience. The PG is already in a classic business down spiral and will soon be out of business. When that happens Duquesne will continue to get the same amount of coverage.

11/30/2022 7:07 pm  #50

Motor wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Grant is a guy to guy that they have not had in an awful long time. I'm thinking the transfer from Notre Dame. He plays defense also.

That guy Mark Stevenson 6’6”avg around 26 pts but agree Grant has unlimited range and in my opinion is a total all around player. Ranks right there as best transfer in DU history! 57% threes incredible

Mark Stevenson had the smoothest jump shot that I have witnessed in person. Easily one of the best transfers Duquesne has had.

Board footera