Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2022 8:03 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Ball State University Cardinals

The Dukes via Mr. Clark just made sports center#4 top 10. The announcers screaming The Dukes!!!!Not the blue lion😂Good stuff Coach & staff, players & administration.

12/04/2022 11:12 am  #27

Can't stop watching that last shot. Really one of the greatest endings to a Dukes game ever and I've see some humdingers!!

12/04/2022 12:13 pm  #28

While on the subject of great Dukes endings, two or three others stick out.  Obviously, the Bernie O'keefe ending vs. Providence at the Civic Arena.  Then the improbable Andy Sissini prayer answered vs. St. Bonaventure at Olean.  And, finally the Derrick Colter running 30 plus footer at Palumbo vs. St. Bona again.  But, all of those shots were uncontested.  What makes Clark's case so different  was that the defender was draped all over him.  Clark had to go through  body twists and contortions just to get his shot off.  But, I digress!  It was a win for the ages.  

12/04/2022 12:47 pm  #29

grammudder wrote:

While on the subject of great Dukes endings, two or three others stick out.  Obviously, the Bernie O'keefe ending vs. Providence at the Civic Arena.  Then the improbable Andy Sissini prayer answered vs. St. Bonaventure at Olean.  And, finally the Derrick Colter running 30 plus footer at Palumbo vs. St. Bona again.  But, all of those shots were uncontested.  What makes Clark's case so different  was that the defender was draped all over him.  Clark had to go through  body twists and contortions just to get his shot off.  But, I digress!  It was a win for the ages.  

Here's another good one from another Clark. (about the 6:50 mark.)
Duquesne v. Iowa - 2009 Nov. 17 - Last 6 Minutes - Bing video

12/05/2022 8:20 am  #30

stew wrote:

Unbelievable win,best finish for Duquesne in 40 years.

Great ending indeed but I think the Derrick Colter buzzer beater against the Bonnies was a bit better.  Bonnies are a big rival and that game went back and forth down the stretch

12/05/2022 8:48 am  #31

Styles1229 wrote:

stew wrote:

Great ending indeed but I think the Derrick Colter buzzer beater against the Bonnies was a bit better.  Bonnies are a big rival and that game went back and forth down the stretch

Here’s the Derrick Colter buzzer beater….
https://youtu.be/_oiuynxtsF8

12/05/2022 9:02 am  #32

https://twitter.com/goduquesne/status/1304058427828776963
No video that I could find of O’Keefe’s game winner.

12/05/2022 9:15 am  #33

From Duquesne Athletics after Tevin Brewer’s game winning shot vs North Florida (prior to Jimmy Clark’s buzzer beater):

IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING ...

DU'S MOST-RECENT LATE-GAME HEROICS
Game-winners with three or fewer seconds remaining

Player, Opponent    Date    Shot    Time    Final
Aaron Lovelace vs Pitt    12/12/00    layup    :02.2    71-70
<B>Kieron Achara at Saint Francis U    12/22/06    3-ptr    :00.0    72-71
Derrick Colter vs. St. Bonaventure    1/25/14    3-ptr    :00.0    83-81</B>
Micah Mason at Saint Francis U    12/12/15    jumper    :02.0    67-65
Primo Spears vs. New Hampshire    12/11/21    jumper    :03.5    64-62
Tevin Brewer vs. North Florida    11/21/22    floater    :01.0    83-82
BOLD indicates true buzzer-beaters

Last buzzer-beating win: Derrick Colter 3-pointer to defeat St. Bonaventure (83-81), 1/25/14
Last court storm by Duquesne: Following a 64-55 win over Pitt at PPG Paints Arena, 12/2/16 (ended a 15-game series losing streak)
Last court storm by a Duquesne opponent: St. Bonaventure fans following a 64-62 win at Reilly Center, 2/5/11 (SBU snapped an eight-game DU win streak with on a 3-pointer by Michael Davenport with :01.6 left)

12/05/2022 9:19 am  #34

12/05/2022 9:37 am  #35

That’s great publicity for the Dukes and Jimmy Clark.

12/05/2022 10:10 am  #36

Great Caesar's Ghost! On the CBS Morning Show with Gayle, Tony and Nate Jimmy Clark was featured in the "Here's Your World" clip that opens the show! The showed his buzzer beater at the half and the shot that won the game! Talk about great publicity!!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/05/2022 10:44 am  #37

Dukes got some headlines, for sure, #4 play on espn top 10 Saturday, CBS morning show!!!   Now they need to follow it up, keep winning.   UCSB was the start of a strong stretch of games for the Dukes, 2-0 so far.   Marshall next, and appears to be a tough opponent.   They also have 1 loss.   Should have a Xmas time mix at the Coop with the red and green Thursday.   Hopefully the boys are rested by then and Reece is back.  Might be the first "big" crowd of the year. 

12/05/2022 1:42 pm  #38

New to the board.  I was a student athlete back in the late 90s and had a number of classes with Pipkens, James, Price, Bosnic, etc.  It was a great experience getting to know them all and supporting the group as that team showed a lot of potential.  I've been following the Dukes ever since and pulling for them to make some strides.  A few have said it but I have to echo the comradely and IQ that this team has is above anything I've seen in the last 30 years.  Difficult to determine where they will finish but if they can stay healthy, and continue to grow as a unit they'll have a fighting change to beat anybody left in the non-conference games and in the A-10.  More than cautiously optimistic about this group!

12/05/2022 2:37 pm  #39

Welcome to the Forum CTS.

12/05/2022 6:28 pm  #40

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

stew wrote:

Here’s the Derrick Colter buzzer beater….
https://youtu.be/_oiuynxtsF8

Was there for that one too. Seem to remember Mark Schmidt slamming his clipboard down!  That basket may have been a bit more significant due to the rivalry but Clark's shot was way more difficult. There was really no shot available. Can't even imagine how Clark even saw the basket. Both great moments in Dukes basketball history.

12/06/2022 12:18 am  #41

phil95 wrote:

I love the poise, togetherness & maturity of this team! It is thrilling to see their positive attitude & winning ways create some good fortune.

If you aren't pumped about/for Rotroff, you aren't alive!

Grant was out of rhythm because of foul trouble and because humans don't shoot .55/.56/.90 for an entire season.

I think Ball State would finish somewhere between 12th & 9th in the A-

Winning this game despite missing Reese & an unhealthy amount of foul trouble against a hot-shooting, quality opponent has me very impressed.

The officiating was incredibly poor. I don't think one team benefitted disproportionately but, the refs were historically bad.

The perimeter defense needs work. The continued high shooting percentages by opponents from 3 is not a coincidence. I think too much is being asked of Williams to challenge deep shots while avoiding fouls, the two little point guards don't provide enough resistance, & the weakside help is dropping too deep in the paint. 

Couldn't agree more about Rotroff. I remember his first game when he dropped 17 against William and Mary. Austin is a much better and more mature player now who understands his role on the team and executes it with workmanlike quality. An MVP type player for us who works hard under the boards. Glad to have him for his sixth year on campus!!

Last edited by El Presidente (12/06/2022 12:24 am)

12/06/2022 8:30 pm  #42

Just a steady blue-collar guy,smart and consistent.

12/07/2022 1:55 pm  #43

The two wins against S&*^t stand out the most in my mind. In the 2000 game we had six men on the court so we got the technical foul. They had their best player take the free throw. Don't remember if it was one or two. He missed either the first one or both.. Aaron's layup was before the T. The second win was much easier. Achara's 3-pointer was nothing short of miraculous. I'm just glad we don't play the Frankies anymore. Bobby Mo as well.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera