Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2022 10:53 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Marshall University Thundering Herd

Why cant they get a former Duke to do color.Brian Shanahan comes to mind.. Going to turn the ESPN
volume down and listen to the radio broadcast. 

12/08/2022 11:22 pm  #27

Here's the postgame presser. Tre Clark and Dae Dae start it off and Coach's interview begins at 10:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06mjtMDR8c

12/08/2022 11:53 pm  #28

stew wrote:

Why cant they get a former Duke to do color.Brian Shanahan comes to mind.. Going to turn the ESPN
volume down and listen to the radio broadcast. 

Radio is a mess, at least the online 970 am feed.  Commercials during game action.  But i agree, Cannon is awful.   I think they are doing steelers coverage sunday.  We might get Josh Taylor and the guy that does ladies games.

12/09/2022 12:45 am  #29

12/09/2022 8:52 am  #30

I can’t disagree with any of the comments on last nights game. Turnovers were a recipe for disaster. However unlike last year the team did not go away and the second half was a complete turnaround however the hole was too deep but I love the fight in these guys.
Let’s move on take the lessons learned and go back out there Sunday and make amends. One loss is not going to define this season!
One lone bright sign was Gunn did not have the boot on.
Go Dukes

12/09/2022 9:57 am  #31

Let's not sugar coat it, last night was ugly.  Two things stand out to me from last night game. We were out coached, and we were out toughed. The inability to make adjustment to stop the self-inflicted bleeding in the first half was obvious and painful.  Adjustments were made at halftime but by then the damage was done.  Secondly, in the first half were weak physically and mentally as evidenced by our inability to move the ball, lazy passes, fumbling hands, inability to get back on defense, inability to box out, inability to body up inside. The first half was just awful.  Again, we came out stronger in the second half and played better, but in crunch time we didn't make key free throws and were very weak inside despite some valiant effort.

I agree that we can not let one horrible half define our season.  This team has a real chance of being special.  We are talented and deep, and in my opinion capable of winning the A10, I am hopeful that this team is disgusted by their performance last night and comes back and punishes NMS on Sunday 

12/09/2022 10:50 am  #32

Not too certain about our ability to win the A-10 but I always remain hopeful, well, discounting about two thirds of the way thru last season! The Thundering Herd was just too athletic inside for our bigs to handle IMO. This won't always be the case as we move thru the season. When we got the ball inside, we generally could not either hang on to it or maneuver against their defensive pressure to any great extent. We have some bigs who we know are not elite athletes and it showed big time last night. As I said in an earlier post, we are a work in progress, and I expect improvement moving forward. I would certainly hope that last night's game would be stuck in our craw and lead to a better effort this coming Sunday and beyond. GO DUKES! 

12/09/2022 11:08 am  #33

I agree with a few things but not all.
1.  Ellis has always been “not” that good
2.  We were out coached not just during the game, but if you saw some of their sets and what they did this was an excellently prepared team.
3.  I don’t think we were out toughed….we got down by a lot, difficult to come back and they are a better team.

It was competitive and we did have a chance but couldn’t do it.  Next game up.

12/09/2022 1:13 pm  #34

The Dukes looked sluggish coming out of the gate; they just didn't have much energy in the first half.  I believe the first half offense was an aberration; 14 turnovers (Marshall credited with 9 steals), giving up 6 offensive rebounds out of 17 Marshall misses, shooting 29.7% from the 2, etc.  I don't think we will see many more like this again from our offense (although the 7-1 Marshall freshman had a lot to do with the very poor performance by our frontcourt).  And it could have been worse than being down by 19 if Marshall shot the 3 better or made their foul shots.
Certainly like the fight in this team to come back and make it a bit interesting; they just couldn't get over the hump - missing key FT's (2-7 in the last 4 minutes) and open 3's - took too much energy to even get back to striking distance.
In order for the Dukes to become a very good, top 75, top tier A10 team, they need to significantly improve defensively.  Right now, the offense has to carry this team; when they don't (see first half), the defensive weakness is exposed.  The lack of defensive cohesiveness can be somewhat explained by having a roster who haven't played with each other before this season; that can explain some of the miscommunication on pick and rolls, back cuts, etc.  With the exception of Jimmy Clark, the Dukes are not able to consistently stop ball penetration (some of it might be due to Brewer getting back to full strength); it's a concern. When the Dukes double team, many times it's a weak effort and allows a pass to escape; when that happens, the Dukes don't rotate properly or quickly enough to recover; that needs to be cleaned up pronto (look at how effective Marshall's double teams were creating turnovers).  I'm certain that defense will become the primary point of emphasis in practice in the next couple of weeks.  Hopefully, we will see improvement starting with New Mexico State.

12/09/2022 1:54 pm  #35

Pretty heinous defensive breakdowns in the first half on the high screen and roll; which left the screener free to roll to the hoop for uncontested dunks.  Possibly, if the plan was to hedge and trap hard on the ball, then someone missed a rotation, at least twice, to pick up the screener on the roll..  I suspect this was the case. 
Coach D'Antoni from Marshall is an offensive wizard and his teams will always be well-drilled on offense and have guys who can run and shoot.  This offense has been highly utilized and probably changed the nature of the NBA game over the last 10-15 years.The difference from last year to this year was that they had more size and defended much better.  I don't think the Dukes were particularly well-prepared for Marshall's defense and all of the reaching they were doing on drives to the hoop and passes to the post.  They were very active with the hands and created a lot of turnovers that way.  Sometimes those reaches will draw fouls when they make contact, but in this case they seemed to be getting a lot of ball.  The switch to zone by Marshall late in the first half seemed to stymie the Dukes and made them a very tentative team on offense, leading to the rash of turnovers.  Next thing we knew it was a layup and dunking drill!

12/09/2022 2:10 pm  #36

I'm not sure we'll see a better team all year.   Maybe St Lou or Dayton.   Marshall really had it all, size, shooters, coach, 3s, blocks and a NBA player.  I wouldnt be shocked to see them make the NCAAs.

Speaking of St Lou, how is Yuri Collins a junior?   Seems like he is at least a grad senior by now.   :-)))

12/09/2022 2:49 pm  #37

Marshall a very solid team. Very disappointed in our 4&5s. Yes they rebounded but after an offensive rebound they all looked to kick the ball outside.Reminded me of grade school basketball with the big clumsy kid with no confidence. Who cares if the shot gets blocked. Maybe the referees call a foul. Duquesnes bigs lacked confidence refusing to attack the hoop after getting an offensive rebound. Secondly, Dixon, Hronsky & Rozier played like Frosh. Final point Dambrot does not like to control the game using timeouts at crucial moments. 1st half run killed the Dukes. Work in progress get a win this Sunday after the Steelers/ Ravens game. You would think the NMSU coaching staff & players are a total mess as the result of the current criminal investigation via the Nov 19 shooting incident. Go Dukes.

12/09/2022 4:24 pm  #38

The Dukes went to #127 on Kenpom from #114 before the game. 6th in the A10

12/09/2022 10:31 pm  #39

Probably this is a non-issue - don’t really know but will bring it up in any case.

I was at the game with a very well-versed basketball friend of mine who was not particularly a DUQ fan, nor had he ever been to a game at the COOP before.   Midway thru the first half he made a comment to me which I thought could be very relevant as the game progressed.  He said - “Seems to me that the baskets are very ridged at both ends – judging by the number of shots rimming out for both teams.”   MARSHALL shot their 3 pointers at a very poor 27.8% and over-all 47.2% with their foul shooting at only 56.3% - and DUQ shot 3 pointers at a subpar for them 38.7% - 34.2% overall and only 52.9% from the line.  TERRIBLE shooting for both teams except for the ‘in the paint shooting’ & stuffing for Marshall. 

It begs the questions – ‘is their a standard for rim stiffness at the NCAA level?’  Also are there standards for air pressure in the ball?

Guess we would never know if there were unintended deviations…  but you gotta wonder with the atrocious shooting all around!!

Last edited by gjgsr (12/09/2022 10:32 pm)

12/10/2022 1:31 pm  #40

I offer a bit of solace. To those that don't believe that lightning CAN strike twice. First ESPN and CBS have the Jimmy Clark double buzzer beaters. Friday morning, the CBS morning show goes to Indiana. The halftime show featured the Red Panda. She rides a unicycle. She balances bowls on the top of her right foot while peddling back and forth. Then she flips the bowls into the air and they all land perfectly on her head. It has to be at least ten years (probably more) that she performed at our halftimes. I'm sure we can't afford her now but I recognized her immediately.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/10/2022 2:25 pm  #41

I remember her very well. Really great stuff. Hope we can bring in more than the 4th grade team from St. Anselm once in awhile!! 

12/10/2022 2:40 pm  #42

My favorite was Christopher who did The Village People.  Laughed till I cried.  Quick change was fun as well.

12/10/2022 2:56 pm  #43

kcc173 wrote:

My favorite was Christopher who did The Village People. Laughed till I cried. Quick change was fun as well.

Agree. Quick Change was truly amazing. Miss those days!

12/10/2022 11:57 pm  #44

Levon1975 wrote:  The switch to zone by Marshall late in the first half seemed to stymie the Dukes and made them a very tentative team on offense, leading to the rash of turnovers.  Next thing we knew it was a layup and dunking drill!
This is a recurring problem regardless of whom the coach is. Everhart team with Sanders, Clark - We are up by 17 at the half against Pitt. Dixon comes out in the second half with a zone. We wilted. We were faster than them. I believe that Damian was matched with Morningstar or another big with limited mobility but the zone killed us. We just kept methodically passing the ball around the perimeter. The shot clock is running down so we launch an off-balance prayer. We lose in double-OT. When Ferry was asked why not a zone, he implied that his players weren't ready for multiple schemes! 
The point I'm trying to make is you don't need to run a zone but you should practice against it. Don't we scout the opposition to determine how they run their offense. Sheesh!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/12/2022 10:30 pm  #45

highlights (even though this guys videos are super choppy and sometimes the audio is not matched):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xr6U6DX7A

Board footera