Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2013 9:14 pm  #1

DU got National Attention tonight

This is about the program, not McConnell.  If you saw Arizona beat. Duke tonight you saw the level of Arizona.  Here is what you heard:
-McConnell played at Duquesne two years ago but announced he was leaving because he wanted to play on a bigger stage and wanted a chance to get to the NCAA - translation - they weren't getting there with the players they had.  The announcer said he announced he was leaving, and then was going to go to Virginia but Miller then called him.
-End of game he was interviewed and the interviewer said, "Two years ago you were at Duquesne.  Now you are on this stage at Arizona.' Translation - "you played for a crappy team and a crappy school - you came to Arizona to play for an excellent program and get to play good teams and beat them.
-BTW, TJ was excellent and got his own video review of what he did near the end of the game and he was called (with the other guard) to be one of the best back courts in the country.
-Well, They made DU sound like S H - -.  I was actually somewhat embarassed and thought gee, this won't make people want to go to DU - but they have no one to blame but themselves.
-Can you blame an athlete for wanting to better himself from a program with players who couldn't even catch a number of his passes as I remember, to go to a successful place.
Hey, I love DU but I think my synopsis was honest.
FAM

Last edited by FAM (11/29/2013 9:16 pm)

11/29/2013 9:17 pm  #2

Re: DU got National Attention tonight

Well look who just caught up. It's been that way for two decades.

11/29/2013 9:59 pm  #3

rittersdiner wrote:

Well look who just caught up. It's been that way for two decades.

Try four decades.

11/29/2013 10:07 pm  #4

Virginia was not getting him to a national stage -- are you kidding me? Miller's recruiting pitch started when we played there a couple years ago.

The fact that he went along with yet another gratuitous swipe at Duquesne tells me one thing: He's a punk. Ron Everhart recruited him before anyone heard of him. He ought to be thankful to Ron and Duquesne that he's able to lice his dream with another college basketball douche bag in Miller.

11/30/2013 8:44 am  #5

McConnell was Arizona bound in December his final year at Duquesne. R.E never had a chance trusted  people from that family alumni fans & ofcourse his superiors . It will all change for today with a big win against its rival Pitt.

11/30/2013 11:47 am  #6

Again, for what it's worth, I also heard that Miller tampered with TJ, starting when we played AZ at the beginning of the 11 - 12 season and continuing during the season. It's hearsay that can't be proven. And I was told in February '12 by a personal friend of TJ that he was transferring - although there was no indication as to where he might go. All this fits in with the previous posts in this thread. It's likely TJ knew that RE was not going to be extended through contacts with his aunt and father - although that probably had little to do with his decision to leave.

12/01/2013 7:24 am  #7

I know it is well intended but can we please stop talking about that family.   I think the entire family are douchbags & talking about them isn't going to change anything.

If you are going to talk about them please list it in the title of the thread so I can ignore that entire thread.

12/01/2013 7:59 am  #8

Positivity, who'd have thunk it? I think that people who know the game some, can see past the final score, and realize that the Dukes played pretty well against what may turn out to be a very good Pitt team. If we had shot better from the line, the score would have better indicated how well the team played.

12/02/2013 10:27 pm  #9

Teams do not play well when they lose by 17 points!  The days of the moral victories should have passed years ago. Ferry does need time to get his troops in line but we have guards who refuse to distribute the ball and a team that doesn't want to rebound.  And please forget RE, ElDuque believes RE and Duquesne gave TJ a forum did you ever consider the flip side. RE recruited a 5"8" point guard by the time he was done growing and working his butt off turned into one of the better guards in the A-10.  The fact that RE didn't have the guts to play the kid full time and watched as the Detriot two(Talley & Evans) attempted to freeze him out.  BTW where is Talley now!!!!  I'm sorry not one of you would refuse a better position in your careers so let this go and concentrate on our problems.  We should expect to compete for a A-10 champioship and that could be possible if we get behind the current group who is working hard. One last point come to grips with the fact Zona very well may win it all so this story isn't going away!!!

12/03/2013 8:04 am  #10

buckwheat, I guess you're someone who won't let facts get in the way of your argument. In his two seasons at Duquesne, McConnell averaged 30.6 mpg as a freshman (behind only seniors Saunders and Clark) and 34.3 mpg as a sophomore, tops on the team by more than 3 minutes over Monteiro (a senior). In each season, he averaged more than 10 mpg better than Talley and Evans. So how exactly did Ron Everhart "freeze out" McConnell.

No one denies anyone the opportunity to strive for something better. We all thought McConnell came here to build something better. With it would have come the same opportunity as being a complementary piece at a program that spends more on media room hot dogs than Duquesne spends on its entire program. And we all know how McConnell ended up at Arizona. But you know what? Read Duquesne fans have moved on. 

I know most people believe in a 3-strike police. I, however, am from New Jersey. I will issue one very fair warning to you: If you are here to troll, you will be booted quickly. You're welcome to post and to have legitimate positions on any topic, but I'm not going to tolerate agendas here.

12/03/2013 9:59 am  #11

buckwheat wrote:

Teams do not play well when they lose by 17 points!  The days of the moral victories should have passed years ago. Ferry does need time to get his troops in line but we have guards who refuse to distribute the ball and a team that doesn't want to rebound.  And please forget RE, ElDuque believes RE and Duquesne gave TJ a forum did you ever consider the flip side. RE recruited a 5"8" point guard by the time he was done growing and working his butt off turned into one of the better guards in the A-10.  The fact that RE didn't have the guts to play the kid full time and watched as the Detriot two(Talley & Evans) attempted to freeze him out.  BTW where is Talley now!!!!  I'm sorry not one of you would refuse a better position in your careers so let this go and concentrate on our problems.  We should expect to compete for a A-10 champioship and that could be possible if we get behind the current group who is working hard. One last point come to grips with the fact Zona very well may win it all so this story isn't going away!!!

Silly post. It's hard to freeze out a point guard, considering how much he handles the ball. Go root for Arizona.

12/03/2013 12:44 pm  #12

BTW, Talley is starting for a 5-1 team whose only loss is to Kentucky. I suspect that Lauren and Buckwheat are the same person with interchangeable parts.

12/03/2013 12:45 pm  #13

ElDuque wrote:

buckwheat, I guess you're someone who won't let facts get in the way of your argument. In his two seasons at Duquesne, McConnell averaged 30.6 mpg as a freshman (behind only seniors Saunders and Clark) and 34.3 mpg as a sophomore, tops on the team by more than 3 minutes over Monteiro (a senior). In each season, he averaged more than 10 mpg better than Talley and Evans. So how exactly did Ron Everhart "freeze out" McConnell.

No one denies anyone the opportunity to strive for something better. We all thought McConnell came here to build something better. With it would have come the same opportunity as being a complementary piece at a program that spends more on media room hot dogs than Duquesne spends on its entire program. And we all know how McConnell ended up at Arizona. But you know what? Read Duquesne fans have moved on. 

I know most people believe in a 3-strike police. I, however, am from New Jersey. I will issue one very fair warning to you: If you are here to troll, you will be booted quickly. You're welcome to post and to have legitimate positions on any topic, but I'm not going to tolerate agendas here.

Thanks ED. I was going to issue a post similar to yours asking buckwheat to support his ridiculous
claims that RE didn't have the guts to play TJ full time. You took care of that with your stats on playing time. Little "buck" must have an agenda if he accuses RE of not having guts about anything. I was only going to add one more thing in my response to "buck" - and that was to ask him if he ever heard of  the word "loyalty" .

12/03/2013 4:19 pm  #14

You mean like your fact based statement that "we all know how McConnell got to Arizona". That's a legitimate position hope you did the same amount of research all the local writers did when they wrote there fair we'll RE stories. You can only build when the tools and material are supplied. Thanks for the warning why try to supply fact when fantasy seems to be this boards favorite.
Like a said if you care about the Duke's accept what is and move on and do it in a constructive manner.  Stop slandering people with hearsay and innuendo.

12/03/2013 4:29 pm  #15

Stop writing buckwheat. You are butchering the English language.

Lord, I hope you're a Pitt or Penn State grad.

12/03/2013 4:45 pm  #16

El D,
After buckwheat's first post, I was thinking you were a little hard on him/her.

After buckwheat's second post, I realized you got the right reading the first time.

12/03/2013 4:58 pm  #17

Board footera