Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2022 9:37 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers

Why is that place always packed?

Because there has been no other meaningful competition for the sports dollars in Dayton!  At least that is what Dave Harper says-he being the former assistant AD at Dayton.

Anyway, back to the game.  You don't win if you don't put the ball in the hoop.  The Dukes were ice cold at the start of both halves--two point FG's, three point FG's and FT's.  That scenario set an unfathomable tempo to try and overcome.  

I look forward to Rhode Island.  I firmly believe the Dukes will bounce back.

12/28/2022 9:44 pm  #27

The Dukes offensive system & execution are that of a bottom 3 A-10 school. The good news is that the offensive talent on the roster is somewhere between 6th & 8th in the league.  For this team to be a respected & serious winner in this league KD will need an offensive coordinator & to listen to that offensive coordinator. 

Most nights, the Dukes platoon system of bigs is going to work well in this year's A-10. No other A-10 team is going to throw 4 players as big, skilled, experienced, long, & athletic as Holmes, Camara, Blakney & Amzil at the Dukes.

Reece & Q were not ready for this stage & level of competition tonight. Brewer & Tre Clark were.

Chabbi has some serious upside.

I understand why Gunn went in the game, I don't understand why he got so many 2nd half minutes while things fell apart & he was gumming up the already struggling offense.. He has been injured so much & for so long he hasn't really, in my eyes, earned that much run when things aren't going well for him. His becoming an impactful A-10 player over the next 18-19 games seems like an incredible longshot. 

12/28/2022 9:45 pm  #28

Duquesne was something like 23% from beyond the arc and 44% overall.  If you take away Barre's and Rotroff's points (which I think were mostly putbacks or slams) then the overall % would drop to around 30% - not good enough to beat most A10 teams, and certainly not Dayton.  Just an overall bad shooting night.

12/28/2022 10:11 pm  #29

Phil I agree 1000% and as others have pointed out no rhythm offensively.  Not enough ball movement and movement without the ball, way too stagnant and dependent on this high pick and roll.  Reece and Tre will have problems against legit size at the 4 and 5, which Dayton exposed.  Barre can be really good, he has the length and was a presence defensively and is not bad offensively at this point - his future is bright.  He and Dixon would be legit A-10 4 and 5, but not this year.  Brewer and Kareem get exposed on D with their lack of height, but Brewer gives so much more offensively at this point and he hit some key shots tonight to keep us in it.  We will bounce back from this, but i also want to see an offense with a better scheme when you have to play half court and KD has to determine soon what his rotation will look like.  

12/29/2022 12:14 am  #30

I don't think losing to a Dayton team with tons of length that was ranked in the AP Top 25 at the beginning of the season is something to panic about. We can and should compete whistle to whistle in every game left in A10 play. I think it is realistic to be disappointed with more than 4 or 5 more losses. Not like it matters too much as whoever is coming out of the A10 will be the tournament winner... We just need to perfect our craft until that week.

12/29/2022 12:26 am  #31

A replay for those who dare to review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTIFqd_agCs

12/29/2022 9:05 am  #32

BluffHunter wrote:

I don't think losing to a Dayton team with tons of length that was ranked in the AP Top 25 at the beginning of the season is something to panic about. We can and should compete whistle to whistle in every game left in A10 play. I think it is realistic to be disappointed with more than 4 or 5 more losses. Not like it matters too much as whoever is coming out of the A10 will be the tournament winner... We just need to perfect our craft until that week.

Certainly an outcome that was not near what we wanted.  I have to agree with you that its not the end of the proverbial world.  Lets continue to develop our team and see what transpires now that we have a complete roster healthy.  Coach is definitely going to have another problem with keeping guys happy as playing time drops for some. I agree with others that Barre has the most upside now of any of the bigs and has the stature to complete as a true Center. 
 I watched the Fordham Davidson game last night and saw Fordham shoot like 3 for 31  from three at home in a 14 point loss. 
Rhode Island is next lets get them and go from there.  Certainly the next few games will tell us exactly where we stand in the A-10.
Go Dukes

12/29/2022 9:23 am  #33

It was the first game against an excellent opponent away.  What does concern me, is they beat us like this with 2 starters out.  This had nothing to do with coaching...they have better players.

12/29/2022 9:44 am  #34

The thing that was most disappointing to me was the lack of toughness of certain players, and a sense of unexpected intimidation from our more seasoned players.  We were outrebounded 41 - 27.   We were 5 of 21 shooting the three, only shot 7 FT and only made 2 (Dayton was 14 of 27).  A couple of our players refuse or unable to play defense leading to easy buckets. 

We can play so much better than we did last night, We need to regroup and come out ready to play on Saturday. 

Box score

Men's Basketball vs Dayton on 12/28/2022 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

12/29/2022 9:44 am  #35

FAM wrote:

It was the first game against an excellent opponent away.  What does concern me, is they beat us like this with 2 starters out.  This had nothing to do with coaching...they have better players.

You are correct, FAM. No matter who they have coaching, they have always had better players than us. They are not on Gonzaga's level, to be sure. However, it's the same effect. Until you have three or four Dance invitations in a five-year span, or so, you are going to recruit the second and third tier of players. You may get lucky one year (if we win the Temple A-10 championship under RE) and sneak into the Dance, but that's not enough. At this point, for me, I am just praying for that one lucky year. Please Lord...

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/29/2022 10:42 am  #36

No one has beaten Dayton at home this year.  Our 3's didn't drop.  The Dukes had no one in the the paint to rebound every time we launched a 3?  We scored better on the run after turnovers than in half-court in the first and second half. Mainly because Dayton was taller and in their set defense, they seem to be better than defending in transition. These Dukes can beat a team like Dayton, but when the 3's don't drop in and no one is in the paint for rebounds, you get a game like this one.  But, real tough place to play and all the experts didn't expect us to win this one. It's a long season and  this is just one conf. game. Go Dukes.  

12/29/2022 11:29 am  #37

We lose to the best team in the conference, at their arena, by 12 points. Everyone run-around and lament that the sky is falling. What is Dayton's win record at home? I guess that maybe we  won't be the only team to lose at Dayton this year.
Why is it that everytime we have a a bad game we revert to criticizing the coaches, the offensive/defensive schemes, the recruiting, the equipment manager and everything about the men's basketball program?
So now losing to Dayton is absolute proof that we are a bottom-dwelling loser. No hope for us!
Did we have a bad game? Yes.  Were there mistakes? Yes.  Was this game indicitive of how this team will play the rest of the year? We don't know, do we? So quit the apocalyptic outlook everytime we lose and the nothing-but-sunshine outlook when we win. We are not perfect, can you deal with that? I predict that Duquesne will lose at least one more game this year. Oh-noooooo!

12/29/2022 1:16 pm  #38

FAM wrote:

Thar's the bottom line. Superior talent!  Not certain I've seen a team with that many talented bigs before. Not in the A-10 at least.
I truly expected to lose this one whether by 2 or by 10. Dae Dae with only 9 shots in 35 minutes? Did I see that right?
We are at a huge disadvantage in the paint from an athletic standpoint against a team like Dayton and certainly some others we will encounter. 
What do we do? Keep working and keep recruiting good players like Dixon, Barre, Dae Dae, Clark, Brewer, etc
Dayton is almost beyond a typical A-10 program. They are always able to recruit outstanding players for as long as I can remember. Great arena and a great fan base that supports that team like we only wish we had.
This season will be OK. I see 20 wins or more and isn't that a huge improvement over what we saw last year?
We will have at least 5 scholarships to give next year and most likely more. They have to be on the level of a Barre, Grant, Clark, etc.if not beyond. Let's get it done! GO DUKES!

Last edited by El Presidente (12/29/2022 1:17 pm)

12/29/2022 2:13 pm  #39

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

We lose to the best team in the conference, at their arena, by 12 points. Everyone run-around and lament that the sky is falling. What is Dayton's win record at home? I guess that maybe we won't be the only team to lose at Dayton this year.
Why is it that everytime we have a a bad game we revert to criticizing the coaches, the offensive/defensive schemes, the recruiting, the equipment manager and everything about the men's basketball program?
So now losing to Dayton is absolute proof that we are a bottom-dwelling loser. No hope for us!
Did we have a bad game? Yes. Were there mistakes? Yes. Was this game indicitive of how this team will play the rest of the year? We don't know, do we? So quit the apocalyptic outlook everytime we lose and the nothing-but-sunshine outlook when we win. We are not perfect, can you deal with that? I predict that Duquesne will lose at least one more game this year. Oh-noooooo!

Good post. No team wins every game, even the best teams don't. But every game is a learning experience and  for the teams that end up on top, they adjust. I still believe this team is in the mix. 20 plus wins, At least 12-6 in the A-10 and in the top 4 at tourney time. I traveled to Dayton when RE coached. 13,000 seat arena at full capacity. Ron told me going there that the crowd noise is like nothing you every heard. The Dukes held the lead all the way to around 3 minutes left when Dayton on a 3,  took the lead for the first time, then the crowd yelled so loud I couldn't even hear myself talk. Billy Clark came right back and buried a 3 and shut them up. We lost that game by 1 point. That arena was built to win and the town of Dayton only has one sports team. The flyers. That's why the arena is full all the time and why they do get top recruits. Still, this Dukes team could have won if everything fell into place. It's a long season and this was a good effort. 

Last edited by NapaDuke (12/29/2022 2:26 pm)

12/29/2022 2:56 pm  #40

Just watched the replay, brutal.  For every game to be a learning experience you have to correct what you are doing wrong.  However, we have the same guys continually making the same mistakes. There is a reason why we were raked 269 in 3-point defense going into last night's game.  Against the Dukes it seems like every team has a player having a season high shoot the 3.  It was the same last night.  Certain guys seem absolutely clueless on who they should guard, and then make half ass attempts in closing out late.  

The A10 is a guard dominated league for the most part with players who will consistently drain wide open shots.  Three-point defense has to improve if we are going to compete for a championship. It is up to the coaches to fix this. 

One last point, I understand that KD wanted to play Gunn at the 4 to stretch the floor however, there is a reason why he played the 2 & 3 in D2.  One rebound in 22 minutes does not cut it.  I realize he is coming of an injury and playing rusty, I just think there are better options for the 4 slot.  Maybe play bigger with Gunn as the SF.  

12/29/2022 3:32 pm  #41

Im a glass half full guy.  We spotted them 10 points right off the bat and basically played them even for the the last 34 minutes despite terrible outside shooting on the road at the one of the toughest venues in the league.  I like the way our guys fought all night.  Going into the season you look at an A-10 opener on the road against Dayton and you consider that a loss.  It would have been nice to steal one but that didnt happen.  The results were not "encouraging" but they were not discouraging either.  I think we will know a lot more about this team at 3pm on Saturday.

12/29/2022 5:40 pm  #42

Styles1229 wrote:

Im a glass half full guy.  We spotted them 10 points right off the bat and basically played them even for the the last 34 minutes despite terrible outside shooting on the road at the one of the toughest venues in the league.  I like the way our guys fought all night.  Going into the season you look at an A-10 opener on the road against Dayton and you consider that a loss.  It would have been nice to steal one but that didnt happen.  The results were not "encouraging" but they were not discouraging either.  I think we will know a lot more about this team at 3pm on Saturday.

Styles1229:
I assume birthday wishes are in order. Hope today is a good one!

12/30/2022 6:53 am  #43

CLK wrote:

Just watched the replay, brutal.  For every game to be a learning experience you have to correct what you are doing wrong.  However, we have the same guys continually making the same mistakes. There is a reason why we were raked 269 in 3-point defense going into last night's game.  Against the Dukes it seems like every team has a player having a season high shoot the 3.  It was the same last night.  Certain guys seem absolutely clueless on who they should guard, and then make half ass attempts in closing out late.  

The A10 is a guard dominated league for the most part with players who will consistently drain wide open shots.  Three-point defense has to improve if we are going to compete for a championship. It is up to the coaches to fix this. 

One last point, I understand that KD wanted to play Gunn at the 4 to stretch the floor however, there is a reason why he played the 2 & 3 in D2.  One rebound in 22 minutes does not cut it.  I realize he is coming of an injury and playing rusty, I just think there are better options for the 4 slot.  Maybe play bigger with Gunn as the SF.  

Statistics do not lie. 269 in 3 point defense.Duquesne did not earn this ranking based on the Dayton game. Defense is simply a willingness to play with desire. Much easier coaching defense vs. offense. Needs to improve in league play asap

12/30/2022 9:08 am  #44

Watch the replay provided above and you will see Dayton establishing their early lead as the officials allowed Holmes and company push off defenders and set moving screens; which by the way continued the entire game.  If they called even half of Dayton’s moving screens they would have fouled out their entire front-line. After allowing Dayton to take a 10-0 lead with this garbage; they finally called a few offensive fouls on Dayton; but bottom line is that the moving screens by Dayton never stopped; the refs just  let them go. 
Dayton also had guys like Blackney a 20% 3-point shooter making shots in this one; so that won’t continue. 
Bottom-line, from what I saw; Duquesne will beat Dayton next game.

12/30/2022 11:18 am  #45

I have been refraining from posting to this point as I wanted to see what this team really is. The OOC isn’t a great indication because for the most part (and like other years) it was basically a cake schedule and almost all home games. Our best win to me is UCSB who is 10-2 now. Colgate was supposed to be a big win, they are 6-7 now, and we beat DePaul without multiple of their regular contributors playing. We should have lost to ball state save for a miracle shot.

Dayton went into this game with two less wins than us, with preseason matchups against teams like SMU, UNLV, Wisconsin, NC State, BYU, and Virginia Tech, and a lot of those were road/neutral games. They compete with these level of schools for recruits, and win some of those recruiting battles. Their center is probably a jump shot away from being a contributing NBA power forward, and probably the other 2-7 guys would all start and be a top 3 guy on our roster.

This is and has been the reality for awhile. I was hoping Grant could lead this team and it could use its depth to backfill, but this looked like every other Dayton or previously City game over the past 14 years or so I have been a fan where we are going in optimistic. Say what you want about the start, it just underscored for me that the the team wasn’t ready for that environment because they have only played at home in front of 1,000 fans all season. The atmosphere and talent gap punched them in the mouth. Credit to them for fighting throughout, but this was never really a game save for the run the dukes had to cut it to 5 at the end of the half. You know your not as good as the other team where your down basically double digits the entire game and their color person (who was good) is crediting us on our “fight” and lack of “give up” down 10. Basically saying we were doing a great job of keeping it at 8-11 when it could have easily been 15-20…..yeah.

We were overwhelmed all over the court, and Dayton didn’t have their two best point guards. Players like Holmes and Amzil are super skilled big men that could be starting at a lot of Power 5 schools. One might be an NBA player and both will be long time pros. Their guys look like the guys you see on tournament teams. Big, long, athletic, composed, skilled.

I think in regards to our roster, we have mistaken depth in numbers for depth in talent. This is obviously heavily influenced by watching them smash cupcake after cupcake in the friendly confines. Hronsky and Dixon have looked really good at times this year, but give them limited minutes in what I would consider a “real” college basketball game, and they look like they are freshman who aren’t ready for this level. This is why I think Gunn played as much as he did. Needed to match up with Daytons length and the freshman weren’t ready.

Daytons players are extremely well rounded as I highlighted above where our guys seem to maybe possess one or some of the qualities held by the Dayton players. It is because of this we will beat most inferior teams, but will likely struggle against a lot of good to better teams. Some examples below:

Brewer and Rozier
Pros: Both seem like really good ball handlers and pretty good distributors. Both can make open shots.

Cons: One is prob 5’6” and the other probably 5’8”. Makes them a defensive liability, and extremely limited offensively from a scoring opportunity standpoint.

Gunn: jury out

McGriff
Pros: good ball handler and passer, can score in bunches at times.

Cons: not in division 1 basketball shape and average to below average perimeter defender as a result, inconsistent scorer, seems to make a lot of bad turnovers.

Jimmy Clark
Pros: excellent ball handler, can create offense and jump shots for him and others with his athleticism and dribbling skills (think NBA guard dribble set ups to create space for himself to take a jump shot). A good example of this would be looking at some of his buzzer beaters. Excellent finisher around the cup, top notch. Can generate a decent amount of steals and probably our best spot up perimeter defender in terms of manning a guy up due to his athleticism.

Cons: Can take to many risks defensively because he can steal, and this can lead to open looks, easy cutting and kicking baskets, and fouls for him (probably trying to overcompensate and make plays to make up for lackluster perimeter D from others). Not a consistent jump shooter.

Dae Dae
Pros: pure scorer, can shoot from anywhere and carry a team offensively most nights. Does not get too up or down if he’s making or missing early, level headed scorer. Also an underrated passer, some of the best passes I’ve seen from our offense in half court sets to set up someone else have actually been from him.

Cons: opportunistic but not a great or committed defender from start to finish. Would like to see him drive and try to finish at the rim more, he draws fouls when he does. Only other concern is now after the Dayton game, is he going to be as good as his non con and MAC numbers indicate against “real” college basketball competition??????

Joe Reece
haven’t seen what others have seen to this point in limited action for Reece. Not a top tier A10 starting center (think Holmes or Osunniyi or Toppin or French or Langevine even recently) offensively or defensively. Misses a ton of bunnies on O, gets called for a lot of fouls on D, and doesn’t do much production wise on either side of the ball. Not to mention he’s undersized. Would feel way better with him coming off the bench.

Tre Williams
Pros: high motor on both ends and pretty soft hands.

Cons: way undersized, I think he is 6’5” maybe 6’6”. Inconsistent in the post on O. No jump shot. Struggles to rebound on both ends of the floor due to size. Mike Hughes changed his body here, this kid has not and needs to, especially with his height disadvantage.

Rotroff
Pros: actual good size for the position and as a result our best rebounder. Has really improved scoring around the basket and going up strong this year. One of the last loyal guys in college b ball.

Cons: not athletic enough to compete offensively and defensively at a high level most nights as a starter. Slow to get up and down the court. No longer a threat from 3, would actually open up our game offensively if he still was. Gets blocked or fouls a player often on O and D because he is second to those plays in terms of speed. He’s a good depth big and has played that role well this year.

Barre
Pros: definitely the highest upside big on the roster, I would be starting this guy, or at least giving him sixth man minutes. Legit 6’9” with a 7’4” wingspan. He is athletic, rebounds well, and cuts to the rack extremely effectively. He is our only big who does this. Has pretty good hands, not scared to throw a hard pick or go up to the basket strong. Rebounds pretty well

Cons: definitely raw (but not to where he shouldn’t be getting more and more minutes). You see some missed layups or walks because of that rawness, or bad fouls defensively at times, but this kid is probably almost better than Reece right now. I want to see him starting by the end of the year.

Dixon
Lots of upside, looked like he was seeing ghosts last night, need more time in A10 play to see what he will be moving forward. Less worried now about him getting snapped up by a P5 next year.

Hronsky
Jury out, definitely still needs time to adjust and develop to D1 American hoops, but has an interesting size and skill set. Could honestly see this guy being awesome down the road, or the next Gavin Bizeau.

Point is a lot of these guys have strengths to their games, but most also have glaring weaknesses or holes that will in most cases prevent them from beating a team like Dayton, especially in a hostile road environment when they haven’t been in that situation all year.

Lastly, kudos to their young former womens player who did the color commentary, she was concise, informative, and her timing to add analysis was spot on.

Don’t know what the bigger talent mismatch was: Dayton vs the Dukes on the floor or Christine Szabo vs Ellis Cannon

Last edited by Duques102 (12/30/2022 11:36 am)

12/30/2022 2:32 pm  #46

Duques102 wrote:

I have been refraining from posting to this point as I wanted to see what this team really is. The OOC isn’t a great indication because for the most part (and like other years) it was basically a cake schedule and almost all home games. Our best win to me is UCSB who is 10-2 now. Colgate was supposed to be a big win, they are 6-7 now, and we beat DePaul without multiple of their regular contributors playing. We should have lost to ball state save for a miracle shot.

Dayton went into this game with two less wins than us, with preseason matchups against teams like SMU, UNLV, Wisconsin, NC State, BYU, and Virginia Tech, and a lot of those were road/neutral games. They compete with these level of schools for recruits, and win some of those recruiting battles. Their center is probably a jump shot away from being a contributing NBA power forward, and probably the other 2-7 guys would all start and be a top 3 guy on our roster.

This is and has been the reality for awhile. I was hoping Grant could lead this team and it could use its depth to backfill, but this looked like every other Dayton or previously City game over the past 14 years or so I have been a fan where we are going in optimistic. Say what you want about the start, it just underscored for me that the the team wasn’t ready for that environment because they have only played at home in front of 1,000 fans all season. The atmosphere and talent gap punched them in the mouth. Credit to them for fighting throughout, but this was never really a game save for the run the dukes had to cut it to 5 at the end of the half. You know your not as good as the other team where your down basically double digits the entire game and their color person (who was good) is crediting us on our “fight” and lack of “give up” down 10. Basically saying we were doing a great job of keeping it at 8-11 when it could have easily been 15-20…..yeah.

We were overwhelmed all over the court, and Dayton didn’t have their two best point guards. Players like Holmes and Amzil are super skilled big men that could be starting at a lot of Power 5 schools. One might be an NBA player and both will be long time pros. Their guys look like the guys you see on tournament teams. Big, long, athletic, composed, skilled.

I think in regards to our roster, we have mistaken depth in numbers for depth in talent. This is obviously heavily influenced by watching them smash cupcake after cupcake in the friendly confines. Hronsky and Dixon have looked really good at times this year, but give them limited minutes in what I would consider a “real” college basketball game, and they look like they are freshman who aren’t ready for this level. This is why I think Gunn played as much as he did. Needed to match up with Daytons length and the freshman weren’t ready.

Daytons players are extremely well rounded as I highlighted above where our guys seem to maybe possess one or some of the qualities held by the Dayton players. It is because of this we will beat most inferior teams, but will likely struggle against a lot of good to better teams. Some examples below:

Brewer and Rozier
Pros: Both seem like really good ball handlers and pretty good distributors. Both can make open shots.

Cons: One is prob 5’6” and the other probably 5’8”. Makes them a defensive liability, and extremely limited offensively from a scoring opportunity standpoint.

Gunn: jury out

McGriff
Pros: good ball handler and passer, can score in bunches at times.

Cons: not in division 1 basketball shape and average to below average perimeter defender as a result, inconsistent scorer, seems to make a lot of bad turnovers.

Jimmy Clark
Pros: excellent ball handler, can create offense and jump shots for him and others with his athleticism and dribbling skills (think NBA guard dribble set ups to create space for himself to take a jump shot). A good example of this would be looking at some of his buzzer beaters. Excellent finisher around the cup, top notch. Can generate a decent amount of steals and probably our best spot up perimeter defender in terms of manning a guy up due to his athleticism.

Cons: Can take to many risks defensively because he can steal, and this can lead to open looks, easy cutting and kicking baskets, and fouls for him (probably trying to overcompensate and make plays to make up for lackluster perimeter D from others). Not a consistent jump shooter.

Dae Dae
Pros: pure scorer, can shoot from anywhere and carry a team offensively most nights. Does not get too up or down if he’s making or missing early, level headed scorer. Also an underrated passer, some of the best passes I’ve seen from our offense in half court sets to set up someone else have actually been from him.

Cons: opportunistic but not a great or committed defender from start to finish. Would like to see him drive and try to finish at the rim more, he draws fouls when he does. Only other concern is now after the Dayton game, is he going to be as good as his non con and MAC numbers indicate against “real” college basketball competition??????

Joe Reece
haven’t seen what others have seen to this point in limited action for Reece. Not a top tier A10 starting center (think Holmes or Osunniyi or Toppin or French or Langevine even recently) offensively or defensively. Misses a ton of bunnies on O, gets called for a lot of fouls on D, and doesn’t do much production wise on either side of the ball. Not to mention he’s undersized. Would feel way better with him coming off the bench.

Tre Williams
Pros: high motor on both ends and pretty soft hands.

Cons: way undersized, I think he is 6’5” maybe 6’6”. Inconsistent in the post on O. No jump shot. Struggles to rebound on both ends of the floor due to size. Mike Hughes changed his body here, this kid has not and needs to, especially with his height disadvantage.

Rotroff
Pros: actual good size for the position and as a result our best rebounder. Has really improved scoring around the basket and going up strong this year. One of the last loyal guys in college b ball.

Cons: not athletic enough to compete offensively and defensively at a high level most nights as a starter. Slow to get up and down the court. No longer a threat from 3, would actually open up our game offensively if he still was. Gets blocked or fouls a player often on O and D because he is second to those plays in terms of speed. He’s a good depth big and has played that role well this year.

Barre
Pros: definitely the highest upside big on the roster, I would be starting this guy, or at least giving him sixth man minutes. Legit 6’9” with a 7’4” wingspan. He is athletic, rebounds well, and cuts to the rack extremely effectively. He is our only big who does this. Has pretty good hands, not scared to throw a hard pick or go up to the basket strong. Rebounds pretty well

Cons: definitely raw (but not to where he shouldn’t be getting more and more minutes). You see some missed layups or walks because of that rawness, or bad fouls defensively at times, but this kid is probably almost better than Reece right now. I want to see him starting by the end of the year.

Dixon
Lots of upside, looked like he was seeing ghosts last night, need more time in A10 play to see what he will be moving forward. Less worried now about him getting snapped up by a P5 next year.

Hronsky
Jury out, definitely still needs time to adjust and develop to D1 American hoops, but has an interesting size and skill set. Could honestly see this guy being awesome down the road, or the next Gavin Bizeau.

Point is a lot of these guys have strengths to their games, but most also have glaring weaknesses or holes that will in most cases prevent them from beating a team like Dayton, especially in a hostile road environment when they haven’t been in that situation all year.

Lastly, kudos to their young former womens player who did the color commentary, she was concise, informative, and her timing to add analysis was spot on.

Don’t know what the bigger talent mismatch was: Dayton vs the Dukes on the floor or Christine Szabo vs Ellis Cannon

Great analysis Duq102. The bigger mismatch imo is Szabo vs Cannon.

12/30/2022 3:36 pm  #47

Ellis "Loose" Cannon needs to be muzzled.

12/30/2022 4:50 pm  #48

MikeR wrote:

Ellis "Loose" Cannon needs to be muzzled.

Half the time he sounds like he’s on the sauce I swear. Tim Benz doing yeoman’s work night in and night out.

12/30/2022 5:50 pm  #49

I will be watching Daron Holmes draft stock closely because he is an interesting case There is no consensus on where he will go & why. Respected draft boards have him going as early as 39-46 while others, including the official NBA.com one, have him as the last pick. ESPN has him 10 spots out of the money. He has a lot to play for. 

12/30/2022 6:46 pm  #50

phil95 wrote:

I will be watching Daron Holmes draft stock closely because he is an interesting case There is no consensus on where he will go & why. Respected draft boards have him going as early as 39-46 while others, including the official NBA.com one, have him as the last pick. ESPN has him 10 spots out of the money. He has a lot to play for. 

I don't care where he goes in the draft....just go!!!

Board footera