Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2022 2:44 pm  #1

Building student interest in the basketball program

Still appalled at the lack of student attendance and enthusiasm at the games…I think if you want to build interest, loyalty etc in the program down the road, the games need to appeal to the students.  Here’s a single suggestion that could help to build student fan interest?

• For each and every home game, encourage students turn in a simple ballot guesstimating which DUQ player wins particular performance categories - Most points in game weighs 5, rebounds weigh 4, blocks weigh 3, steals weigh 2, and assists weigh 1.  These are given to a staff member prior to the start of the game.  Close the ballot box when the game starts
  • Announce winners at the halftime of the next home game - & winner required to be there to accept the $100 prize.
  • A suggested ballot below....  Looks like it didn't come out.   Any way to paste in an excel chart?

DUQUESNE UNIV. STUDENT BASKETBALL EXPERT(name)____________________            PLAYER PROJECTEDcorrect?weightsub totalPlayer w/highest scored points   5 Player w/highest rebounds   4 Player w/highest blocks   3 Player w/highest steals   2 Player w/hiighest assists   1                 $100 STUDENT WINNERANNOUNCED NEXT HOME GAME TOTAL PTS________           

12/19/2022 9:53 pm  #2

Re: Building student interest in the basketball program

Good idea.  But is $100 enough to get todays students to spend 2 whole hours out of their safe space?

I think they need to get a Hemsworth brother and Emily Ratajkowski in the crowd.  Maybe a few students will show up.  I just think the DU campus is weird these days.

To be fair, last few games students were on break.

Last edited by townsonkid (12/19/2022 9:55 pm)

12/19/2022 11:55 pm  #3

They need to find a way to have students lead the effort so it feels organic.

When Simms restarted the Crew while I was at DU it worked because we had people involved that wanted it. It was effectively a student organization.

I don’t think it was that different a time, either. This was in the wake of Nee’s disastrous final season, with a record that was worse than last year’s.

But it also takes a mix of the right people, yeah? Like, Im a very enthusiastic person who grew up going to games with my dad. I was ready and excited to cheer my head off and get people pumped at the games. I was lucky that there were like-minded people around me and I had the MOST fun of my undergrad years in that student section (Thanks, Simms).

But who goes to Duquesne excited to watch basketball?

More people have to come to DU caring about basketball to begin with, people who draw others in because they’re enthusiastic about it, before true support manifests among the students. Otherwise it’s fleeting and manufactured.

There’s gotta be a sea change in mindset. Those alums who gave up and started cheering for Pitt and then had kids… those kids don’t care. Why would they? Those kids might not have even found their way to DU.

In other words I assert it’s a legacy issue and it’s not one that can just magically be made better with some well-timed promotions.

Last edited by Face (12/19/2022 11:58 pm)

12/20/2022 9:33 am  #4

Being such a long time since DU was a winning program, the students have not come to watch bad BB. But the university could give some incentives to the students this year to get them out to the games and see this team. It is a shame not to have the students fill up the stands. No home couurt advantage without the Coop full.

12/20/2022 9:45 am  #5

This is another facet of pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps. I agree with the idea that students don't come to Duquesne to see winning men's basketball, but for other reasons. That said, a pretty decent mid-major program near where I live offers its students free food from time to time.

12/20/2022 11:53 am  #6

Obviously good basketball is a paramount factor in boosting attendance.  However team visibility has to be just as important – because if you ‘broadcast the good news’ on campus then more students may take notice and venture into the COOP on gameday.  In reality the A10 standings/stats etc. mean little at this point, however by virtue of a winning non-conference record (9-3) dang we are in 2nd place at this juncture!!   Post it around campus conspicuously, even if many think it’s a mirage.  Along with it, post the  short succinct headlines on the website covering previous games.  At least get people in the know.
It's hard to understand that folks associated with the athletic program – existing in a major university teaching journalism [and presumably advertising and public relations] can’t effectively come together.  I hope that we are going to (at the very least) have programs for the conference games…   

12/20/2022 1:33 pm  #7

If, and its a big if, we can win tomorrow and then win at Dayton to open the A10, people might take notice.   Then maybe, home vs URI might put some butts in the seats, DU should offer a special promo deal for that game, $20 for 2 or 3(play on 2023), 2 for $20 in lower seats, 3 for $20 in upper red balcony or end zones, put an ad in the Trib and run something on radio.   At Dayton, over Xmas break, might be a good time to go to there.   We'll find out soon enough.  First, beat Winthrop.

12/20/2022 2:42 pm  #8

townsonkid wrote:

If, and its a big if, we can win tomorrow and then win at Dayton to open the A10, people might take notice.   Then maybe, home vs URI might put some butts in the seats, DU should offer a special promo deal for that game, $20 for 2 or 3(play on 2023), 2 for $20 in lower seats, 3 for $20 in upper red balcony or end zones, put an ad in the Trib and run something on radio.   At Dayton, over Xmas break, might be a good time to go to there.   We'll find out soon enough.  First, beat Winthrop.

Oh there's a deal for that game... $1 dollar beers and hot dogs. 

1/03/2023 10:51 pm  #9

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1610437454980435968?s=20&t=hZdU0eu0XfYA8-ZON6nChA

Wow!  A great marketing idea for building student interest in attending...  Joe Reece, Kareem Rozier and David Dixon are so sincere.  I can see so many variations these student athletes can pursue in building fan interest in coming to the games and for personal interest in the players.  Hope we see a lot more of this... 

1/05/2023 2:07 pm  #10

Just an observation. I took my nephew to the game last night. He has never been to any live BB game. At 26 years old he was amazed at what he has been missing.  Back in a day 1972, I didn't attend any games, wasn't interested as a freshman, but my roommate the next year dragged me along for one game, then I have been a DU BB fan ever since. I think it is important to get all those student in there for free, with incentives for even just once. Throw a post game party each game for students with their ID, meet the team and coaches. This team is great and that's kind of rare on the bluff lately, so, get them in there. It's how I became a life long fan.

1/05/2023 8:36 pm  #11

You guys make some valid points. I was a massive college basketball fan who went to games at a Bryce Jordan during the deeet 16 run with the Crispin Brothers.  I remember being blown away that we got to go to division 1 basketball games for free, against teams with players like Jameer Nelson no less (smooth move firing Marteli btw St. Joes).

When I started the Crew up I was obsessed with the organization.  I spent lots of time reaching out to complete strangers and then employed people like Face to get the fans fired up and doing the Mossie cheer. 

There is definitely something ti be said about going to one game.  The coop is beautiful so students should want to go.  It seems to be getting better so let’s hope the team continues to win to build the momentum!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

Board footera