Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2023 8:01 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (A)

The book is out on us on offense, we like to shoot and can shoot 3’s in volume. That’s fine, if your also working it inside out and getting scoring and penetration around the basket. If not you get this.

Not even getting clean looks when we go stretches abandoning the post or driving to the bucket at all. Worked it in there at the end of the half and started to look a little better.

Another game a top tier A10 team wins. Need grant to show up, again.

1/18/2023 8:11 pm  #27

phil95 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

We’ll win this game. We have shown to struggle when the refs let a physical game be played (on one end at least). Meanwhile, we are getting called for handcheck on our end, but I digress. We have adjusted, and I like our chances moving forward.

I promise am not trying to pick a fight. The officiating has nothing to do with the current score. 

I am appalled with the unthinking defense that Dae Dae, Clark, Gunn, & Reece are playing this far into their careers & this season. I think we can now also expect to see a steady diet of our PGs being driven around & through by smart A-10 opponents. Those 2 are just getting out-physicalled.

KD  has the deepest bench in the league. HOW ABOUT PRESSING TO SHOW THE BONNIES A DIFFERENT LOOK!!!! Heaven forbid they play zone for a few possessions.

No doubt, the Dukes dug this hole themselves. A couple points from me…

1) Tough to press from behind. Energy consuming and leads to easy baskets. Too risky right now.

2) Agree with many posters about our transition game. However, when you do not get stops or create turnovers like the first half, transition opportunities don’t just appear from thin air.

3) Analytics show we have the second best half court offense in the league. Let’s relax. The big problem is Tre, Reece, and Rotroff have struggled passing out of the double team.

If we get stops, this game changes.

Last edited by CityDuke (1/18/2023 8:12 pm)

1/18/2023 8:15 pm  #28

Is Dambrot saving Barre and Dixon for next year?

1/18/2023 8:26 pm  #29

As I said earlier…we needed defense. Got our rear ends kicked and bad defense on a bad night.

1/18/2023 8:30 pm  #30

We waited till7 minutes left to put on a full court press? All game walking the ball down to milk the clock with  half court?  We won't make 60 points in this game?

1/18/2023 8:33 pm  #31

Perfect timing on the press. Here we go Dukes!

1/18/2023 8:37 pm  #32

McGriff is killing us. Playing such selfish basketball and has taken about 4 terrible shots in this game.

1/18/2023 8:39 pm  #33

Love the adjustment at half time by the way. Keep pounding inside to Tre. Tre is attacking quickly on the catch before the double arrives. He has also looked more composed and making better passes out of the post like the one one that just led to Rozier’s three.

We can do this!

1/18/2023 8:45 pm  #34

This was such a winnable game. Dixon and Barre would have made a difference if they had gotten the minutes early. Grant way too many minutes and a defensive liablility.

1/18/2023 8:53 pm  #35

Slow, rusty start killed us. Even so, if we made our free throws, we’re winning right now. One of those nights, on to the next one. Bonnies is 9-1 at home for a reason. But they do not worry me, I hope we see them in the tourney.

1/18/2023 8:53 pm  #36

Pathetic performance given a full week to prepare. That is ALL coaching. SUCKS man.

1/18/2023 9:00 pm  #37

Crucial play that sticks in my mind. We cut the lead to 6. Reece blocks a shot, we start to run in transition and he passes it straight to a Bonnie for a layup. That was the epitome of his night unfortunately.

1/18/2023 9:00 pm  #38

The refs didn't beat us, St.B. didn't beat us, the crowd was mostly silent all game. It was this slow down half court, feed it to Tre mindless game plan. We lost historically last year with this approach? Even the announcers were wondering just when the high pressure Duquesne game was going to hit them in the second half? KD"s fed to Tre has got to go. Transitions strait  to the  baskets won games to this point. St. B. transitions to basket, instead gave them the lead?  Not even 60 points. This game looks like last years team.

1/18/2023 9:02 pm  #39

Too many sloppy turnovers, especially after steals. They hit their free throws this is a two possession game with two to play, not a three possession game.  Huge mistakes during the big comeback.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/18/2023 9:03 pm  #40

Surprised referees gave the Dukes a fair game. Bottom line Schmidt controlled the first half with zone & double team low. Second point can’t go 6 minutes without a score. Coach Dambrot has to set a go to play to stop the bleeding. Duquesne very deep and more talented. Bonnie’s 6 players deep. Dambrots press much to late in the game. Let’s face it Schmidt played chess Dambrot checkers. Credit to Dambrot he has recruited a very talented group. Just a very low coaching IQ. Good coaches adjust. Never let an inferior team dictate the game. Not that upset. Schmidt superior coach.

1/18/2023 9:04 pm  #41

CityDuke wrote:

Crucial play that sticks in my mind. We cut the lead to 6. Reece blocks a shot, we start to run in transition and he passes it straight to a Bonnie for a layup. That was the epitome of his night unfortunately.

Mine too.  That was a killer, hold the ball, make sure you have it, rather than look for the breakout pass. Sloppy mental play

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/18/2023 9:05 pm  #42

Starting lineup shot 11-42 tonight. Bench 10-19. Hopefully Williams will establish himself the rest of the way after a nice performance tonight. Dixon was a beast at Richmond, but really hasn't seen the floor since. What gives KD?

1/18/2023 9:06 pm  #43

Everytime we lose, it's KD's fault and everytime we win it's despite KD's coaching. Time for all of the whiners to crow. Fact is, our shooting was off in a tough place to play. Everything is not KD's fault so after our next win please crawl back into the shadows and wimper about KD.

1/18/2023 9:07 pm  #44

CityDuke wrote:

Love the adjustment at half time by the way. Keep pounding inside to Tre. Tre is attacking quickly on the catch before the double arrives. He has also looked more composed and making better passes out of the post like the one one that just led to Rozier’s three.

We can do this!

Pounding to Tre lost the game? It's the same half court, chew the clock, dumb down stopping our quick scoring transition game to fast points and drawing fouls from last year? This half court  play to Tre was why  last year was a disaster. Down by 20 and we ran out the clock playing half court with Tre?

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/18/2023 9:47 pm)

1/18/2023 9:07 pm  #45

8 for 18 from the stripe. No offense from Grant or Brewer. I'd press Bonnies for 40 minutes next game.

1/18/2023 9:12 pm  #46

This team wasn't prepped to play after a week off.  No intensity at the start.  Reece and Grant were liabilities.  No meaningful adjustments early when Bona was running up the score.  Again, we can't defend the three.  And, Reece is more a finesse player.  Every time he comes up against a bigger player and he tries to force it in, he gets blocked or turns it over.  It might have been wiser to start Barre and get Dixon in the game early.

1/18/2023 9:12 pm  #47

FAM wrote:

As I said earlier…we needed defense. Got our rear ends kicked and bad defense on a bad night.

We would have won if we ran and scored our ave for the season as well as we played defense today? Scoring 56 points? Blame our defense? What,  were we to hold them to like 10 points or something? Scoring does matter.  Walking the ball down the court to play half court makes any opponent look good on defense. This offense today  was last year all over again. This game is all on the coaching staff. We didn't play our game. Really.  

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/18/2023 9:50 pm)

1/18/2023 9:14 pm  #48

Williams looked quicker.  Barre looked great for his 2-3 minutes.  Why the coach let blue shoes bully Reece around when Barre can ACTUALLY DEFEND is strange.  IDC about the age difference.   PLAY THE BETTER PLAYER! 😡

I think the coach can try to win now AND set up next year.  Rozier, Barre, Dixon play more than Brewer, Reece and Rotroff.   I’m sure there is an excuse valid from 1955 that says he cant tho.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/18/2023 9:18 pm)

1/18/2023 9:15 pm  #49

WashPaRick wrote:

8 for 18 from the stripe. No offense from Grant or Brewer. I'd press Bonnies for 40 minutes next game.

Why not press for real?  Why didn't we run transitions to the hoop? They did? This is all on KD. Even the announcers kept wondering why we played this way?

1/18/2023 9:23 pm  #50

Was Hronsky available tonight?

Board footera