Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2023 1:17 pm  #76

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (A)

DennisC91 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Bleeds Red & Blue wrote:

Everytime we lose, it's KD's fault and everytime we win it's despite KD's coaching. Time for all of the whiners to crow. Fact is, our shooting was off in a tough place to play. Everything is not KD's fault so after our next win please crawl back into the shadows and wimper about KD.

Amen. Say it louder for the people in the back!

Normally, I would agree with this assessment. KD's coaching is usually the first thing folks on this board cite when things go wrong, when roster construction and players' limitations is typically a bigger factor. But last night, I think you can make the case that if Schmidt didn't outcoach KD in the game then he certainly had his team better prepared to play. You can credit most of his dominance of KD over the years to having better players but those better players have all either turned pro or moved up to big-time programs. Last night, their starting five consisted of a St. Peter's transfer (who's admittedly a really good player), a Morgan State transfer, a Holy Cross transfer and two true freshmen. With a Hartford transfer, a Fairleigh Dickinson transfer and two more true freshmen off the bench. Yet, they jumped out to a 20-3 lead that the Dukes could never recover from. Off shooting night in a tough place to play? Still not a good enough explanation when you had a whole week to prepare. And I also don't understand why David Dixon is stuck to the bench.

It's a setback but hardly a season-killer. The next five games look awfully winnable to me, then we get another shot at Bonaventure, which has been kind of lousy in road games so far. The top-4 finish is still there for the taking.

I would ask those who don't think it was coaching that hurt us last night to rewatch the first half.  The thing about the 17-0 run was that the same mistakes were made repeatedly.  Maybe even a good coach doesn't adjust after the first mistake, but after the second time he would fix it.  Two things consistently happened in the first half.  Our guards would try to sag and help inside leaving the Bonnies with wide open threes, or our guards were getting beat off the dribble with our bigs playing matador defense letting driver go all the way to the basket and score. Granted Dambrot made adjustments at the half, but what about using your time outs to make in game adjustments while you are digging a big hole.  Dambrot had all four time outs unused at the end of the first half. 

One other point, the textbook definition of a manager is getting the job done by other people. It is the manager's job, or head coach's job, to put his team in the best position to win.  Recruit, train, equip, motivate, correct and teach all the responsibility of the manager to get the job done.  Like any other business if the team fails to meet goals it is the manager's fault. That is the reality of a harsh world with no room for excuses.

1/19/2023 2:19 pm  #77

We live and die with our outside shooters. Our inside game is inconsistant and not something we can rely on to pick up the slack when the three is not falling.
If I have a reoccuring pet peeve with this coach it's his inability to recruit TALL, athletic centers--6'10 and above. I am sick to death seeing our undersized 5 being dominated by the bigs that every other team in the country somehow possess.
Missed dunks, blocked shots at the rim, tie-ups at the rim, missed layups at the rim, a lack of tip ins from all of the above, and now our "big" 4/5 players (who appear to be interchangeable) not able to shoot free throws.
Now that is something I have a red neck about KD and our staff. As far as his in-game coaching and strategy--KD is not the worst nor the best. There will always be some superior coaches who get the best of him. That goes for every NCAA conference, NBA and basketball coach in the world.
But for mercy sake and my sanity, quit blaming him for everything. Do that and I promise you that I will critize him incessantly for his lack of true, ready-to-start, big men.
P. S. I get as frustrated as all of you when we lose.

1/19/2023 2:21 pm  #78

Dambrot called a timeout in when the score became 12-3, so that is not accurate.

Also, is Mike Rhoades a bad coach for going down 20-3 to us? Was Dambrot a good coach then? I seem to remember destroying a VCU team that went on to beat Dayton…at Dayton. 

This is basketball. Things happen. Teams have bad games. These are 18-23 year old kids. Too many of our key players had an off night. That’s all.

1/19/2023 3:03 pm  #79

I understand that Dixon has a knee injury; I don't know if that is the sole reason why he is not playing.

1/19/2023 3:04 pm  #80

Rayrich, Townson, CLK and Iron Duke said it all.  We didn't dictate pace early and with our depth we should have pressed them all night.  Someone also said they don't quite get KD's rotations and I am inclined to agree.  Finally, is KD trying to run off Dixon???  How does that kid not play at all for 2 straight games????  He and Barre need to get more minutes and Rotroff and Reece a little less.  Pistol out

1/19/2023 3:27 pm  #81

CityDuke wrote:

Dambrot called a timeout in when the score became 12-3, so that is not accurate.

Also, is Mike Rhoades a bad coach for going down 20-3 to us? Was Dambrot a good coach then? I seem to remember destroying a VCU team that went on to beat Dayton…at Dayton.

This is basketball. Things happen. Teams have bad games. These are 18-23 year old kids. Too many of our key players had an off night. That’s all.

Not to quibble with you but the time out at 12-3 was a media time out, and the Bonnies went on to build the lead to 20.  Dambrot had the full complement of time outs to end the half.  I am trying to look at the game objectively. I am not saying everything was Dambrot's fault, or that he could control all aspects of the game. Certainly, he couldn't make shots or free throws for the players. But things he could control he did a poor job of in the first half.  Did you rewatch the first half?  Did the Dukes not repeatedly make the same defensive mistakes?  Did you like the shot selection or the way the offense was run?  

I am reminded of what Dambrot first said when he came here, and that is that his goal is to win championships.  Was last night's game a championship effort?  So if we claim the problem is 18-23 year old "kids" did not play well give the coaching a free pass.  The Dukes are 265 in three point defense the Bonnies are 16th in D1 is that coaching or difference in 18-23 year olds.  

I stated at the Beginning of the season that I believe this is the deepest most talented team Dambrot has had on the Bluff.  I want Dambrot to succeed, but I see inconsistent play, poor defense. and guys not playing up to their potential.  Whose job is that to fix?   I have seen the good start/fade movie too many times. 

I'm done, have at me.  I am looking to see a more fiery coach and team on Saturday. 

1/19/2023 4:08 pm  #82

CLK wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Not to quibble with you but the time out at 12-3 was a media time out, and the Bonnies went on to build the lead to 20.  Dambrot had the full complement of time outs to end the half.  I am trying to look at the game objectively. I am not saying everything was Dambrot's fault, or that he could control all aspects of the game. Certainly, he couldn't make shots or free throws for the players. But things he could control he did a poor job of in the first half.  Did you rewatch the first half?  Did the Dukes not repeatedly make the same defensive mistakes?  Did you like the shot selection or the way the offense was run?  

I am reminded of what Dambrot first said when he came here, and that is that his goal is to win championships.  Was last night's game a championship effort?  So if we claim the problem is 18-23 year old "kids" did not play well give the coaching a free pass.  The Dukes are 265 in three point defense the Bonnies are 16th in D1 is that coaching or difference in 18-23 year olds.  

I stated at the Beginning of the season that I believe this is the deepest most talented team Dambrot has had on the Bluff.  I want Dambrot to succeed, but I see inconsistent play, poor defense. and guys not playing up to their potential.  Whose job is that to fix?   I have seen the good start/fade movie too many times. 

I'm done, have at me.  I am looking to see a more fiery coach and team on Saturday. 

CLK, the timeout occured after Venning’s layup that made it 12-3. Media timeouts do not occur after made field goals. You can even see Dambrot signal for the timeout, and it was upgraded to the full timeout because it was under the 16 minute mark.

I was very disappointed in the effort of a lot of individuals.  These were individual mistakes for the most part, not issues with scheme defensively. I could name a lot of these individual plays, but I prefer not to call out kids on the internet. At the end of the day, I am a fan and most of these guys have shown awesome effort day in and day out throughout the season, so I am happy to chalk this one as a one-off. Dambrot will get these guys ready for Fordham and beyond, I have no doubts.

1/19/2023 4:09 pm  #83

CityDuke wrote:

Losing a game here and there isn't the problem.  I don't need to tell you that the repetitive losses to SBU and Richmond are a problem.  You just cannot get dominated for years by programs of that caliber.  I'm sorry, but this game was predictable.  VCU plays a different style based more upon their athleticism.  Duquesne was able to match their intensity and athleticism in that game.  To be honest, I'm not sure that Schmidt isn't getting too much credit for this win.  Anyone who has seen the Dukes play multiple times this year, in wins and losses, could easily point out their weaknesses.  Even in games they've won, they have often had a hard time for large portions of games controlling straight-line drives to the basket, and follow-up shots after misses.  They just struggle with that at times, and it would be an obvious area to exploit.  Like many teams I see on the tube; they have a few guys who are prone to sagging too much off of known shooters; allowing open looks.  Now, you will sag off certain guys who you might dare to take the three.  When those guys hit threes you are often in trouble and it might not be your night.  They should beat this team in the return match.  If they don't, then look-out! At some point Duquesne needs to win a game or two they aren't expected to win simply based on talent alone.

1/19/2023 7:07 pm  #84

PistolPete wrote:

Rayrich, Townson, CLK and Iron Duke said it all.  We didn't dictate pace early and with our depth we should have pressed them all night.  Someone also said they don't quite get KD's rotations and I am inclined to agree.  Finally, is KD trying to run off Dixon???  How does that kid not play at all for 2 straight games????  He and Barre need to get more minutes and Rotroff and Reece a little less.  Pistol out

Bang pistol🔫 I do think this season is salvageable. I want to see the Dukes dictate the game based upon their superior talent. Situational basketball & adjustments. Wake-up calls are a good thing. Go Dukes

1/19/2023 7:33 pm  #85

levon1975 wrote:

Losing a game here and there isn't the problem.  I don't need to tell you that the repetitive losses to SBU and Richmond are a problem.  You just cannot get dominated for years by programs of that caliber.  I'm sorry, but this game was predictable.  VCU plays a different style based more upon their athleticism.  Duquesne was able to match their intensity and athleticism in that game.  To be honest, I'm not sure that Schmidt isn't getting too much credit for this win.  Anyone who has seen the Dukes play multiple times this year, in wins and losses, could easily point out their weaknesses.  Even in games they've won, they have often had a hard time for large portions of games controlling straight-line drives to the basket, and follow-up shots after misses.  They just struggle with that at times, and it would be an obvious area to exploit.  Like many teams I see on the tube; they have a few guys who are prone to sagging too much off of known shooters; allowing open looks.  Now, you will sag off certain guys who you might dare to take the three.  When those guys hit threes you are often in trouble and it might not be your night.  They should beat this team in the return match.  If they don't, then look-out! At some point Duquesne needs to win a game or two they aren't expected to win simply based on talent alone.

Good point, levon1975.  What is the most impressive win in the Dambrot era?  I frankly can't name one.  To me, that's what made Ron Everhart's tenure so much fun - it seemed like an upset was always possible.  I don't have that feeling with KD coached teams.

1/19/2023 8:43 pm  #86

CityDuke wrote:

CLK wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

CLK, the timeout occured after Venning’s layup that made it 12-3. Media timeouts do not occur after made field goals. You can even see Dambrot signal for the timeout, and it was upgraded to the full timeout because it was under the 16 minute mark.

I was very disappointed in the effort of a lot of individuals.  These were individual mistakes for the most part, not issues with scheme defensively. I could name a lot of these individual plays, but I prefer not to call out kids on the internet. At the end of the day, I am a fan and most of these guys have shown awesome effort day in and day out throughout the season, so I am happy to chalk this one as a one-off. Dambrot will get these guys ready for Fordham and beyond, I have no doubts.

It is not the defensive scheme. It is the facts that 4th & 5th year players cannot execute it on a regular basis & that there is ostensibly only one scheme being used no matter how poor the results are.

Offensively, SBU trapped the post player after the entry pass
& blitzed the high pick just as NMSU, Marshall, & Dayton did. There were no alternative sets run until under the 10 minute mark in the 1st half. When they were run, they immediately caught SBU off guard & yielded a few solid possessions. Gunn got a 3 & Barre got a dunk. A few very open shots were missed. None of these were run for Dae Dae.

SBU played some match up zone. It was very clear that neither the bench nor the players recognized this before I, the announcers, & I would imagine several other posters did. When they did catch on, it took 2-3 more possessions for a different set was called by Dru. Then Schmidt called it off.

That is both poor preparation & poor in-game coaching. This lack of offensive sophistication, optionality, & teaching has been a consistent mark against KD since he arrived on The Bluff.

I was texting during the game with a former Bonnie assistant/Rhody assistant/(briefly) D-I head coach that was in attendance. He commented on how over-matched KD was last night.

KD isn't a terrible or even a bad coach. At this stage of his career I would say that from top to bottom, he is good. I am pleased with the 13 wins thus far. This is doubly true because I see 5-7 more wins on this year's schedule. For God's sake, this team won 6 games last year.

I think it is also true that unless KD hits the jackpot on a few recruits simultaneously, there is no chance that he will build the program into a consistent championship contender in the A-10 because he simply doesn't have the coaching chops.

It would be truly classy if he managed to get through this season with continued success, maintain or advance the cause again next season, & then gracefully leave the house in much better shape than he found it. Maybe the athletic department could show some competence, they could announce a succession plan at the end of the season.

1/19/2023 9:10 pm  #87

Phil, I don’t know what is more impressive, you recognizing the Bonnies matchup zone before our coaching staff or Rayrich running a 4:18 mile. This is exhausting. I’m glad we have enough of us fans to have discussions, but I am utterly disappointed in the “i told you it wouldn’t work out” attitude that sweeps this board. It is as if we are some historic program that Dambrot has destroyed. He has brought us as close as we’ve been in the last 40 years. I love this team, and I will support whoever is in charge until they give me a reason not to. This group (staff included) has top 4 potential. Enjoy it.  But if you are looking for s***, you are bound to miss the roses.

Last edited by CityDuke (1/19/2023 9:12 pm)

1/19/2023 9:53 pm  #88

CityDuke wrote:

Phil, I don’t know what is more impressive, you recognizing the Bonnies matchup zone before our coaching staff or Rayrich running a 4:18 mile. This is exhausting. I’m glad we have enough of us fans to have discussions, but I am utterly disappointed in the “i told you it wouldn’t work out” attitude that sweeps this board. It is as if we are some historic program that Dambrot has destroyed. He has brought us as close as we’ve been in the last 40 years. I love this team, and I will support whoever is in charge until they give me a reason not to. This group (staff included) has top 4 potential. Enjoy it.  But if you are looking for s***, you are bound to miss the roses.

Maybe you could consider all of the thoughts in my post before jumping on your soapbox. How about the ones where I state I am pleased with current record & think KD is a good coach?

There is no reason to question the honesty of fellow posters other than direct provocation. It's just unpleasant.

BONUS POST:
17 straight loses & 6 total wins in year 5! Embarrassing performances against 3 of the 4 quality conference opponents this season! Averaging 7.2 scholarship players with remaining eligibility leaving the program per year after years 1-5. (He recruited them but either they weren't good enough or he could not keep them around.)

There, now I have given you 4 reasons not to unconditionally support the guy in charge. It was my pleasure to be of service.

1/20/2023 6:52 am  #89

I’d love to be more involved in the discussion because it’s been one of the most active threads in awhile. In full disclosure I was so disgusted in the beginning of the game that I turned it off at 20-3. I support Dambrot fully and am still confident in this team, but the team was completely unprepared after a week off.

The ceiling is definitely higher for this team than any Dukes team in a long time. Unfortunately the floor is just about as low as it usually is. Rushed shots on offense and no rotation on defense are unacceptable at this point. The old saying about freshmen not being freshmen anymore doesn’t seem to have reached our guys. When this team is off they are really off. I couldn’t handle watching them get dominated by a team they are at the worst as good as.

I’m not sure I would go as far as putting a succession plan in place, but I was surprised how involved Dru is. I’d seen all the talk about how important a hire he was, but didn’t fully appreciate it until I was at the St. Joe’s game and saw it firsthand. Dambrot does seem to lean on him very heavily. The associate head coach doesn’t seem to just be a title thrown on him. He clearly does more than the other assistants, and at times even more than Dambrot.

1/20/2023 10:04 am  #90

12 games left, can we win 7?  I think so, I could see up to 10 or even 11, I also could see 6, maybe 5.   
Could anyone have imagined 24 wins, even in a bad a10?   Games vs Fordham, UMass, LaSalle, GMason will determine if we are in play for a top 4, or likely stuck in the 1 bye range, which is a nice improvement.
The schedule sets up for us to really do well, lot of home games(7 of 12) and we are done with Dayton and VCU and Richmond.   There isnt a team left on the slate that our team shouldnt feel it can win.   At SLU might be the toughest, but thats not for another month.   Lets get winning!

On a side note, I dont have any problem with anyone complaining or mentioning issues with coaches or players.  Its what these kind of boards are for.   It cant be all rosey red and pure blue bliss. 

Last edited by townsonkid (1/20/2023 10:06 am)

1/20/2023 11:22 am  #91

Last year's mulligan notwithstanding, Keith has brought the program back to the level of competitive respectability that Ron Everhart delivered. I think a lot of us expected he'd take the program a bit higher than that, especially with the additional support he's gotten vs. Ron. This year could still end up being pretty special as he has a solid, deep roster in a year when the conference as a whole seems a bit down. But Wednesday's loss showed that they can still lose to lesser teams, especially on the road. 

As for the succession plan, I'm curious, do most of you folks expect Keith to coach through the end of his contract next year then step aside and turn the reins over to Dru Joyce? I would look for that to be announced at some point between March and November. No inside information or tips, just reading the tea leaves. 

1/20/2023 12:01 pm  #92

Side not, but Paul Zeise, after rambling about how great pitt is, said something along the lines of watch out for Duquesne winning the A10 tournament.    If he is correct once this year, may that be it.

1/20/2023 12:41 pm  #93

DennisC91 wrote:

Last year's mulligan notwithstanding, Keith has brought the program back to the level of competitive respectability that Ron Everhart delivered. I think a lot of us expected he'd take the program a bit higher than that, especially with the additional support he's gotten vs. Ron. This year could still end up being pretty special as he has a solid, deep roster in a year when the conference as a whole seems a bit down. But Wednesday's loss showed that they can still lose to lesser teams, especially on the road.

As for the succession plan, I'm curious, do most of you folks expect Keith to coach through the end of his contract next year then step aside and turn the reins over to Dru Joyce? I would look for that to be announced at some point between March and November. No inside information or tips, just reading the tea leaves.

I am just speculating/wishing on the succession scenario I mentioned. There are no signs that I know of that KD has been extended & his having to recruit for next season as a lame duck coach seems improbable. Extending him into his late 60s also seems unlikely. Although, winning 20+ games and/or stealing the A-10 tournament, of course, changes everything.

I mentioned it because it seemed like a good thing for both the school & KD. 2 strong years back to back with a solid next coach in place & wrapping up at 65 years old seems like a win win.

1/20/2023 1:20 pm  #94

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

...What is the most impressive win in the Dambrot era?  I frankly can't name one.  To me, that's what made Ron Everhart's tenure so much fun - it seemed like an upset was always possible.  I don't have that feeling with KD coached teams.

Good question. Keith is 0-4 against ranked (Top 25) teams at Duquesne: Kentucky this year, the two losses to Dayton in 2019-20 and a loss at Rhode Island in 2017-18. If I use the SRS scores on the College Basketball Reference site, his most impressive win was the 80-77 OT win at VCU in the waning moments of the 2019-20 season. Runners-up: the season sweep of St. Louis in that same season; the win at Richmond in the 2021 A10 tourney; the home win against Davidson in 2019-20; and this year's VCU win. His most quality non-conference win was against Bradley in that Virgin Islands tourney last season. Only a handful of Keith's non-conference wins even have positive SRS ratings, including UCSB, Indiana State, DePaul, Colgate and Ball State this year; Bradley and Cal-Irvine last year; UNC-Greensboro in 2020-21; Indiana State in 2019-20; Radford in 2018-19; and San Francisco in 2017-18.

Last edited by DennisC91 (1/20/2023 1:30 pm)

1/20/2023 3:15 pm  #95

phil95 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

I am just speculating/wishing on the succession scenario I mentioned. There are no signs that I know of that KD has been extended & his having to recruit for next season as a lame duck coach seems improbable. Extending him into his late 60s also seems unlikely. Although, winning 20+ games and/or stealing the A-10 tournament, of course, changes everything.

I mentioned it because it seemed like a good thing for both the school & KD. 2 strong years back to back with a solid next coach in place & wrapping up at 65 years old seems like a win win.

This year, KD has clearly the player, but this last game show how little he can take that talent and win. We beat VCU more because Clark never let the presser off them in the second half, but with out Clark's personal presser, we likely could have lost that game. KD's teams don't keep the pressure up with the lead in the second half. The Richmond game comes to mine on that. St.B. was pretty much ahead at half and yet, KD decided to play half court, letting St. B.'s defense rest up and just wait out the clock. Any one that would like to know just what the Dukes should have done? Just watch VCU at Dayton in the second half down by more than the Dukes in this game. Did they slow down or ramp up the pressure? Yep, ramped it up. This coaching staff should all watch that game again and take some notes, about just how real top teams come from behind.  We were lucky to beat VCU because Clark didn't let up. He had his reasons.

1/20/2023 4:26 pm  #96

DennisC91 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

...What is the most impressive win in the Dambrot era?  I frankly can't name one.  To me, that's what made Ron Everhart's tenure so much fun - it seemed like an upset was always possible.  I don't have that feeling with KD coached teams.

Good question. Keith is 0-4 against ranked (Top 25) teams at Duquesne: Kentucky this year, the two losses to Dayton in 2019-20 and a loss at Rhode Island in 2017-18. If I use the SRS scores on the College Basketball Reference site, his most impressive win was the 80-77 OT win at VCU in the waning moments of the 2019-20 season. Runners-up: the season sweep of St. Louis in that same season; the win at Richmond in the 2021 A10 tourney; the home win against Davidson in 2019-20; and this year's VCU win. His most quality non-conference win was against Bradley in that Virgin Islands tourney last season. Only a handful of Keith's non-conference wins even have positive SRS ratings, including UCSB, Indiana State, DePaul, Colgate and Ball State this year; Bradley and Cal-Irvine last year; UNC-Greensboro in 2020-21; Indiana State in 2019-20; Radford in 2018-19; and San Francisco in 2017-18.

Thanks for the detailed research, DennisC91.  I did a quick look at the record against KenPom top 100 teams - it's 9 -32.  The 19-20 team was 4-4, including those VCU and Saint Louis wins you noted above.  It doesn't help to pick up any signature wins when the A10 is really down this year - the only game remaining on the schedule against a Top 100 team (at this point) is the Saint Louis game.  

Board footera