Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2023 4:48 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (H)

Bsduq2008 wrote:

I have been a occasional poster but avid reader for many years.

My whole family went to Duquesne as did I.

I talked this team up and Dambrot a lot.

This today, live in person, was one of the worst loses I have ever seen. Great crowd by the way at the Coop. But how do you ever expect anyone to follow this team when they lose to a piss poor team at home against Fordham. This game was ugly. I had tickets Wednesday and have lost complete interest in going.

I have been a huge Dambrot supporter but I have officially lost interest. David Dixon scores 6 points and automatically is substituted to bench. Tevin Brewer might be a great kid, but lets bet honest he is a back up PG at best in A10 - Rozier plays better.

Dambrot’s flow and rotation is horrendous. If i go off the bench and score (2) threes he would take me out next break. There is NO flow.

Frustrating and season is officially over.

Exactly. Everytime a "role player" gets hot KD sits them. Meanwhile he keeps a guy like Grant, Reese, or Williams out there when they are doing absolutely nothing on offense and are defensive liabilities. Not rocket science. My wife Diane, who has painfully watched the last several games said "why is he taking Dixon out when he's on fire" or 'why is he not taking Williams out already, the guy can't make a layup" or "why does Grant get to stay on the court all day long for doing nothing" SMH

1/21/2023 4:50 pm  #27

Okay. Start throwing things at me.  Yes, was at the game - season ticket holder.  I have blamed Dambrot for my share of losses...not blaming him for today.  When they make "3" threes in a row because the defensive guy stays back 3 feet, it's on the player.  When you can't catch Rozier or Brewers passes because you aren't paying attention (I remember this happening to TJ often), it's on the players.  When you have so many turnovers on fast breaks, it's on the players.  When you watch how excited the other players are and with such emotion it's the players.  When I see ours today and there is emotion missing, that is on the players.  The team sucked today and I am not putting it on Dambrot.

1/21/2023 4:52 pm  #28

Dixon: 8 points/5 rebounds. Guess I was wrong about feeding the hot hand.

1/21/2023 4:54 pm  #29

CityDuke wrote:

Ellis Cannon actively roots against the Dukes. I’ve never seen anything like it from a home announcer.

Ellis is a gem. He has an IQ over 60. Are you blaming Coach Dambrots failures on Benz & Cannon.Dukes up 6 on a roll & he subs out Rozier. Game over. Brewer is a Div 2 player. This team has the talent to win the A10. Dambrot has the time to turn this around. Let’s face it Gormley & AD Dave have given him the keys to the Ford Bronco. No excuse. Criticism of the announcers is in my humble opinion pathetic. At this point it is up to Dambrot. Go Dukes.

1/21/2023 4:54 pm  #30

The national suicide hotline is 988.

1/21/2023 4:55 pm  #31

Don't know who's to blame and don't really care.
I won't be attending any further games this season as the there is no entertainment value in watching this mess.
Signing off!!

1/21/2023 5:01 pm  #32

Ironduke81 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Ellis Cannon actively roots against the Dukes. I’ve never seen anything like it from a home announcer.

Ellis is a gem. He has an IQ over 60. Are you blaming Coach Dambrots failures on Benz & Cannon.Dukes up 6 on a roll & he subs out Rozier. Game over. Brewer is a Div 2 player. This team has the talent to win the A10. Dambrot has the time to turn this around. Let’s face it Gormley & AD Dave have given him the keys to the Ford Bronco. No excuse. Criticism of the announcers is in my humble opinion pathetic. At this point it is up to Dambrot. Go Dukes.

Haha I know we have certainly had our disagreements, but this is a stretch….on many fronts. I do not even know where to begin, so I won’t. 

Can’t win ball games when nobody on the roster plays well. Going from top to bottom, I cannot find one positive performance. Many will point to Dixon, and yes while he shot efficiently, he also had two of our five first half turnovers and got bullied inside. But he was certainly our brightest light on the day. I would like to see more of him as well, he is going to make mistakes but I love his effort and energy.  Rough one for Dukes basketball, but I am not convinced the sky is falling. I just hope Clark is healthy moving forward.

1/21/2023 5:13 pm  #33

Sorry but I have to ‘tell it like it is.’   We were out coached again. 

Ok, the whole world knows that Duq can’t hit the 3s’ if you have someone defending them hard.  Fordham played a very physical game.  Duq played a very physical game and my hat’s off to all of them.  However,  toward the end when Duq players were so tired they were having trouble defending the outside 3, particularly the one that first put Fordham ahead – I was yelling ‘call a time out!’  Dambrot waited for two more wide open 3s’ by Fordham that put them out of reach.   Crimany!  The Dukes were gassed.

He's got 12 players he can get in and out of the game.  Fordham doesn’t have that luxury.  And no doubt the Dukes were cold shooting again.  But put fresh bodies in there—use your timeouts.  I put this game on our coaching.

It's a shame cause the Dukes have a lot of talent on this team.

Last edited by gjgsr (1/21/2023 5:14 pm)

1/21/2023 5:14 pm  #34

Ironduke81 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Up to Dambrot, then we’re screwed.  Nothing changes with him.  He took out the best players on the court today to put in Reece and Brewer.  IDC if they are freshman, PLAY THEM!   After today, and if Clark is hurt, start an all freshman lineup next game.

1/21/2023 5:18 pm  #35

FAM wrote:

Okay. Start throwing things at me.  Yes, was at the game - season ticket holder.  I have blamed Dambrot for my share of losses...not blaming him for today.  When they make "3" threes in a row because the defensive guy stays back 3 feet, it's on the player.  When you can't catch Rozier or Brewers passes because you aren't paying attention (I remember this happening to TJ often), it's on the players.  When you have so many turnovers on fast breaks, it's on the players.  When you watch how excited the other players are and with such emotion it's the players.  When I see ours today and there is emotion missing, that is on the players.  The team sucked today and I am not putting it on Dambrot.

Sorry but I have to ‘tell it like it is.’   We were out coached again. 

Ok, the whole world knows that Duq can’t hit the 3s’ if you have someone defending them hard.  Fordham played a very physical game.  Duq played a very physical game and my hat’s off to all of them.  However,  toward the end when Duq players were so tired they were having trouble defending the outside 3, particularly the one that first put Fordham ahead – I was yelling ‘call a time out!’  Dambrot waited for two more wide open 3s’ by Fordham that put them out of reach.   Crimany!  The Dukes were gassed.

He's got 12 players he can get in and out of the game.  Fordham doesn’t have that luxury.  And no doubt the Dukes were cold shooting again.  But put fresh bodies in there—use your timeouts.  I put this game on our coaching.

1/21/2023 5:24 pm  #36

Fordham is  a good team.Their defense was stifling and they rattled Duquesne mentally .On offense Fordham
guards penetrated at will and they were more physical.This was no upset as Duquesne defense pathetic all season.Fordham looked quicker and stronger and Dukes going to get clobbered when they meet again in New York.

1/21/2023 5:35 pm  #37

Really insightful post game interview today from Dambrot and Rozier.  The Fordham defense was explained, and why what they do makes things difficult. From what I gathered, their defense takes the X’s and O’s out of the game. They zone their two bigs and face guard everybody else with their guards, which was evident. Also, they switch every screen. Today was about creating mismatches with the screens (bigs on our guards and their guards down low on our bigs). We got those matchups and failed to execute.

Also, the maturity and ownership of the team that Rozier takes is really something special. I can’t help but root for this kid, and his energy and Dambrot’s fire in the post game both let me know that things will be okay.

They also touched on Dixon’s knee issues, Hronsky’s illness, and McGriff’s achilles issues. So we were not as deep as we usually are. Which forced us to play bigger with Gunn at the 3 at times, especially when Clark got hurt.

1/21/2023 5:44 pm  #38

CityDuke wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Haha I know we have certainly had our disagreements, but this is a stretch….on many fronts. I do not even know where to begin, so I won’t.

Can’t win ball games when nobody on the roster plays well. Going from top to bottom, I cannot find one positive performance. Many will point to Dixon, and yes while he shot efficiently, he also had two of our five first half turnovers and got bullied inside. But he was certainly our brightest light on the day. I would like to see more of him as well, he is going to make mistakes but I love his effort and energy. Rough one for Dukes basketball, but I am not convinced the sky is falling. I just hope Clark is healthy moving forward.

Dixon was indeed bullied. Basketball is a contact sport, but it's supposed to be only to a point. Dixon was working against a muscular guy, but he really was fouled repeatedly without a whistle to be heard.

1/21/2023 5:58 pm  #39

CityDuke wrote:

Really insightful post game interview today from Dambrot and Rozier. The Fordham defense was explained, and why what they do makes things difficult. From what I gathered, their defense takes the X’s and O’s out of the game. They zone their two bigs and face guard everybody else with their guards, which was evident. Also, they switch every screen. Today was about creating mismatches with the screens (bigs on our guards and their guards down low on our bigs). We got those matchups and failed to execute.

Also, the maturity and ownership of the team that Rozier takes is really something special. I can’t help but root for this kid, and his energy and Dambrot’s fire in the post game both let me know that things will be okay.

They also touched on Dixon’s knee issues, Hronsky’s illness, and McGriff’s achilles issues. So we were not as deep as we usually are. Which forced us to play bigger with Gunn at the 3 at times, especially when Clark got hurt.

Injury issues always the first go to of excuses for Dambrot. Everybody has them this point of the season. What was Dambrot's take on not pressing, or speeding up the game, or why Brewer was dribbling in a circles in every half court possession? He's mastered something and that is how to shift the blame for not being prepared. The guy doesn't know to teach a sufficient half court offense, or to make adjustments. Same on the defensive end when it comes to closing out on threes or boxing out. Totally lost when it comes to the ebb and flow of a game (much like Tomlin), or when to use a timeout or to force the uptempo of a game by pressing, pushing the ball up court, or when to work it inside, etc...He doesn't get it, but he does get damage control when it comes to press conferences. Ashame he's using Rozier as a minion of sorts. We saw that coming.

1/21/2023 6:00 pm  #40

When does Spring Training start?

1/21/2023 6:16 pm  #41

If you play half court this bad, why did KD stop the high speed high scoring transition and perimeter game from earlier games?. These last two games are to feed it to the interior.  Very low scoring by design. Fordham won by designing 3 point plays three strait times in the second half. then held the lead because KD still went slow half court to a mediocre interior game that helped run out the clock. If we are not moving fast to take advantage of our superior speed then this is what you get. .

1/21/2023 6:56 pm  #42

The timeless debate when it comes to byes is whether they cause rest or rust. There's no debate when it comes to Dambrot's teams. With a week off the team should be fresh and totally prepared for the next team up. Here's a rundown of Dambrot's Duquesne teams after the conference bye:
2018: We hobbled into the bye on a three game losing streak, and had a tough stretch after it. Regardless of the reasons, we went 0-3 in the week after the bye.
2019: We struggled against a bad George Mason team after the bye, but ultimately won by 1. We got crushed by the Bonnies next time out, but recovered to beat a bad UMass team. 2-1 in the week after the bye.
2020: We were playing really well going into the bye on a five game win streak. We came out of the bye and got blown out by by URI and lost to a mediocre UMass team. We then gave a great Dayton team about as tough a game as they had, but ultimately lost. 0-3 in the week following the bye.
We then went 2-1 before another bye. We came out of that bye with an ugly win against a bad Fordham team, a loss to an equally bad GW, and another tough loss to a great Dayton team. 1-2 in the week following the second bye.
2021: Nothing was normal that season including byes, but we can consider the 18 day covid break the season's bye. We went into it on a three game win streak. We came out of it by losing a competitive game against a good Richmond team, but then got blown out by a bad LaSalle team. We did bounce back with a good win over URI though. 1-2 in the week following the "bye."
2022: The collapse had already started when we had our bye, but the time off could have brought us out of it. Instead the losing streak went through the end of the season. 0-3 in the week following the bye.
2023: Again playing well going into the bye on a 3-1 stretch with the loss by 2 in our house of horrors that is Richmond. 0-2 since in the week following the bye.

All totaled we're 5-15 in the weeks following conference byes under Dambrot. To make matters worse we're 13-8 in the weeks preceding the byes. I don't have any inside information. So I don't know if Dambrot is a rest and recover coach or a make the practices into games on the off weeks. Whatever the case is, it's not working though.

1/21/2023 7:11 pm  #43

No perimeter shooting mixed with terrible play underneath from Rotroff, Williams and Reese did us in as many have mentioned.  My 10 year old daughter is very upset, asked me not to talk about the game on the drive home.  Over the Christmas holiday I went to Indiana and saw my nephew play two games; scored 27 in game one and 30 in game two (all were three point shots).  He's 5'-11'' and a sophomore at this time; if he grows more when I see him next in July I will consider contacting Dambrot or whomever is the Dukes coach to give him a look.  

1/21/2023 7:17 pm  #44

Fordham is not a good team, they were in the 190s....just same old same old with a slight variation

1/21/2023 7:23 pm  #45

It's all relative. Fordham is good when you compare them to numbers 200-350+...if the Duke's were any good they wouldn't lose at home to this team. One guy in double figures and all he had was 10. A lot of things are missing

1/21/2023 7:29 pm  #46

CityDuke wrote:

Really insightful post game interview today from Dambrot and Rozier. The Fordham defense was explained, and why what they do makes things difficult. From what I gathered, their defense takes the X’s and O’s out of the game. They zone their two bigs and face guard everybody else with their guards, which was evident. Also, they switch every screen. Today was about creating mismatches with the screens (bigs on our guards and their guards down low on our bigs). We got those matchups and failed to execute.

Fordham is a tough defensive team. The problem is it seems any time a team throws a junk defense at us we look totally lost. Whether it's expected (like today) or unexpected (like Bonaventure last time out) it seems the junk defenses always get us flustered. Early in the season I was willing to face the facts that this is a new team (if not a young one). At this point in the season that excuse doesn't work anymore. Reading the full Haslam preview that Phoenix posted it says the Dukes are the 315th most consistent team in the country. I have to think this is a big reason why.

1/21/2023 7:35 pm  #47

luckymcd wrote:

The timeless debate when it comes to byes is whether they cause rest or rust. There's no debate when it comes to Dambrot's teams. With a week off the team should be fresh and totally prepared for the next team up. Here's a rundown of Dambrot's Duquesne teams after the conference bye:
2018: We hobbled into the bye on a three game losing streak, and had a tough stretch after it. Regardless of the reasons, we went 0-3 in the week after the bye.
2019: We struggled against a bad George Mason team after the bye, but ultimately won by 1. We got crushed by the Bonnies next time out, but recovered to beat a bad UMass team. 2-1 in the week after the bye.
2020: We were playing really well going into the bye on a five game win streak. We came out of the bye and got blown out by by URI and lost to a mediocre UMass team. We then gave a great Dayton team about as tough a game as they had, but ultimately lost. 0-3 in the week following the bye.
We then went 2-1 before another bye. We came out of that bye with an ugly win against a bad Fordham team, a loss to an equally bad GW, and another tough loss to a great Dayton team. 1-2 in the week following the second bye.
2021: Nothing was normal that season including byes, but we can consider the 18 day covid break the season's bye. We went into it on a three game win streak. We came out of it by losing a competitive game against a good Richmond team, but then got blown out by a bad LaSalle team. We did bounce back with a good win over URI though. 1-2 in the week following the "bye."
2022: The collapse had already started when we had our bye, but the time off could have brought us out of it. Instead the losing streak went through the end of the season. 0-3 in the week following the bye.
2023: Again playing well going into the bye on a 3-1 stretch with the loss by 2 in our house of horrors that is Richmond. 0-2 since in the week following the bye.

All totaled we're 5-15 in the weeks following conference byes under Dambrot. To make matters worse we're 13-8 in the weeks preceding the byes. I don't have any inside information. So I don't know if Dambrot is a rest and recover coach or a make the practices into games on the off weeks. Whatever the case is, it's not working though.

Stellar research. Definitely a true trend. Thanks for the info.

1/21/2023 8:42 pm  #48

I understand that KD prefers to play "older" players but i would much rather see Dixon, Barre and Rozier than Rotroff, Reese and Brewer.  I would live with their mistakes as they gain more experience and hope that they are better by tournament time.  I've seen enough of the veteran players to think that the best opportunity for this team is to go with talent over experience.  

1/21/2023 8:45 pm  #49

-I feel like winning at least 3 of the next 4 is imperative to avoid a disastrous end to the season
-Beating Fordham on 3/4 in NYC also seems like must happen
-Tre Williams really ain't perfect but is the only DU big with actual post moves & that has proven he can score against this level of competition.. He is also the only big on this team with both technique & a physique that make him a very good post defender & shot blocker. He also knows better than any other player on the team where he is supposed to be on both offense & defense. He has a great standing reach & wingspan. He will never be 4" taller & 15% quicker. He is another in a long line of Dambrot bigs that make little sense for the chosen defensive scheme. Keep in mind his performance against SBU just one game ago. 
-I love that Rotroff is staying healthy & that he actually tries to do what he is assigned to do. I dig his fight & attitude. However, he is lacking a bit in many areas both offensive & defensive. 7 minutes per game is just perfect for him unless he is rolling, there is foul trouble, or injuries. When the team was 13-5 I didn't see this way. Now it is time to sink or swim with the young guys. Austin is not returning this year. Also, he gets his shot blocked way too often, doesn't finish well through contact, & even after 5 seasons & 100+ attempts, is a bad FT shooter.
-Chabbi & Dixon have tremendous upside & winning bodies but not enough experience to apply what I hope they are being taught. Even so, when Reece is flailing around on offense & defense like he has for much of the last 3 games, they have to take his minutes. That kind of happened today.
-Taking Dixon & Rozier out during their respective hot streaks is so hard to understand. 
-I have no idea what the coaching staff should do for/about Dae Dae right now. I thought today was his best defensive game of the year & his effort level was very high for a long time. He was very good on the boards. He is so lost offensively wit hthe assists & turnovers being every bit as troubling as the shooting.

1/21/2023 8:55 pm  #50

There are many comments about the talent level on this team, and that it shouldn't lose to teams with 'inferior talent'.  Well, I think there are probably 10 or more teams in the A10 with similar talent to us. So, I'm not surprised what happened today.  Our history has been it is always a rock fight with Fordham.  I noticed at the pregame, the Dukes were largely seated on their bench and the entire Fordham team was gathered  together on the floor with their coaches.  They simply wanted it more and that was a bad sign.  But, good teams don't lose often, and rarely at home.  This team needs to quit reading their press clippings and prove their worth.

Board footera