Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2023 9:51 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (H)

Having wandered in the desert of college basketball for 40 years we’re still in a position of having to take chances on guys. If Trey was four inches taller he might have been at Indiana instead of Indians State. If Rozier was four inches taller he may have been recruited by power conference teams. The ultimate what if is Tre and Dae Dae. If you could somehow combine them into one player with the offense of Dae Dae and defense of Tre he might be headed to the NBA. Bottom line is none of those hypothetical players are likely to be at Duquesne. Hopefully this season is not an aberration and we’re able to string together enough good seasons and build on them to where we don’t have to settle for these what if kind of players.

Having said all that, I think we are as talented as anyone outside of Dayton in today’s A-10. Dayton has been the class of the conference since Xavier left and they likely will continue to be unless they also change conferences. A couple other teams might have more top level talent than we do, but I don’t think anyone matches our depth of talent. It’s on Dambrot and the rest of the coaching staff to use all that talent.

1/22/2023 10:16 am  #52

phil95 wrote:

-I feel like winning at least 3 of the next 4 is imperative to avoid a disastrous end to the season
-Beating Fordham on 3/4 in NYC also seems like must happen
-Tre Williams really ain't perfect but is the only DU big with actual post moves & that has proven he can score against this level of competition.. He is also the only big on this team with both technique & a physique that make him a very good post defender & shot blocker. He also knows better than any other player on the team where he is supposed to be on both offense & defense. He has a great standing reach & wingspan. He will never be 4" taller & 15% quicker. He is another in a long line of Dambrot bigs that make little sense for the chosen defensive scheme. Keep in mind his performance against SBU just one game ago. 
-I love that Rotroff is staying healthy & that he actually tries to do what he is assigned to do. I dig his fight & attitude. However, he is lacking a bit in many areas both offensive & defensive. 7 minutes per game is just perfect for him unless he is rolling, there is foul trouble, or injuries. When the team was 13-5 I didn't see this way. Now it is time to sink or swim with the young guys. Austin is not returning this year. Also, he gets his shot blocked way too often, doesn't finish well through contact, & even after 5 seasons & 100+ attempts, is a bad FT shooter.
-Chabbi & Dixon have tremendous upside & winning bodies but not enough experience to apply what I hope they are being taught. Even so, when Reece is flailing around on offense & defense like he has for much of the last 3 games, they have to take his minutes. That kind of happened today.
-Taking Dixon & Rozier out during their respective hot streaks is so hard to understand. 
-I have no idea what the coaching staff should do for/about Dae Dae right now. I thought today was his best defensive game of the year & his effort level was very high for a long time. He was very good on the boards. He is so lost offensively wit hthe assists & turnovers being every bit as troubling as the shooting.

Tre played 22 min. Was 3-11, in this game, went  0-1 3pt, 1-2 FT, had 5 rebounds, ZERO on  Assit, 2 blks and 7 points. Not good.  This Dukes team is not a good interior half court team. That's not where they have an advantage. Just saying.

1/22/2023 10:34 am  #53

We have little or no interior game IMO. This is where the problem lies for the most part. When our regular bigs go up against an elite big on either end of the court it is NO contest. Game over. Our two best talent wise are Dixon and Barre of course. I love Rotroff for lots of reasons but really. Tre is limited due to lack of quickness and size. I don't like calling college kids out. In  fact they're doing the best that they can, It's not lack of effort.  It's not on them by any means. We haven't seen any solid bigs in this program outside of Hughes since KD got here until this year for my money.  Come on. Totally frustrated and fed up!

Last edited by El Presidente (1/22/2023 10:35 am)

1/22/2023 11:17 am  #54

El Presidente wrote:

We have little or no interior game IMO. This is where the problem lies for the most part. When our regular bigs go up against an elite big on either end of the court it is NO contest. Game over. Our two best talent wise are Dixon and Barre of course. I love Rotroff for lots of reasons but really. Tre is limited due to lack of quickness and size. I don't like calling college kids out. In  fact they're doing the best that they can, It's not lack of effort.  It's not on them by any means. We haven't seen any solid bigs in this program outside of Hughes since KD got here until this year for my money.  Come on. Totally frustrated and fed up!

I assume by bigs you are referring to the 4 and the 5 positions. I would argue there were a few more than one “solid” bigs for sure. Hughes and Weathers were both upper echelon bigs in this league. Yes, Weathers was an undersized 4, but he was a matchup nightmare for everybody. Steele also definitely qualifies as solid, and probably above that in my opinion.  Rotroff, to me, embodies the word solid because of his consistency. You know what you are going to get from him. He does a job. And the sky is the limit for this freshman class of bigs.

If you are referring to bigs with low post, back to the basket game then yes we are still a little limited. The only one who has shown this ability is Williams. I just wish he could put it all together and be a little more consistent. Rotroff showed it a bit in the beginning of the season. Reece is more of a face-up player. Dixon and Barre are more rim-runners but I have no doubt their low post game will develop quite nicely. 

If we are going to be our best, we need Williams to be able to get us a bucket down there when our offense stalls and momentum has shifted. He has answered this call on multiple occasions this season, but I would love to see him really take ownership of this role and take off with it. He has the tools!

1/22/2023 11:28 am  #55

I am generally in agreement with what most of you said about this disaster of a game.  I am in particular agreement with Professor 1088 calling for a line-up change.  Barre and Dixon should start at this point if healthy.  Barre is our best rim protector with his length and Dixon is very talented and is a better finisher from in close compared to Rotroff, Reece and Williams.  Williams does know how to post up and use his body to get in good position down low, but he misses way too many two footers.  Someone posted he was 3-11 I think and that is not good.  I too must question some of KD's in game moves or lack thereof.  Iron Duke said it best when Rozier sparked us with a couple baskets and then made the two foul shots and he is taken out and our 6 point lead evaporated while Brewer was dribbling in circles.  Brewer needs to take the foul line jumper as that seems to be constantly available.  I really appreciate the frustration of BSDuq2008, a new poster that went to the game and left totally bewildered.  You hit on several key points BSDuq and I concur with the lack of flow and questionable substitutions.  I have also never seen so many 2 foot shots missed in my life.  The bigs that KD plays the most (Reece, Rotroff and Williams) are not good or consistent finishers.  They either lack size or athleticism and just seem overmatched against so many of the bigs on other teams.  Time to go with the youth and talent - play Barre, Dixon and more of Rozier.  I am tired of hearing about playing "old" guys that purportedly have all this game experience and yet poop the bed way too often.  Not working KD!!!!

1/22/2023 12:41 pm  #56

CityDuke wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Ellis Cannon actively roots against the Dukes. I’ve never seen anything like it from a home announcer.

Ellis is a gem. He has an IQ over 60. Are you blaming Coach Dambrots failures on Benz & Cannon.Dukes up 6 on a roll & he subs out Rozier. Game over. Brewer is a Div 2 player. This team has the talent to win the A10. Dambrot has the time to turn this around. Let’s face it Gormley & AD Dave have given him the keys to the Ford Bronco. No excuse. Criticism of the announcers is in my humble opinion pathetic. At this point it is up to Dambrot. Go Dukes.

Haha I know we have certainly had our disagreements, but this is a stretch….on many fronts. I do not even know where to begin, so I won’t.

Lol this one made me laugh as well. I watch way too much sports, and can honestly say I think Ellis is easily the worst “analyst” I have ever listened to. I think Benz actually does a good job. Extremely not shocked ol “iron” has this take.

And when did he take that IQ test for you again?

This team is mediocre. I posted a long write up after the disappointing Dayton outing and unfortunately a lot of what we saw is holding true with conference play starting.

We have depth in numbers, not depth in talent. The guy who was supposed to be our best offensive player and scorer to carry this team in the league has been inconsistent at best.

Your number one option since VCU has given you 13, 3 (Richmond), 17 (St. Joes), 4 (Bonnies), and 10 (Fordham). See the theme? Excluding the VCU game, he plays better against bad teams, and when he plays real teams he gets completely shut down. Mentioned this as a concern in the long write up in the Dayton thread. Even his 10 against Fordham was an empty calories 3-12 performance from the field aided by some free throws.

The recruiting philosophy ***for the most part****has been bring in transfers who were good to very good at the MAC level, and think your going to coach them into top line A10 players? This is a different level my friend, the top of this conference has power 5 level talent. This coach called Tre Williams something hyperbolic like “the best center he’s ever worked with”. Again, from what is an inferior conference, an above average player who is 6’6”. What has that turned into? A bang average A10 power forward for the most part…….

Same with the freshman. Mostly kids from Michigan and Ohio. Hard nosed, under sized, under talented. We are commonly battling MAC schools when you look at who else is recruiting who we are recruiting. That isn’t good enough to be a high level A10 team. That’s why with this model, we can continue to expect middle to below middle in the conference.

Who are some of the “ill behaved” “selfish” guys “with attitude” who couldn’t cut it with coach?

-primo spears-Georgetown
-Jackie Johnson-UNLV
-Chad Baker-San Diego State

Or another recent guy who didn’t fit the “KD guy” profile of tough Ohio/Michigan guy?

-Mounir Hima-Syracuse

What doesn’t need to be said is these are all SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER PROGRAMS THAN DUQUESNE. THIS IS WHO WE WANT TO BE!!!

Kevin Easley is another guy who didn’t fit the recruiting profile. Played so well and dominated the mid major level to the point he got picked up by a power 5. Was just ok, came here and produced early, and did he continue to grow here? Or did he fall out with the coach and LEAVE?!?!

Maybe coach didn’t like that he tested nba waters? Thought he was bigger than the team? Hima was from an ELITE basketball school in Jersey. Didn’t fit the profile? Not a KD guy?

Duquesne should be going after the best and most talented players they can get. I don’t give a s**** about someone’s attitude, in fact I want guys with some dog, and some nastiness, and some me ness.

Tre Clark is an example of that. We have 5 Tre Clark’s, we are competing at the top of the A10, it’s that simple.

Dambrot has said multiple times you “have to take the silliness with Clark” for all the good he does…..

Why does that not also apply to all of the most talented guys we had that Dambrot has run out of here over the years?????

Is it not the head coaches job to get the best out of their players, manage attitudes and help young men mature and grow? In whatever form that takes on a player by player basis??????

And yes, Ellis Cannon is just as second rate as everything else we do operationally. Where anything that goes well is either an accident or caused by outside influence (Cooper Fieldhouse). I personally find him to be an embarrassing representation of our university, and would love for them to find someone more qualified to analyze basketball next year.

All that being said, I’ll keep watching and hope something changes, but we kinda stink still.

Anyone who leads with their IQ probably isn’t that smart.

Last edited by Duques102 (1/22/2023 12:47 pm)

1/22/2023 12:48 pm  #57

KD in his post game conference pretty much said that if Dixon, Rozier and others are playing better than the older guys then he has to play them more.  I hope he follows through on that in the upcoming games.  Of course, there are injuries that affect playing time.  I think the Dukes need a shake up to try and stop the season from devolving into another late season swoon that we have witnessed repeatedly in the last several years.  I don't intend to be too critical.  I just want them to be a good team and competitive.  It's a lot of fun when they give us some hope!

1/22/2023 12:57 pm  #58

Duques102, I agree that Duquesne is a built on MAC-type players.  That won't cut it in the A-10.  I agree that it's no accident that Clark is Duquesne's best player and he was a VCU recruit.  As in all sports, talent wins in basketball.  If you don't have the talent, you will lose no matter who your coach is and what your scheme is.

1/22/2023 1:01 pm  #59

the professor1108 wrote:

Duques102, I agree that Duquesne is a built on MAC-type players.  That won't cut it in the A-10.  I agree that it's no accident that Clark is Duquesne's best player and he was a VCU recruit.  As in all sports, talent wins in basketball.  If you don't have the talent, you will lose no matter who your coach is and what your scheme is.

That would also be 5 parts of a starting 5 that those schools thought could help them. Make it make sense please.

Spears
Johnson
Baker
Easley
Hima

I would 100000% take that lineup over this one. They were all in the building and would all be on the floor together had they stayed.

1/22/2023 1:12 pm  #60

Duques102 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Ellis is a gem. He has an IQ over 60. Are you blaming Coach Dambrots failures on Benz & Cannon.Dukes up 6 on a roll & he subs out Rozier. Game over. Brewer is a Div 2 player. This team has the talent to win the A10. Dambrot has the time to turn this around. Let’s face it Gormley & AD Dave have given him the keys to the Ford Bronco. No excuse. Criticism of the announcers is in my humble opinion pathetic. At this point it is up to Dambrot. Go Dukes.

Haha I know we have certainly had our disagreements, but this is a stretch….on many fronts. I do not even know where to begin, so I won’t.

Lol this one made me laugh as well. I watch way too much sports, and can honestly say I think Ellis is easily the worst “analyst” I have ever listened to. I think Benz actually does a good job. Extremely not shocked ol “iron” has this take.

This team is mediocre. I posted a long write up after the disappointing Dayton outing and unfortunately a lot of what we saw is holding true with conference play starting.

We have depth in numbers, not depth in talent. The guy who was supposed to be our best offensive player and scorer to carry this team in the league has been inconsistent at best.

Your number one option since VCU has given you 13, 3 (Richmond), 17 (St. Joes), 4 (Bonnies), and 10 (Fordham). See the theme? Excluding the VCU game, he plays better against bad teams, and when he plays real teams he gets completely shut down. Mentioned this as a concern in the long write up in the Dayton thread. Even his 10 against Fordham was an empty calories 3-12 performance from the field aided by some free throws.

The recruiting philosophy ***for the most part****has been bring in transfers who were good to very good at the MAC level, and think your going to coach them into top line A10 players? This is a different level my friend, the top of this conference has power 5 level talent. This coach called Tre Williams something hyperbolic like “the best center he’s ever worked with”. Again, from what is an inferior conference, an above average player who is 6’6”. What has that turned into? A bang average A10 power forward for the most part…….

Same with the freshman. Mostly kids from Michigan and Ohio. Hard nosed, under sized, under talented. We are commonly battling MAC schools when you look at who else is recruiting who we are recruiting. That isn’t good enough to be a high level A10 team. That’s why with this model, we can continue to expect middle to below middle in the conference.

Who are some of the “ill behaved” “selfish” guys “with attitude” who couldn’t cut it with coach?

-primo spears-Georgetown
-Jackie Johnson-UNLV

Or another recent guy who didn’t fit the “KD guy” profile of tough Ohio/Michigan guy?

-Mounir Hima-Syracuse

What doesn’t need to be said is these are all SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER PROGRAMS THAN DUQUESNE. THIS IS WHO WE WANT TO BE!!!

Kevin Easley is another guy who didn’t fit the recruiting profile. Played so well and dominated the mid major level to the point he got picked up by a power 5. Was just ok, came here and produced early, and did he continue to grow here? Or did he fall out with the coach and LEAVE?!?!

Maybe coach didn’t like that he tested nba waters? Thought he was bigger than the team? Hima was from an ELITE basketball school in Jersey. Didn’t fit the profile? Not a KD guy?

Duquesne should be going after the best and most talented players they can get. I don’t give a s**** about someone’s attitude, in fact I want guys with some dog, and some nastiness, and some me ness.

Tre Clark is an example of that. We have 5 Tre Clark’s, we are competing at the top of the A10, it’s that simple.

Dambrot has said multiple times you “have to take the silliness with Clark” for all the good he does…..

Why does that not also apply to all of the most talented guys we had that Dambrot has run out of here over the years?????

Is it not the head coaches job to get the best out of their players, manage attitudes and help young men mature and grow? In whatever form that takes on a player by player basis??????

And yes, Ellis Cannon is just as second rate as everything else we do operationally. Where anything that goes well is either an accident or caused by outside influence (Cooper Fieldhouse). I personally find him to be an embarrassing representation of our university, and would love for them to find someone more qualified to analyze basketball next year.

All that being said, I’ll keep watching and hope something changes, but we kinda stink still.

Duq 102 glade you can post during your break at 7/11. Keep turning the hotdogs on the rollers.

1/22/2023 1:17 pm  #61

Unfortunately Duques102 you are on point regarding recruiting and player management.  Dambrot primarily leans on this Michigan/Ohio player profile, but we are not talking about Ohio State, Michigan State etc. talent - more like MAC level as you noted.  As you and Professor 1108 said this will only get you to the lower tier, middle at best, A10 caliber program.  KD said he was brought here to "win championships", hmmmm, something doesn't add up here.  That being said I just want to get excited about DU basketball so I am with the Professor that we just don't want to see a late season swoon - again.  And I will listen to KD's post game and I too hope he starts giving majority minutes to the young talented players we do have (Barre, Dixon, Rozier and Horonsky).  Time will tell..............

1/22/2023 1:17 pm  #62

Ironduke81 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

-primo spears-Georgetown
-Jackie Johnson-UNLV

-Mounir Hima-Syracuse

Duq 102 glade you can post during your break at 7/11. Keep turning the hotdogs on the rollers.

How did you know my major??? Would have been even funnier if you could spell my user name, or really anything correctly.

Last edited by Duques102 (1/22/2023 1:21 pm)

1/22/2023 1:27 pm  #63

Duques102 wrote:

the professor1108 wrote:

That would also be 5 parts of a starting 5 that those schools thought could help them. Make it make sense please.

Spears
Johnson
Baker
Easley
Hima

I would 100000% take that lineup over this one. They were all in the building and would all be on the floor together had they stayed.

Would you really? I think this team beats that one by 20.

1/22/2023 1:41 pm  #64

CityDuke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

the professor1108 wrote:

Spears
Johnson
Baker
Easley
Hima

I think it depends on coaching for both teams. More so making a pure talent comparison. No biases towards how they played for us etc. I think there is more talent there (and eligibility).

Last edited by Duques102 (1/22/2023 1:46 pm)

1/22/2023 1:50 pm  #65

Duques102 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Spears
Johnson
Baker
Easley
Hima

I think it depends on coaching for both teams. More so making a pure talent comparison. No biases towards how they played for us etc. I think there is more talent there (and eligibility).

You have your pick of a coach with that lineup. You can have John Wooden, and I honestly think the current Dukes with Dambrot win 9 out of 10.

1/22/2023 1:53 pm  #66

I think we are at a point where we need to hit lightning in a bottle and it all to happen in a year for the program to be revitalized. Now with the free agency nature of college hoops it actually seems more possible.

One year where enough guys stay over and we nail down a recruiting class way above what we are getting. If we have a turnaround year like that, and I’m talking tourney bid year, I think by the end of that season fans are bought in, less guys leave, we get better guys the next year, etc. to carry the momentum forward. I don’t think anything less that that will change where we are. The coop is a huge asset and hopefully that and NIL could be leveraged in a way to accelerate the programs progression via recruiting.

If that ever happened, what a rush it would be. Dukes would be the darling of Pittsburgh sports, packed coop, and all the media coverage we covet. One can dream!

1/22/2023 5:44 pm  #67

Look on the bright side, you could be a Buffalo fan.

1/22/2023 6:33 pm  #68

NapaDuke wrote:

phil95 wrote:

-I feel like winning at least 3 of the next 4 is imperative to avoid a disastrous end to the season
-Beating Fordham on 3/4 in NYC also seems like must happen
-Tre Williams really ain't perfect but is the only DU big with actual post moves & that has proven he can score against this level of competition.. He is also the only big on this team with both technique & a physique that make him a very good post defender & shot blocker. He also knows better than any other player on the team where he is supposed to be on both offense & defense. He has a great standing reach & wingspan. He will never be 4" taller & 15% quicker. He is another in a long line of Dambrot bigs that make little sense for the chosen defensive scheme. Keep in mind his performance against SBU just one game ago. 
-I love that Rotroff is staying healthy & that he actually tries to do what he is assigned to do. I dig his fight & attitude. However, he is lacking a bit in many areas both offensive & defensive. 7 minutes per game is just perfect for him unless he is rolling, there is foul trouble, or injuries. When the team was 13-5 I didn't see this way. Now it is time to sink or swim with the young guys. Austin is not returning this year. Also, he gets his shot blocked way too often, doesn't finish well through contact, & even after 5 seasons & 100+ attempts, is a bad FT shooter.
-Chabbi & Dixon have tremendous upside & winning bodies but not enough experience to apply what I hope they are being taught. Even so, when Reece is flailing around on offense & defense like he has for much of the last 3 games, they have to take his minutes. That kind of happened today.
-Taking Dixon & Rozier out during their respective hot streaks is so hard to understand. 
-I have no idea what the coaching staff should do for/about Dae Dae right now. I thought today was his best defensive game of the year & his effort level was very high for a long time. He was very good on the boards. He is so lost offensively wit hthe assists & turnovers being every bit as troubling as the shooting.

Tre played 22 min. Was 3-11, in this game, went  0-1 3pt, 1-2 FT, had 5 rebounds, ZERO on  Assit, 2 blks and 7 points. Not good.  This Dukes team is not a good interior half court team. That's not where they have an advantage. Just saying.

My point is that Tre is consistently the team's best low post option both on offense & defense. He was certainly much better than both Reece & Rotroff the last 2 games. His defense was, as usual, good to very good. I like him at 20 minutes per game and would hope that he plays a bunch with Barre & Dixon at the 5.

Joe Reece is quite hit or miss. I like him starting but being on a short leash after the first four minutes. If he is playing like he did against Dayton, SBU, & Fordham; I like the youngsters to include Hronsky. If he is doing work like he did versus St. Joe's & other inferior opponents, KD should ride him. That seems pretty obvious & the coach has said the same in at least 3 post-game press conferences I can remember including yesterday's.

You are correct, the Dukes are not good at post scoring in the half-court. The bigs are best on the run & with fast offense. Slow-down, half-court offense should be avoided at all costs. However, it is impossible completely forego interior offense in the half-court so, Tre is the guy for that. Who would you prefer the ball go into in that circumstance? Which big do you prefer for post defense?

I also think Tre is the best option because he also has the best experience in general & specifically against A-10 quality opponents. At his previous stop, he led the MVC in blocks 2 years in a row & made the All-Defensive team once. Last year he managed to finish 39th nationally in blocks per game. He is a career 50% shooter for his career including .504 this season.

Tre's SBU stats
19 minutes 5-8 FG   1-1 3PTFG   3 REB   2 assists  0 PF  0 turnovers  1 steal   2 blocks  11 points

1/22/2023 7:02 pm  #69

Duques102 wrote:

the professor1108 wrote:

Spears
Johnson
Baker
Easley
Hima

Of the players cited, only Primo has put up any statistics that are worthwhile, and his team is 5-15.  He is a below average 3 point shooter, decent at free throws, and good within the arc or driving to the hoop.  I never thought he was a good ball distributor; he seemed more focused on his personal game.  
Johnson comes off the bench and averages 11.9 minutes and 6.1 points per game.
Hima comes of the bench as well, and averages 8.6 minutes and 1.3 points per game.  He does have 25 blocks, however - 2nd best on his team.  (We always agreed he was a rim protector.)
Chad Baker is playing JC ball in Florida, having failed at academics at SDSU.  I suspect that was also an issue during his time at DU.

So, I would take our current team over that roster.  My only complaint is that I don't think this 1/2 court slow down game fits our current profile.  Press on defense and let them get out and run.  That probably will not happen though.  I recall that when Dambrot joined DU his early comments were that he liked man to man defense and the 1/2 court game.

1/22/2023 9:37 pm  #70

indygjm wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

the professor1108 wrote:

Spears
Johnson
Baker
Easley
Hima

Of the players cited, only Primo has put up any statistics that are worthwhile, and his team is 5-15.  He is a below average 3 point shooter, decent at free throws, and good within the arc or driving to the hoop.  I never thought he was a good ball distributor; he seemed more focused on his personal game.  
Johnson comes off the bench and averages 11.9 minutes and 6.1 points per game.
Hima comes of the bench as well, and averages 8.6 minutes and 1.3 points per game.  He does have 25 blocks, however - 2nd best on his team.  (We always agreed he was a rim protector.)
Chad Baker is playing JC ball in Florida, having failed at academics at SDSU.  I suspect that was also an issue during his time at DU.

So, I would take our current team over that roster.  My only complaint is that I don't think this 1/2 court slow down game fits our current profile.  Press on defense and let them get out and run.  That probably will not happen though.  I recall that when Dambrot joined DU his early comments were that he liked man to man defense and the 1/2 court game.

Exactly. Baker is playing JUCO ball after failing out as MWC 6th man of the year. Not to mention another member of his JUCO team is Andre Harris. Primo may be able to score the ball but cannot win... after two years of college basketball experience he will have one total win in conference play. That lineup averages 29.7 points total at the D1 level this season. (Johnson 6.1, Spears 16.6, Hima 1.3, Easley 5.7, Baker 0.0) Our current lineup would run them into the ground. Hell we could even just post up which is our weakness and dominate. I could also think of another lineup of completely different former players still in the NCAA that would stomp that team. This board is ridiculous after every single loss. As long as we continue to grow together, the only thing that matters and has mattered is getting hot at the right time... Which is March.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/22/2023 9:40 pm)

1/23/2023 3:45 am  #71

link to the press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3MEYLXAp04

1/23/2023 10:09 am  #72

Will be interesting to see what happening in the next game vs an inferior opponent at home.   Can the Dukes take care of business?   Handle a bad Loy of Chi team.   Win easily, maybe get hot again, start a winning streak.   Or, will it be a struggle, down to the last minute, bad shooting and lackluster play?   If its ugly, or maybe even a L, the season might look similar to last year.   And what a waste of talent that would be, and a coaching job deserving of a change asap.   I guess I will tune in, but wont expect anything pleasant.

FYI, Loy of Chi just beat St Bona by 12.

1/23/2023 10:22 am  #73

Was going to say that about Loyola beating the Bonnies.  And, GW beat Dayton.  So if there is any league that says “On Any Given Day” it is the A-10.  Plus, as we saw against Fordham, Duquesne isn’t that much better than any team we play.

Last edited by FAM (1/23/2023 10:33 am)

1/23/2023 11:46 am  #74

BluffHunter wrote:

link to the press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3MEYLXAp04

I can't believe that KD publicly & seriously referred to Rozier as a coach. I am also stunned to hear Rozier be allowed to publicly say he will be telling other players to go sit down at practice & he has to get them ready to play.

I really like Rozier but, he turned 18 at Thanksgiving & is, at this stage in his career, not even close to good enough to be a starting PG in the top half of the A-10.

KD didn't use the typical cliches of, "like another coach" or "having a coach on the floor" in reference to an accomplished player. He sincerely encouraged a reporter to ask a direct question of an 18 year-old freshman back-up because he IS a "coach".

How are the program's actual coaches supposed to feel about such statements? Does Kareem actually have the authority at practice to tell 24 year-old Brewer to go sit down if he doesn't like what Tevin is doing at that practice?

Just to be clear, I am not holding Kareem at fault in any way or questioning his motives/sincerity.

It's just...

1/23/2023 12:08 pm  #75

An “Inferior Opponent” to Duquesne does not exist in the A-10; so let me  just disregard any notion of superiority!  I mean this team just lost three of the last four games; and at times looked confused on offense and susceptible to hard drives to the rim on defense.  Opposing coaches have schemed us to the point that they are controlling the game at both ends.  Fordham had an excellent scheme to win on Saturday; and Duquesne was never able to solve their defense.  I suppose the strategy of tossing the ball into the post would have kept the game close; but an incredible number of missed shots within 2-4 feet from the basket prevented that from working; and their seemed to be no backup plan.  Defensively Fordham exploited a few matchups and tortured the Dukes with hard drives to the basket.  Failure to keep players in front of them has been a problem all year; and it’s not getting better.  Once Duquesne gave them more space, to avoid getting beat to the rim; Fordham just took advantage by hitting three straight threes and the game was history. So unless any of this mess changes, Duquesne will be considered the “inferior opponent” to anyone left on the schedule!

Board footera