Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2023 4:02 pm  #26

Re: Who's the next coach? Dambrot never got to NIT/NCAA in his 6 Years!

Winning down the stretch would do wonders for this board. Sometimes you just lose a basketball game that day. But watching the Dukes as well as coaching rotation is puzzling. However, if you win everybody praises the coach. At this point I do not see an upside to this season. St Joes, Umass, Fordham & GW improving. Just want to see the Dukes improve & peak in March. City Duke best you chill. This board has 50 years of basketball failures. & frustrations. Just my humble opinion.

1/29/2023 4:08 pm  #27

So as the title asks, then who's the next coach? The only name mentioned so far is Dru Joyce and I have no idea how that could possibly be any better. Kim English has a fantastic resume and is struggling at George Mason... Joyce was an assistant at Cleveland State. No disrespect to Dry as I love what he has brought to the team this year but the idea is to hire a new coach but somebody from the current staff? I don't think there's currently an option better than Dambrot. I want to see how he can retain and build around this years team.

1/29/2023 4:14 pm  #28

Ironduke81 wrote:

Winning down the stretch would do wonders for this board. Sometimes you just lose a basketball game that day. But watching the Dukes as well as coaching rotation is puzzling. However, if you win everybody praises the coach. At this point I do not see an upside to this season. St Joes, Umass, Fordham & GW improving. Just want to see the Dukes improve & peak in March. City Duke best you chill. This board has 50 years of basketball failures. & frustrations. Just my humble opinion.

I am chill, my friend. Haha. Just trying to swim against the grain with a positive perspective and big picture analysis.

1/29/2023 5:29 pm  #29

Of course we don't know if the AD is going to let Dambrot go or if he will retire.  And of course will these folks come here, but here are some thoughts.

1.  Orlando Antigua, Kentucky (played at Pitt, excellent recruiter.  But of course it's not hard to be a recruiter when you work at Kentucky.). He was also an assistant with Jaime Dixon.
2.  Mike Dunlap, St. Johns - has been around -supposed to be an excellent coach
3.  Jim Corrigan, Old Dominion

1/29/2023 5:48 pm  #30

Six years. One of those included a team with a great deal of potential getting full-stopped as COVID happened and cancelled everything. Also playing effectively every game on the road.

Then there’s needing to adjust to the NCAA transfer portal turning college basketball on its head.

There’s been nothing conventional about the college basketball landscape during his tenure at all.

Two ways to look at that - first would be to get a coach who is less conventional to navigate the new normal. If that’s your reasoning, fine, but tell me who that is and tell me if they would come to Duquesne. Second would be to acknowledge that the circumstances surrounding first six years have been nothing like what anyone could have reasonably anticipated and give him time

Though I’m wondering, who are all the coaches with success in the last 40 years to compare him against? Why do you all seem to think it’s a natural conclusion that Duquesne is some sort of sleeping giant ready to take over their league? There’s no legacy here that most people know about. There’s not a strong alumni base as far as sports go either - they jumped ship for Pitt or elsewhere years ago. This is the same shortsighted attitude that’s blamed the students - none of whom attend Duquesne because of the fun basketball atmosphere - for decades about their level of support.

Again, if the answer is that there’s some other coach out there who can step in and masterfully navigate the modern college basketball landscape year in and out,  then great. But you’d better be right or we’ve just wasted six years showing that Duquesne doesn’t have to be a basketball graveyard.

Last edited by Face (1/29/2023 6:03 pm)

1/29/2023 6:00 pm  #31

Face wrote:

Six years. One of those included a team with a great deal of potential getting full-stopped as COVID happened and cancelled everything. Also playing effectively every game on the road.

Then there’s needing to adjust to the NCAA transfer portal turning college basketball on its head.

There’s been nothing conventional about the college basketball landscape during his tenure at all.

Two ways to look at that - first would be to get a coach who is less conventional to navigate the new normal. If that’s your reasoning, fine, but tell me who that is and tell me if they would come to Duquesne. Second would be to acknowledge that the circumstances surrounding first six years have been nothing like what anyone could have reasonably anticipated and give him time
St Peter’s last year
Though I’m wondering, who are all the coaches with success in the last 40 years to compare him against? Why do you all seem to think it’s a natural conclusion that Duquesne is some sort of sleeping giant ready to take over their league?

1/29/2023 6:33 pm  #32

FAM wrote:

Of course we don't know if the AD is going to let Dambrot go or if he will retire.  And of course will these folks come here, but here are some thoughts.

1.  Orlando Antigua, Kentucky (played at Pitt, excellent recruiter.  But of course it's not hard to be a recruiter when you work at Kentucky.). He was also an assistant with Jaime Dixon.
2.  Mike Dunlap, St. Johns - has been around -supposed to be an excellent coach
3.  Jim Corrigan, Old Dominion

Antigua's tenure at USF was not very good. I think he's a career assistant. I don't want him.

Nothing about Dunlap's history impresses me.

I guess the question is, what about these guys screams "I can handle the modern NCAA environment"?

I see Ironduke attempted to reference St Peter's in quoting my post, but that was one year and they don't look impressive right now.

I'm not vehemently opposed to a change - but I'm not for it either. A change for the sake of it is useless.

1/29/2023 7:28 pm  #33

Agree. I don’t know of anyone personally just aware of these guys coming up in the past.  I don’t want change for the heck of it. I want someone who will get us at least to the NIT in 6 years.
Go Dukes

1/29/2023 7:54 pm  #34

I want to see Duquesne win as badly as the next person.  I have never been a basketball coach or player so I hesitate to criticize but I do have an opinion.  You know what they say about opinions!  I think that the young front court players should play much more.  The older guys are getting worked on the boards, play poor defense which leads to fouls and miss too many shots in close.  The freshmen will make their share of mistakes and that is to be expected.  I hope McGriff is available soon.  We need more height in the backcourt and we need scoring from the point.
As for the coach, let's see where we are at the end of the season.  Any coach is as good as his players. No scheme or plan will compensate for a lack of talent.  If he misjudged the ability of some of the players who were brought in, that's on him.  However, maybe he didn't have any better options.  
I'm frustrated too because I really want them to be good. I'm hoping they don't totally implode.  Time will tell.

1/29/2023 8:49 pm  #35

Well said Professor and let me add some other things for all to consider.  If talent trumps coaching for the most part, and I think it does, then its clear we haven't recruited well enough to get near the top of the A-10.  It has gotten better, but that was from a low water mark.  We also lose too many players to the transfer portal and the roster seems to get overhauled to an unacceptably high percentage.  Hell, the only player who spent his career as a Duke is probably Rotroff.  So the player management is an area where KD needs to do some self-evaluation.  Now I have said before that Dambrot also needs to get an assistant that has the recruiting chops to nab some better talent, is not wed to the MAC recruiting grounds and has contacts that we don't currently have.  People have said that change for the sake of change is not necessarily a good thing, and I don't disagree, but this is an area that needs to be strongly considered.  I also hope that with 5 scholies available we bring in a legit A-10 PG who is at least 6'1", if not taller, and a real banger inside.  I like Rozier as a back-up PG, but that would be it due to the limitations to his game and his height.  After the UMass game the need for an inside banger is painfully obvious.  Clark is our best player because he is not a one trick pony.  He is good offensively, super quick and a fabulous defender.  We need those qualities at more than one position.

1/30/2023 9:54 am  #36

I have been thinking about this topic, and while I think it is a little premature to draw conclusions, I do believe that Dave Harper knows what he is going to do and has his plan in place. Harper realizes that it would be a PR nightmare to fire Dambrot.  Do you all remember the media circus after Ferry?  Imagine firing a guy that has 500 wins. Speculation on my part, but I believe that there has been a deal already worked out for Drew Joyce to be the next coach.  The only question is when. Which is OK by me because I think he would be a great pick for DU.  I could be 100 percent wrong but shoe money talks.  In the meantime, I am still pulling for KD to turn this around and get us to the Big Dance.  This is our best chance in decades to win the A10, and who know all things are possible.

1/30/2023 10:27 am  #37

Is it time to accept DU as a bowling school now, and just enjoy their success and forget about ladies and mens bball?   Maybe its finally time to move to the patriot conference, if they will take us?   

There are 100 young and upcoming bball coaches out there looking for a stepping stone school to get to the big time, but would any want to come into this graveyard, and would the athletic department turn over all the stones in order to find a fit here?   I'm not sure, and if DU doesnt offer them $$$, then I would say no, just keep Dambrot around next year, maybe he can retain a few players(doesnt look likely tho).

1/30/2023 11:41 am  #38

This is tough. This isn't a lynching party, just a discussion board. I think that CLK may well be onto something here. I truly do hope that Dave Harper has given this some thought. Couldn't imagine otherwise. The question is what does he think? Is he happy with the current situation? Doubt it. You know right now RE's winning percentage at Duquesne is just a bit better that KD's. Really don't wish to open that can of worms but looks like I just did.  We all know what happened back then. Many were happy to see that change made. Well, here we are in a similar situation. I would be more than satisfied to see Drew Joyce succeed KD whenever that is deemed appropriate. I don't get to decide when that may be or if that will even happen. Bad decisions have been made in the past and could be made once again. I just hope that whatever happens will be well thought out and done in a totally professional way. Let's get some more wins and LET'S GO DUKES!

Last edited by El Presidente (1/30/2023 11:43 am)

1/30/2023 11:44 am  #39

Responding to the last 3 posts.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dru Joyce is made coach-in-waiting after this season is over and KD finished out his contract.

As far as changing conferences goes, the last time this was brought up the poster was pillaged. Personally I'm tired of the A-10. You have to get into the top four to have a realistic chance of winning the league tournament to get into the NCAA  tournament. The league NET rating fell out of the top ten which means it's a probable one-bid league. For those who think KD is overpaid, don't look now but his salary is at league average or lower. Frank Martin makes $1.7 million per year. Are we willing to beat that to stay competitive?

Last edited by scduke (1/30/2023 11:49 am)

1/30/2023 12:09 pm  #40

Not certain about changing conferences but totally agree that $1million doesn't get you what it used to!

1/30/2023 12:27 pm  #41

I am sensing and have heard some rumblings on what a few people have posted - I believe Keith Dambrot will be head coach until the end of his contract - end of 2023-24 season. But I think this off-season Dru Joyce is named the head-coach in waiting and will eventually take over when Dambrot's contract runs out.

I think that was the thinking all along bringing him in the year and especially with some of the health issues Dambrot had this past offseason.

Just my two cents. 

1/30/2023 2:43 pm  #42

I will be insurmountably disappointed if we sack Dambrot for somebody with 0 Division 1 head coaching experience. Something he said at his introductory conference was along the lines of "I just don't understand why people can't win here... Maybe I will feel differently about it in 5 years but now I see no reason why Duquesne cannot be a winning program." I firmly believe even after the train wreck of last year that is true and I think that Dambrot should also still believe that a school like Duquesne in a city like Pittsburgh shouldn't fail. The entire covid situation and the extreme change of players not having to sit out a year when they transfer are huge occurrences that happened in the last 5 years that were giant curveballs. Not to mention not having a home court for two years. Then again in his introductory press conference he also said they will find a way with or without the gym.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/30/2023 2:44 pm)

1/30/2023 10:49 pm  #43

I really enjoy the at least once annual we need a new coach thread. 
Regardless of what anyone thinks about Dambrot what makes anyone think hiring a new coach is the answer? How well has that worked out with what, 7 of 10 coaches since Red? That’s saying it worked out with Rice, Carroll, and Everhart (NIT bids, but fired) and has not with Dambrot (who has the highest winning percentage).
Duquesne’s best bet is for Dambrot to have something it can sell as success and stepping aside with Joyce taking over to build on it. 

1/30/2023 10:59 pm  #44

SteelBowl wrote:

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Dambrot what makes anyone think hiring a new coach is the answer? How well has that worked out with what, 7 of 10 coaches since Red? That’s saying it worked out with Rice, Carroll, and Everhart (NIT bids, but fired) and has not with Dambrot (who has the highest winning percentage).
Duquesne’s best bet is for Dambrot to have something it can sell as success and stepping aside with Joyce taking over to build on it. 

Annual? Feels like after every loss it's the end of the world. It's been obvious the only thing that matters is getting the team to perform in the A10 tournament. Yes the double bye would help immensely and it's still a possibility. 

1/30/2023 11:55 pm  #45

If I was a up and coming coach I would avoid Duquesne at all costs.Poor tradition,poor local high school talent to recruit,terrible fan support.The only thing Duquesne has to offer is playing time,the only thing that makes Duquesne attractive is the chance to play a lot of minutes if you are good or just average.What good is the money when you fail to measure up with folks pissing and moaning and you get fired because
Dukes cant get a NCAA invite which no coach here has done since 1977.Dambrot made a big mistake coming here.He is a good coach and this is best coach Dukes can get.The expectations arent realistic by
most of people on this board.A chance to have a winning season is a realistic goal.Next year Dukes will
have a brand new team as he has to recruit a whole new team due to transfers. NCAA nearly impossible
due to transferring.You cant build a program which Dambrot did at Akron recruiting players to stick around
for 4 years and coaching and developing that talent.That doesnt exist at A10 level.The conference as a whole is slipping because  schools offer recruits a chance of playing minutes and little else.Dayton ,richmond,st bona,vcu the exceptions because fans care and support teams

1/31/2023 12:01 am  #46

The next coach does not have to come from Division I. I remember Buzz Riddle came from NAIA Westminster and turned a sorry Pitt team around.

1/31/2023 1:53 am  #47

Bilgy wrote:

The next coach does not have to come from Division I. I remember Buzz Riddle came from NAIA Westminster and turned a sorry Pitt team around.

Either way, Dru Joyce does not have any head coaching experience.

1/31/2023 9:23 am  #48

SteelBowl wrote:

To be totally accurate, Mike Rice had the best winning % of the aforementioned coaches followed by RE then KD. John Carroll had a losing record but one winning season I believe.

1/31/2023 9:43 am  #49

Stew,
I know how passionate you are for DU basketball and are what one calls a die-hard supporter.  With that said, I disagree that one can’t win here.  Most recently, Ron E. Did and the jerk AD got rid of him.  The right coaches haven’t been here since. Just using some numbers Stew.  Let’s talk about tradition a little.  The Bonnies, right?  
[url=tel:86-89 - 31-53]86-89 - 31-53[/url]
89-92 -  22-62
[url=tel:92-2001 - 132-131]92-2001 - 132-131[/url]
[url=tel:2001-2003 - 18-27]2001-2003 - 18-27[/url]
[url=tel:03-07 - 24-88]03-07 - 24-88[/url]

Then came along Mark Schmidt, from across the street at Robert Morris.  Yes, the Bonnies took a chance but it was the right chance.  He is a winner in a place which did not have a proven tradition in a geographical area that is in the middle of nowhere.

Duquesne has tradition and has had better tradition…a new facility, excellent support from admin., and a competitive salary.  I watched a lot of games this weekend and the teams with average or poor records had many empty seats.  I remember sold out venues when R.E. Was here.  Dambrot has worked hard but hasn’t done it.

Look at Fordham’s record this year…17-4.  Maybe they finally got the right coach.  DU has had non-supportive AD’s and Presidents in the past.  Hopefully they will get a coach who can get it done.  Again Stew, I am not criticizing your passion or desire.  Just pointing out some other info.

1/31/2023 9:57 am  #50

BluffHunter wrote:

Bilgy wrote:

Either way, Dru Joyce does not have any head coaching experience.

Neither did Jamie Dixon when Howland left Pitt for UCLA. That turned out OK. Every D-1 head coach started as an assist.

Board footera