Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2023 9:32 pm  #1

Six-Way Tie for 7th Place

Since SJU beat GMU today there is now six teams tied for 7th place in the standings with a 4-5 record.That group includes Duquesne. When there is a tie with 3 or more teams the tie breaker is record against the other teams in the group. Here are the standings for the six teams tied in 7th place:
3-1 UMass
2-1 SJU
2-1 Mason
2-2 Richmond
2-2 Duquesne
0-4 URI

Full Standings:
1) Saint Louis 7-1
2) VCU 7-2
3) Dayton 6-3
4) Fordham 5-3
4) George Washington 5-3
6) St. Bonaventure 5-4
7) UMass 4-5
7) Saint Joseph’s 4-5
7) George Mason 4-5
7) Richmond 4-5
7) Duquesne 4-5
7) Rhode Island 4-5
13) Davidson 3-6
14) La Salle 2-6
15) Loyola Chicago 1-7  

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/29/2023 9:36 pm)

1/31/2023 9:38 am  #2

Re: Six-Way Tie for 7th Place

I think if I were KD I would shake up the lineup a little.  Below is my starting lineup with rotation depending on who is playing the best and who is healthy.  

Center - Rotroff, Dixon, Barre

PF - Reece, Williams 

SF - Clark, Gunn

SG - Grant. McGriff, Hronshy

PG - Rozier, McGriff, Brewer

Any other thoughts.

1/31/2023 1:00 pm  #3

-Are Dixon & Q injured or merely KD doghouse occupants?
-For a pressing lineup, I like when Dixon, Rotroff, Clark, Q, & Dae Dae play together.

1/31/2023 2:47 pm  #4

Gents, 
Here is my primary problem with KD and his hard headed attitude. I’m not sure where Dixon and Q are but I believe sickness and injury are great excuses for the doghouse. During one of KD’s post game pressers someone asked as to his substitutions and he answered with its a “feel” thing for him. I may not have the exact wording but I think you can all get the point. 

Last night while watching Syracuse I thought about a 2/3 zone with a back line of Dixon, Williams and Barre.The front could be Clark and Dae Dae. I don’t see that configuration getting beat to death on the boards. Also the length and quickness could cause teams problems. 

Looking at KenPom we are 14th in giving up offensive rebounds, we foul far too much and our two point defense is 12th. A ton of which are layups or easy put backs. This defense especially playing two terribly undersized guards is ridiculous. 

1/31/2023 4:18 pm  #5

The Dome wrote:

Gents, 
Here is my primary problem with KD and his hard headed attitude. I’m not sure where Dixon and Q are but I believe sickness and injury are great excuses for the doghouse. During one of KD’s post game pressers someone asked as to his substitutions and he answered with its a “feel” thing for him. I may not have the exact wording but I think you can all get the point. 

Last night while watching Syracuse I thought about a 2/3 zone with a back line of Dixon, Williams and Barre.The front could be Clark and Dae Dae. I don’t see that configuration getting beat to death on the boards. Also the length and quickness could cause teams problems. 

Looking at KenPom we are 14th in giving up offensive rebounds, we foul far too much and our two point defense is 12th. A ton of which are layups or easy put backs. This defense especially playing two terribly undersized guards is ridiculous. 

I don’t think this is the case. I have seen Dixon with heat packs on his knee during games. Also, McGriff hasn’t even been at the last couple games. I doubt there is anything deeper here beside what has been reported. If there is anything people on this board can appreciate about Dambrot, although I’m sure someone will find a way to disagree, it’s his openness and candor in pressers. We could definitely use McGriff right about now, I know that much!

1/31/2023 7:47 pm  #6

CityDuke wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Gents, 

I don’t think this is the case. I have seen Dixon with heat packs on his knee during games. Also, McGriff hasn’t even been at the last couple games. I doubt there is anything deeper here beside what has been reported. If there is anything people on this board can appreciate about Dambrot, although I’m sure someone will find a way to disagree, it’s his openness and candor in pressers. We could definitely use McGriff right about now, I know that much!

KD's press conferences & public commentary in general are now & have always been rife with spin, strategically disguised untruths, & lies of omission. He counts on the local media's & fanbase's apathy toward DU basketball to avoid being asked anything resembling a tough question. This has been indisputably proven on this forum, on several occasions, & by a variety of highly reliable posters. 
KD is neither open nor demonstrating candor. He is managing information for the purpose of making himself look like a better leader of the program than he is. His abilities as a rhetorician exceed his abilities as an in-game coach. 

He simply makes things up about past players & team results while repeatedly vowing to make systemic & schematic changes. At the beginning of seasons he swears that he has the right guys with the right chemistry, talent, & collective mindset. In the offseason he claims personnel changes were necessary because many of the same guys were actually underqualified bad apples but that wasn't his fault. He uses the classic rhetorical trick of taking responsibility for the situation as a whole because he is in charge without being accountable for the myriad individual actions & general incompetence that caused the problems.

If I were him in this situation, I would be doing the exact same things until either I could produce better results or somebody stopped me. 

City Duke:
I have to know. Do you actually believe that this program under this coach is headed for 20 + win seasons in years 7 & 8 that are followed by NIT and/or NCAA bids? If not, what is an acceptable amount of years to reach those goals?

1/31/2023 8:47 pm  #7

Anybody watching this Fordham-SLU game? 56-56 with under 6 to go and this is Fordham's best start in 50 years.

1/31/2023 9:13 pm  #8

Fordham wins.

1/31/2023 9:49 pm  #9

Haha Phil, you sound like a conspiracy theorist. Did Dambrot kick your dog or something?

1/31/2023 10:29 pm  #10

I said after Dukes loss to Fordham I thought Fordham was a good team.They play excellent defense
and they just got  inside the players head creating confusion the whole game for Dukes.

2/01/2023 1:02 am  #11

CityDuke wrote:

Haha Phil, you sound like a conspiracy theorist. Did Dambrot kick your dog or something?

1. No, I don't. Conspiracy theorists can't cite hard facts. They post nonsense & selective analysis like this:
"Player retention: Who have we lost that hurt us?  Williams Jr. got plucked by a high major.  That hurt.  Carry left for family/personal reasons. That hurt.  Weathers left to play with his brother. That hurt. Maybe I am blanking, but I cannot think of anyone else we lost that hurt us.  Baker was very talented, but we have all seen how that as played out.  We were better off.  Hima? Big project, replaced with better guys.  Better off. Okani, Norman, Ayers, Acuff all transferred down and are on losing teams.  Better off.  Johnson and Spears? Spears, no disrespect to him as he has been a bright spot on a terrible team, might be the losingest point guard in college basketball through his first two seasons.  Better off."

It doesn't matter why they left; that doesn't change the fact that a huge amount of players overall have left.
Here is a list of guys that left that either did or were likely to make a serious contribution to the program's success under a more adept coach as evidenced by what they did here or are did/doing elsewhere.
-Mike Lewis II
-Tarin Smith
-Spencer Littleson  
-Tydus Verhoeven
-Kellon Taylor
-TDM
-Mike Hughes
-Craig Randal III
-Frankie Hughes
-Sincere Carry
-Lamar Norman Jr.
-Eric Williams Jr.
-Marcus Weathers*
-Amari Kelly
-Maceo Austin
*He could have played with his brother at DU but they chose not to so they could go to a better program. He didn't go to SMU JUST to play with his brother. He also did it to get out of DU.
** I really wanted to include Nakye Sanders & Ike Mike on this list but that seemed unfair as they elected to move on when Ferry got fired.
***In 6 seasons as the head coach KD will have had 1 player complete his entire eligibility while at DU.

Every one of the above players came to DU before the current iteration of the transfer portal, the transfer once without sitting out a year rule, & COVID. They all came between the spring of 2017 & the fall of 2019. Since then, the following players with more eligibility have come & gone:
-Mounir Hima
-Chad Baker
-Jackie Johnson III
-Primo Spears
-Toby Okani https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4700873/toby-okani
-Leon Ayers III  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4703813/leon-ayers-iii
-Kevin Easley Jr.
-Tyson Acuff  https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4606831/tyson-acuff
-Andre Harris

2. While there has certainly been lively debate on this board about which of the 24 players listed above departures' was a good or bad thing, I will go out on a limb & say that no other devoted fan/poster would agree with your assessment that only 3 of the 35+ players that have left since KD took over "hurt" the program. I would would say that 13 of those 24 departures hurt the program. Further, losing better than 7 players per year isn't a good standard for any team before & "after" COVID. This, cannot be disputed. 

Just for fun, here is another list of players that never even kind of belonged at this level that KD & staff signed:
-Marko Krivacevic
-Nicholas Kratholm
-Brandon Wade
-Gavin Bizeau
-Dylan Swingle
-James Ellis
-Evan Buckley
-Ashton Miller
-Mike Bekelja
If they were never good enough to be here, who takes the blame for their lowering the rate of player retention?

3. I noticed your humorous post took the time infer that I am a conspiracy theorist but shied away from answering the questions I asked of you.
"I have to know. Do you actually believe that this program under this coach is headed for 20 + win seasons in years 7 & 8 that are followed by NIT and/or NCAA bids? If not, what is an acceptable amount of years to reach those goals?"
What say you?

2/01/2023 7:36 am  #12

Phil, you are responding to something I said in another thread? I thought we were talking about Dambrot’s pressers. Would be happy to discuss this, but please let’s have one conversation at a time. Bringing up things I said in another discussion…you sound like my wife! Haha

Will respond when I have some time.

Last edited by CityDuke (2/01/2023 7:39 am)

2/01/2023 3:54 pm  #13

I wouldn’t look past all of Dambrot’s statements during his pressers as hyperbole. Earlier this year he stated that after pulling McGriff for what he thought was an ill advised 3 that he hadn’t “earned” the right to take that shot. Also if Dixon is so badly hurt why does he put on a dunking exhibition in warm ups?  

Last edited by The Dome (2/01/2023 3:54 pm)

2/01/2023 9:46 pm  #14

We clearly will never agree on which departures hurt us as we are very far off in that regard.  Kellon Taylor? C'mon Phil, he was a football player.  Littleson never played for Dambrot. Hughes went pro.  Tarin Smith was absolutely another big loss, but once again another who was poached by a high major. And to counter your point, I think it absolutely matters why they left.  Any reasonable person would take context into account.  However someone who has their mind made up about a coach and is using info to support their view unconditionally might not.

However, I appreciate you taking the time to put these lists together.  While we certainly disagree on the value of these losses, it is nice to be able to refer to a concrete list so thank you.  The second list certainly shows some misses on behalf of our staff.  But I do think it is important to realize that misses are a part of this business, especially in our position.  The fact of the matter, whether we want to accept it or not, is that our current situation forces coaching staffs to take risks on players.  We are not going to get "sure things."  Maybe we can squeak a few sure things out as we did beat out some very notable schools for players in this current recruiting class, but due to the reasons listed by other posters and myself in this thread and others we are not in a position to rely on doing this consistently.  We have to search for diamonds in the rough, and sometimes these players have just been rough haha.  But let's not downplay the fact that this staff has also landed their fair share of diamonds.  

To answer your questions, yes I do think this coach can get it done.  As I mentioned in the other thread, he has overachieved since he has been here more times than not and has set and has rebroken several school records.  As fans, when we get a taste of some success and some exciting talent it can be easy to develop unrealistic expectations.  I have certainly done this over the Dambrot's time here as well.  But the big picture speaks for itself.  And zooming out beyond Dambrot's tenure shows us just what a desert Duquesne basketball has been. Our emotional knee-jerk reactions calling for heads after tough losses certainly does not help things.  Especially as this league continues to play out.  Some of our "bad" losses are not looking quite as bad.  And some of our "easy" wins are holding a little more weight.  Let's show our support, enjoy the ride, and evaluate things properly when the dust settles.

2/01/2023 10:22 pm  #15

After the weekday games, The Dukes are no longer involved in a tie and have sole possession of 9th in the standings. George Washington lost at LaSalle tonight.

1. VCU 8-2
2. SLU 7-2
3. Dayton 7-3
4. Fordham 6-3
5. SBU 6-4
6. GW 5-4
7. SJU 5-5
7. GMU 5-5
9. Duquesne 4-5
10. UMass 4-6
10. Richmond 4-6
10. URI 4-6
13. LaSalle 3-6
14. Davidson 3-7
15. Loyola 1-8

Last edited by BluffHunter (2/01/2023 10:29 pm)

2/02/2023 8:11 am  #16

next 4 games are against teams 5, 6 and both 7s in the standings.   Some might look at that as a chance to move into a strong 5th place, but will probably end up pushing us down to 12th, nothing changes. 

2/02/2023 9:24 am  #17

townsonkid wrote:

next 4 games are against teams 5, 6 and both 7s in the standings.   Some might look at that as a chance to move into a strong 5th place, but will probably end up pushing us down to 12th, nothing changes. 

I don't understand this type of fandom - honestly.  Why even write it?  Even if the logical side of your mind believes it to be true?  I know you go by "Towson" which is in Baltimore but I'm going to guess you are from Philly.  You sound like a Philly fan.  Gene Collier said it best, "My father is a die hard Phillies fan - he listens to every every inning of every game every season and he hates them."

2/02/2023 10:24 am  #18

CityDuke wrote:

We clearly will never agree on which departures hurt us as we are very far off in that regard.  Kellon Taylor? C'mon Phil, he was a football player.  Littleson never played for Dambrot. Hughes went pro.  Tarin Smith was absolutely another big loss, but once again another who was poached by a high major. And to counter your point, I think it absolutely matters why they left.  Any reasonable person would take context into account.  However someone who has their mind made up about a coach and is using info to support their view unconditionally might not.

However, I appreciate you taking the time to put these lists together.  While we certainly disagree on the value of these losses, it is nice to be able to refer to a concrete list so thank you.  The second list certainly shows some misses on behalf of our staff.  But I do think it is important to realize that misses are a part of this business, especially in our position.  The fact of the matter, whether we want to accept it or not, is that our current situation forces coaching staffs to take risks on players.  We are not going to get "sure things."  Maybe we can squeak a few sure things out as we did beat out some very notable schools for players in this current recruiting class, but due to the reasons listed by other posters and myself in this thread and others we are not in a position to rely on doing this consistently.  We have to search for diamonds in the rough, and sometimes these players have just been rough haha.  But let's not downplay the fact that this staff has also landed their fair share of diamonds.  

To answer your questions, yes I do think this coach can get it done.  As I mentioned in the other thread, he has overachieved since he has been here more times than not and has set and has rebroken several school records.  As fans, when we get a taste of some success and some exciting talent it can be easy to develop unrealistic expectations.  I have certainly done this over the Dambrot's time here as well.  But the big picture speaks for itself.  And zooming out beyond Dambrot's tenure shows us just what a desert Duquesne basketball has been. Our emotional knee-jerk reactions calling for heads after tough losses certainly does not help things.  Especially as this league continues to play out.  Some of our "bad" losses are not looking quite as bad.  And some of our "easy" wins are holding a little more weight.  Let's show our support, enjoy the ride, and evaluate things properly when the dust settles.

I just want to speak to 2 points:

1.  Player retention:  In any single instance, you should take context into account but when looking at the whole (the mass exodus each and every year) you have to acknowledge a trend and the Coach has to be responsible for that.  For a player who performed poorly for KD, you can't just say, "well we are better off without him."  Especially when that player plays better elsewhere.  Look at that list and you will see many players who performed better after they left.  It's on the coach to get THAT performance out of the player AND to make that player want to stay.  Again, any single instance can be explained away but there is certainly a trend.  Also, it's on the coach to get players who are great to stay.  It's not like KD lost any NBA lottery picks to better programs.  Why did he lose good to very good players to better programs?  In any single instance, there might be a reason out of his control but the trend speaks for itself.  In assessing player retention, instead of looking at who left, let's look at who has stayed.  The list is very short.

2.  Has he overachieved? Not by mine or most standards.  These school records you speak of?  A-10 wins?  He did set a school record for A-10 wins at 11 but that was an 18 game schedule that other coaches did not get to enjoy.  RE went 10-6  equally impressive.  I'd speak to other team records but i'm sure it's more of the same.  Maybe it's a case of you, "someone who has their mind made up about a coach and is using info to support their view unconditionally might not."  
KD is 40-54 in the A-10.  Overachieving?  When compared to JF (21-65) then yes.  When compared to RE (46-50) then no.  No post season tournaments.  I think the bare minimum of overachieving would have to include a post season tournament.  or even a run in the A-10 tournament.

I liked KD when he got here and was excited about the direction the team was headed but the trajectory has changed and when assessing the complete job he has done I'm ready to move on.  I think we could stick with him and achieve middle of the pack results most years but it's clear we are more likely to sink to the bottom of the A-10 then rise to the top under KD.  It's time to truly overachieve and find someone to take us to the top and into the postseason.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong and we blast into the stratosphere starting Saturday.  I will never stop believing.

2/02/2023 10:52 am  #19

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I don't understand this type of fandom - honestly.  Why even write it?  Even if the logical side of your mind believes it to be true?  I know you go by "Towson" which is in Baltimore but I'm going to guess you are from Philly.  You sound like a Philly fan.  Gene Collier said it best, "My father is a die hard Phillies fan - he listens to every every inning of every game every season and he hates them."

Sorry it bothers you that everything I have posted isnt all roses and pollyanna BS.   Actually, not sorry, dont care.
Do I get censured now?   Because I commented  about something that HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!

I dont hate.

btw, not from Bmore or Philly.  If you really wanted to know, you would ask, and not  try to insult me.

2/02/2023 11:45 am  #20

townsonkid wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Sorry it bothers you that everything I have posted isnt all roses and pollyanna BS.   Actually, not sorry, dont care.
Do I get censured now?   Because I commented  about something that HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!

I dont hate.

btw, not from Bmore or Philly.  If you really wanted to know, you would ask, and not  try to insult me.

Hahaha  Im not bothered at all by your posts.  Not sure what I said that led you to that conclusion.  Not sure where the insult is either - unless you are offended I suggested you may be from Philly.  I just honestly don't understand why a fan would post that.  On the contrary, I enjoy your posts actually.   Similar to watching a guy get hit in the nuts, your posts usually make me laugh.  

Now I believe you are not from Philly - too thin skinned.  Where ARE you from guy?

2/02/2023 12:34 pm  #21

CityDuke wrote:

We clearly will never agree on which departures hurt us as we are very far off in that regard.  Kellon Taylor? C'mon Phil, he was a football player.  Littleson never played for Dambrot. Hughes went pro.  Tarin Smith was absolutely another big loss, but once again another who was poached by a high major. And to counter your point, I think it absolutely matters why they left.  Any reasonable person would take context into account.  However someone who has their mind made up about a coach and is using info to support their view unconditionally might not.

However, I appreciate you taking the time to put these lists together.  While we certainly disagree on the value of these losses, it is nice to be able to refer to a concrete list so thank you.  The second list certainly shows some misses on behalf of our staff.  But I do think it is important to realize that misses are a part of this business, especially in our position.  The fact of the matter, whether we want to accept it or not, is that our current situation forces coaching staffs to take risks on players.  We are not going to get "sure things."  Maybe we can squeak a few sure things out as we did beat out some very notable schools for players in this current recruiting class, but due to the reasons listed by other posters and myself in this thread and others we are not in a position to rely on doing this consistently.  We have to search for diamonds in the rough, and sometimes these players have just been rough haha.  But let's not downplay the fact that this staff has also landed their fair share of diamonds. 

To answer your questions, yes I do think this coach can get it done.  As I mentioned in the other thread, he has overachieved since he has been here more times than not and has set and has rebroken several school records.  As fans, when we get a taste of some success and some exciting talent it can be easy to develop unrealistic expectations.  I have certainly done this over the Dambrot's time here as well.  But the big picture speaks for itself.  And zooming out beyond Dambrot's tenure shows us just what a desert Duquesne basketball has been. Our emotional knee-jerk reactions calling for heads after tough losses certainly does not help things.  Especially as this league continues to play out.  Some of our "bad" losses are not looking quite as bad.  And some of our "easy" wins are holding a little more weight.  Let's show our support, enjoy the ride, and evaluate things properly when the dust settles.

It's great to have you on the record. I look so forward to either the Dukes winning 20+ & getting post-season bids in years 7 & 8 of the Dambrot era or having you admit that you were dead-ass wrong about the abilities of the coach.

Then again, based on your inability to admit the folly of your post about player retention as corroborated by hard evidence, you probably won't ever say you were wrong about either subject.

I suppose you think TDM's departure prior to last season leaving the team without an experienced D-1 PG was good for the program. Was he poached by a superior program or did he just compile a bunch of meaningless stats on a crap team?

To date, 39 KD signees with remaining eligibility have come & gone in 5.5 seasons. You're right, that has had minimal impact on the culture & success of the program & the coach shares no significant responsibility for the crazy roster turnover.

2/02/2023 12:37 pm  #22

I'm not posting to support or defend anyone's position on this board. No one needs me to do that. We all have our opinions, and they are all valid and worthwhile for my money. I will say that we have 9 regular season games left on the schedule and after looking at our opponents, and the road vs. home location. I'm really not certain of any particular number of wins. While I'd like to win'em all, not really sure that we will win more than 1 or 2 of them the way things are going at the moment. I totally understand many posters negative views at this time. Hope that the Dukes wake up and find their shooting touch once again and that we get our 20 wins one way or another including post season, but I honestly do not see how that would happen. Not being negative here. Just being honest. Someone please give me some hope here. What am I missing that makes me lean toward a complete collapse at season's end? Let's Go Dukes!!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/02/2023 12:40 pm)

2/02/2023 12:47 pm  #23

El Presidente wrote:

I'm not posting to support or defend anyone's position on this board. No one needs me to do that. We all have our opinions, and they are all valid and worthwhile for my money. I will say that we have 9 regular season games left on the schedule and after looking at our opponents, and the road vs. home location. I'm really not certain of any particular number of wins. While I'd like to win'em all, not really sure that we will win more than 1 or 2 of them the way things are going at the moment. I totally understand many posters negative views at this time. Hope that the Dukes wake up and find their shooting touch once again and that we get our 20 wins one way or another including post season, but I honestly do not see how that would happen. Not being negative here. Just being honest. Someone please give me some hope here. What am I missing that makes me lean toward a complete collapse at season's end? Let's Go Dukes!!

I still believe, in this league this year, on any given night anybody beats anybody.  The hungrier, more confident team should carry the day.  Let's hope we are that team.  Some hope?  We have not lost to a "bad" team in the conference yet and we have beaten the best team.  I think that shows we'll win a few more before it's done and maybe a bunch more.   Had last season not happened I would have said there is no way KD lets this team quit on him.  But we know that is a possibility now.  I don't see that happening though.  Last season we ran out of able bodies to compete - but the able bodies we did have sure looked like they quit.

2/02/2023 1:05 pm  #24

Thanks Styles! Maybe need a suicide hotline here!

2/02/2023 2:26 pm  #25

1.  Keep an eye out for an interview with Dambrot and players on PSN to be published soon.  I don't think you will see any evidence of this team quitting.  These players are too good.  They have struggled with confidence but hopefully they will bust through this weekend and get on a roll.

2.  Negativity is contagious, and so is optimism. This board has gone as negative as it has been in a long time.  It is not a crime to be optimistic, and maybe it is just me, but I don't think it should be a source of pleasure to see an optimistic opinion fail.  Remember all the 21+ win preseason projections last season by posters.

Pax Vobiscum

Board footera