Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2023 2:49 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - St. Bonaventure University Bonnies (H)

21.7% from the three

2/11/2023 2:51 pm  #27

We had them all the way!  Well, not quite.  
But, I do have an observation.  When we slow down the game, we stink.  So, in the last few minutes of the game, we slowed down and tried to run out the clock.  It almost cost us the game.  Early in this game, when Dixon was in for a few minutes,  he was fantastic - blocking shots on breakaways, disrupting their point guards which allowed Tevin Brewer to make a steal, etc.  So, if we are going to slow down in the last three minutes, why not insert him  into the lineup for defense?
Anyway, great win.  Go Dukes.

2/11/2023 3:17 pm  #28

We won - don't care how or how close.  We won.

2/11/2023 3:17 pm  #29

Good point Indy; one other thing I see is that RJG is a weapon when his shot is on, but a bit of a liability when he's not. 

2/11/2023 3:21 pm  #30

A win is a win is a win and Wow did we need this one!!  So good to beat Schmidt and the obnoxious Bonnie fans!!  GO DUKES!!

2/11/2023 3:22 pm  #31

Defense to the rescue.
SBU had 23 pts in the 2nd half.
Shot 38%
DU outscored SBU 39-27 from 3;22 first half to the end of game
Give team credit for doing the hard work of  playing defense.

2/11/2023 3:24 pm  #32

Sent them all packing to Olean!!  Great defense. I had posted that it could be rough with a bad shooting game. Well it was but the defense bailed us out. About as good as I can ever remember really.

Last edited by El Presidente (2/11/2023 3:26 pm)

2/11/2023 3:41 pm  #33

Dambrot late game coaching is an absolute mystery. I can’t understand his combinations. Both small guards on the court to be shot over when Bonnie’s need 3’s. Dae Dae inbounding the ball?  I could go on. Bonnie’s 25 turnovers and we have 15 steals and your barely survive. 

2/11/2023 3:54 pm  #34

The Dome wrote:

Dambrot late game coaching is an absolute mystery. I can’t understand his combinations. Both small guards on the court to be shot over when Bonnie’s need 3’s. Dae Dae inbounding the ball?  I could go on. Bonnie’s 25 turnovers and we have 15 steals and your barely survive. 

Second half, Austin is in and doing damage and scoring, then KD sits him on the bench when nothing else is working as effective?  And in the closing seconds of the first, Duke have it driving the lane then instead of finish to the basket, kick it out with like 2 seconds left causing no shot as time ran out? If you are in the lane with a fairly clear path to the hoop, take it. We would have either a score or a foul or both, but instead, nothing.

2/11/2023 4:01 pm  #35

Dae Dae is so hot at times and cold at others.   They played best when both point guards were in and he sat for two minutes
KD needs to sit him a bit to get his focus back.
Aside from his circus shot falling out of bounds, he needed to pass more and shoot less when he is out of rhythm.

Last edited by coffee (2/11/2023 4:02 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/11/2023 4:02 pm  #36

CityDuke wrote:

6-2 fouls disadvantage. If this is homecooking, I do NOT like it.

From my seat at mid-court about 8 rows from the court, it looked like the refs were there to make sure that the Bonnies would win. It's crazy at times they blew the whistle, and I thought "it's about time", only to see the ref call it on the Dukes. And every time-out, why are the refs next to the Bonnies bench and let Schmidt talk to them every time?  It's like he is giving them instructions or something.   

2/11/2023 4:10 pm  #37

coffee wrote:

Dae Dae is so hot at times and cold at others. They played best when both point guards were in and he sat for two minutes
Aside from his circus shot falling out of bounds, he needed to pass more and shoot less when he is out of rhythm.

He gets impatient when they cover him so close to take him out of the game. It's like, he would do better, if the coaching staff designed the first plays to have him point up to set up our point or inside guys to score first, then re-orient the game to him. Second half, all our perimeter players drives to the hoop created more score than anything. Maybe that's a better way to start games against good defensive teams because they would not have prepared for it, then after half time, when our opponents come out to stop the drives to the hoop it may open up the perimeter shots. Just saying.

2/11/2023 4:19 pm  #38

Nice crowd, but that overhead music is bizarre at times? At 5:30 remaining in the game and the Dukes ahead by 8, time out and the Dukes fans start a cheer of "Let's go Dukes, I mean almost everyone, but instead the overhead music comes on louder than anyone can hear or think, drowning out our  fans?  It's like they are working for our opponents? Then they don't turn it off long past in-bounding the ball, I mean it's still on as we started play?  No one on Earth wants or needs that crappy noise during a college basketball game and it only makes our arena a neutral site?

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/11/2023 7:21 pm)

2/11/2023 4:31 pm  #39

Dukes now in 5th place 1/2 game out of 4th. If we didn't get screwed in the closing seconds at Richmond let alone a couple of mindless loses, we could have been right now in first place. But of course, the reality is we are 5th with a very good chance of finishing 4th or better, but it does prove how close this team is playing like a top team in the A-10 this season.

2/11/2023 4:41 pm  #40

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

From my seat at mid-court about 8 rows from the court, it looked like the refs were there to make sure that the Bonnies would win. It's crazy at times they blew the whistle, and I thought "it's about time", only to see the ref call it on the Dukes. And every time-out, why are the refs next to the Bonnies bench and let Schmidt talk to them every time?  It's like he is giving them instructions or something.   

You all know I am never shy in my criticism of the referees, but in the last 15 seconds they made two CRUCIAL mistakes that almost cost us the game. Tre Clark had the ball under our own basket, yes he probably should have used one of our three timeouts, but he was stripped which led to a Bonnies three which cut our lead to 3 with 9 seconds left.  The guy who stripped Clark was standing out of bounds.  How do you miss that?  Then with 2.2 seconds left the referees missed a clear as day lane violation.  Everybody in the greater Pittsburgh area knows that Banks is going to miss the free throw on purpose, so this potential violation should be under the microscope.  Contrary to those on the designated lane lines who can move upon free release of the ball, those on the top of the key cannot cross the three point line until the ball hits the rim.  Not only were they beyond the three point arc early, they were beyond the free throw line early.  One of whom is the one who knocked the ball out of Rotroff's hands leading to the potential buzzer beater.  Inexcusable.

https://mobile.twitter.com/A10Talk/status/1624492244991606784

Last edited by CityDuke (2/11/2023 4:50 pm)

2/11/2023 4:52 pm  #41

CityDuke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

You all know I am never shy in my criticism of the referees, but in the last 15 seconds they made two CRUCIAL mistakes that almost cost us the game. Tre Clark had the ball under our own basket, yes he probably should have used one of our three timeouts, but he was stripped which led to a Bonnies three which cut our lead to 3 with 9 seconds left.  The guy who stripped Clark was standing out of bounds.  How do you miss that?  Then with 2.2 seconds left the referees missed a clear as day lane violation.  Everybody in the greater Pittsburgh area knows that Banks is going to miss the free throw on purpose, so this potential violation should be under the microscope.  Contrary to those on the designated lane lines who can move upon free release of the ball, those on the top of the key cannot cross the three point line until the ball hits the rim.  Not only were they beyond the three point arc early, they were beyond the free throw line early.  One of whom is the one who knocked the ball out of Rotroff's hands leading to the potential buzzer beater.  Inexcusable.

St.B. had lane violations on other free-throws earlier that were clear and not called either?

2/11/2023 5:15 pm  #42

NapaDuke wrote:

Dukes now in 5th place 1/2 game out of 4th. If we didn't get screwed in the closing seconds at Richmond let alone a couple of mindless loses, we could have been right now in first place. But of course, the reality is we are 5th with a very good chance of finishing 4th or better, but it does prove how close this team is playing like a top team in the A-10 this season.

Agreed.  That Richmond game still hurts. 

It was like the refs were just calling it to stick it back at the fans (me among them) for getting all over them for bad calls. 

Absolutely the WORST refereed game I ever saw.  I hope it doesn’t mean the difference in not making the top 4.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

2/11/2023 7:02 pm  #43

No respect.  Channel 11 no Dukes highlights or even score mentioned.  Channel 4 did long pitt highlights, psu and wvu highlights, then Dukes highlights, she pronounced st bonaventure wrong and didnt mention that finish.   No respect, no respect i tell ya, even in our hometown.

2/11/2023 7:08 pm  #44

I am happy with the win,the team played great defense and the pressure and turnovers wore them down
inspite of our offensive woes.The effort and guts we played with on defense just outstanding.I think that kind
of victory was another step forward  in our quest for a top four finish in A10.

2/11/2023 7:15 pm  #45

CityDuke wrote:

Just watched the end of the Richmond/Loyola game.  Interestingly enough, the game came down the exact same scenario.  Loyola was at the line down 3 with 4.5 seconds left.  Made the first one.  However, before the second free throw which everyone knew had to be missed, one of the refs went up to the Loyola players at the 3 point line and warned them of a potential violation.  You could see him pointing to the line.  I don't know if the A10 officials discuss these items/mistakes this quickly after games or if this officiating crew was just slightly more adept than ours, but this was handled night and day to the ending of our game.  What a disaster that could have been if the last shot was released on time and counted.

2/11/2023 8:32 pm  #46

NapaDuke wrote:

coffee wrote:

Dae Dae is so hot at times and cold at others. They played best when both point guards were in and he sat for two minutes

He gets impatient when they cover him so close to take him out of the game. It's like, he would do better, if the coaching staff designed the first plays to have him point up to set up our point or inside guys to score first, then re-orient the game to him. Second half, all our perimeter players drives to the hoop created more score than anything. Maybe that's a better way to start games against good defensive teams because they would not have prepared for it, then after half time, when our opponents come out to stop the drives to the hoop it may open up the perimeter shots. Just saying.

I really believe this to have been a huge win. Mason mostly stinks & was shorthanded. While the margin of victory was great, that win was less meaningful for me. The Bonnies are a good team, with a very good coach that has killed our coach & his playing style for 5.5 years. They were healthy.  Winning this one in front of a larger-than- most, expectant, home crowd is a big deal. I feel the momentum!

Dae Dae is streaky but he was also the most impactful & best Duke again today. He is doing much more defensively, as a passer, as a rebounder, & as a leader than he was even a few weeks ago. He has really looked like a top-flight A-10 player of late.

He led the team in points (12), rebounds (7), assists (4), & steals (4) while committing no turnovers, hitting that clutch shot with 1:20 to go halting the Bonnies' 6-0 run, grabbing his 7th rebound in traffic with less than a minute to play,  calmy sinking 2 FTs with 30 seconds left, & having the presence of mind to call a timeout rather than give up the 5 second call on that poorly set/executed inbounds play.  His steals & assists were also tops for both teams as was his player efficiency rating. 

I love Rotroff.

I, of course, love the spirit & leadership of Rozier. His talent & freshman year contribution have exceeded my expectations. It will be very interesting to see if his work ethic & maturation process will have him become a great shooter & on-court thinker. The A-10 has had a bunch of smaller guys like him excel over their 4 year careers. Maybe it is finally time for DU to have a player like that. (I even try not to yell at him through the screen when he makes his inevitable 3-4 freshman mistakes each game.)

Slowing the game down by encouraging 1/2 court offense for the last 5 minutes, going a 2nd game against the same opponent without having an effective counter to SBU's low-post trapping & high screen switching defense, & having your guys NOT running any discernable under the basket in bounds play after a 3PT make in that tight, late-game situation is just poor coaching. Blame it on the whole staff if you like. That still doesn't change the facts.

The Dukes are faster, more talented, bigger, more experienced, & better shooting than the Bonnies. Our team is the better team at this time. The same was true in Olean. 

Shame on Davidson for not knocking off Fordham for the Dukes. The Dukes need to crush the Rams on the last day of the regular season.

No let down on Wednesday is permissible. A good team, on the rise, & at home must take care of the Hawks with no issues.

2/11/2023 10:11 pm  #47

Happy to be wrong about some of these guys, unbelievable performance tonight by the Dukes in their first home win against Saint Bonnie’s since 2016(!!).

They keep gelling and improving, beat a well coached defensive team with defense.

Love Roziers leadership, I can’t remember having a hype man like him in recent memory. Everyone chipped in tonight and that is how this team can be successful going forward.

Very encouraged, if we beat SLU I will be ready to call this team a real A10 contender!

2/12/2023 2:13 am  #48

townsonkid wrote:

No respect.  Channel 11 no Dukes highlights or even score mentioned.  Channel 4 did long pitt highlights, psu and wvu highlights, then Dukes highlights, she pronounced st bonaventure wrong and didnt mention that finish.   No respect, no respect i tell ya, even in our hometown.

Radio is even worse.  The “All Sports” station 93.7’s News Headlines only gives one headline anymore and no coverage of most scores other than just Pitt.   LAZY REPORTING and tons of non sports BS otherwise.  So much idle chat when they could have had KD on after his 500th win.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

2/12/2023 9:13 am  #49

As everyone has said its the D that won it. 25 Turnovers WOW!  As well as we have been playing offense you know these type shooting performances can happen.  The fact that the guys did not let that affect the defensive side of the ball is amazing.  Much of that credit has to go to the coaching staff for instilling that into them.  Coach D aka mr. Dambrot Defense even stated how much the D has improved over the course of the season.
It was indeed a great crowd and Kudos to the students also for showing up and filling those seats. No gimmicks to get them there this time just good old hard nosed winning basketball. Winning on the National TV stage was also a huge assest.
Despite not having the touch from the 3 point line Grant was fantastic with the game on the line.  But everyone contributed to this win. Kudos to the freshman Rozier who sometimes you think hes an upper classman.
It was great to see the Bonnie fans quietly exiting the place for once.

Lets Go Dukes beat an improving Hawks team on Wednesday  I believe!

Last edited by Motor (2/12/2023 9:13 am)

2/12/2023 9:30 am  #50

Keep rolling guy.  Go Dukes!

Board footera