Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2023 1:05 pm  #1

Stretch Run for the Double Bye

Nice recap by Mike Vukovcan of Pittsburgh Sports Now regarding the scramble in the A10 for a top 4 finish.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/02/13/duquesne-has-the-opportunity-to-earn-double-bye-in-a10-tournament-with-strong-finish/

2/13/2023 2:52 pm  #2

Re: Stretch Run for the Double Bye

Remaining schedules.   Can we win 5 of 6?  Hold court at home is a must, beat LaSalle and one of the other 2 on the road?   Heck, win all 6 and leave no doubt!

Duquesne: vs. Saint Joseph’s, at Saint Louis, at LaSalle, vs. Davidson, vs. UMass, at Fordham.
Saint Louis: vs. Davidson, vs. Duquesne, at Richmond, vs. Loyola Chicago, at VCU, vs. Dayton.
Fordham: vs. St. Bonaventure, at VCU, at Loyola Chicago, vs. Rhode Island, at George Mason, vs. Duquesne.

What would the A10 message board heads think of a top 4 of VCU, Dayton, Fordham and Duquesne?   How great would that be?!?!?

Last edited by townsonkid (2/13/2023 2:52 pm)

2/13/2023 3:12 pm  #3

68 and 32

Every year I’m  asked my wish for the Dukes.  Every year it’s the same.
1.  Be competitive
2.  Every few years, make the  NCAA or NIT

It appears that number 1, unless there is a total crash, will have been met

68 get in the NCAA - Our only chance is if we win the A-10.
32 get in the NIT.  AS of today, we wouldn’t qualify.  However, if we can not lose more than 1 game down the stretch and at least get to the A10 finals (if we wouldn’t win it) we have a chance.

Go Dukes

2/13/2023 3:24 pm  #4

Current A10 NET Rankings….  Top 6
78 Dayton
84 VCU
103 Saint Louis
111 Duquesne
130 Fordham
147 George Mason

2/13/2023 4:36 pm  #5

Pitt still couldn't crack the top 25.   Way to go top 25!!!   

If, BIG IF, we get to 23-10, and dont get a NIT bid, that would be a kick to the stones.  I would hope if the chance presents itself, Harper would be willing to host a game or more.

2/13/2023 4:56 pm  #6

Problem is that you gotta pony up $100,000 to host a CBI game.  You get nothing in exchange except for the limited exposure of TV for the game.

2/13/2023 5:28 pm  #7

townsonkid wrote:

Pitt still couldn't crack the top 25.   Way to go top 25!!!   

If, BIG IF, we get to 23-10, and dont get a NIT bid, that would be a kick to the stones.  I would hope if the chance presents itself, Harper would be willing to host a game or more.

I would suspect that 23 wins and getting into the Top 100 NET would get the Dukes into the NIT as an 8 seed (one of the final 4 in); provided there are not too many upsets of the top regular season conference champions in their conference tourneys. 24 wins would be pretty much a lock.

Big week for the Dukes to continue their climb. This is the first time since 2001-02 (believe it or not, under Danny Nee) that Duquesne has opened the month of February with three-straight wins. DU has never won four in a row to start February since becoming a conference member in 1976-77.

2/13/2023 7:45 pm  #8

Guys my opinion, screw the cbi...super minor league trophy for losers

2/14/2023 8:20 am  #9

Dont you have to buy NIT home games?   I dont care about a CBI, and wouldnt care if they got in if they told them we only do road games.   But I thought NIT home games were pay to play, no?   Regardless, lets get it done, its been a while.   First up, St Joey.

2/14/2023 9:53 am  #10

townsonkid wrote:

Dont you have to buy NIT home games?   I dont care about a CBI, and wouldnt care if they got in if they told them we only do road games.   But I thought NIT home games were pay to play, no?   Regardless, lets get it done, its been a while.   First up, St Joey.

Nope. Tourney is fully run by the NCAA. As I understand it, participating schools get some share of revenue (estimated at $5,000 for each game played).  Home teams (higher seeds) get a significant share of their ticket sales; travel expenses are covered by the NCAA.

Madison Square Garden no longer is the host for the semifinals and championship game. It’s Las Vegas this year (Orleans Hotel) and next year Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler University.

2/14/2023 10:50 am  #11

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Guys my opinion, screw the cbi...super minor league trophy for losers

I'm a fan first.  I don't worry about the purse strings of the university.  CBI to me means more basketball games to watch.  Say what you will but I certainly remember those CBI games back in the day and they were fun.  When the A-10 tourney ends we get no more basketball until November.  I'll take a couple more games if they are offering.

2/14/2023 11:24 am  #12

I'd take a CBI, I mean, its not like we are used to NCAA or NIT bids.   IDK if I am paying to play at home, but I want to continue playing if I am a player.   If it were to come out they turn a bid down, then I would expect another large number of transfers, which I hope is not the case.   What 18-23 y/o doesnt want a chance to go to Vegas?  But lets get that NIT, or NCAA bid.

2/14/2023 12:36 pm  #13

The last 2 posts by Towson & Styles about CBI participation are also true for me. At this point, an NCAA bid is a huge longshot while an NIT bid is realistic though somewhat unlikely.

Winning out the rest of the schedule & ateast 2 A-10 tournament games would, of course, change these scenarios dramatically. 25 total wins with 10 straight in February & March is serious business.

Winning 23 or so games & a CBI championship would also be an amazing accomplishment likely to keep players here & fans engaged.

More winnimg Dukes basketball is always good!

I don't care what that costs. DU owes their few diehard fans some chance to enjoy postseason play RIGHT NOW!

2/14/2023 1:06 pm  #14

phil95 wrote:

The last 2 posts by Towson & Styles about CBI participation are also true for me. At this point, an NCAA bid is a huge longshot while an NIT bid is realistic though somewhat unlikely.

Winning out the rest of the schedule & ateast 2 A-10 tournament games would, of course, change these scenarios dramatically. 25 total wins with 10 straight in February & March is serious business.

Winning 23 or so games & a CBI championship would also be an amazing accomplishment likely to keep players here & fans engaged.

I don't care what that costs. DU owes their few diehard fans some chance to enjoy postseason play RIGHT NOW!

Phil and others couldn’t agree more with to keep playing!
The extra games and experience should help all the returning players for next year! Go Dukes

2/14/2023 1:06 pm  #15

Let's play all the post season games that we can whenever and wherever! Naturally hoping for a long shot NCAA spot by winning the A-10 tournament. If not, then make the NIT. If that doesn't happen, let's win the CBI!  Keep the Duquesne brand out there in the public eye! GO DUKES!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/14/2023 1:07 pm)

2/14/2023 2:29 pm  #16

Looks like we wouldnt get the choice to host a CBI game.....it is a $50K buy in to play however.

The 2023 College Basketball Invitational (CBI), a NCAA postseason men's basketball event, will be held March 18-22 in the arena at the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach. The CBI will have a 16-team bracket with a single-elimination format. 

Tickets for the 2023 College Basketball Invitational go on sale at https://www.ticketmaster.com/college-basketball-invitational-tickets/artist/1845977. Tickets may also be purchased at the Ocean Center box office on CBI game days.

Sat. March 18 - 11 a.m. (4 games)
Sun. March 19 - 11 a.m. (4 games)
Mon. March 20 - Noon (4 games)
Tues. March 21 - 7 p.m. (2 games)
Wed. March 22 - Championship -- 5 p.m. (1 game)

2/14/2023 2:42 pm  #17

phil95 wrote:

Look, if the coaches let these Dukes attack St. Joe. with the superior speed that this team has, then once again we will win. If we go to St.L. on the weekend and again use the advantage of superior speed and a very deep bench then again the Dukes will win. If KD and the staff, isn't afraid of loosing more than winning the rest of the season, then they will let this team out run and score on the fly and run the table. KD's team this year is not an inside half court team, is not a slow down offense, but is one of the fastest paced teams in D-1 with 12 deep that all have superior court-vision. Play fast and sub deep and win. If this coaching staff is afraid to do that, then that's how average seasons work. Tomorrow night, run St Joe off the court. Go Dukes.

2/14/2023 3:25 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Looks like we wouldnt get the choice to host a CBI game.....it is a $50K buy in to play however.

The 2023 College Basketball Invitational (CBI), a NCAA postseason men's basketball event, will be held March 18-22 in the arena at the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach. The CBI will have a 16-team bracket with a single-elimination format. 

Tickets for the 2023 College Basketball Invitational go on sale at https://www.ticketmaster.com/college-basketball-invitational-tickets/artist/1845977. Tickets may also be purchased at the Ocean Center box office on CBI game days.

Sat. March 18 - 11 a.m. (4 games)
Sun. March 19 - 11 a.m. (4 games)
Mon. March 20 - Noon (4 games)
Tues. March 21 - 7 p.m. (2 games)
Wed. March 22 - Championship -- 5 p.m. (1 game)

thanks for finding this Towson.  Good info

2/14/2023 4:59 pm  #19

When we got in the NIT in 2009 our RPI ranking was in the mid-70's. We were a #7 seed in an 8-team bracket. There were only 5 automatic qualifiers that year. All were #8 seeds except one #6 seed (Davidson).
I get the impression the selection committee follows the NET rankings closely after it knows who the automatic qualifiers are. So it seems the NIT is a stretch--possible if we get to the A-10 championship game like we did then.

2/16/2023 4:58 pm  #20

In a normal season, finishing in the top half of the A10 with 20+ wins would get you at least an NIT bid. In fact every team that's ever finished in the top half of the A10 with 21 or more overall wins got an NIT bid if they didn't get an NCAA bid. I went back as far as the NCAA's takeover of the NIT in 2005. The Dukes did this in '09 when they finished 5th in the 14-team A10 and won 21 games overall. Of course they needed to win three games in the conference tourney to get to that mark.

Now this isn't a normal year for the A10, it's a weak one-bid league so maybe a stretch that that pattern will hold. Still if we can stay in the top 7 and get to at least 21 wins overall, we're at least in the conversation for the NIT. For every win over-21, I'd say our chances of an NIT bid increase exponentially

2/16/2023 8:50 pm  #21

Nice research. Thanks.

Keep winning. Roger that!

2/16/2023 9:12 pm  #22

2 tough road games coming up. LaSalle on a 5 game winning streak.

Board footera