Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2023 8:09 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Joseph's University Hawks (H)

applecorps wrote:

Greatest play of the game? I would give that to Jimmy Clark on the incredible steal, pivot and pass to QM for the jam that ended the first half. 

Apple that was impressive

2/16/2023 8:13 am  #27

applecorps wrote:

Greatest play of the game? I would give that to Jimmy Clark on the incredible steal, pivot and pass to QM for the jam that ended the first half. 

Absolutely the stuff that highlight reels are made of. Great play and a great overall game with solid play at both ends of the court. Let's do it again this Saturday in St. Louis!  GO DUKES!

2/16/2023 8:27 am  #28

Another solid outing for our Dukes! The scary thing is we can be even better.  A lot of missed open shots, a little careless with the ball at times, and more defensive miscues/miscommunications than we are used to.  I am nitpicking of course.  We could have won by 30, but I will gladly take a slightly-less-than-capable performance resulting in a double digit win any day of the week.  Let's keep this train rolling! I hope Dixon is okay.

2/16/2023 8:48 am  #29

What are the blue heart patches on our jerseys for? I’m sure I must have missed it somewhere on this board, so apologies for the uninformed question

2/16/2023 8:54 am  #30

applecorps wrote:

Ditto. That was a back-breaker for St.Joe's.

2/16/2023 8:56 am  #31

Another strong defensive effort by our Dukes.  This team is playing with a high lever of intensity and confidence.  Make no mistake this is a team effort we are not dependent on any one player carrying this team, everyone contributes and steps up either defensively or scoring.  Last night I thought that McGriff, Dixon, and Brewer stepped up big.  Keep this train rolling guys.  Go Dukes!

Did anyone hear the President Gormley interview with Ray Goss at the half?  It was great.  Loved his positive attitude.  He had me pumped.  

2/16/2023 9:09 am  #32

Jackdoc13 wrote:

What are the blue heart patches on our jerseys for? I’m sure I must have missed it somewhere on this board, so apologies for the uninformed question

There were some tables set up last weekend at the game with health care workers getting people to sign up for...  I actually don't remember - heart health survey?  a heart test?  it's a health care thing anyway.  The tables had the blue heart symbol displayed

2/16/2023 9:11 am  #33

CLK wrote:

Another strong defensive effort by our Dukes.  This team is playing with a high lever of intensity and confidence.  Make no mistake this is a team effort we are not dependent on any one player carrying this team, everyone contributes and steps up either defensively or scoring.  Last night I thought that McGriff, Dixon, and Brewer stepped up big.  Keep this train rolling guys.  Go Dukes!

Did anyone hear the President Gormley interview with Ray Goss at the half?  It was great.  Loved his positive attitude.  He had me pumped.  

I did not

But I agree that it's a team effort.  I think JImmy Clarke is the MVP but on any given night someone new steps up.  Tre dominated the 2nd half on both ends of the court.  When that dude plays confidently he is exceptional.

2/16/2023 9:20 am  #35

Great night at the Coop.  It was also very refreshing not to dig a deep whole in the first half and have to rally again in the second half like we have been doing at home a few times. Of course as everyone said the D is fantastic. Gotta take care of the ball a little better and avoid some of those turnovers. 

As far as the blue heart goes and this is purely speculation on my part. 
Is the reason they are wearing that to support Barre?  Someone mentioned to me at a previous game that he may not be playing because of an abundance of caution regarding this condition.  With the Demar Hamilin situation every sports team needs to take extra caution and testing.
Again this is not a confirmed reason just hoping Barre gets better soon and we see him blocking shots and dunking again.
Go Duke

2/16/2023 9:21 am  #36

applecorps wrote:Greatest play of the game? I would give that to Jimmy Clark on the incredible steal, pivot and pass to QM for the jam that ended the first half."

Some plays are exceptional.  That play was a game changer and hit St. Joe's like a dagger in the heart.  It sent the message that "you can't beat us" unless you have the ability to mount  a super human effort.  It totally deflated the Hawks.

THE LIGHT BLUE HEART IS TO REMIND THE PUBLIC OF AUTISM AND WELLNESS PREPAREDNESS TO THAT CONDITION.

Last edited by grammudder (2/16/2023 9:24 am)

2/16/2023 10:36 am  #37

Good win, lots of guys contributed.   Solid team effort.   I sure hope Dixon is ok.   Watched the post game, didnt seem like coach new the extent, but he was on the bench at least, no ice, or crutches.   He looked so good when he was in last night too!   

2/16/2023 11:01 am  #38

townsonkid wrote:

Good win, lots of guys contributed.   Solid team effort.   I sure hope Dixon is ok.   Watched the post game, didnt seem like coach new the extent, but he was on the bench at least, no ice, or crutches.   He looked so good when he was in last night too!   

I saw Dixon running in place and doing the high knees drill on the sideline after the injury.  hopefully he can rest on Saturday and be ready to go for the stretch run.

2/16/2023 11:12 am  #39

CLK wrote:

CLK I was at the game and was unable to hear Gormely's interview.  What were some of the items he mentioned?  

Great Game and Time last night!  Go Dukes!

2/16/2023 11:39 am  #40

Call me impressed!  The way this team plays D and shares the ball is something I tell you.  Clk you are correct about the 3 guys that really stepped up and helped and it is so nice to know that if someone has an off shooting night others are there to pick up the slack.  Dae Dae didn't let his shooting derail his defensive intensity, rebounding or assists either - this is what I love.  Finally, as others have said, and KD even noted, I hope Dixon can make it through the season as we really need him - especially with Burre out.  I can only imagine the potential of Dixon if he gets his knee taken care of - my goodness what a high ceiling.  GO DUKES!!

2/16/2023 11:51 am  #41

PistolPete wrote:

Call me impressed!  The way this team plays D and shares the ball is something I tell you.  Clk you are correct about the 3 guys that really stepped up and helped and it is so nice to know that if someone has an off shooting night others are there to pick up the slack.  Dae Dae didn't let his shooting derail his defensive intensity, rebounding or assists either - this is what I love.  Finally, as others have said, and KD even noted, I hope Dixon can make it through the season as we really need him - especially with Burre out.  I can only imagine the potential of Dixon if he gets his knee taken care of - my goodness what a high ceiling.  GO DUKES!!

Not sure what this means but he was looking ok in warmups after halftime.  I am taking that as not severe.

2/16/2023 12:14 pm  #42

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I saw Dixon running in place and doing the high knees drill on the sideline after the injury.  hopefully he can rest on Saturday and be ready to go for the stretch run.

Good news!   I saw a manager hand him something, seemed to be a pill(s), and he swigged it down with a drink, maybe ibuprofen to limit swelling or pain.   Might need him Saturday, but I doubt they push him.   Gunn and Rotroff need be ready and Reece has to stop reaching in or whatever he does to get so many fouls.

2/16/2023 12:51 pm  #43

Bsduq2008 wrote:

CLK wrote:

CLK I was at the game and was unable to hear Gormely's interview.  What were some of the items he mentioned?  

Great Game and Time last night!  Go Dukes!

As I mentioned he was Ray's half-time guest. and Ray remarked that he was out there giving the players high fives and excited as any the way the half ended.  Gormely said he loves being out there with the players and how much he enjoys being with the students.  I really enjoyed his enthusiasm as he talked about the Men's and Womens basketball programs, and DU Athletics.  Ray said maybe this will be the year DU will return to the NCAA and Gormely replied: "no maybe DU will be there and so will you and I Ray."  He said he will be in St. Louis this weekend for the game and will host an Alumni event there.  I really enjoyed his optimism and enthusiasm.  Not like some of the dead wood that occupied that position in the past who never went to any basketball games. and would never condescend into cheering with the players, students and fans.  We are very fortunate to have President Gormly and he deserves as much credit as anyone for his efforts and support in raising DU athletics.

2/16/2023 3:39 pm  #44

Totally agree with the sentiment regarding Prez Gormley. 
Of course as fans when we get a taste of success we always want more; but at the same time let’s all enjoy what these guys are accomplishing.  We have a team representing Duquesne that is talented, plays as a true team, defends, steals the ball, gets easy baskets off those steals, and in general is getting better down the stretch. It’s great to be a legitimate contender for an A-10 Title at this point.  Let’s hope it continues into March. 
Defense is contagious when it leads to easy baskets, everyone wants to chip in.  The team that gets the most easy baskets usually wins!

2/16/2023 3:48 pm  #45

Just a thought since KD mentioned Greer in his post-game, but Greer drove the lane in the second half off a pick or screen to the hoop down the paint to a layup constantly, that caused the Dukes to foul too much taking him on. Likely going to see that drive more by teams going down the final few games unless, in the paint,  the Dukes change their approach and have someone in front of him get into position for a charge, then Greer has choice, get called for a charge or  to go left or right  to a "off the glass lay-up to which again the next Duke sets to  blocks it off the glass. This rarely causes a foul. It's not just this game, but I've seen it a few times now, teams are getting a drive in the paint and we take them on for a face to face block and it's mostly a DU foul. This guy almost got all of our Bigs in foul trouble in the second half, (KD mentioned that) and the coaches should consider a different approach to stop it. Just saying. 

Board footera