Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2023 9:08 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis University Billikens

Rayrich wrote:

You don't pull your hot hands (Brewer and Grant on offense, and Clark on defense) when you jump out to a 15 point lead. Brewer was in a zone man. Should have gotten 15 minutes playing time, but instead, Rozier comes in and it's a 2 point game at half. Thinking Brewer was a plus ten and Rozier a minus 15 from what I watched. Not gonna win this game unless you put your best players out there for the majority of minutes. Sorry not to see Dixon playing. He could have really helped especially on defense, as Reese is a bit of a defensive liability at this point (understatement of the year). Got to win this game Dukes. The double bye is on the line and a win might give you a tad of respect among the masses who see this program as a joke. Not that I give a shoot about what they think. C'mon Dukes make a statement just once. 

Rozier checked in when the score was 14-13 St. Louis. His entrance sparked a run that made it 31-16 Dukes.

2/18/2023 9:30 pm  #27

Elbow in the face results in a flagrant 1. Yet they still count the 3 point basket that occurred after McGriff gets elbowed in the face? Interesting.

2/18/2023 9:34 pm  #28

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

You don't pull your hot hands (Brewer and Grant on offense, and Clark on defense) when you jump out to a 15 point lead. Brewer was in a zone man. Should have gotten 15 minutes playing time, but instead, Rozier comes in and it's a 2 point game at half. Thinking Brewer was a plus ten and Rozier a minus 15 from what I watched. Not gonna win this game unless you put your best players out there for the majority of minutes. Sorry not to see Dixon playing. He could have really helped especially on defense, as Reese is a bit of a defensive liability at this point (understatement of the year). Got to win this game Dukes. The double bye is on the line and a win might give you a tad of respect among the masses who see this program as a joke. Not that I give a shoot about what they think. C'mon Dukes make a statement just once. 

Rozier checked in when the score was 14-13 St. Louis. His entrance sparked a run that made it 31-16 Dukes.

And his exit? Not so good. Brewer keeping them hanging around in the 2nd half. Nobody else stepping up.

2/18/2023 9:38 pm  #29

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Look at the stats

2/18/2023 9:40 pm  #30

Need to stop their drives to the hoop.

2/18/2023 9:46 pm  #31

RJ Gunn is absolutely horrible at defense.  One of his worst games as a Duke.

2/18/2023 9:47 pm  #32

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Look at the stats

Ray, welcome back by the way. Must have missed you these last four wins. I understand Tevin is playing very well. But do not diminish Rozier’s role in the first half. His entrance sparked that run as I already told you. When you play as hard as our Dukes play, you need to rotate players. I don’t know what else to say.

2/18/2023 9:47 pm  #33

Dukes currently shooting just 37% in half court in the second half? SL 70 percent in transition?

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/18/2023 9:48 pm)

2/18/2023 9:53 pm  #34

They might be better than us in transition to be honest wow. They hardly scored on us in the halfcourt. All of their points are in transition or second chance points. Dambrot needs to keys the refs in on pushes in the back when the ball goes up for next time we play them in the tournament.

2/18/2023 9:58 pm  #35

Defense is picking up.

2/18/2023 9:59 pm  #36

lilpav30 wrote:

RJ Gunn is absolutely horrible at defense.  One of his worst games as a Duke.

He’s not shooting well either.  They needed him to step up today.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/18/2023 10:05 pm  #37

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Look at the stats

Ray, welcome back by the way. Must have missed you these last four wins. I understand Tevin is playing very well. But do not diminish Rozier’s role in the first half. His entrance sparked that run as I already told you. When you play as hard as our Dukes play, you need to rotate players. I don’t know what else to say.

His entrance didn't spark it. Grant and Brewers three pointers did. There was "No defense" what so ever from the get go. Four wins against middle of the road teams? Am I supposed to be excited? Got a good laugh out of the silly responses as if the program suddenly turned around. What am I supposed to praise this guy for beating these teams. All I know is we can't win on the road (2-6) and we are not that good. Dive for a loose ball once in a while, elbow somebody, complain about the officiating, and for god's sake just give a (profanity). This teams isn't winning anything anytime soon with this coach. Sorry, but it's reality. Good night. See you next season.

2/18/2023 10:09 pm  #38

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Look at the stats

His entrance didn't spark it. Grant and Brewers three pointers did. There was "No defense" what so ever from the get go. Four wins against middle of the road teams? Am I supposed to be excited? Got a good laugh out of the silly responses as if the program suddenly turned around. What am I supposed to praise this guy for beating these teams. All I know is we can't win on the road (2-6) and we are not that good. Dive for a loose ball once in a while, elbow somebody, complain about the officiating, and for god's sake just give a (profanity). This teams isn't winning anything anytime soon with this coach. Sorry, but it's reality. Good night. See you next season.

Ray, Brewer wasn’t in the game during that stretch.  Rozier came in for him. I don’t know why I waste my time haha.

Last edited by CityDuke (2/18/2023 10:11 pm)

2/18/2023 10:24 pm  #39

Hard to win on the road. Too much transition by SL in the second half, almost none by the Dukes. SL only shot one 3 pointer? Just all transition.  Not the best D by the Dukes, but did not put them away when we were up by 15. At that point we needed to push it to plus 20 then most teams fall apart. Close but no cigar. Hope we get to top 4, but, if not, DU has a deep bench and can go 5 games, but they deserve to finish top 4 this year.

2/18/2023 10:24 pm  #40

Lets see them in BK, NY.  Right now, Dukes should want all the a10 smoke.  But they better snap back for lasalle. 

4 games left….finish.

2/18/2023 10:24 pm  #41

Dukes are playing tough this year.  I’ll take it.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

2/18/2023 10:26 pm  #42

Double digit lead and the first and then they get sloppy, flinging up threes early in the clock and not playing smart.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/18/2023 10:29 pm  #43

According to post game show we gave up 30 lay ups.

2/18/2023 10:31 pm  #44

Ray, after checking the stats like you asked, this is what I have found. According to the +/-, Brewer had a -13 and Rozier had a +7.

More interesting numbers for the rest of us. While it felt like they killed us in transition, they had 17 fast break points to our 16. It wasn’t even the second chance points that really killed us. They had 20 to our 11.

Hard not to love the fight from our Dukes. We dared Jimerson to beat us on the dribble and he was up for the challenge. Also, some of their other guys (Hughes and Pickett) made some big time shots that normally don’t. SLU have to feel like they got away with one tonight.

2/18/2023 10:41 pm  #45

CityDuke wrote:

Ray, after checking the stats like you asked, this is what I have found. According to the +/-, Brewer had a -13 and Rozier had a +7.

More interesting numbers for the rest of us. While it felt like they killed us in transition, they had 17 fast break points to our 16. It wasn’t even the second chance points that really killed us. They had 20 to our 11.

Hard not to love the fight from our Dukes. We dared Jimerson to beat us on the dribble and he was up for the challenge. Also, some of their other guys (Hughes and Pickett) made some big time shots that normally don’t. SLU have to feel like they got away with one tonight.

Fast breaks and transition are not always the samething, and we went up in the first half in transition, and or, fast breaks, we let SL run transition, or, fast breaks way more than us in the second half.  Our half-court inside game in the second half produced nothing except turnovers to which SL ran it down the court for scores. These Dukes are very good in most phases of the game except half-court inside to our bigs. All year, it's never a positive for this team. Not tonight either.

2/18/2023 10:49 pm  #46

CityDuke wrote:

Jimerson should never beat you on the dribble, unless you are flat footed. Give me a source for those stats please as the eye test showed different. St. Louis had 30 layups tonight. No team wins with that defenseless effort. The only reason the Dukes stuck around was because of their 3 point shooting which won't get any better than that, but they still lost. 90 points allowed against USL? Really? When was the last time USL scored that many in an A-10 game? I don't fault the players and effort I fault the system and substitution patterns. Should have pressed early and often when up by double figures. Played right into their hands. Like I told my wife Diane, Dambrot is keeping USL around by not pressing. She agreed. Not rocket science. When it was a fifteen point game and they went into their halfcourt offense I said to Diane it will be a one point game by half. Was a point off. Hope i'm wrong, but this guy will ever take this program to an NIT bid let alone an NCAA bid. I do believe Joyce would be a great replacement though. 

2/18/2023 10:56 pm  #47

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Jimerson should never beat you on the dribble, unless you are flat footed. Give me a source for those stats please as the eye test showed different. St. Louis had 30 layups tonight. No team wins with that defenseless effort. The only reason the Dukes stuck around was because of their 3 point shooting which won't get any better than that, but they still lost. 90 points allowed against USL? Really? When was the last time USL scored that many in an A-10 game? I don't fault the players and effort I fault the system and substitution patterns. Should have pressed early and often when up by double figures. Played right into their hands. Like I told my wife Diane, Dambrot is keeping USL around by not pressing. She agreed. Not rocket science. When it was a fifteen point game and they went into their halfcourt offense I said to Diane it will be a one point game by half. Was a point off. Hope i'm wrong, but this guy will ever take this program to an NIT bid let alone an NCAA bid. I do believe Joyce would be a great replacement though. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/earlaustinjr/status/1627146665864953856

2/18/2023 11:07 pm  #48

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Maybe we should fire Dambrot and hire one of the hundreds of other better coaches out there waiting to take over at Duquesne?  Maybe we can get Ferry back since he did so well after we fired the last winning coach we had?
Same stuff from some who think they’d make a better coach and who can’t appreciate heading for a 20 win season and a team that can play head to head against one of the best teams in the conference on their court.

This program is Duquesne not Duke.  Lighten up.  We have a chance to win it this year.  We already beat VCU once and proved we have a chance on a neutral court.

Last edited by coffee (2/18/2023 11:14 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

2/18/2023 11:18 pm  #49

coffee wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Maybe we should fire Dambrot and hire one of the hundreds of other better coaches out there waiting to take over at Duquesne? Maybe we can get Ferry back since he did so well after we fired the last winning coach we had?
Same stuff from some who think they’d make a better coach and who can’t appreciate heading for a 20 win season and a team that can play head to head against one of the best teams in the conference on their court.

Not saying we should fire him Coffee, but we are not going anywhere with him either. Sure, a 20 win season is nice, but if you're not even getting into the NIT what's the point. Dixon, Clark, Barre will be moving on to Power 5 schools next year no doubt. Grant, Reece, Brewer, Rotroff, and Gunn will be gone. What does that leave us really. Life in the transfer portal age. Need a coach who is going to keep guys around which this coach hasn't shown. Joyce on the other hand is another story.

2/18/2023 11:20 pm  #50

Good God

Board footera