Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2013 11:07 am  #1

Robert Morris Game on Saturday

Ok, my negative anger toward DU BBall is fading.  I just hated being at that game last night as I thought we looked bad.  My thoughts on Saturday:

1.  RM will probably play a 2-3 zone.  They usually play zone.  Coulter can not go inside as he tried last night and got snuffed!  
2.  I wouldn't even start Coulter.  He needs to start two bigger guards.
3.  There was only one time when Watkins was in there last night with Soko.  I would play both of them at the same time.
4.  I still can't figure out why Jeremy Jones starts...I would start Watkins in his place.
5.  If he doesn't have our guys play better deffense we will lose.

FAM

12/12/2013 11:30 am  #2

Re: Robert Morris Game on Saturday

FAM wrote:

Ok, my negative anger toward DU BBall is fading.  I just hated being at that game last night as I thought we looked bad.  My thoughts on Saturday:

1.  RM will probably play a 2-3 zone.  They usually play zone.  Coulter can not go inside as he tried last night and got snuffed!  
2.  I wouldn't even start Coulter.  He needs to start two bigger guards.
3.  There was only one time when Watkins was in there last night with Soko.  I would play both of them at the same time.
4.  I still can't figure out why Jeremy Jones starts...I would start Watkins in his place.
5.  If he doesn't have our guys play better deffense we will lose.

FAM

4. Because, who else did he have? Watkins just became available. The only other options were Gill, and Jerry Jones, both of whom are terrible. I would hope that Watkins will start after he gets his feet under him. If Robinson gets cleared soon, it would give us a nice 4 man rotation up front, of guys who all have good length.

12/12/2013 2:42 pm  #3

I am wondering if we should just wait until next year for Robinson.  Will it really make a difference this year?  Also, if we don't hit from outside against that zone, then what!

12/12/2013 3:12 pm  #4

Here's the deal on Robinson.  He has a "hearing" with the NCAA eligibility investigator this weekend via phone conferencing. At issue is whether his school in North Carolina had legitimate curriculum core subjects that qualify Jordan as an acceptable scholarship student/athlete.  No more and no less.  I am led to believe his SAT qualifying score was more than acceptable.  Jordan isn't the only student/athlete to be investigated where the North Carolina "basketball factory" school he attended is the institution that reported qualifying "core" credits.  BTW, Jordan has gone from 273 lbs when he came to campus in the summer to a svelte 242 lbs.  I saw him play when he was about 255-260 and he had no trouble getting up and down the floor.  He can probably help this year and I'd prefer seeing him get some playing time in this year against D-1 competition.  A year without playing can make one too rusty-witness Isaiah Watkins who hasn't played in a year and a half!   Of course, what I'd like and what the NCAA may rule are two different things.  As to the game Saturday, look for lots of fouls against Robert Morris. They have been traditionally a "thug" basketball team who thrives on intimidation defense.  With the new ticky-tack rules in place, that dog won't hunt against the Dukes.  I look for a win.  I believe our talent level has risen this year beyond that of Robert Morris's.

Last edited by grammudder (12/12/2013 3:15 pm)

12/12/2013 4:14 pm  #5

We tend to beat the Colonials here and lose at Moon. They are down this year, so I expect that trend to continue. As to the starting 5 and game rotation, Coach Ferry has not had the opportunity to play the group he was counting on coming into this season. Things are still a patchwork. The games will be touigher when we get into league play, but by the end of January we should have a very good idea of what he has and what he needs to get for next year.

12/12/2013 4:52 pm  #6

good points grammudder

12/12/2013 4:56 pm  #7

grammudder wrote:

Here's the deal on Robinson.  He has a "hearing" with the NCAA eligibility investigator this weekend via phone conferencing. At issue is whether his school in North Carolina had legitimate curriculum core subjects that qualify Jordan as an acceptable scholarship student/athlete.  No more and no less.  I am led to believe his SAT qualifying score was more than acceptable.  Jordan isn't the only student/athlete to be investigated where the North Carolina "basketball factory" school he attended is the institution that reported qualifying "core" credits.  BTW, Jordan has gone from 273 lbs when he came to campus in the summer to a svelte 242 lbs.  I saw him play when he was about 255-260 and he had no trouble getting up and down the floor.  He can probably help this year and I'd prefer seeing him get some playing time in this year against D-1 competition.  A year without playing can make one too rusty-witness Isaiah Watkins who hasn't played in a year and a half!   Of course, what I'd like and what the NCAA may rule are two different things.  As to the game Saturday, look for lots of fouls against Robert Morris. They have been traditionally a "thug" basketball team who thrives on intimidation defense.  With the new ticky-tack rules in place, that dog won't hunt against the Dukes.  I look for a win.  I believe our talent level has risen this year beyond that of Robert Morris's.

Grammy thanks for the information. Hopefully the NCAA will rule quickly after the hearing.  This process had to be very agonizing for him and his family.

12/13/2013 9:56 am  #8

12/13/2013 10:04 am  #9

At the PSU game there were a number of students there.  I "think" that today is the last day before Christmas break.  Of course at Palumbo, you can tell if students are there are not.  With the continual losing in front of large crowds, a possible snow storm, and finals being over, we could be in for another embarassing no fan game.

12/13/2013 11:11 am  #10

http://www.duq.edu/Documents/registrar/_pdf/Final_Exam_Schedules/FA2013_Final_Exam_Schedule.pdf

FINAL EXAM SCHEDulE
FALL semester 2013
Examination Dates
 Thurs Dec 12 Fri Dec 13 Sat Dec 14 Mon Dec 16 Tues Dec 17. Wed Dec 18

So hopefully some students will attend the game.

12/13/2013 2:52 pm  #11

Any chance this game could gets pushed back due to weather. Can't remember it ever happening.

12/13/2013 3:27 pm  #12

Don't remember it ever happening either and I remember some big snow storms.  Plus, in Pittsburgh the success of the amount of snowfall predicated by the weather gurus rivals the win-loss record of the Dukes. 

On a bball note; From the article in the newspaper:
"Against an experienced Nittany Lions backcourt, Duquesne guards Tra'Vaughn White and Derrick Colter missed 18 of 21 shots"

He has to start someone at least in place of Colter.  (I thought it had a "U" in it)

Last edited by FAM (12/13/2013 3:32 pm)

12/13/2013 4:14 pm  #13

FAM wrote:

Don't remember it ever happening either and I remember some big snow storms.  Plus, in Pittsburgh the success of the amount of snowfall predicated by the weather gurus rivals the win-loss record of the Dukes. 

On a bball note; From the article in the newspaper:
"Against an experienced Nittany Lions backcourt, Duquesne guards Tra'Vaughn White and Derrick Colter missed 18 of 21 shots"

He has to start someone at least in place of Colter.  (I thought it had a "U" in it)

He really doesn't have anyone else. White was worse than Colter, and Ridenhour was awful as well. It's pretty easy to bench a guy when the replacement has been doing something to earn more time. It's tougher when the replacements have been stinking out the joint as well.

12/13/2013 4:41 pm  #14

Isn't there someone he can start that at least won't HURT us?  I am not looking for someone to score a bunch of points.  I am looking for someone who can get them up the court and not play out of control.  Not saying you are wrong, but it isn't that Colter doesn't help us, he hurts us.  Maybe he will do better tomorrow.  I hope!

12/13/2013 4:48 pm  #15

FAM wrote:

Isn't there someone he can start that at least won't HURT us?  I am not looking for someone to score a bunch of points.  I am looking for someone who can get them up the court and not play out of control.  Not saying you are wrong, but it isn't that Colter doesn't help us, he hurts us.  Maybe he will do better tomorrow.  I hope!

I was watching Ridenhour just for that reason, but man, he was bad as well. I don't think Indy Jones can handle the point, but man, it would be nice to have size like that at that position.

12/13/2013 5:30 pm  #16

FAM wrote:

At the PSU game there were a number of students there.  I "think" that today is the last day before Christmas break.  Of course at Palumbo, you can tell if students are there are not.  With the continual losing in front of large crowds, a possible snow storm, and finals being over, we could be in for another embarassing no fan game.

Finals are not over until next week for everyone; although it just depends on scheduling.

12/13/2013 5:43 pm  #17

duq81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

I was watching Ridenhour just for that reason, but man, he was bad as well. I don't think Indy Jones can handle the point, but man, it would be nice to have size like that at that position.

Jeremiah is most definitely not a point guard by any stretch; that would happen only if three or four others would foul out.  Size isn't really an issue for point guards, understanding how to attack a defense and make everyone else better is more important than size.  I agree that the position is really hurting us right now, and the team cannot progress without stronger point guard play.  In my opinion, point guards are like quarterbacks in football, they are hard to develop unless they have the instincts for the position, almost an inborn trait.

12/14/2013 8:23 am  #18

12/14/2013 8:36 am  #19

CLK wrote:

grammudder wrote:

Grammy thanks for the information. Hopefully the NCAA will rule quickly after the hearing.  This process had to be very agonizing for him and his family.

THANKS GRAMMY -- I agree with CLK maybe he is eligible - maybe he is not -- BUT IT SHOULD NOT TAKE UNTIL MID DECEMBER to make that determination -  It is unfair to the kid - and this is NOT an instance where the facts may have changed and additional time may have been needed to gather the evidence etc.

12/14/2013 8:45 am  #20

I remember 3 or 4 years ago watching Bobby Mo play LIU @ Brooklyn and the Blackbirds had a big 6-7 forward from Texas and a small point guard tearing up RMU. I thought that I wish Duquesne played this way.

I had no clue who Ferry was and no thought RE would be fired, he always had winning teams, but here we are.

Maybe today will be a battle, maybe not, but I have decided to be patient this year. Almost everyone is new and two key players are missing, it is hard be a fan of Duquesne but a few of us never quit hoping.

BTW, did you notice Iowa /Iowa State played last night, wasn't it Iowa State Duquesne beat out there on a Bill Clark trey about 5 years ago? They are now ranked 17.

And the beat goes on....

A diehard fan since 1961

12/14/2013 8:51 am  #21

No, it was Iowa.

12/14/2013 8:57 am  #22

Phil,
I am glad you are being patient.  I need some of that.  For some reason I just don't have that patience any more.  Just tired of the Dukes losing.

12/14/2013 10:26 am  #23

FAM wrote:

Phil,
I am glad you are being patient.  I need some of that.  For some reason I just don't have that patience any more.  Just tired of the Dukes losing.

It's hard to be patient after 40 years. I'm just hoping that the team improves, and is playing better down the stretch. Only the during AJax' senior year, can I remember a Dukes team really coming on strong late in the year. Usually, it's been a case of declining play late in the year. This goes all the way back to Cinicola, and has happened under Rice, Carroll, RE, and last year under Ferry. I want to go into the offseason encouraged that the team will be able to take a significant step forward next year, setting them up for serious contention in years 4 and 5 of the Ferry regime.

12/14/2013 10:50 am  #24

duq81 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Phil,

It's hard to be patient after 40 years. I'm just hoping that the team improves, and is playing better down the stretch. Only the during AJax' senior year, can I remember a Dukes team really coming on strong late in the year. Usually, it's been a case of declining play late in the year. This goes all the way back to Cinicola, and has happened under Rice, Carroll, RE, and last year under Ferry. I want to go into the offseason encouraged that the team will be able to take a significant step forward next year, setting them up for serious contention in years 4 and 5 of the Ferry regime.

I'm certainly tired of the losing.

I've just been worn out by it and while I used to think I'd always have season tickets I now question whether I'll renew each year.  If I don't see improvement over the course of this season who knows what will happen.  Right now I see us as a team finding a way to lose.  We need to be a team finding a way to win by February. As far as my tickets, I'd certainly go to some games, but why continue to pay a premium price for seats and make an additional donation to watch the same old thing with empty seats beside me?

12/14/2013 11:20 am  #25

Heck, I'll take a 500 team for a while with a nice win over a local rival.

Board footera