Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2023 3:05 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Offensive foul on Tre Williams on one end. Then Moore does the same thing to Grant and refs swallow their whistles. Get a T Dambrot. I am sick of this. 14 to 2 free throws.

Why isn't Dixon or Austin  in there instead of Williams. That should have been a double technical, not so one sided. Too many calls are one-sided in this game. . 

Williams is a 4. Rotroff and Dixon are both 5s. Would love to see Dixon learn to play the 4 as well over the offseason. But I agree, Dukes playing 5v8 once again. Dukes against the world!

3/04/2023 3:11 pm  #27

CityDuke wrote:

That scuffle doesn’t happen if they call the 1) jumpball 2) travel on Quisenberry or 3) the hook on Quisenberry.

Not surprising that they missed all three, I don’t know why I always have such high hopes for the officiating for a decently called game. This now makes it 13 free throws to 2. Surprise, surprise…

Or, Gunn, the fifth year senior; got beat on defense, definitely fouled the player more than once, & lost his composure leading to a justifiable technical & lots of FTs that launched a downward spiral. 

Optimism & team spirit are cool. Regularly blaming officiating for the outcome of games is a mark of juvenile fandom. Gunn made played poor defense, made a small mistake, & followed it up with what turned into a colossal mistake.

3/04/2023 3:18 pm  #28

Williams should be on the bench today, he’s costing the team points on both ends.   
THEIR announcers are Fordham announcers.  Of course they want Fordham, unlike Ellis Cannon for us, who likes the other teams players and useless stats.
Still at 11 pts.  15 mins left.  They need one of those hot streaks.

Oh well.  Nice defense guys!

Last edited by townsonkid (3/04/2023 3:28 pm)

3/04/2023 3:19 pm  #29

phil95 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

That scuffle doesn’t happen if they call the 1) jumpball 2) travel on Quisenberry or 3) the hook on Quisenberry.

Not surprising that they missed all three, I don’t know why I always have such high hopes for the officiating for a decently called game. This now makes it 13 free throws to 2. Surprise, surprise…

Or, Gunn, the fifth year senior; got beat on defense, definitely fouled the player more than once, & lost his composure leading to a justifiable technical & lots of FTs that launched a downward spiral. 

Optimism & team spirit are cool. Regularly blaming officiating for the outcome of games is a mark of juvenile fandom. Gunn made played poor defense, made a small mistake, & followed it up with what turned into a colossal mistake.

Phil, are you watching the game?

3/04/2023 3:24 pm  #30

townsonkid wrote:

Williams should be on the bench today, he’s costing the team points on both ends.
THEIR announcers are Fordham announcers. Of course they want Fordham, unlike Ellis Cannon for us, who likes the other teams players and useless stats.
Still at 11 pts. 15 mins left. They need one of those hot streaks.

Couldn't agree more

3/04/2023 3:29 pm  #31

Well, that 2 minute stretch ends an hope i had for today.  My goodness.   From 11 to 20 PDQ.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/04/2023 3:29 pm)

3/04/2023 3:30 pm  #32

Well, I thought the Dukes were the more talented squad, not so sure now. It's clear which team plays smarter and wants it more.

3/04/2023 3:31 pm  #33

This really sucks.

3/04/2023 3:42 pm  #34

Thoughts… going out on limb here before the game is over…
-they are better than us and play better defense than us…
-we aren’t getting smashed because of the officials
-we better hope someone beats them in the A-10before we have to play them because they Will beat us 3 times
- George Mason is peaking and will be the tough out
-If we don’t get to the finals no NIT or NCAA again

3/04/2023 3:48 pm  #35

We can say the game was more than the officials, but I will say this…basketball is a very momentum-based game.  Momentum is extremely fragile. We were all over Fordham early in the game. When it was basketball. Playing very well. They were out of sorts. They found some footing and then their footing was reinforced with a 7 point possession from the officiating. The tides turned dramatically. We beat them in the tourney, mark it.

3/04/2023 3:49 pm  #36

Just embarrassing. Playing for the double bye and this is the effort you put out? Good lord

3/04/2023 3:58 pm  #37

I appreciate your optimism, City, regarding a 3rd meeting, but honestly, what are you seeing that suggests we can handle them in a 3rd try on a neutral court?  Heck, right now I am worried w'll be one and done after this beatdown.

3/04/2023 3:59 pm  #38

FAM wrote:

Thoughts… going out on limb here before the game is over…
-they are better than us and play better defense than us…
-we aren’t getting smashed because of the officials
-we better hope someone beats them in the A-10before we have to play them because they Will beat us 3 times
- George Mason is peaking and will be the tough out
-If we don’t get to the finals no NIT or NCAA again

Good chance the Dukes will be one and done.  The CBI will be a very competitive tournament because there will be many 20 plus win teams invited in the 16 team field and quite a few that don't have 20 wins from the Power 5/6 conferences since the NIT is down to 32 teams. From what i've read the CBI has a real opportunity to compete with the NIT in the future if they can field quality teams this year in their 16 team tourney. No more invites to mid major conference teams with barely .500 records. This performance won't help our chances to get an invite to the CBI. They'll probably have to win at least 2 games in the tourney to get a bid. Not that they are deserving at this point.

3/04/2023 4:03 pm  #39

Tony84 wrote:

I appreciate your optimism, City, regarding a 3rd meeting, but honestly, what are you seeing that suggests we can handle them in a 3rd try on a neutral court?  Heck, right now I am worried w'll be one and done after this beatdown.

The first 37 minutes of the first matchup and the first 13 of this one. Wish we didn’t crumble today, but I really have a hard time blaming them this time. We have been ridiculously resilient all year in these situations, but a 7 point possession and a 14 to 2 free throw discrepancy was the straw that broke the camels back. Emotions are amplified in meaningful games as well. Was just too much for us today. I would LOVE to see them again.

Last edited by CityDuke (3/04/2023 4:05 pm)

3/04/2023 4:06 pm  #40

Dayton or Fordham in 2nd game if we win game 1(big if), pick your poison.

3/04/2023 4:14 pm  #41

townsonkid wrote:

Dayton or Fordham in 2nd game if we win game 1(big if), pick your poison.

I know you said big if.   They will not win.  The high water mark of the season was already achieved with the victory tour over 20 wins.

3/04/2023 4:23 pm  #42

Time to look deep inside and see if there are any guts left.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/04/2023 4:38 pm  #43

I’m disappointed to see how bad the Dukes played against Fordham for the second time – especially when so much was on the line.  RJ along with others - flunked the test today.  Certainly, I hope they can stay alive in the tournament; however, I just don’t see it happening against the ‘hungry competition’ we’ll surely be facing.  In any event – Go Dukes!

On the other hand, you have to admit Fordham is a Cinderella team to say the least – and exciting to watch and hungry to win.    I’ll be rooting for them to go all the way, once Dukes are eliminated!

3/04/2023 4:50 pm  #44

Duquesne   could play Fordham 10 times and Fordham would win them all.Dayton could play Duquesne 10 times and Dayton would win them all.St.Louis could play Dukes 10 times and Billikens could win them all.
Why?Duquesne lacks talent especially at center,power forward.Jimmy Clark good,Grant occasionally good
and rest of team mediocre.

3/04/2023 4:55 pm  #45

Dukes light years away from being a top 5 team.The Dambrot experiment is over and bring Joyce in and maybe he can recruit better players

3/04/2023 4:57 pm  #46

stew wrote:

Duquesne   could play Fordham 10 times and Fordham would win them all.Dayton could play Duquesne 10 times and Dayton would win them all.St.Louis could play Dukes 10 times and Billikens could win them all.
Why?Duquesne lacks talent especially at center,power forward.Jimmy Clark good,Grant occasionally good
and rest of team mediocre.

Classic emotional overreaction after a loss. I expect to see several more of these posts.

3/04/2023 4:58 pm  #47

stew wrote:

Dukes light years away from being a top 5 team.The Dambrot experiment is over and bring Joyce in and maybe he can recruit better players

This was a nice cherry on top to your last post. Light years…we were one win away haha.

3/04/2023 4:58 pm  #48

I went to gym today instead of watching game because forham is a good team and Duquesne is not.

3/04/2023 5:00 pm  #49

phil95 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

That push lead not only to a technical, but a  fast 7 pts. for Fordham, and even worse, it both, took the Dukes out of their game and also, fired up the Fordham players, the fans, and their coaches at the same time. Our coaches, on the other hand did little to calm down the team, and no real adjustments to the game plan that would work in the second half. In fact the Dukes really came apart in the second half. Before that technical, we out rebound them and were out scoring them. From that moment on, little if nothing worked?

3/04/2023 5:08 pm  #50

gjgsr wrote:

On the other hand, you have to admit Fordham is a Cinderella team to say the least – and exciting to watch and hungry to win.    I’ll be rooting for them to go all the way, once Dukes are eliminated!

With all due respect, I don’t have to admit anything of this.  In fact, watching another A10 bottom feeder (see St. Bonaventure) become relevant and kick our asses yet again makes me want to root against them.  Not for them. I know that I have been just thrilled at SBU successes when they overtake us with fans at home.   I’m looking forward to Fordham doing the same thing.

Yet another program with fewer resources than Duquesne surpassing Duquesne.   You will really be thrilled when LaSalle stays at Gola and still surpasses Duquesne.  That will be a proud moment for Duquesne. 

Duquesne and LaSalle remain the A10 bottom feeders.   Rooting that Fordham leaves the pack is not wise. 

Yet another president and athletic director that can’t get it done.  Yes, I’m piling on.   I decided to do it now and get it over with.   I have something to do Wednesday night when they lose and probably can not log in to pile on then.

Board footera