Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2023 9:47 pm  #76

Re: Game Thread - Fordham University Rams (A)

City Duke all I had to do is read your number 1 comment to know how incompetent you are regarding the rules of basketball. Once you come to a jump stop you are not permitted to pivot, if you do it’s a travel. Therefore I now know what kind of a person I am disagreeing with on this board.

3/04/2023 9:58 pm  #77

Wildwood13 wrote:

City Duke all I had to do is read your number 1 comment to know how incompetent you are regarding the rules of basketball. Once you come to a jump stop you are not permitted to pivot, if you do it’s a travel. Therefore I now know what kind of a person I am disagreeing with on this board.

Wildwood, you absolutely can pivot after a jumpstop.  You just have to jump off of two feet after when going up.  You would fit right in with the A10 refs haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSoeiIZsmK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wESpwbKyUvI (1:40)

Last edited by CityDuke (3/04/2023 10:08 pm)

3/04/2023 10:11 pm  #78

If he was dribbling and came to a jump stomp he can not pivot or it’s traveling. If he is receiving a pass and lands with both feet, that is not considered a jump stop. Next time you run into a college referee please ask him.

3/04/2023 10:20 pm  #79

Wildwood13 wrote:

If he was dribbling and came to a jump stomp he can not pivot or it’s traveling. If he is receiving a pass and lands with both feet, that is not considered a jump stop. Next time you run into a college referee please ask him.

Wildwood, I included links for you above. Scroll to the 1:40 mark of the second link. Illustrates this perfectly. Hope this helps!

Last edited by CityDuke (3/04/2023 10:21 pm)

3/04/2023 10:23 pm  #80

CityDuke wrote:

Fordham still doesn't scare me in the slightest.

The last time we beat Fordham was January 27th 2021. We have since lost to them 4 times in a row. If I didn’t already live in Oregon I would say I want what your smokin.

3/04/2023 10:30 pm  #81

CityDuke wrote:

Ridiculous shooting? Explain that.

I don’t know, Joe Reece making two 3’s in a 9 minute stretch in the first half accounting for literally 25% of our scoring at that point?

3/04/2023 10:40 pm  #82

I have been going to referee clinics on an average of three a year and attend 7 seven rule interpretations meetings yearly for the past 30 years. This comes up all the time. Did Dambrot get upset with the call at the time ? If not it’s because he understands the rule.  I know you have stated you would like to see Dambrot get more demonstrative on some calls, maybe he is not because he knows the rules better than you. Forget the info off the internet.

3/05/2023 6:39 am  #83

We all seem to overlook certain truths about this team and expect different results. I’ve said it before in another thread and I’ll state it again Dambrot will not compete with the true elite teams until he changes and I don’t see that happening. 
We were soft all year being beaten on the boards continuously. We were 14th in the league for giving up offensive rebounds. Dae Dae averaged 4.7 rebounds a game similar to our “bigs.”
We relied far too much on 3 point scoring. No one points to the 14% showing yesterday as evidence of this. 40% of our shots are 3’s. 
We get to the foul line less than anyone else in the league because other than Clark we don’t have a finisher. 
our best 3pt shooter had 4 attempts yesterday because we do NOTHING in our offense to get him open looks. 
We brought in a 5’8” guard who was supposed to be an assist machine who averaged 3.4 for the season and was a defensive liability.
City Duke one last thought for you, you said Dixon was a 5 who needed to “learn,” how to play the 4?????
Dixon is a 4 who Dambrot forced to learn how to play the 5!!!!!! Further more how can anyone explain a player of his talent playing 282 minutes total for the YEAR. 
This coach would rather play experience than talent. 

3/05/2023 11:11 am  #84

Going to say it again...everyone on this board is entitled to her/his opinion.  After a "number" of rebuttals it's not going anywhere.  Also, human nature is if one keeps calling out those who get on people's nerves, and we know right now who is getting on our nerves, and who can't look objectively, he/she will just keep blabbering...which he/she is permitted.  So try to move ahead.  I know, it's not easy!

I  "hope" we win the next game, and we know nothing is guaranteed and for Duquesne, A-10 tournaments are not often successful for them.  That is factual.  Go Dukes

3/05/2023 11:43 am  #85

A big reason for the Dukes sputtering down the stretch has been their mostly poor to abysmal defensive play since the Saint Louis game. I was hopeful that the defense that helped string together 4 wins in February would carry the Dukes into the tourney. I was wrong.

Even before the technical / 7 point play, Fordham was on pace to score 72 points. Fordham was 18-1 in games they scored 70 or more points; 6-6 when scoring under 70.  It was critical to shut them down offensively; became impossible after the technical and Fordham getting on a roll.

I hope the defense bounces back against URI/La Salle or the once promising season will be over.

3/05/2023 11:47 am  #86

All things considered, good draw for the Dukes in the bracket.  Hope we can earn a third bite at the Fordham apple. Defense definitely needs to tighten back up. I want to see more of what I saw against the Bonnies. That same energy, focus, and pride in defending. Our offense feeds off of defensive stops.

Last edited by CityDuke (3/05/2023 11:53 am)

3/05/2023 12:10 pm  #87

Overall this team has played some good basketball this year.  They have the ability to beat Fordham in their first game in the A10 tourney and cause some damage if they play their best basketball.  All teams are going to have some highs and lows but overall they have put together a respectable season.  My hats off to the players and coaches for giving us that.  Wishing them strong play and a strong team performance in this tournament.

3/05/2023 12:17 pm  #88

Again a lot of posters make good points and as someone said everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am in agreement with CLK's perspective after last season's debacle.  So let me ask others on this Board, who would be dissatisfied if at the start of the season we knew we would 20 games going into the tourney?  For me I was hopeful maybe, and I mean maybe, we get 18 wins.  If we can get by the LaSalle/RI winner the Fordham rematch would tell us a lot about where we are and what we need going forward.  I mentioned and others have concurred that we need some decent big men next year.  Let me say again, Williams starting at the 5 next year would be a bad omen - he would be ok coming off the bench though. 

3/05/2023 12:18 pm  #89

Wildwood enough arguing.  You guys sound like my 3 kids.  You are grown adults.

3/05/2023 12:38 pm  #90

Pistol - nice question.  You are correct.  I don't know of anyone who at the beginning of the season, would have been upset over 20 wins going into the season.  Well, human nature is we would like to get to the NIT or NCAA...but again, excellent point.

3/05/2023 1:13 pm  #91

Pistol you and CLK are absolutely correct in your assumption that it would have been a no brainer to sign on for this outcome based on last year’s disastrous season. What you can’t deny is the frustration of knowing it could and should have been better. Believe me I only speak from the frustration of knowing my time of seeing a tourney appearance is on the clock so to speak. It’s also the frustration of seeing what I believe is an obstinacy by Dambrot to necessary change. 

3/05/2023 2:07 pm  #92

The Dome wrote:

Pistol you and CLK are absolutely correct in your assumption that it would have been a no brainer to sign on for this outcome based on last year’s disastrous season. What you can’t deny is the frustration of knowing it could and should have been better. Believe me I only speak from the frustration of knowing my time of seeing a tourney appearance is on the clock so to speak. It’s also the frustration of seeing what I believe is an obstinacy by Dambrot to necessary change. 

I for one didn't expect this team to show up this season, but as good as they can play, makes you wonder when they loose to a lesser opponent at times?  40 plus year of not getting there makes a lot of us long time fans pretty short on patience with a team and a coaching staff that at this moment, can win it all, if only they both bring their best game , the next 4 games. I what them to win. I expect them to win. They have the players, and at times, they have been coached well, but, for God's sake, let's get 4 good games in a row. Now.     

3/05/2023 2:11 pm  #93

I believe we are outmatched with St. Lous and Fordham.  Let's do something different...surprise them...how about a ZONE for some the game.  The man to man didn't work well against these guys.  Just saying...I know, they are bigger than us and will just keep going inside.  But look at how well Fordham shot from 3...that's it...just try something different.

3/05/2023 3:08 pm  #94

The Dome wrote:

It is not over my friend.  I still think despite yesterday's debacle this team has plenty of fight left in them and are capable of making a run.  Anyone says that they are not surprised at the success of this season needs to go back and read their preseason comments.  One person called me an armature internet annalist when I said that this could be the best team Dambrot has had on the Bluff.  Now they are Complaining that the team didn't win every game.  Too funny.  No matter how this turns out I believe there is serious reason for optimism if we can keep our core players.  You and Pistol did a good job of outlining our weaknesses and needs to be in the thick of it next year.  KD and staff need to get it done and keep the forward momentum.

3/05/2023 4:05 pm  #95

CLK wrote:

The Dome wrote:

It is not over my friend.  I still think despite yesterday's debacle this team has plenty of fight left in them and are capable of making a run.  Anyone says that they are not surprised at the success of this season needs to go back and read their preseason comments.  One person called me an armature internet annalist when I said that this could be the best team Dambrot has had on the Bluff.  Now they are Complaining that the team didn't win every game.  Too funny.  No matter how this turns out I believe there is serious reason for optimism if we can keep our core players.  You and Pistol did a good job of outlining our weaknesses and needs to be in the thick of it next year.  KD and staff need to get it done and keep the forward momentum.

Yesterday, the wheels fell off. It happens when a team stop playing as a team. It can be a good thing only if they look at what happens when the team stops functioning as a team. Then going forward in tourney play, doesn't breakdown. We just need a 4 game winning streak from a team that at their best, can beat anyone.If you're a fan, that's what you see. If you are on this blog and don't see that right now, well, your not a fan. This is no time to predict the doom of the Dukes. They earned our support, right now, through this long season.Go Dukes.

3/05/2023 4:18 pm  #96

CLK wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Forget the comparison of last season vs. this season & this season still stands out as a series of steps in the right direction. I am not sure how anybody could challenge that conclusion. 

I don't think that I was the poster that called your preseason commentary amateur analysis but I do remember thinking you may have had a head injury when you made that bold, yet prescient pronouncement.  Well done by you!

I wish I shared your optimism about the Dukes ability to make a run in the tournament. Intellectually, I know that it is well within the realm of what is possible given the players available. Runs like this happen every season during championship week. Our guys can get crazy hot & they are fighters. Why not these Dukes?

In the end , I just can't get past the fact that this coaching staff hasn't given me any hints that they have transformed the component parts of this team into a unit that can remain on task & hyper-energized for 3-4 games, against strong, varied competition, at a neutral site. When added to KD's not-so-stellar DU record for strategic preparation & in-game adjustments, the task of winning 3 games in 4 days or running the table in 5 days becomes nearly impossible for me to imagine.  Being wrong about this would give me great pleasure.

This is a great contrast to Ajax's senior season when I made the unusual move of heading to AC by myself because I had a great feeling about that player, his teammates, & the coaching staff. I didn't know they would but I just knew they could beat 2 teams in Dayton & URI that would likely be the class of this year's A-10 on successive nights. Nothing about this year's group gives me the same feeling.

3/05/2023 4:37 pm  #97

phil95 wrote:

CLK wrote:

The Dome wrote:

Forget the comparison of last season vs. this season & this season still stands out as a series of steps in the right direction. I am not sure how anybody could challenge that conclusion. 

I don't think that I was the poster that called your preseason commentary amateur analysis but I do remember thinking you may have had a head injury when you made that bold, yet prescient pronouncement.  Well done by you!

I wish I shared your optimism about the Dukes ability to make a run in the tournament. Intellectually, I know that it is well within the realm of what is possible given the players available. Runs like this happen every season during championship week. Our guys can get crazy hot & they are fighters. Why not these Dukes?

In the end , I just can't get past the fact that this coaching staff hasn't given me any hints that they have transformed the component parts of this team into a unit that can remain on task & hyper-energized for 3-4 games, against strong, varied competition, at a neutral site. When added to KD's not-so-stellar DU record for strategic preparation & in-game adjustments, the task of winning 3 games in 4 days or running the table in 5 days becomes nearly impossible for me to imagine.  Being wrong about this would give me great pleasure.

This is a great contrast to Ajax's senior season when I made the unusual move of heading to AC by myself because I had a great feeling about that player, his teammates, & the coaching staff. I didn't know they would but I just knew they could beat 2 teams in Dayton & URI that would likely be the class of this year's A-10 on successive nights. Nothing about this year's group gives me the same feeling.

Fair analysis, but root for this Dukes team that can show up and play when things are all going their way as a team. This year is not a long shot when they play as a team in a fast pace style of play. They never lose those games.  It's that close. Just a 4 game winning streak.

3/05/2023 5:17 pm  #98

Dome, I'm on the clock as well. 72 in 2 weeks. I had a post about 2 months ago with some thoughts. I mentioned the occasional zone as we all have at one time or another. I also brought up the lack of screens or even double screens for Grant and Clarke. They both spend a heck of a lot energy trying to get an open look that by end game time, they are gassed. We also can't seem to execute the pick and roll very well. Rotroff seems to be the most adept at it but that doesn't translate into a bounty of points. Concentrate on those three fundamentals. Work on them over and over. IMHO.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/05/2023 10:09 pm  #99

Honestly... we’ve had two good, winning coaches in 50 years and you people have the stupidity to want to drive this one away after being the only one of two to win 20 here at Duquesne.   Do you think KD got these kids from the chemistry classes?  He recruited these kids and they are doing far better than any other team in the last half century. 

No fan base?  Were you there last Sunday?

Get a job coaching somewhere if you know so much.

Coaches were not lining up to work here when we fire RE.   Get rid of KD and we get another Ferry and not 20 win season or a team playing for a double bye on the last day of the season.

KD knows what he’s doing.  He worked the transfer portal well and when the team is buying in, they have a chance.  Duquesne ain’t Duke or even Pitt.  Takes more to try to win here and KD is coming closer than any since the 1970’s.

Last edited by coffee (3/05/2023 10:31 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/05/2023 11:21 pm  #100

coffee wrote:

Honestly... we’ve had two good, winning coaches in 50 years and you people have the stupidity to want to drive this one away after being the only one of two to win 20 here at Duquesne.   Do you think KD got these kids from the chemistry classes?  He recruited these kids and they are doing far better than any other team in the last half century. 

No fan base?  Were you there last Sunday?

Get a job coaching somewhere if you know so much.

Coaches were not lining up to work here when we fire RE.   Get rid of KD and we get another Ferry and not 20 win season or a team playing for a double bye on the last day of the season.

KD knows what he’s doing.  He worked the transfer portal well and when the team is buying in, they have a chance.  Duquesne ain’t Duke or even Pitt.  Takes more to try to win here and KD is coming closer than any since the 1970’s.

I am not questioning or attacking your opinion. I am curious to know how many seasons you think KD should continue to coach at DU without an NIT or NCAA bid before being fired. Is it 7, 8, 9....?

I saw good reason to part ways at the end of last season. I now think KD has earned his 7th year but no more without at least an NIT bid.

Board footera