Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2023 9:24 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - La Salle University Explorers (A10 Tournament)

Gunn - wasted minutes
Foul shots - poor
If you lose, you don't belong there.  Poor defense again - drove up the middle all night and we couldn't do anything.  Bye Bye.

Another year - No NCAA - No NIT

3/08/2023 9:26 pm  #27

Our 4 men have been abysmal.

3/08/2023 9:29 pm  #28

FAM wrote:

Gunn - wasted minutes
Foul shots - poor
If you lose, you don't belong there.  Poor defense again - drove up the middle all night and we couldn't do anything.  Bye Bye.

Another year - No NCAA - No NIT

But another year of this clown of a coach. Have some balls Harper and hire someone who can actually coach.

3/08/2023 9:31 pm  #29

This performance pretty much sums up the Dambrot era. A lot of talent, but no post season bids. PATHETIC at best.

3/08/2023 9:33 pm  #30

It’s funny to me that people are upset about this result or act like it’s unexpected.   Literally, how could you not know we would be one and out?

So I guess Dambrot retires and the brilliant AD just hands the keys over to Dru Joyce.   

This school is an absolute joke.   From the President to AD to the coaches.  A pathetic joke.

Last edited by DuqBlue (3/09/2023 1:43 pm)

3/08/2023 9:35 pm  #31

CityDuke wrote:

Wait.  I thought we were going to go at least to the A10 finals from everything I read from you.

3/08/2023 9:36 pm  #32

WTF is with KD & Gunn. The player has been nothing short of awful in all phases of the game tonight. Why is he playing?

3/08/2023 9:39 pm  #33

Fran Dumphrey  Vs Dambrot no surprise. Wait till Frank Martin & Archie Miller settle in. Urgo without any financial support at Fordham wins. St Joes coach great job. Not good for the future.at the bluff.Handed the Keyes to the Cadillac & Dambrot Craps!  the bed. Groundhogs day at the bluff as a long suffering Duquesne fan. Losing program in perpetuity.The financial support is at Duquesne,  coach not. No excuse losing to Lasalle.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (3/08/2023 9:41 pm)

3/08/2023 9:40 pm  #34

DuqBlue wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Wait.  I thought we were going to go at least to the A10 finals from everything I read from you.

Weird time to take a dig. Almost like you are happy we are losing.

3/08/2023 9:42 pm  #35

Thanks for nothing Dambrot. Same year, same Dukes. Done with this program. Never spending another dime going to a game or on merchandise. They’d be better off in the NEC. Duquesne is not an A10 quality program, never was, and never will be. 

3/08/2023 9:44 pm  #36

CityDuke wrote:

DuqBlue wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Weird time to take a dig. Almost like you are happy we are losing.

Not happy.  Not sad.  It was expected.   Like I know that twice a day it will be 10:00.   It does not make be happy or sad, I just expect it.   

You were the one taking digs at plenty of other people.

3/08/2023 9:46 pm  #37

Ironduke81 wrote:

Fran Dumphrey  Vs Dambrot no surprise. Wait till Frank Martin & Archie Miller settle in. Urgo without any financial support at Fordham wins. St Joes coach great job. Not good for the future.at the bluff.Handed the Keyes to the Cadillac & Dambrot Craps!  the bed. Groundhogs day at the bluff as a long suffering Duquesne fan. Losing program in perpetuity.The financial support is at Duquesne,  coach not. No excuse losing to Lasalle.

Well perhaps look at the people that handed him the keys.    You defend Gormley and Harper endlessly.   It’s their program.

3/08/2023 9:46 pm  #38

See if Boeheim is really retired.  Gotta move on if they want to move forward.  Or are the suits at DU happy with this?   They might be happy.

3/08/2023 9:54 pm  #39

Dambrot crapped the bed as usual. Time for a change. This game was a total embarrassment to the program. We all knew they'd lose this one. Same old same old.  This performance was the nail in the coffin for this coach. No more excuses. Goodbye and glad you got your 500 win and the Lebron accolades, but time to hit the road already. Going nowhere with this dinosaur. All so sickening to lose another Philly team in the first round like always. Man this team had no heart in the end. Abysmal to say the least.

3/08/2023 9:55 pm  #40

What a shame.  Too many poor individual performances tonight.  Negative impact from our 4-men.  Gunn and Williams were horrendous.  Dambrot cut them out completely the last 10 minutes of the game, but almost wish he did it sooner.  I respect his loyalty to guys that have earned it, but man were they bad.  The moment seemed too big for McGriff tonight.  And with Grant in foul trouble, we needed at least something from him and got nothing. No one on the team has been in this tourney before and it showed.  We lost to a worse team and that hurts.

They beat us with 1on1 park ball.  Brantley and Brickus iso'd and we couldn't contain them tonight.  We could not get a stop in the second half.  The few times we played solid defensive possessions, we either gave up an offensive rebound or the refs (Leslie Jones in particular) bailed out jump shooters and sent them to the line.  Nothing Dambrot can do about players losing individual matchups and missing free throws.  I am 100% certain this staff will plug the holes that showed themselves at the end of the season.  If we can keep the core, I am very excited about next year.  Disappointing end but all in all a great season in the right direction and something to build upon.

Last edited by CityDuke (3/08/2023 9:56 pm)

3/08/2023 9:59 pm  #41

Q:   If i told you grant, clark, dixon and barre come back and so does the coach, or, they all leave, coach retires or is let go, and Harper gets off his ass and searches for a coach, we start from scratch again, which one do you want?

3/08/2023 10:01 pm  #42

I would also add, I loved the switch to Clark at the point at the end. I wish that came sooner as well.  He is more of a threat when penetrating and it allows Brewer to spot up.  Clark is an absolute winner, and I am so happy he is a Duke.  He is someone you can build a team around, and another offseason and summer workouts will polish him into an even better player.  Grant as well.  He is a natural scorer, who I think will be even more deadly if we can develop a more consistent inside game.  We need another solid recruiting class and added to this core, we will be right there.

3/08/2023 10:01 pm  #43

KD played his half court in the second half. No transition. Just what ever his set plays are, that don't work even against a very tired A-10 bottom team? The very last thing I would have expected from any coach in this position. One and out to a bottom exhausted team.

3/08/2023 10:03 pm  #44

Can't say I wasn't expecting this outcome.

3/08/2023 10:05 pm  #45

CityDuke wrote:

all in all a great season in the right direction and something to build upon.

Some programs define great seasons with final four appearances.
Some programs define great seasons with sweet 16 appearances.
Sone programs define great seasons with an NCAA tourney appearance.
Some programs define great seasons with contending for a conference title. 

We define great seasons as a sixth place finish, getting a bye from the bottom feeders round of the conference tournament and then getting our asses handed to us in the first game we play.

Congratulations gents on a great season.

3/08/2023 10:07 pm  #46

Once again, too much undisciplined basketball, too many stupid unforced turnovers and sloppy passes in the paint!

Going 2 - 10 a the free throw line didn't help!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/08/2023 10:07 pm  #47

WashPaRick wrote:

Can't say I wasn't expecting this outcome.

I appreciate the honesty.  Everyone except one person was expecting this outcome.

3/08/2023 10:07 pm  #48

CityDuke wrote:

What a shame.  Too many poor individual performances tonight.  Negative impact from our 4-men.  Gunn and Williams were horrendous.  Dambrot cut them out completely the last 10 minutes of the game, but almost wish he did it sooner.  I respect his loyalty to guys that have earned it, but man were they bad.  The moment seemed too big for McGriff tonight.  And with Grant in foul trouble, we needed at least something from him and got nothing. No one on the team has been in this tourney before and it showed.  We lost to a worse team and that hurts.

They beat us with 1on1 park ball.  Brantley and Brickus iso'd and we couldn't contain them tonight.  We could not get a stop in the second half.  The few times we played solid defensive possessions, we either gave up an offensive rebound or the refs (Leslie Jones in particular) bailed out jump shooters and sent them to the line.  Nothing Dambrot can do about players losing individual matchups and missing free throws.  I am 100% certain this staff will plug the holes that showed themselves at the end of the season.  If we can keep the core, I am very excited about next year.  Disappointing end but all in all a great season in the right direction and something to build upon.

If Williams comes back, either he learns to finish in the paint, or don't play him. No matter if all these players come back, unless we have some real presence in the paint, we will get nowhere, this coach or a new coach, nowhere.

3/08/2023 10:11 pm  #49

CityDuke wrote:

It's pretty obvious the guy can't coach at this level and has pretty much more than shown he doesn't know how to  put the right combinations on the court at given times. Constantly pulled guys who had a hot hand or kept guys in way too long who weren't performing. It was hard to watch. Not sure sure this guy can get a team with 13 McDonald All Americans into the tourney let alone win a game in one. Made his millions off of Lebron and his coattails of a team at Akron which had loads of talent, but maybe one NIT win and a 40 plus point NCAA loss. You got to get over this guy if you want  this program to go forward.

3/08/2023 10:19 pm  #50

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

It's pretty obvious the guy can't coach at this level and has pretty much more than shown he doesn't know how to  put the right combinations on the court at given times. Constantly pulled guys who had a hot hand or kept guys in way too long who weren't performing. It was hard to watch. Not sure sure this guy can get a team with 13 McDonald All Americans into the tourney let alone win a game in one. Made his millions off of Lebron and his coattails of a team at Akron which had loads of talent, but maybe one NIT win and a 40 plus point NCAA loss. You got to get over this guy if you want  this program to go forward.

I shouldn’t take this bait but I will. 3 ncaa tournaments. 7 straight mac finals. 9 in 10 years. Coattails of a talented akron team? Didn’t realize players had 10 years of eligibility back then haha. I love this team’s foundation. Their inconsistency left us banging our heads against the wall this season, but a team with 10 new players will do that to you. 340th in continuity. Stay the course. This is a very likable bunch and very fun to watch at times this season just never quite put it all together. Desperately needed a more reliable inside game. I’m sure that is the staff’s number one priority.

Last edited by CityDuke (3/08/2023 10:20 pm)

Board footera