Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2023 10:24 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - La Salle University Explorers (A10 Tournament)

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

What a shame.  Too many poor individual performances tonight.  Negative impact from our 4-men.  Gunn and Williams were horrendous.  Dambrot cut them out completely the last 10 minutes of the game, but almost wish he did it sooner.  I respect his loyalty to guys that have earned it, but man were they bad.  The moment seemed too big for McGriff tonight.  And with Grant in foul trouble, we needed at least something from him and got nothing. No one on the team has been in this tourney before and it showed.  We lost to a worse team and that hurts.

They beat us with 1on1 park ball.  Brantley and Brickus iso'd and we couldn't contain them tonight.  We could not get a stop in the second half.  The few times we played solid defensive possessions, we either gave up an offensive rebound or the refs (Leslie Jones in particular) bailed out jump shooters and sent them to the line.  Nothing Dambrot can do about players losing individual matchups and missing free throws.  I am 100% certain this staff will plug the holes that showed themselves at the end of the season.  If we can keep the core, I am very excited about next year.  Disappointing end but all in all a great season in the right direction and something to build upon.

It's pretty obvious the guy can't coach at this level and has pretty much more than shown he doesn't know how to  put the right combinations on the court at given times. Constantly pulled guys who had a hot hand or kept guys in way too long who weren't performing. It was hard to watch. Not sure sure this guy can get a team with 13 McDonald All Americans into the tourney let alone win a game in one. Made his millions off of Lebron and his coattails of a team at Akron which had loads of talent, but maybe one NIT win and a 40 plus point NCAA loss. You got to get over this guy if you want  this program to go forward.

I shouldn’t take this bait but I will. 3 ncaa tournaments. 7 straight mac finals. 9 in 10 years. Coattails of a talented akron team? Didn’t realize players had 10 years of eligibility back then haha. I love this team’s foundation. Their inconsistency left us banging our heads against the wall this season, but a team with 10 new players will do that to you. 340th in continuity. Stay the course. This is a very likable bunch and very fun to watch at times this season just never quite put it all together. Desperately needed a more reliable inside game. I’m sure that is the staff’s number one priority.

They had ten new players because he absolutely stopped working the season before.   He created the continuity problem.   Didn’t inherit it.

3/08/2023 10:27 pm  #52

CityDuke wrote:

[. Stay the course. This is a very likable bunch and very fun to watch at times this season just never quite put it all together. Desperately needed a more reliable inside game. I’m sure that is the staff’s number one priority.

Yeah until everybody transfers out, like always!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/08/2023 10:31 pm  #53

Marcus and Hughes were far more consistent than our starting big men this year.  That needs to be a point of emphasis in our recruiting.  Dixon is really good.  But why is he always sitting on the bench when Reece and Gunn are having a bad game?  Hopefully, Dixon returns and Barre gets cleared to play next year.  But, we still need to get additional 4s and 5s that can impact the flow of the game.   That, and quit playing slow.  We aren't good when we walk the ball up the court, stand around fairly motionless, pass the ball around the perimeter only to put up a 3, which,  statistically, only has a 1 in 3ish chance of going in.  Live by the 3 and die by the 3.  Late in these games, the team play breaks down and individuals start driving to the hoop, desperately trying to win the game by themselves.  No one else moves to the basket to create opportunities for a pass and easy basket.  Again, get some mobile big men with good hands, and don't waste them taking shots 30 feet from the hoop.

3/08/2023 10:37 pm  #54

I know I get singled out a lot on this board, and I get it. My perspective differs than most, and I can be a bit aggressive with my responses at times. We are all entitled to our opinions, but the overall “I told you so” mindset that I see so often on here irks me. So many posters are so ready to jump right on their keyboards after losses while the discussion after wins can so often fit on a page or two. So many posts that downplay the achievements and emphasize the failures. Winning here is clearly not easy or this wouldn’t have been just our third 20 win season in 40+ years.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

3/08/2023 10:39 pm  #55

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

What a shame.  Too many poor individual performances tonight.  Negative impact from our 4-men.  Gunn and Williams were horrendous.  Dambrot cut them out completely the last 10 minutes of the game, but almost wish he did it sooner.  I respect his loyalty to guys that have earned it, but man were they bad.  The moment seemed too big for McGriff tonight.  And with Grant in foul trouble, we needed at least something from him and got nothing. No one on the team has been in this tourney before and it showed.  We lost to a worse team and that hurts.

They beat us with 1on1 park ball.  Brantley and Brickus iso'd and we couldn't contain them tonight.  We could not get a stop in the second half.  The few times we played solid defensive possessions, we either gave up an offensive rebound or the refs (Leslie Jones in particular) bailed out jump shooters and sent them to the line.  Nothing Dambrot can do about players losing individual matchups and missing free throws.  I am 100% certain this staff will plug the holes that showed themselves at the end of the season.  If we can keep the core, I am very excited about next year.  Disappointing end but all in all a great season in the right direction and something to build upon.

If Williams comes back, either he learns to finish in the paint, or don't play him. No matter if all these players come back, unless we have some real presence in the paint, we will get nowhere, this coach or a new coach, nowhere.

He didn't take a shot in tonight's game. For me, that's more indicative of a much greater series of problems. I don't recall his even having a great opportunity to take a shot.

It is also worth noting that Tre is a 50% shooter for his career & raised his shooting percentage from last year to this from 45% to 49.4% on 92 less total shots. That is a serious improvement. He shot 54.7% as a freshman & 53.2% as a sophomore on nearly the same volume of shots he had this season.

What I think the team most needs from Tre is a vast improvement of his crap FT shooting percentage. Since his freshman year he has improved from 42.2% to 56.6%. If he could make that 65% for his final season, his value to the team would be much greater.

3/08/2023 10:52 pm  #56

CityDuke wrote:

I know I get singled out a lot on this board, and I get it. My perspective differs than most, and I can be a bit aggressive with my responses at times. We are all entitled to our opinions, but the overall “I told you so” mindset that I see so often on here irks me. So many posters are so ready to jump right on their keyboards after losses while the discussion after wins can so often fit on a page or two. So many posts that downplay the achievements and emphasize the failures. Winning here is clearly not easy or this wouldn’t have been just our third 20 win season in 40+ years.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

God bless you for being optimistic.   I can only speak for myself.   It is hard to get excited when you know what the outcome will be.    This was nothing like RE’s year that had the devastating loss at SBU.   That year had legitimate excitement.   

Beating a bunch of middling non conference opponents and finishing 10-8 In conference is not a great season.   There was nothing really ever to be truly excited for.   One decent win. Surprising VCU.

This small and still every shrinking fan base is not going to get excited for better than the average crap.   I don’t think I would saying boo to you but you have constantly described this season as over achieving and great.   It’s been mediocre at best. 

And most of us see that.

3/08/2023 11:00 pm  #57

phil95 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

If Williams comes back, either he learns to finish in the paint, or don't play him. No matter if all these players come back, unless we have some real presence in the paint, we will get nowhere, this coach or a new coach, nowhere.

He didn't take a shot in tonight's game. For me, that's more indicative of a much greater series of problems. I don't recall his even having a great opportunity to take a shot.

It is also worth noting that Tre is a 50% shooter for his career & raised his shooting percentage from last year to this from 45% to 49.4% on 92 less total shots. That is a serious improvement. He shot 54.7% as a freshman & 53.2% as a sophomore on nearly the same volume of shots he had this season.

What I think the team most needs from Tre is a vast improvement of his crap FT shooting percentage. Since his freshman year he has improved from 42.2% to 56.6%. If he could make that 65% for his final season, his value to the team would be much greater.

Great point. All the sudden the Dukes stop feeding Williams and instead launch threes to no end. 4-16 in the first half. Thought Reece or Williams were playing pretty well early, but Reece was pulled for Gunn who was abysmal much like he was much of the second half of the A-10 season. Played for the next 12 minutes. Dambrot is lost. Need a young fresh mind as coach. Too many talented young coaches out there who get today's young players and the X's and O's of todays game. Dambrot never had a clue when it came to the ebb and flow of a game. You could visibly see it in his player rotation. Even my wife would say "why is he taking him out, he's on fire'. I'd say "because he wants to let the other team back in the game". Enough with these old washed up coaches stealing money. Give me a young hungry guy.

3/08/2023 11:02 pm  #58

DuqBlue wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

God bless you for being optimistic. I can only speak for myself. It is hard to get excited when you know what the outcome will be. This was nothing like RE’s year that had the devastating loss at SBU. That year had legitimate excitement.

Beating a bunch of middling non conference opponents and finishing 10-8 In conference is not a great season. There was nothing really ever to be truly excited for. One decent win. Surprising VCU.

This small and still every shrinking fan base is not going to get excited for better than the average crap. I don’t think I would saying boo to you but you have constantly described this season as over achieving and great. It’s been mediocre at best.

And most of us see that.

Well said

3/08/2023 11:21 pm  #59

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

It's pretty obvious the guy can't coach at this level and has pretty much more than shown he doesn't know how to  put the right combinations on the court at given times. Constantly pulled guys who had a hot hand or kept guys in way too long who weren't performing. It was hard to watch. Not sure sure this guy can get a team with 13 McDonald All Americans into the tourney let alone win a game in one. Made his millions off of Lebron and his coattails of a team at Akron which had loads of talent, but maybe one NIT win and a 40 plus point NCAA loss. You got to get over this guy if you want  this program to go forward.

I shouldn’t take this bait but I will. 3 ncaa tournaments. 7 straight mac finals. 9 in 10 years. Coattails of a talented akron team? Didn’t realize players had 10 years of eligibility back then haha. I love this team’s foundation. Their inconsistency left us banging our heads against the wall this season, but a team with 10 new players will do that to you. 340th in continuity. Stay the course. This is a very likable bunch and very fun to watch at times this season just never quite put it all together. Desperately needed a more reliable inside game. I’m sure that is the staff’s number one priority.

Did it ever occur to you that  KD's having been fired in disgrace after going 20-34 from his first D-1 coaching job, not being hired again for 11 years, his 3-6 record in Mac final games, his never having won an NCAA tournament game, his a losing record in his NIT appearances, failure to advance past the 2nd round of that tournament, his never having been hired by a Power 5 school whilst doing all that winning at Akron, & inability to finish higher than 5th in the A-10 in 6 tries might indicate that he is not a big time coach?

This coach truly earned a ton of accolades that went with his impressive winning percentage at  Akron. He has 416 wins as a D-1 coach. There is no denying that he had a hell of a run at Akron. 

There is also no denying that his inability to make any notable runs in the national postseason tournaments, his most likely being at the end of his career trajectory, the fact that he has accomplished nothing of note at his D-1 coaching posts both before & after Akron make a pretty good case for the idea that KD was promoted beyond his competency.

It is absolute nonsense for you or KD to point to DU's poor continuity ranking. As I demonstrated, ad nauseum, this coach has lost an average of 7.9 scholarship players per year since he arrived and has never, while at DU, had less than 6 scholarship players leave in an offseason. This began the season he arrived & has not let up. The continuity issue is his & his alone to explain. 

Posters here don't take shots at you because you have a different opinion. They do so because you pretend that all this coach has touched has turned to gold & because you resort to obnoxious zingers when more knowledgeable posters call BS on your fantastical posts & constant (including tonight) blaming poor DU outcomes on the referees.

As I have stated previously, I think KD has earned year 7, I hope the the core of players returns & is improved by a new set of teammates; & I have no belief that KD is the coach to take this program to the upper echelon of the league while earning regular NIT & NCAA bids.

3/08/2023 11:29 pm  #60

The season ends tonight for Duquesne.Heard Ray mention something about a possibility of another game.
Please no thank you to another game.This season ended up badly and we have all had enough dissappointment .Very unhappy with tonight and the teams performance,,seems like a few players not mentally prepared to play and Lasalle played harder .

3/09/2023 12:07 am  #61

As a 50 year long Duquesne fan i'm pissed off to say the least. Went to the 3 day tournament as an 11 year old at the Spectrum in Philly in 1976 when Norm Nixon, Gumby, Moore, Cotten, Thomas, Masur and all those guys bought home the trophy in the innaugral Eastern Eight. Skipped school for two days to witness that. The best Duquesne basketball experience i ever had. High fiving the players out on the floor after the 57-54 win over Villanova. Went to Atlantic City in the 2009 year where they lost to Temple in the finals. Saw them beat URI and Dayton to get there. Great time. Feel sorry for Ray Goss and all of us long time fans. We deserved much better than what this athletic department has delivered us over all these years. These last years have been the worst because we were delivered some real false hopes. Not that I didn't see it coming.

3/09/2023 12:27 am  #62

Wow. I know I pointed out that Duquesne always loses in the A10 tourney, but I really thought they could win this game. But the 3s weren't falling, that was apparent early on and this team just isn't very good if it's not hitting from outside. Grant scored 13 of the first 17 points then went 0 for the rest of the game. 5 points from our supposedly deep bench? It was like playing 4-on-5 with Gunn or Williams on the court. And the ole' defense, which has been a problem most of the season, reared its ugly head once again. I mean, 54 points allowed in the second half, twice as many as in the first half? Which team was playing for the second day in a row? Didn't Dambrot teams used to pride themselves on their defense?

Yes, I like the nucleus coming back, but who knows how many will be back. Sure they won 20 games and that's a lot better than winning 6 games, but the end result was the same as it is almost every year: one and done in the conference tourney. And it's not like this was a rebuilding year with lots of underclassmen. This was a roster with three 6th-year seniors, one 5th-year senior and two 4th-year juniors. It was built to compete right now and for the most part, it did. But going 10-8 in a weak A10 and bowing out in the first conference tourney game for the umpteenth time doesn't really give me much of a sense of satisfaction. We saw flashes of brilliance this season of course but nothing that could ever be sustained.

Yes, Dambrot's earned another year but has he earned an extension? Does he want to continue to coach in a college basketball landscape that has changed so drastically? He'll be 65 before the start of next season and admitted he considered retiring after last season's debacle. As the late great Duq81 would always say, you can't let a coach come back with only one year left on his contract. You either extend him or let him go. So something's gotta give here pretty soon. If he stays, his ceiling appears to be a good MAC roster that can be competitive enough to finish middle of the pack, but won't ever have the athletes to beat the better (or some of the lesser) A10 teams when it counts. I expect a retirement announcement effective next March, while Dru Joyce waits in the wings. No inside sources, but the tea leaves tell me that succession plan's already in place. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (3/09/2023 1:06 am)

3/09/2023 12:38 am  #63

DennisC91 wrote:

Wow. I know I pointed out that Duquesne always loses in the A10 tourney, but I really thought they could win this game. But the 3s weren't falling, that was apparent early on and this team just isn't very good if it's not hitting from outside. Grant scored 13 of the first 17 points then went 0 for the rest of the game. 5 points from our supposedly deep bench? It was like playing 4-on-5 with Gunn or Williams on the court. And the ole' defense, which has been a problem most of the season, reared its ugly head once again. Didn't Dambrot teams used to pride themselves on their defense?

Yes, I like the nucleus coming back, but who knows how many will be back. Sure they won 20 games and that's a lot better than winning 6 games, but the end result was the same as it is almost every year: one and done in the conference tourney. And it's not like this was a rebuilding year with lots of underclassmen. This was a roster with three 6th-year seniors, one 5th-year senior and two 4th-year juniors. It was built to compete right now and for the most part, it did. But going 10-8 in a weak A10 and bowing out in the first conference tourney game for the umpteenth time doesn't really give me much of a sense of satisfaction. We saw flashes of brilliance this season of course but nothing that could ever be sustained.

Yes, Dambrot's earned another year but has he earned an extension? Does he want to continue to coach in a college basketball landscape that has changed so drastically? He'll be 65 before the start of next season and admitted he considered retiring after last season's debacle. As the late great Duq81 would always say, you can't let a coach come back with only one year left on his contract. You either extend him or let him go. So something's gotta give here pretty soon. If he stays, his ceiling appears to be a good MAC roster that can be competitive enough to finish middle of the pack, but won't ever have the athletes to beat the better (or some of the lesser) A10 teams when it counts. I expect a retirement announcement effective next March, while Dru Joyce waits in the wings. No inside sources, but the tea leaves tell me that succession plan's already in place. 

Lets hope he doesn't want to continue. Either way Clark, Dixon, and others will be entering the portal. Not going to die on the vine here and more reputable schools won't let them. Will be starting from scratch, but with hopefully a young innovative new coach and staff. Can only hope.

3/09/2023 8:01 am  #64

I don’t want to hear what tournaments or what he did at Akron.  This conference is too much for him.  He can’t be consistent and him playing Gunn that long was ridiculous…and I didn’t expect them to win.  He is in above his head…the proof…no post-tournament.  Don’t waste your money on the CBI Duquesne.

BTW City Duke, his MACC finals...since you like to point things out he did....

His record in those finals was 3 wins, 6 losses.  That's one of the reasons he left Akron.  He was upset that they were just a one bid league.  He lost so many finals he wanted the NCAA to give 2 bids to that conference since he lost so often and couldn't get to the NCAA for winning.  

3/09/2023 8:59 am  #65

DennisC91 wrote:

I expect a retirement announcement effective next March, while Dru Joyce waits in the wings. No inside sources, but the tea leaves tell me that succession plan's already in place. 

I suspect the same thing as well as some others.   Please explain how a coach with no success here gets a say in his replacement.  I know that you said you have no inside sources, but this would be absolute insanity.   And if you are going to retire next year, just leave now.   The man absolutely mailed in the 2021-2022 season.  

I have not read any stories with any post game quotes from anyone.  Who is he blaming for the loss?   

Last edited by DuqBlue (3/09/2023 10:22 am)

3/09/2023 9:12 am  #66

DennisC91 wrote:

First off, I want to congratulate Coach Dambrot on doing what I thought he had no chance to do. A year ago, I said I did not see a scenario where he redeems himself after a season with just 6 wins.  He deserves recognition for that and probably did earn another year if he wants it.  I think this would be a great time for him to retire and leave on a "high note", having returned the Dukes to respectability.  If he decides to stay, I'll be OK with it and hope he surprises me again.  But, after 6 years and 5 opportunites in the A-10 tourney, I think it's time to conclude he's a "middle of the pack" A-10 coach overall and I don't expect that to change, A million $ a year sounds like a lot of money to me, but apparently that's also middle of the pack for A-10 head coaches, so I guess DU is getting decent value.  So, DU is left with the quandry Dennis references above. If coach doesn't decide for himself to  move on, I would rather take a chance on another coach who might get us to the next level, rather than offer an extension at this time.  I know not whether Dru Joyce is the guy who can do that , but I hope administration has their sights set higher than mediocre going forward. 

Last edited by Tony84 (3/09/2023 9:16 am)

3/09/2023 9:17 am  #67

FAM wrote:

I don’t want to hear what tournaments or what he did at Akron.  This conference is too much for him.  He can’t be consistent and him playing Gunn that long was ridiculous…and I didn’t expect them to win.  He is in above his head…the proof…no post-tournament.  Don’t waste your money on the CBI Duquesne.

BTW City Duke, his MACC finals...since you like to point things out he did....

His record in those finals was 3 wins, 6 losses.  That's one of the reasons he left Akron.  He was upset that they were just a one bid league.  He lost so many finals he wanted the NCAA to give 2 bids to that conference since he lost so often and couldn't get to the NCAA for winning.  

I didn’t bring this up Fam. Simply correcting a fellow poster who was minimizing (and falsifying) his achievements. Becoming a regular thing around here.

3/09/2023 9:21 am  #68

A quote from the Post Gazette following yesterday's loss -

“I mean, we've got a shot to be good next year,” Dambrot said. “We showed we can rally back and that we’re probably one player away from really being a high-level team. A lot of people can say that, but I think I know our weaknesses better than most. I think we have some inconsistency because we rely a lot on the perimeter, and if we could score a little bit better on the inside, I think we would make another big jump. We have some young kids that eventually, I think, can do that. So we just have to keep developing it.”

3/09/2023 9:56 am  #69

indygjm wrote:

A quote from the Post Gazette following yesterday's loss -

“I mean, we've got a shot to be good next year,” Dambrot said. “We showed we can rally back and that we’re probably one player away from really being a high-level team. A lot of people can say that, but I think I know our weaknesses better than most. I think we have some inconsistency because we rely a lot on the perimeter, and if we could score a little bit better on the inside, I think we would make another big jump. We have some young kids that eventually, I think, can do that. So we just have to keep developing it.”

indygym, just a point of clarification....  the quote came from Monday's pre tournament press conference.  I believe that it was disingenuous by the PG reporter to include this quote in the game store without further context.

Here's the post game press conference from Dambrot:

Here's the full press conference from the A10 with La Salle and Duquesne:
https://www.youtube.com/live/Y_DWu2Sdh24?feature=share

3/09/2023 10:35 am  #70

He can talk offense all he wants, but as anyone with even minimal knowledge of the game can see, the problem with this team for several years has been lack of defense!  The pattern of giving up drives to the basket to any and all teams, and the trend of being gouged for huge point totals in the second half, even in some games that were victories, prevents this team from moving forward.  He talks about getting more scoring in the paint, or missing open 3's, but he seems unable to construct a defensive scheme that can hold up for an entire game, and prevent those repeated drives to the basket for easy layups.  Unless this happens this team is doomed to failure unless it shoots a very high percentage on offense.  This will happen at times with guys like Grant, Clark and McGriff, but you can't count on shooting a high percentage from long-range to win games.  In my opinion, if he had solutions to the defensive woes, I think we would have seen them by now.   

3/09/2023 10:42 am  #71

phil95 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that  KD's having been fired in disgrace after going 20-34 from his first D-1 coaching job, not being hired again for 11 years, his 3-6 record in Mac final games, his never having won an NCAA tournament game, his a losing record in his NIT appearances, failure to advance past the 2nd round of that tournament, his never having been hired by a Power 5 school whilst doing all that winning at Akron, & inability to finish higher than 5th in the A-10 in 6 tries might indicate that he is not a big time coach?

This coach truly earned a ton of accolades that went with his impressive winning percentage at  Akron. He has 416 wins as a D-1 coach. There is no denying that he had a hell of a run at Akron. 

There is also no denying that his inability to make any notable runs in the national postseason tournaments, his most likely being at the end of his career trajectory, the fact that he has accomplished nothing of note at his D-1 coaching posts both before & after Akron make a pretty good case for the idea that KD was promoted beyond his competency.

It is absolute nonsense for you or KD to point to DU's poor continuity ranking. As I demonstrated, ad nauseum, this coach has lost an average of 7.9 scholarship players per year since he arrived and has never, while at DU, had less than 6 scholarship players leave in an offseason. This began the season he arrived & has not let up. The continuity issue is his & his alone to explain. 

Posters here don't take shots at you because you have a different opinion. They do so because you pretend that all this coach has touched has turned to gold & because you resort to obnoxious zingers when more knowledgeable posters call BS on your fantastical posts & constant (including tonight) blaming poor DU outcomes on the referees.

As I have stated previously, I think KD has earned year 7, I hope the the core of players returns & is improved by a new set of teammates; & I have no belief that KD is the coach to take this program to the upper echelon of the league while earning regular NIT & NCAA bids.

That does not occur to me at all. I think we got so lucky to hit Dambrot at the perfect time in which he was frustrated with a one bid MAC and lure him to a coaching graveyard that he happened to have an emotional connection to. We got lucky, and I am so happy to have him here. He has brought a consistently competitive team to the bluff with the exception of last year and more national prominence and attention than we have ever had.

The in over his head comments are crazy. He has wins at Slu at VCU against Dayton. We have besten all of the too teams and coaches in this league. The guy hs two losing A10 records in 6 years. I guarantee you nobody in this league wanted to see us in the A10 tourney. We showed glimpses of being a scary scary team, just one or two players from getting over the hump and doing it consistently.

It is not nonsense to point out our lack of continuity. Of course Dambrot is the reason we started over, but it would be foolish to think that Rome could he built in a day. He orchestrated the coming together of this group unbelievably well, but naturally they weren’t perfect. But we took a huge step in the right direction.

Also, for the record. I blamed the result of two games on the officiating. Two. I have been critical of the officiating performances throughout the year in both wins and losses because it is warranted. Last night, did you watch Leslie Jones? He physically cannot move, he is too slow to be in the right positions. He simply cannot keep up with the game. I would love to hear what our ref friend Wildwood would have to say about this because I would be curious. Do you remember the scuffle with Gunn after the jumpball? Jones went running to break it up, but by the time he got there it was already over. It was comical haha. Guys like this have no business attempting to officiate at this level. It affects the product. I illustrated several points in my previous posts as to why we lost. I did not blame the officiating for the result.

3/09/2023 11:03 am  #72

I really don't have anything new to offer after last night. Just wanted to post something so here I am.
First, a most disheartening end to the season and I'm referring to the last 2 games. Am I totally surprised that they were both losses? Not any more than most everyone else here. I don't know what next year will bring. No idea. Not even a guess. But I do know that I'll be here on this board reading and posting and hoping for something better than how we ended our season this year. Let me also say that it's been a pleasure to be a member of this message board and truly look forward to continuing next year and hopefully many more after that. I enjoy all the posters comments and recognize that many on here are much more knowledgeable about basketball than I. Having never played the game, I have learned a great deal from many here and appreciate that very much. Wishing everyone a great off season and hope to see you all back here for more basketball talk about recruiting, transfers, etc. It's always lots of fun. And most of all..... GO DUKES!!

Last edited by El Presidente (3/09/2023 11:04 am)

3/09/2023 11:40 am  #73

DuqBlue wrote:

It’s funny to me that people are upset about this result or act like it’s unexpected. Literally, how could you not know we would be one and out?

So I guess Dambrot retires and the brilliant AD just hands the keys over to Dru Joyce.

This school is an absolute joke. From the President to atheism AD to the coaches. A pathetic joke.

I don’t know about Gormley? Really? 55 million $ given by a Philadelphia Attorney to the lawschool.Do you think Gormley may have had something to do with that. Do you think the Lawschool budget had been substantially eliminated so funds could go to other departments & programs. How about the new Medical DO school with dorms. Have you ever been to the Cooper Center. State of the art. Maybe the AD gets some credit? Cmon man. Give some credit to people who earn it. Duquesne University is in a good place. 

Last edited by Ironduke81 (3/09/2023 11:41 am)

3/09/2023 1:20 pm  #74

DuqBlue wrote:

It’s funny to me that people are upset about this result or act like it’s unexpected. Literally, how could you not know we would be one and out?

So I guess Dambrot retires and the brilliant AD just hands the keys over to Dru Joyce.

This school is an absolute joke. From the President to atheism AD to the coaches. A pathetic joke.

What the hell has Joyce done?  Nothing.

3/09/2023 1:25 pm  #75

LaSalle did us a favor. Fordham is playing in front of a lot of their fans tonight in their biggest game since Digger Phelps coached for them. They are going to win big.

Board footera