Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2023 9:04 am  #1

2023 CBI

For the 1st time in ages, I listened to the post-game show on I heart radio.  Ray Goss made a vague (or maybe not so vague) reference to "maybe this is not the last game of the season we'll know something in the next several days but i can't say anything yet" (paraphrasing here). 

This has to be a reference to the CBI. It is a 16-team event, played in Daytona Beach, Florida. It is a single elimination event played from March 18 - March 22. The amount of carry over, from any success, to 2023-24 is nebulous at best given roster turnover.

3/09/2023 9:58 am  #2

Re: 2023 CBI

Haven't we suffered enough?  
The players obviously have no interest in continuing the season or they would have shown some toughness in the last two games!  It would just be throwing good money after bad.  Please let the suffering end! 

3/09/2023 10:31 am  #3

Please dont do this as everyone is so dissappointed over the way the season ended..Duquesne needs to spend time recruiting better post players

3/09/2023 10:32 am  #4

I always find the differing opinions on the subject of pay-to-play postseason participation to be quite interesting. I have always been a more basketball is a good thing guy but I am not so sure this season.

The talent is certainly there to make a nice run in the CBI, give the season a better finish, be able to have a whole lot more purposefull practices, & give the returning players more experience with tournament play.

Is the desire there? Will Dixon get plenty of run or will I be forced to watch Gunn suck out loud for a bunch more minutes? Will Hronsky get lots of practice & game minutes? Would KD use the practice time wisely to benefit next season by teaching these guys how to play some zone defense?

I feel like we know the answer to these questions. With that in mind, I say put that money toward the recruiting budget & skip the CBI.

3/09/2023 1:49 pm  #5

I am in agreement guys, skip the CBI and get after recruiting!!

3/10/2023 9:40 am  #6

I'm selfish. I want to watch more Dukes basketball.  Give me the CBI.  Let the boys have a week in the sun (but more likely an overnight )  We wont get any more Dukes basketball until November anyway.

3/10/2023 10:14 am  #7

Styles1229 wrote:

I'm selfish. I want to watch more Dukes basketball.  Give me the CBI.  Let the boys have a week in the sun (but more likely an overnight )  We wont get any more Dukes basketball until November anyway.

I agree. I may be a glutton for punishment but let's keep playing if we get the opportunity. We might add a win or two and that's always good. 

3/10/2023 10:55 am  #8

I would usually say shut it down for the season, but since I will be in the Daytona Beach area that week, I would like to see it.

3/10/2023 4:42 pm  #9

3/10/2023 6:03 pm  #10

Risky.
We win at least one or two games good
but if we are favored and lose not so good,
KD and the team may agree to play if it helps
the seniors receive European League offers.

3/10/2023 6:58 pm  #11

A nice reward for a good season. If next year’s young core gets more playing time (McGriff, Dixon, Hronsky) then OK with this.

3/11/2023 1:37 am  #12

Cant turn it down now that its rumored.  If there was no word, and we never found out, fine.  But not playing, if invited, is pathetic. 

When/will Barre be back?   Never heard what his injury was.   

Marshall would not be a good matchup tho.

3/11/2023 7:20 am  #13

I hate to say this but after looking at this list of potential teams is this what we aspire to. Save your money and stay home! This does absolutely nothing for the program. 

3/11/2023 9:49 am  #14

Don’t do it!!

3/11/2023 9:55 am  #15

The Duquesne way, save your money!

3/11/2023 10:15 am  #16

I find it telling that the 4 top teams that finished the A-10 are the last 4 teams playing today.

3/11/2023 11:12 am  #17

I thought the same thing, FAM.

If/when Fordham or VCU fails to win the tournament & then get absolutely no consideration for an at large bid with 25-26 wins, the A-10 will have officially reached an all-time low in conference prestige.

3/11/2023 11:13 am  #18

Could Duquesne MBB Be CBI Bound? - Pittsburgh Sports Now

Here is my thinking on the CBI.  The CBI as a tournament is meaningless. It does however allow a team to keep playing and improving for next season if a team is committed and in it to win it.  However, looking at the Dukes right now we have 4 guys who hopefully will be back that can't play: Hronsky, Barba, Barre, and Carney.  We have four guys that won't be back: Reece, Gunn, Brewer and Rotroff.  Plus Dixon is hurting and may need work done on his knee.  It doesn't do much for us improving for next season.

I could be wrong, but I think next summer we are eligible again for a summer foreign tour.  I would rather put that money into going someplace nice next summer with our full roster and using that as recruiting tool.  IMHO we are very close if everyone returns.  We need maximum effort right now in recruiting better replacement parts. All hands-on deck recruiting.  No misses and no excuses.

3/11/2023 12:28 pm  #19

levon1975 wrote:

Haven't we suffered enough?  
The players obviously have no interest in continuing the season or they would have shown some toughness in the last two games!  It would just be throwing good money after bad.  Please let the suffering end! 

Take the negativity and find some other team to follow and trash. 
Yes, I’m disappointed but stop throwing rocks at an opportunity to play more and grow.  It helped us in the past.

It’s the attitude that destroys a program.

Last edited by coffee (3/11/2023 3:08 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/11/2023 2:21 pm  #20

CLK wrote:

Could Duquesne MBB Be CBI Bound? - Pittsburgh Sports Now

Here is my thinking on the CBI.  The CBI as a tournament is meaningless. It does however allow a team to keep playing and improving for next season if a team is committed and in it to win it.  However, looking at the Dukes right now we have 4 guys who hopefully will be back that can't play: Hronsky, Barba, Barre, and Carney.  We have four guys that won't be back: Reece, Gunn, Brewer and Rotroff.  Plus Dixon is hurting and may need work done on his knee.  It doesn't do much for us improving for next season.

I could be wrong, but I think next summer we are eligible again for a summer foreign tour.  I would rather put that money into going someplace nice next summer with our full roster and using that as recruiting tool.  IMHO we are very close if everyone returns.  We need maximum effort right now in recruiting better replacement parts. All hands-on deck recruiting.  No misses and no excuses.

I like your analysis CLK but my feeling is I can go either way as I see benefits to both methods of playing or not playing and concentrate on recruiting.  I am however an old school guy and love seeing us play no matter what although at the same time a one and done would push the knife deeper into my heart but a win would buoy my confidence in the team and system.  Bottom line is lets support this team what ever the circumstances dictate and keep playing and or building the team for next year.  

3/11/2023 3:35 pm  #21

CLK I never even thought of it that way and you are 1000% correct and I am in total agreement with you.  Get the pieces for next year by aggressive recruiting, get healthy and retain who we need to retain - this should be the mandate.

3/11/2023 3:53 pm  #22

You all make valid points for and against. Selfishly speaking, I am always going to vote in favor of watching more Dukes hoops. Maybe this is my way of rationalizing my personal desires haha, but I think the more we can put ourselves in win or go home scenarios the better. The lights seemed a little bright the other night for some guys, so while it might be impossible to replicate the A10 tournament I think this would be a good opportunity to gain some more experience in these situations for next season.

3/11/2023 4:14 pm  #23

It gives me great pleasure that KD now is forced to speak favorably about participation in the CBI.

Early in his DU tenure, I was both shocked & disgusted when he said very bluntly & publicly that he didn't want to play in this tournament because that's not what he came here while indicating that the CBI was below a winner of his stature.

Maybe his boss had the stones to say get on board with what's been offered/earned or get off the Duquesne train. Perhaps his mediocre record in the A-10 has made him less arrogant & a better leader. I prefer to think it is the latter.

It is important to me that the public face of the program I so devotedly follow act with a very high degree of professionalism & accountability. Ferry was the "buck-passingist" coach in recent memory & I could never respect him much because of it. RE was damn near perfect in this category.

I don't care how many of you call me petty or a hater for this post.

3/11/2023 5:47 pm  #24

Let's see if Duquesne gets an NIT bid.

3/11/2023 6:10 pm  #25

Unfortunately not happening Bilgy.  We would have needed to at least get to 22 wins to even have a shot at the NIT.

Board footera