Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2023 5:26 pm  #1

Recruiting/Roster

Given the major disappointment at the end of this season I've decided to look to next year and start a thread about where we now sit - which is at a critical crossroad.  We can't afford to fall back again, we need to go up from here.  It is imperative that we build on a 20 win season and keep who I view as important foundation pieces and recruit at a quality level to add to what we have.  My foundation pieces are DDae, Clark, Dixon, Burre (on potential) and Matus (on potential).  Kareem and Tre are decent backups, but that is it.  We all know what we need - decent bigs, swing forward, 6'2" PG - so if anyone hears anything or gets any intel please add to this thread.

3/19/2023 5:34 pm  #2

Re: Recruiting/Roster

Agree Pistol. Good news portal equals free agency. Look at Pitt this year impressive. Give me 24 year olds against 19 year olds. Look at Duke v Tenn last night. DUKE  had  5 stars vs the grown men of Tennessee. No match. It’s all up to Dambrot & staff to keep the few key players and get a BIG point guard, penetrating guards & small forwards. Finally bigs that can finish low. Look at the box score today. No need to call out any players. If next year fails Duquesne will be in search of another head coach. Ground Hogs day at the bluff.

3/21/2023 12:04 pm  #3

Does anyone have any further intel on the health status off Barre and Hronsky?  If healthy and returning, these two help fill in some of the puzzle pieces at Center and the 2/3 spots.

Once again, this year’s team was so lacking at the PF. Tre Williams does get exposed in many matchups; he needs to come off of the bench. RJ Gunn was disappointing; when his shot was not falling, he was a negative both defensively and rebounding.

I’m hoping that Dixon’s game develops enough over the summer that he can start at PF. Offensively, he needs to continue to develop that 12-15 foot shot and get fully comfortable in facing the basket with the ball. Defensively, Dixon will need to work on guarding the ball by moving his feet and not just reaching in. He has all of the tools to be a very good A10 player, if he can stay healthy.

3/21/2023 4:23 pm  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Does anyone have any further intel on the health status off Barre and Hronsky? If healthy and returning, these two help fill in some of the puzzle pieces at Center and the 2/3 spots.

Once again, this year’s team was so lacking at the PF. Tre Williams does get exposed in many matchups; he needs to come off of the bench. RJ Gunn was disappointing; when his shot was not falling, he was a negative both defensively and rebounding.

I’m hoping that Dixon’s game develops enough over the summer that he can start at PF. Offensively, he needs to continue to develop that 12-15 foot shot and get fully comfortable in facing the basket with the ball. Defensively, Dixon will need to work on guarding the ball by moving his feet and not just reaching in. He has all of the tools to be a very good A10 player, if he can stay healthy.

Tre really needs to loose 20 pounds, get more vertical leap, and faster. At 230 vs 250, he would be likely fit enough to play his position, because at his present weight, he lacks vertical leap and quickness. Just my observation. I like him but he is not producing, and if he doesn't come into next year lighter and faster, then what is he doing here?

3/21/2023 5:04 pm  #5

PistolPete wrote:

Given the major disappointment at the end of this season I've decided to look to next year and start a thread about where we now sit - which is at a critical crossroad.  We can't afford to fall back again, we need to go up from here.  It is imperative that we build on a 20 win season and keep who I view as important foundation pieces and recruit at a quality level to add to what we have.  My foundation pieces are DDae, Clark, Dixon, Burre (on potential) and Matus (on potential).  Kareem and Tre are decent backups, but that is it.  We all know what we need - decent bigs, swing forward, 6'2" PG - so if anyone hears anything or gets any intel please add to this thread.

20 plus wins is a necessity to be considered an upper level team in the A-10 and for any consideration for post season play year after year.   

3/21/2023 5:22 pm  #6

Good question Phoenix and I agree Napa.  The next 30 days should be very interesting once the M Madness is over and we get full bore into recruiting and transfer news.  This is a very pivotal year ladies and gentlemen.  We must progress upward and continue momentum and I do agree with KD that we are very close if we can bring in a couple of quality pieces to what we already have.  GO DUKES!

3/22/2023 9:58 am  #7

I have it on good authority that Jimmy "Tre" Clarke will return to the Dukes next season.  I think Jimmy returning is pivotal to continuing momentum for the program.  Let's hope Dae Dae returns as well.  What does everyone think about JImmy at the point guard position?

3/22/2023 10:17 am  #8

Is it a relatively good sign that no one has entered the portal yet? They're not running for the exits. 

Agree that Clark's return is definitely a good sign and that he is pivotal. Just can't be stopped in some games. Personally, I like him as a scoring threat. Maybe a transfer runs point but Rozier wasn't terrible there. Although undersized, could he make a "sophomore leap" that would overcome that?

3/22/2023 11:04 am  #9

Clark is a critical piece so glad to hear that, but so is Dae Dae and then the other guys are very important as well (Barre, Dixon, Matus).  I don't really see Williams going anywhere and highly unlikely Rozier would transfer.

3/22/2023 12:22 pm  #10

PistolPete wrote:

Clark is a critical piece so glad to hear that, but so is Dae Dae and then the other guys are very important as well (Barre, Dixon, Matus).  I don't really see Williams going anywhere and highly unlikely Rozier would transfer.

I went to Daytona to watch the game and talked to a few of the guys.  I asked Kareem point blank if he was coming back and he said "definitely."  A really nice kid and I can see how his energy is infectious with the group.  I wish him all the success but I do not see him as a starter.  I love him giving the team 12-15 minutes a game in a back up role for at least next year.  I saw Barre and Matus at the game in street clothes but they were very engaged.  They did not look like guys who had one foot out the door, but who knows.  I'm not sure how opportunity knocks for these guys or when.  I will say this:  Dae Dae played is backside off.  I know it was an earnest effort to win the game - I just hope it was not an audition as well.

3/22/2023 12:57 pm  #11

Thanks Styles, I hope so too about Dae Dae.

3/22/2023 1:06 pm  #12

Losing Dae Dae would be a kick in the teeth to this program. Let's hope he's back with Barre, Hronsky, Clark, Dixon, for sure.

3/22/2023 1:19 pm  #13

I feel there is a good nucleus if all come back - which I think will:
     Tre Clark
     Dae Dae Grant
     Tre Williams
     David Dixon
     Kareem Rozier
     Quincy McGriff

Some posters have mentioned and I agree that we will need to know health status of Barre and Hronsky.  If Barre is out then we need a big or even (2).  Hronsky I can see being a good bench guy but what is going on with health.  

I feel we need another slasher.  I love Dae Dae but he is a shooter and Tre is the slasher.  I wish we had another slasher who could create his own shot.  

I love Rozier as the backup PG.  Feel we need a bigger guard to run the point.

McGriff / Hronsky would be nice depth coming off the bench.

I also think Duquesne needs to figure out what they want their offensive identity to be.  Are the going to be more of a 4 guard/SF offense with 1 big and shoot 3s and slash to the rim?  Are they going to be balanced with a Big Center, PF and so on.  Or lastly are they going to an all big front court and 2 guards?

I feel this year they were fighting in between the smaller offense that shoots 3s but didn't have enough slashers. OR the balanced which at times I liked with Reece/Tre or Dixon/Rotroff down low.  

3/22/2023 1:34 pm  #14

They will definitely need a point guard to at least split time with Kareem, but don't sleep on this guy just because he is not 6-feet tall.  Kareem is solidly built and has the strength to play at this level.  I was quite impressed with his play as a freshman.  If you have been watching Markquis Nowell the PG from Kansas St.  He is the MVP of their team and is  5'9" 160-lbs.  He played three seasons at Little Rock and has played in nearly 100-games at the D-1 level.  Kareem has played only 33-games in college basketball.  He surprised me with his long-range shooting, and his maturity for a freshman.  I expect him to do nothing but get better and eliminate some of the mistakes of exuberance when things get wild in these games.  He will learn when to push and when to slow things down and is clearly already a leader on the team.  I'm sure he plans to be the primary PG for this team in the future.    

3/22/2023 2:27 pm  #15

Levon I like Rozier as well but we have a big problem at the point that needs to be fixed if we are going to take the next step.  We need a big guard who can take it to the basket consistently and either score or get fouled.  This past season our starting point guard only attempted 15 FT's in 729 minutes of play.  Rozier only attempted 31 FT's in 498 minutes.  Combined our two point guards only attempted 46 FT's in 1,227 minutes.  To put that into perspective this year Sin Carry attempted 149 FT's in 1,284 minutes.  We need a bigger point guard who can drive the ball.  Kareem is a very capable ball handler and assist man with a 2.7 A/TO ratio but if he is going to lead this team next year he needs to step up his scoring and getting fouled is a big part of that. 

3/22/2023 3:36 pm  #16

CLK wrote:

Levon I like Rozier as well but we have a big problem at the point that needs to be fixed if we are going to take the next step.  We need a big guard who can take it to the basket consistently and either score or get fouled.  This past season our starting point guard only attempted 15 FT's in 729 minutes of play.  Rozier only attempted 31 FT's in 498 minutes.  Combined our two point guards only attempted 46 FT's in 1,227 minutes.  To put that into perspective this year Sin Carry attempted 149 FT's in 1,284 minutes.  We need a bigger point guard who can drive the ball.  Kareem is a very capable ball handler and assist man with a 2.7 A/TO ratio but if he is going to lead this team next year he needs to step up his scoring and getting fouled is a big part of that. 

Cant agree more plus the bigger guard helps in defending the other team with a less likely scenario of shooting or passing over a smaller guard.

3/23/2023 12:30 pm  #17

So Kareem got fouled twice as often as Brewer despite playing 232 fewer minutes; so at least that would project to 80 FT attempts if he played the same minutes as Sin Carry.  Sin is a 5th year player and Kareem was in his first year, so I would expect his FT attempts would increase as he gets a better feel when to take it to the basket at this level.  We can also assume that since Kent was a good team and held leads late in games that Sin was also getting fouled when teams were just trying to stop the clock and get the ball back.  
Nonetheless, I think we would all favor an option of having a bigger point guard to go along with Kareem for next season.  It's just that recruiting the ideal sized PG with all of the desired qualities is a lot more competitive than recruiting one that is a bit undersized.  So, can we attract this guy?  

Last edited by levon1975 (3/23/2023 12:31 pm)

Board footera