Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2023 10:04 pm  #1

Transfer Portal and NIL Deals Create Major and Minor Leagues

Rich Walsh from KDKA had an interesting take on this fiasco. He can envision coaches rebuilding their team year after year through the transfer portal. He also sees the A-10 level conferences as the minor leagues for the Power 5 conferences plus the Big East. He actually mentioned Duquesne as a feeder program. Now tell me honestly who didn't see this coming?

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/19/2023 10:12 pm  #2

Re: Transfer Portal and NIL Deals Create Major and Minor Leagues

KenOTR73 wrote:

Rich Walsh from KDKA had an interesting take on this fiasco. He can envision coaches rebuilding their team year after year through the transfer portal. He also sees the A-10 level conferences as the minor leagues for the Power 5 conferences plus the Big East. He actually mentioned Duquesne as a feeder program. Now tell me honestly who didn't see this coming?

I really didn’t see any players that came from Duquesne impacting any of the teams that advanced. What I did notice was a player from Bucknell and Sienna helping PSU advance and two ASU players from Nevada help ASU eliminate Nevada, that really has to hurt. 

3/19/2023 10:30 pm  #3

Walsh is a lightweight who spews nonsense.  I would challenge him to name recent Duquesne players who chased NIL deals and became building blocks for major programs.  Good Luck naming any.  The vast majority of Duquesne transfers have dropped to a lower level that allowed them to compete!  There is only one player in the entire Dambrot era at Duquesne who transferred to a P-5 program and actually contributed and that was Eric Williams.

3/19/2023 10:38 pm  #4

levon1975 wrote:

Walsh is a lightweight who spews nonsense. I would challenge him to name recent Duquesne players who chased NIL deals and became building blocks for major programs. Good Luck naming any. The vast majority of Duquesne transfers have dropped to a lower level that allowed them to compete! There is only one player in the entire Dambrot era at Duquesne who transferred to a P-5 program and actually contributed and that was Eric Williams.

And Eric Williams was a role player at best and ended  up at U of San Diego!!!

3/20/2023 11:16 am  #5

This years team actually proved you can compete if you get the right players that play as a team and you just happen to find a reasonable complete team. Take Primo for instance, he was a point guard on our 6- 20 plus lose team, then transfered to Georgetown and again ran an offense to a 6-20plus lose team, Just maybe, he lacks good court vision, was a ball hog and made bad decisions. Yet, Brewer and Rozier likely ran our offense better and had a positive effect in the wins we had by compairison. You need 5 starters that all contribute to both defense and score when the opportunity is there. Every year it's going to be important to find the positive players that fits your program. In this portal age, player evaluation becomes very important, because some bench players from lower programs can come in and fit so well that it can be the difference between winning or not. I don't think it's going to be that important to out spend other teams to find good team players, but likely impossible to out spend for high profile players. Don't try to out spend. Get better at player evaluation.  

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/20/2023 11:18 am)

3/20/2023 11:40 am  #6

NapaDuke wrote:

This years team actually proved you can compete if you get the right players that play as a team and you just happen to find a reasonable complete team. Take Primo for instance, he was a point guard on our 6- 20 plus lose team, then transfered to Georgetown and again ran an offense to a 6-20plus lose team, Just maybe, he lacks good court vision, was a ball hog and made bad decisions. Yet, Brewer and Rozier likely ran our offense better and had a positive effect in the wins we had by compairison. You need 5 starters that all contribute to both defense and score when the opportunity is there. Every year it's going to be important to find the positive players that fits your program. In this portal age, player evaluation becomes very important, because some bench players from lower programs can come in and fit so well that it can be the difference between winning or not. I don't think it's going to be that important to out spend other teams to find good team players, but likely impossible to out spend for high profile players. Don't try to out spend. Get better at player evaluation.  

Sounds like the movie: "Moneyball."

3/20/2023 12:10 pm  #7

Does make sense since DU is unlikely to outspend anyone moving forward at this point. I do know that lots of dollars have been invested in the program over the last 6 years and that's exactly why I'll be surprised if much more will be spent. Good money after bad?

3/20/2023 12:19 pm  #8

Maybe a bit naïve but is there a way that the portal and NIL stuff could benefit smaller programs and conferences? The old "big fish in a small pond" argument. If I'm a reasonably talented kid riding the pine in a P5 program, I might look to a smaller school/market with some NIL $$ to get my name out there. A couple P5 talented kids pieced together with a solid core could be a recipe for team success. Agree that evaluation of player and "fit" is critical.

Last edited by z duke (3/20/2023 12:20 pm)

3/20/2023 12:43 pm  #9

Wildwood13 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Walsh is a lightweight who spews nonsense. I would challenge him to name recent Duquesne players who chased NIL deals and became building blocks for major programs. Good Luck naming any. The vast majority of Duquesne transfers have dropped to a lower level that allowed them to compete! There is only one player in the entire Dambrot era at Duquesne who transferred to a P-5 program and actually contributed and that was Eric Williams.

He started 32 of a possible 57 games for 2  teams ranked as high as #8 & #14 respectively. He started 2 of 5 NCAA/NIT tournament games while averaging 9 points, 5.2 rebounds, & 28.6 minutes. He started more than 2 dozen games in front of players that got drafted. Then he went to San Diego & averaged 15 & 9. 1,755 career points & 1,033 career rebounds.

He was not a superstar but far exceeded your evaluation of being "a role player at best". Of course, EW left long before NIL was a thing.

Weathers reportedly did very well with NIL when he left. He had a tremendous grad year.

I agree with your premise in the post I quoted. Thus far DU hasn't lost much as a result of NIL. I just thought a bit of clarification was worthwhile in EW's case.

3/20/2023 3:00 pm  #10

Good points Napa and Z Duke, I concur.

3/20/2023 4:44 pm  #11

scduke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Well, yes. Look at how much computers analysis every team to win or lose, but over-look the components of that team that cause that team to win or lose.  KD, Just take that very deep staff of asst. coaches and maybe some computer stat geek, and get some real numbers on under-looked bench players. See, every team has bench players that were very likely under-used or were in the coaches "dog-house". Heck, if this team this year had anything it was chemistry. Maybe by designed, or just maybe by luck, but, also, sometimes teams fall apart by one toxic bench player complaining and is just poison to the season and helps bring down the team, Or, like last year, likely Primo was just maybe, the worst thing to happen to a team. Just maybe,good team players are more valuable than  5 star recruits

3/20/2023 7:18 pm  #12

z duke wrote:

Maybe a bit naïve but is there a way that the portal and NIL stuff could benefit smaller programs and conferences? The old "big fish in a small pond" argument. If I'm a reasonably talented kid riding the pine in a P5 program, I might look to a smaller school/market with some NIL $$ to get my name out there. A couple P5 talented kids pieced together with a solid core could be a recipe for team success. Agree that evaluation of player and "fit" is critical.

I agree, you can offer some money to an incoming player, like say a t-shirt contract, then to make sure it works, have that T-shirt throw at the games, infact have that kids name on them, in other-words the School pre-bought those shirts, thus assure that kids shirt gets out there and it makes money for him. If we don't do it, I am sure other schools will do just that. Also, the likeness of a player, in advertising, is in fact, worthy of compensation by the school to that person. See, now, a School can not profit for using a players picture in advertisements without the player getting some compensation.  That money, then comes from the University advertising budget and not from donations. I bet, this becomes common place going forward. Still, the bottom line, a Fairleigh-Dickensen still can beat a Purdue even with players being payed. Purdue was not a balanced team, but FD was. Seems impossible, but, not just Purdue, but a bunch of top teams fell this year to lesser teams?  Just saying?

3/20/2023 7:39 pm  #13

Time for LeBron to build up our NIL fund. If he's allowed to do that,

3/20/2023 7:58 pm  #14

NapaDuke wrote:

z duke wrote:

I agree, you can offer some money to an incoming player, like say a t-shirt contract, then to make sure it works, have that T-shirt throw at the games, infact have that kids name on them, in other-words the School pre-bought those shirts, thus assure that kids shirt gets out there and it makes money for him. If we don't do it, I am sure other schools will do just that. Also, the likeness of a player, in advertising, is in fact, worthy of compensation by the school to that person. See, now, a School can not profit for using a players picture in advertisements without the player getting some compensation.  That money, then comes from the University advertising budget and not from donations. I bet, this becomes common place going forward. Still, the bottom line, a Fairleigh-Dickensen still can beat a Purdue even with players being payed. Purdue was not a balanced team, but FD was. Seems impossible, but, not just Purdue, but a bunch of top teams fell this year to lesser teams?  Just saying?

Just to clarify, and why NIL funds are important.

NCAA rules still prevent schools from paying players directly. This means that college coaches cannot offer money as an incentive for high school athletes to come play at their school, nor can athletes receive compensation directly from their university based upon their athletic achievements. Because the NCAA still intends to maintain its amateur sports status, paying athletes for their play on the field isn’t possible. However, NIL is the workaround for athletes to get paid without technically being considered professional athletes who make a living playing their sport.

3/21/2023 7:37 am  #15

I’m legally challenged so I’m not sure how this was accomplished but, Tshiebwe was able to circumvent the rule that foreign players can not be paid since they would be in violation of their student visa. I guess he could take on US citizenship.  I’m sure the legal minds will be hot on this one especially with the recent influx of foreign talent. 

3/21/2023 8:00 am  #16

BTW to Walsh and some of the other idiots in the local media, kids still want to play and many times they will play for coaches much more than schools. Pitino at Iona is a good example of this. Yesterday Southern Utah beat Rice and their big scorer was a Illinois transfer!!!!!  
We also can not underestimate the ability of coaches to totally out coach their opponent. Painter at Purdue suffered that fate the other night. Like KD he stubbornly adhered to man to man defense, frequent and inexplicably substitutions and an offense built around a small freshman point guard that other teams quickly figured out. 

3/21/2023 8:17 am  #17

NapaDuke wrote:

scduke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Well, yes. Look at how much computers analysis every team to win or lose, but over-look the components of that team that cause that team to win or lose.  KD, Just take that very deep staff of asst. coaches and maybe some computer stat geek, and get some real numbers on under-looked bench players. See, every team has bench players that were very likely under-used or were in the coaches "dog-house". Heck, if this team this year had anything it was chemistry. Maybe by designed, or just maybe by luck, but, also, sometimes teams fall apart by one toxic bench player complaining and is just poison to the season and helps bring down the team, Or, like last year, likely Primo was just maybe, the worst thing to happen to a team. Just maybe,good team players are more valuable than  5 star recruits

Great suggestion Napa. Heck, just hire a kid from the Computer Science program to start.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

3/21/2023 8:29 am  #18

KenOTR73 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

scduke wrote:

Great suggestion Napa. Heck, just hire a kid from the Computer Science program to start.

So you really think that the Dukes staff and every other D-1 staff is not already doing this for the past several years????  Those stats are readily available, even to you, if you want to shell out a few dollars for a subscription (and some are free).

3/21/2023 4:52 pm  #19

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Great suggestion Napa. Heck, just hire a kid from the Computer Science program to start. And, yes, everyone is looking for new players on the portal, it is very new, hasn't been around for decades, just the last couple of years. Getting smarter than the rest can build a better team. 

So you really think that the Dukes staff and every other D-1 staff is not already doing this for the past several years???? Those stats are readily available, even to you, if you want to shell out a few dollars for a subscription (and some are free).

Well, great, just like anyone, you can just get the "canned stats" I never meant that, nor should this coaching staff. There is way more to players than the canned stats. Primo looks great on a stat sheet, but I watched him play. He's the reason teams loose. Honestly, Tre can't hit a 2 foot shot if his life depended on it, but there are some on this board with twisted stats to say he is great? No he isn't, and it cost us games. We need players at forward that can finish inside, period. And, if Dixon can gain some weight and play 5. we likely are a very good team next year, but we do need bench players with the right attitude that come off the bench and light up the score without the drama of being bench players, but feel, it's important to be part of a team. Find those players. It's not that apparent on those "stat  sheets" you refer to.  It's called chemistry, not high-light film. It take a bit more looking to tell them apart.

3/22/2023 12:26 pm  #20

Wildwood13 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

He was a role player BUT he was a starter and played most of every game for multiple seasons on a team that at time was ranked in the top 25 and played in the big dance.  I know you were not impugning his abilities, but I feel he was more than a "role player" there. 

3/22/2023 12:34 pm  #21

z duke wrote:

That's not naive.  I have this discussion often with a friend of mine who played at Waynesburg in the1980s and was a 3 time All American, 2 years in the CBA and even had a cup of coffee in the NBA (3 month contract with 2 different teams.)  He is beloved at Waynesburg, is the all time leading scorer there, never has to pay for a meal or drink when he's anywhere close to there.  They celebrate him regularly.  He has no regrets about his decision to play there.  We were discussing Robby Carmody from Moon recently.  Had Carmody not gone to Notre Dame and played at a smaller school, who knows what his career would have been.  Local kid like that would have been a hero on the bluff.  that should be as much of a sell as "playing for a Power 5 school."  

3/22/2023 12:54 pm  #22

Napa I can't tell you how many times I yelled at my TV and said "are you kidding me" when Tre missed from 2', just not acceptable.  Someone posted in another thread how Tre's shooting percentage increased by like 7% from the prior year, but I am with you as to how stats can be deceiving as he should be making 7/10 when shooting so close to the basket.  That is why he needs to come off the bench and play the 4.  I disagree though that Dixon could or should play the 5.  As someone said he needs to be able to make the 10' jumper and put on some muscle and he would be a great 4.  I actually think he can even develop a three point shot as well.  Styes you also raise a good point about guys going to Power 5's and then don't see the light of day for whatever reason.  An exception may be Morton at Purdue, but he didn't play much initially and he still came off the bench this year.  Unless the kid really wanted an ND education (hmmm??), then someone like Carmody would have been better off at an A-10 level school where he would have gotten a lot of PT and possibly be one of the top players in the league - and still get a quality education.  

3/22/2023 12:55 pm  #23

NapaDuke wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

KenOTR73 wrote:

Great suggestion Napa. Heck, just hire a kid from the Computer Science program to start. And, yes, everyone is looking for new players on the portal, it is very new, hasn't been around for decades, just the last couple of years. Getting smarter than the rest can build a better team. 

So you really think that the Dukes staff and every other D-1 staff is not already doing this for the past several years???? Those stats are readily available, even to you, if you want to shell out a few dollars for a subscription (and some are free).

Well, great, just like anyone, you can just get the "canned stats" I never meant that, nor should this coaching staff. There is way more to players than the canned stats. Primo looks great on a stat sheet, but I watched him play. He's the reason teams loose. Honestly, Tre can't hit a 2 foot shot if his life depended on it, but there are some on this board with twisted stats to say he is great? No he isn't, and it cost us games. We need players at forward that can finish inside, period. And, if Dixon can gain some weight and play 5. we likely are a very good team next year, but we do need bench players with the right attitude that come off the bench and light up the score without the drama of being bench players, but feel, it's important to be part of a team. Find those players. It's not that apparent on those "stat  sheets" you refer to.  It's called chemistry, not high-light film. It take a bit more looking to tell them apart.

It's not "twisting" a stat to say Tre Williams shot 49% from the field.  That is not "great" or even "pretty good," but it's "not bad" and definitely better than "couldn't hit a 2 footer if his life depended on it."  Tre has to finish better but he can certainly be a valuable role player on a team competing for the A-10 championship.  I think Tre won us more games then he lost us. He shot 7 for 7 against Colgate, 8 for 9 against Indiana St, 5 for 8 against St Bona, 5 for 6 against GW, and 5 for 7 against St Joes.  He finished the season very poorly.  I think because he is able to create an open shot inside so often and misses easy ones, the perception is he is worse than he is.  He frustrates me too but he is not part of the problem.  If Chabi was healthy we would have seen a better rotation of big men and Tre would have gotten lesser minutes and he would have played better.

3/22/2023 5:23 pm  #24

Styles1229 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

It's not "twisting" a stat to say Tre Williams shot 49% from the field.  That is not "great" or even "pretty good," but it's "not bad" and definitely better than "couldn't hit a 2 footer if his life depended on it."  Tre has to finish better but he can certainly be a valuable role player on a team competing for the A-10 championship.  I think Tre won us more games then he lost us. He shot 7 for 7 against Colgate, 8 for 9 against Indiana St, 5 for 8 against St Bona, 5 for 6 against GW, and 5 for 7 against St Joes.  He finished the season very poorly.  I think because he is able to create an open shot inside so often and misses easy ones, the perception is he is worse than he is.  He frustrates me too but he is not part of the problem.  If Chabi was healthy we would have seen a better rotation of big men and Tre would have gotten lesser minutes and he would have played better.

I think Tre in off season should slim down 10 to 20 pounds and  hit the weights. He has the potential of being part of a championship team, but too many times and late in the season when the real stats count, he has to be automatic in scoring under the basket. It's that simple. Championship teams have five starters that score in their positions, Tre has to bring up his game. I think he can, only if he raises his game. By the way, if he does, then he is part of a championship team. We need great player, not good players.

3/22/2023 5:29 pm  #25

PistolPete wrote:

Napa I can't tell you how many times I yelled at my TV and said "are you kidding me" when Tre missed from 2', just not acceptable.  Someone posted in another thread how Tre's shooting percentage increased by like 7% from the prior year, but I am with you as to how stats can be deceiving as he should be making 7/10 when shooting so close to the basket.  That is why he needs to come off the bench and play the 4.  I disagree though that Dixon could or should play the 5.  As someone said he needs to be able to make the 10' jumper and put on some muscle and he would be a great 4.  I actually think he can even develop a three point shot as well.  Styes you also raise a good point about guys going to Power 5's and then don't see the light of day for whatever reason.  An exception may be Morton at Purdue, but he didn't play much initially and he still came off the bench this year.  Unless the kid really wanted an ND education (hmmm??), then someone like Carmody would have been better off at an A-10 level school where he would have gotten a lot of PT and possibly be one of the top players in the league - and still get a quality education.  

Dixon's upside is likely depended on his physical developement. He is fast. He has a lot of skills. He may put on size and be a force in the paint. He may stay slim and a fast forward. To me either would be great. Too much talent in that kid to not make him a starter next year, either way

Board footera