Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2023 5:40 pm  #26

Re: Transfer Portal and NIL Deals Create Major and Minor Leagues

I am hoping that NO ONE on the team goes in the Portal.  As we know, Dambrot has lost a number of key players and for sake of another heavy discussion, a few were good players and did well where they went.  I HAVE HOPE that Dru Joyce may be the person to keep these guys here.

3/22/2023 8:31 pm  #27

FAM wrote:

I am hoping that NO ONE on the team goes in the Portal.  As we know, Dambrot has lost a number of key players and for sake of another heavy discussion, a few were good players and did well where they went.  I HAVE HOPE that Dru Joyce may be the person to keep these guys here.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

3/22/2023 8:38 pm  #28

Styles1229 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

So you really think that the Dukes staff and every other D-1 staff is not already doing this for the past several years???? Those stats are readily available, even to you, if you want to shell out a few dollars for a subscription (and some are free).

Well, great, just like anyone, you can just get the "canned stats" I never meant that, nor should this coaching staff. There is way more to players than the canned stats. Primo looks great on a stat sheet, but I watched him play. He's the reason teams loose. Honestly, Tre can't hit a 2 foot shot if his life depended on it, but there are some on this board with twisted stats to say he is great? No he isn't, and it cost us games. We need players at forward that can finish inside, period. And, if Dixon can gain some weight and play 5. we likely are a very good team next year, but we do need bench players with the right attitude that come off the bench and light up the score without the drama of being bench players, but feel, it's important to be part of a team. Find those players. It's not that apparent on those "stat  sheets" you refer to.  It's called chemistry, not high-light film. It take a bit more looking to tell them apart.

It's not "twisting" a stat to say Tre Williams shot 49% from the field.  That is not "great" or even "pretty good," but it's "not bad" and definitely better than "couldn't hit a 2 footer if his life depended on it."  Tre has to finish better but he can certainly be a valuable role player on a team competing for the A-10 championship.  I think Tre won us more games then he lost us. He shot 7 for 7 against Colgate, 8 for 9 against Indiana St, 5 for 8 against St Bona, 5 for 6 against GW, and 5 for 7 against St Joes.  He finished the season very poorly.  I think because he is able to create an open shot inside so often and misses easy ones, the perception is he is worse than he is.  He frustrates me too but he is not part of the problem.  If Chabi was healthy we would have seen a better rotation of big men and Tre would have gotten lesser minutes and he would have played better.

Napa:
NOBODY on this board manipulated Tre Williams stats & wrote that he is great! To my recollection, NOBODY on this board has ever even posted that Tre is a great player.

I gave some brief analysis of his work at DU including making the point that he improved his shooting percentage this season over last by 7%. The last time I checked, improvement is a good thing.

Then, I went on to write that it would be great to be in a position next season where Tre wouldn't need to be a starter but would come off the bench for 18-20 minutes per game,

Please stop making things up about other people's posts.

Last edited by phil95 (3/22/2023 8:41 pm)

3/22/2023 9:15 pm  #29

I just noticed that Dayton's Mustapha Amzil entered the portal.  Why would someone who gets a lot of minutes playing on one of the conference's perennial powers before 10,000 home fans and was considered a rising star would want to leave that situation?  Hard to figure...

3/23/2023 8:49 am  #30

indygjm wrote:

I just noticed that Dayton's Mustapha Amzil entered the portal.  Why would someone who gets a lot of minutes playing on one of the conference's perennial powers before 10,000 home fans and was considered a rising star would want to leave that situation?  Hard to figure...

Presumably, looking for a situation that will get him dancing and concerned (maybe rightfully) that the A-10 doesn't help him get there. He looked very frustrated this year on the occasions that I saw him. Definitely has some skills that could contribute to a P5 program. Maybe plays post-season in '24 and raises his stock.

3/23/2023 9:02 am  #31

phil95 wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Well, great, just like anyone, you can just get the "canned stats" I never meant that, nor should this coaching staff. There is way more to players than the canned stats. Primo looks great on a stat sheet, but I watched him play. He's the reason teams loose. Honestly, Tre can't hit a 2 foot shot if his life depended on it, but there are some on this board with twisted stats to say he is great? No he isn't, and it cost us games. We need players at forward that can finish inside, period. And, if Dixon can gain some weight and play 5. we likely are a very good team next year, but we do need bench players with the right attitude that come off the bench and light up the score without the drama of being bench players, but feel, it's important to be part of a team. Find those players. It's not that apparent on those "stat  sheets" you refer to.  It's called chemistry, not high-light film. It take a bit more looking to tell them apart.

It's not "twisting" a stat to say Tre Williams shot 49% from the field.  That is not "great" or even "pretty good," but it's "not bad" and definitely better than "couldn't hit a 2 footer if his life depended on it."  Tre has to finish better but he can certainly be a valuable role player on a team competing for the A-10 championship.  I think Tre won us more games then he lost us. He shot 7 for 7 against Colgate, 8 for 9 against Indiana St, 5 for 8 against St Bona, 5 for 6 against GW, and 5 for 7 against St Joes.  He finished the season very poorly.  I think because he is able to create an open shot inside so often and misses easy ones, the perception is he is worse than he is.  He frustrates me too but he is not part of the problem.  If Chabi was healthy we would have seen a better rotation of big men and Tre would have gotten lesser minutes and he would have played better.

Napa:
NOBODY on this board manipulated Tre Williams stats & wrote that he is great! To my recollection, NOBODY on this board has ever even posted that Tre is a great player.

I gave some brief analysis of his work at DU including making the point that he improved his shooting percentage this season over last by 7%. The last time I checked, improvement is a good thing.

Then, I went on to write that it would be great to be in a position next season where Tre wouldn't need to be a starter but would come off the bench for 18-20 minutes per game,

Please stop making things up about other people's posts.

My apology, saying twisting stats was a poor choice of words on my part.  Basketball probable has more stats per player than anyother sport. So many, that depending on which ones are presented, two people can debate all day over how or why a player is good or not. I like your post, I like your views. You back them up with stats. A lot of folks here do too. We are all looking forward to the recruits we can get this off-season and who we manage to keep. So I do look forward to your post as thing develop partly because you do look into the stats and it helps to get some idea of what the team will look like next season. Let's hope they pick some winners.     

Last edited by NapaDuke (3/23/2023 5:22 pm)

3/23/2023 9:18 am  #32

I did not know that international athletes are prohibited from participating in NIL because it conflicts with their student Visa requirements. (Dome, I missed your earlier post )

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1638891062499618818?s=20

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/23/2023 10:53 am)

3/23/2023 10:14 am  #33

A duke- excellent point.  TJ left for that reason…

3/23/2023 10:31 am  #34

FAM wrote:

A duke- excellent point.  TJ left for that reason…

TJ leaving made sense to me as long as MIller guaranteed him the starting the job.  If I'm TJ, I'd rather play 35-38 mins a night in front of my hometown and family and compete for A-10 player of the year than ride the pine at Ariz though.  TJ is that rare case where everything worked out perfectly.  

3/23/2023 1:25 pm  #35

https://www.si.com/college/2023/03/23/kansas-state-coach-jerome-tang-ipad-program-strategy

Here’s a good article that provides deep insight into the use of technology and stats in coaching college basketball today. This is college basketball in 2023.

3/23/2023 5:42 pm  #36

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

https://www.si.com/college/2023/03/23/kansas-state-coach-jerome-tang-ipad-program-strategy

Here’s a good article that provides deep insight into the use of technology and stats in coaching college basketball today. This is college basketball in 2023.

Great article. This new approach makes sense and shows how fast  new tech has moved the process of evaluating talent especially with the portal,  and providing advanced tools to help coach's in developing game plans and training. Teams that don't employ these new tech tools run the risk of being under-informed. I think older coaches are going to be far behind in the next few years.  

Board footera