Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2023 2:20 pm  #1

Transfer portal

Questions I would like answered. Are schools allowed to contact players that are not in the portal.?  Are players that are not in the portal allowed to contact other schools. Or must the player be in the portal for there to be allowable contact by either party?

3/27/2023 2:29 pm  #2

Re: Transfer portal

Answer to Wildwood questions.  Google NCAA regulations on Transfer Portal mutual obligaions and you will find the answers to your inquiry.

3/27/2023 2:55 pm  #3

grammudder wrote:

Answer to Wildwood questions.  Google NCAA regulations on Transfer Portal mutual obligaions and you will find the answers to your inquiry.

Thank you Grammudder !!

3/27/2023 3:01 pm  #4

Wildwood13, the player must be in the portal to have contact.  Here's the section from the NCAA document:  OneTime_Transfer.pdf (ncaa.org)

Q7: What happens if a student-athlete had impermissible communications, directly or indirectly, with coaching staff or boosters at the Division I school to which they transfer?

A7: Existing recruiting rules prohibit communication and contact with a student-athlete enrolled at another NCAA school prior to the student-athlete appearing in the NCAA Transfer Portal. These rules also prohibit the indirect use of third parties contacting individuals on the student-athlete’s behalf (e.g., family member, scholastic or no scholastic coach, advisor). Certain violations of these rules can constitute a significant breach of conduct as it relates to the NCAA infractions process. A student-athlete’s eligibility can be jeopardized at the school that engaged in impermissible communication

3/27/2023 3:08 pm  #5

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Wildwood13, the player must be in the portal to have contact.  Here's the section from the NCAA document:  OneTime_Transfer.pdf (ncaa.org)

Q7: What happens if a student-athlete had impermissible communications, directly or indirectly, with coaching staff or boosters at the Division I school to which they transfer?

A7: Existing recruiting rules prohibit communication and contact with a student-athlete enrolled at another NCAA school prior to the student-athlete appearing in the NCAA Transfer Portal. These rules also prohibit the indirect use of third parties contacting individuals on the student-athlete’s behalf (e.g., family member, scholastic or no scholastic coach, advisor). Certain violations of these rules can constitute a significant breach of conduct as it relates to the NCAA infractions process. A student-athlete’s eligibility can be jeopardized at the school that engaged in impermissible communication

Wow. I bet TJ and his Dad sure complied back in a day when they helped sink our program. Like Miller didn't speak to them every before that transfer. Right.

3/27/2023 3:31 pm  #6

Thank you Phoenix, but I am with Napa on there has to be some sort of contact before a kid leaps into the portal. With the number of players entering the portal each year, how in the world would a player know if there is room for him at the new school he would like to attend or wether that school would even want him unless there was some sort of contact. Another example, is when a coach gets a new job, there has to be some sort of communication between player and coach if he can go along, like the 4 star recruit that left George Mason and followed his coach to Providence and several players moved from South Carolina with Frank Martin.

3/27/2023 4:17 pm  #7

Often they use "family advisers" who act as a go-between. Have folks on this board already forgotten the late Norm Ostrin? The Kojo Mensah transfer saga?

3/27/2023 6:20 pm  #8

Wildwood13 wrote:

Thank you Phoenix, but I am with Napa on there has to be some sort of contact before a kid leaps into the portal. With the number of players entering the portal each year, how in the world would a player know if there is room for him at the new school he would like to attend or wether that school would even want him unless there was some sort of contact. Another example, is when a coach gets a new job, there has to be some sort of communication between player and coach if he can go along, like the 4 star recruit that left George Mason and followed his coach to Providence and several players moved from South Carolina with Frank Martin.

Oh, I'm fully in agreement with you on this, Wildwood13; this rule is broken all of the time.  A player who just jumps into the portal without any valid insight besides solely his friends and peer group telling him how great he is likely destined to be a basketball orphan or will drop out of the D-1 level.  Last year, there were roughly 200 D-1 players who entered the portal and didn't transfer anywhere (D-1, D-2, D-3 or Junior College); they basically lost their D-1 scholarship; of course, some of these players may have been forced out by coaching or grades.  There were approximately 500 D-1 players last year who ended up out of D-1 and are now playing at D-2, D-3 or Junior College. 

3/28/2023 9:12 am  #9

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

Oh, I'm fully in agreement with you on this, Wildwood13; this rule is broken all of the time.  A player who just jumps into the portal without any valid insight besides solely his friends and peer group telling him how great he is likely destined to be a basketball orphan or will drop out of the D-1 level.  Last year, there were roughly 200 D-1 players who entered the portal and didn't transfer anywhere (D-1, D-2, D-3 or Junior College); they basically lost their D-1 scholarship; of course, some of these players may have been forced out by coaching or grades.  There were approximately 500 D-1 players last year who ended up out of D-1 and are now playing at D-2, D-3 or Junior College. 

My response came across incorrectly. I was thanking you for the info and I went right into my opinion not suggesting you had an opinion either way. Sorry about that. I really believe that the kids going onto a higher program have had to have some sort of contact or communication with the program they are selecting. It only makes sense.

Board footera