Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2023 7:54 pm  #1

Quincy McGriff in Portal

Duquesne guard Quincy McGriff has entered the transfer portal

McGriff averaged 5.3 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists @TheAthleticCBB

https://twitter.com/tobias_bass/status/1643415531351859200?s=46&t=ZmrUQMkETa9a0DheWYcK-QI

Last edited by Bsduq2008 (4/04/2023 7:56 pm)

4/04/2023 8:43 pm  #2

Re: Quincy McGriff in Portal

No big loss. Didn’t play defense, perimeter player who didn’t take the ball to the basket and appeared to be aloof from his teammates.

He has a lot of talent; perhaps he will land in the right spot.

4/05/2023 6:31 am  #3

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

No big loss. Didn’t play defense, perimeter player who didn’t take the ball to the basket and appeared to be aloof from his teammates.

He has a lot of talent; perhaps he will land in the right spot.

I agree with what you said.  He did not seem to fit in the team chemistry.  I wish him well in his next choice.
We now have 4 scholarships available if I am not mistaken.

4/05/2023 8:41 am  #4

Bsduq2008 wrote:

Duquesne guard Quincy McGriff has entered the transfer portal

McGriff averaged 5.3 points, 1.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists @TheAthleticCBB

https://twitter.com/tobias_bass/status/1643415531351859200?s=46&t=ZmrUQMkETa9a0DheWYcK-QI

While I hate to see anyone leave the program, I would agree that losing McGriff is way more benign than the loss of some of our other players. I wish him well as he seeks a landing spot where he will get considerably more PT.
Just how many scholies do we have available as things stand at the moment.?

4/05/2023 9:19 am  #5

Good luck - I enjoyed watching you play.  May your 3rd school provide you with what you are looking for.

4/05/2023 9:38 am  #6

I liked him, he was hot or cold, but still has a couple years to get better.   
Hopefully this is only a trickle, and not the first drops of a wave

Counting Carney now, I see us at 9 players, including Barba too.   So 4 scholarships, plus whatever magic they can do with numbers?

Last edited by townsonkid (4/05/2023 9:40 am)

4/05/2023 10:34 pm  #7

townsonkid wrote:

Counting Carney now, I see us at 9 players, including Barba too.   So 4 scholarships, plus whatever magic they can do with numbers?

I think losing Q hurts.  He was one of the few options we had at PG who had size.  He had a big upside and could fill the basket.  He was raw but there was time for him to develop.  I agree that if I had to pick 1 of Dae Dae, Jimmy, Chabi, or Dixon to transfer i would settle for losing him but it still hurts.  Do we think the the LaSalle brothers are a better option than Q?  i'm not sure.

4/05/2023 11:09 pm  #8

Q's positional size, shooting, athleticism, passing, experience in KD's system, winning experience at the juco level, & 2 remaining years of eligibility make him a loss for me.

His going is not a crushing blow but, the boxes he checked are not often found on the Bluff.

4/06/2023 9:46 am  #9

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I think losing Q hurts.  He was one of the few options we had at PG who had size.  He had a big upside and could fill the basket.  He was raw but there was time for him to develop.  I agree that if I had to pick 1 of Dae Dae, Jimmy, Chabi, or Dixon to transfer i would settle for losing him but it still hurts.  Do we think the the LaSalle brothers are a better option than Q?  i'm not sure.

Losing McGriff is bigger than adding the 2 LaSalle players.   Net loss for the Dukes IMO.   And now one less scholarship.   But I dont know anything.   Just an observer.

4/06/2023 11:58 am  #10

townsonkid wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Losing McGriff is bigger than adding the 2 LaSalle players.   Net loss for the Dukes IMO.   And now one less scholarship.   But I dont know anything.   Just an observer.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree. I think the defense and rebounding we added will overshadow whatever McGriff was doing. I think Hronsky might be taking over McGriff's role.

4/06/2023 12:38 pm  #11

WashPa I am in agreement with you and others who are not too concerned about losing McGriff.  I liked the Crime Dog, and he did really help at times, but we need to continually upgrade and I do think the twins give us that to a decent extent in the areas discussed.  McGriff is really a 2 guard and with Clark and Carney that spot was getting crowded.  We need more true 3's and I think the twins give us that and they can also fit in at the 4 if we go small.  

4/06/2023 1:25 pm  #12

PistolPete wrote:

WashPa I am in agreement with you and others who are not too concerned about losing McGriff.  I liked the Crime Dog, and he did really help at times, but we need to continually upgrade and I do think the twins give us that to a decent extent in the areas discussed.  McGriff is really a 2 guard and with Clark and Carney that spot was getting crowded.  We need more true 3's and I think the twins give us that and they can also fit in at the 4 if we go small.  

I very much agree. We needed at least replacements for Reese and Gunn. At this point the twins are as good or better then the departing players. I think its a solid pick-up. With 4 possible players yet to be named, I think we can likely land one or two to have an impact on next year. KD needs to just find them.

4/06/2023 4:09 pm  #13

WashPaRick wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

I'm gonna respectfully disagree. I think the defense and rebounding we added will overshadow whatever McGriff was doing. I think Hronsky might be taking over McGriff's role.

I hope you are right about the twins.  I just don't see the twins as difference makers and I saw Q becoming that.  I know Q had defensive lapses last season but who didn't?  Q could score in bunches and I think was only going to get better at it.  Lets hope KD finds a proper replacement for Q from the portal.  The twins have played long enough in Div I that, if they weren't difference makers on a mediocre at best Lasalle team with a better coach than ours there is no reason to believe they will take a major step forward at this point in their career. 

4/06/2023 6:56 pm  #14

I think Mcgriff got a raw deal. But in fairness to Coach Dambrot maybe he knew Mcgriff was entering the portal halfway during the season. Who knows. But I liked this kid over the other two SMALL sized point guards who were  a defensive liability over the pick & roll at the elbow. Please get a point guard over 5”8😤

4/07/2023 12:40 pm  #15

I am totally with you on the PG Iron D!!

4/13/2023 7:12 pm  #16

Quincy has committed to the University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA) - Conference USA.  Best wishes to him.
https://twitter.com/quincy_mcgriff/status/1646652607522324480

4/14/2023 2:40 pm  #17

Also saw Spears entered the portal. Whatever team takes him good luck. Not exactly a team player. Good point guards distribute the ball. Dambrot needs a big time point guard.

Board footera