Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2023 4:49 pm  #1

4/11/2023 6:01 pm  #2

Re: Devin Carney in Portal

Wish him all the best.  Don’t know if he would have seen much playing time this year.

Hope he finds a successful home!

Go Dukes!

4/11/2023 6:32 pm  #3

I'm very disappointed to hear this. We can't even get a good prospect to play 1 minute.
Does anybody know anything more about this?
To me this is a real bummer.
Hope I'm over reacting!!

Last edited by El Presidente (4/11/2023 6:33 pm)

4/11/2023 7:22 pm  #4

Years ago, before the transfer portal, this would have been
disappointing.
Good luck to Charney.
We got Grant and Brewer through the transfer portal both of whom
turned out to be good players and could be considered  equal to or better than Spears and Johnson.
I wouldn't be surprised that KD has a guard in mind as Charney's replacement.

4/11/2023 7:59 pm  #5

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1645947389427982338 A bunch of schools have already reached out to him

4/11/2023 10:29 pm  #6

I was always curious regarding the fit with the Dukes. Devin was heading Elon before decommiting after their coach was replaced. Perhaps they took a shot on him because he was local and thought he could develop into a A10 caliber player - a reach. After practicing a year against some real quality A10 guards on the Bluff, perhaps he realized that he needed to drop down a bit in quality. And as you see from the offers, that’s where he will end up - a lower conference than the A10. Best wishes to him.

4/12/2023 9:02 am  #7

This is not good news.  EVERYBODY agreed this kid could shoot.  He was a local winner to boot.  I saw plenty of playing time available for him this year with Brewer and Q being gone.  It appears other A-10 schools as well as power 5 schools are showing interest so it's clear he was a fit for this level of competition.  He must have either been shown the door or inferred he was not in the plans (which is really the same thing.)  I will wait to see how things shake out before making a judgement but i'm not going to pretend this is a non event.  

4/12/2023 10:59 am  #8

Yup, local kid, 6'1'' PG capabilities, and could score.   Exactly what everyone wants us to add.   Now it becomes crucial.   Maybe he knows something we dont about the roster.   I was looking forward to seeing what he could bring to the table.   

4/12/2023 11:40 am  #9

Styles1229 wrote:

This is not good news.  EVERYBODY agreed this kid could shoot.  He was a local winner to boot.  I saw plenty of playing time available for him this year with Brewer and Q being gone.  It appears other A-10 schools as well as power 5 schools are showing interest so it's clear he was a fit for this level of competition.  He must have either been shown the door or inferred he was not in the plans (which is really the same thing.)  I will wait to see how things shake out before making a judgement but i'm not going to pretend this is a non event.  

I find these kind of posts very confusing. Who is saying this is good news? (Besides what Carney implies in his own tweet)?  Who is EVERYBODY? There is no evidence one way or the other that he could shoot at the college level.  Who is pretending this is a non event? Why is it that anytime we don't know spit about something, it must be something negative or sinister? I just don't get it. Oh, and by the way, you made several judgements without waiting to see how things shake out

Last edited by MikeR (4/12/2023 11:49 am)

4/12/2023 12:15 pm  #10

MikeR wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

I find these kind of posts very confusing. Who is saying this is good news? (Besides what Carney implies in his own tweet)?  Who is EVERYBODY? There is no evidence one way or the other that he could shoot at the college level.  Who is pretending this is a non event? Why is it that anytime we don't know spit about something, it must be something negative or sinister? I just don't get it. Oh, and by the way, you made several judgements without waiting to see how things shake out

I'm saying it's not good news.   I didn't say anyone said it was good news.  EVERYBODY is referring to quotes from KD and his staff even during the season saying he might be the best shooter on the team.  Sports writers wrote about him often saying what a great shooter he was.  I'm not going to waste time looking for these quotes.  If you follow this team the one thing you heard about Carney is that he could shoot.  I'm not accusing anyone of saying it is a non event but by lack of posters commenting it appears more of a non event then eventful.  Where do I imply it is sinister?  It's negative in the sense that a local young man chose to attend Duquesne and in under a year has decided to leave.  I may have made a judgement or two but I AM reserving judgement on if this is a failure of our coaches/program.  DC may turn out to be a bad college player.  If so, good move by our staff.  He could go to UMASS and win A-10 POY.  I would judge that to be a failure.  Is this less confusing?

4/12/2023 12:50 pm  #11

Styles1229 wrote:

MikeR wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

I'm saying it's not good news.   I didn't say anyone said it was good news.  EVERYBODY is referring to quotes from KD and his staff even during the season saying he might be the best shooter on the team.  Sports writers wrote about him often saying what a great shooter he was.  I'm not going to waste time looking for these quotes.  If you follow this team the one thing you heard about Carney is that he could shoot.  I'm not accusing anyone of saying it is a non event but by lack of posters commenting it appears more of a non event then eventful.  Where do I imply it is sinister?  It's negative in the sense that a local young man chose to attend Duquesne and in under a year has decided to leave.  I may have made a judgement or two but I AM reserving judgement on if this is a failure of our coaches/program.  DC may turn out to be a bad college player.  If so, good move by our staff.  He could go to UMASS and win A-10 POY.  I would judge that to be a failure.  Is this less confusing?

Yes, less confusing. I must be missing the positive connotations of the phrase "shown the door".

4/12/2023 4:14 pm  #12

I wish him good luck.  This is not a big loss...honest.
Go Dukes!

4/12/2023 5:21 pm  #13

Styles1229 wrote:

Are you referring to ONE TWEET from something called “The portal report” when you cite Power 5 interest? The tweet said he has “heard” from 13 schools. One is Vanderbilt, one is UMASS, and the rest are significantly lesser programs. Who do you think gave this Twitter profile this information, it is the player dude.

One phone call does not equal interest. An offer equals interest, and I bet you he doesn’t get one from Vandy.

The kid couldn’t even make the playing roster this year on this team and you are suggesting there is any likelihood that he will go to UMASS and be the A10 player of the year?!

Maceo Austin was apparently receiving “interest” from Virginia out of high school and was a true 3 star recruit, a much higher profile recruit than this kid. He came here and didn’t cut it, and is now going to be playing at Slippery Rock.

The western PA area has been lite on talent for awhile now, and here is another kid who was overhyped. He was going to be going to ELON, another lesser program. There is no conclusion to make from this other than he wasn’t good enough.

Do you think they red shirted him, even though he had some great potential and could have contributed this year? If he was good enough, he would have been playing.

If 5’9” Kareem Rozier can play as much as he did as a freshman, then there is no argument that this was some mistake. He’s not good enough.

This is now the free agency era of college sports. If you want to be successful you better shift the dead wood out as fast as a kid with promise will leave you high and dry and focus on your roster in one year increments, or you will be out in the cold.

We have to take off our Pittsburgh tinted glasses on this one. Scoring 30 for Butler high school guarantees you nothing at the major D 1 level in any sport.

Hope we can fill his scholarship with someone who can get more than 0 minutes on the floor like him.

4/13/2023 10:41 am  #14

Duques102 wrote:

Styles1229 wrote:

Are you referring to ONE TWEET from something called “The portal report” when you cite Power 5 interest? The tweet said he has “heard” from 13 schools. One is Vanderbilt, one is UMASS, and the rest are significantly lesser programs. Who do you think gave this Twitter profile this information, it is the player dude.

One phone call does not equal interest. An offer equals interest, and I bet you he doesn’t get one from Vandy.

The kid couldn’t even make the playing roster this year on this team and you are suggesting there is any likelihood that he will go to UMASS and be the A10 player of the year?!

Maceo Austin was apparently receiving “interest” from Virginia out of high school and was a true 3 star recruit, a much higher profile recruit than this kid. He came here and didn’t cut it, and is now going to be playing at Slippery Rock.

The western PA area has been lite on talent for awhile now, and here is another kid who was overhyped. He was going to be going to ELON, another lesser program. There is no conclusion to make from this other than he wasn’t good enough.

Do you think they red shirted him, even though he had some great potential and could have contributed this year? If he was good enough, he would have been playing.

If 5’9” Kareem Rozier can play as much as he did as a freshman, then there is no argument that this was some mistake. He’s not good enough.

This is now the free agency era of college sports. If you want to be successful you better shift the dead wood out as fast as a kid with promise will leave you high and dry and focus on your roster in one year increments, or you will be out in the cold.

We have to take off our Pittsburgh tinted glasses on this one. Scoring 30 for Butler high school guarantees you nothing at the major D 1 level in any sport.

Hope we can fill his scholarship with someone who can get more than 0 minutes on the floor like him.

Wow, Dude.  You seem passionately confident that Devin Carney was a bad recruit with no future in mid to high level D1 basketball based solely on the fact that he was redshirted and that Maceo Austin, a recruit from a geographically similar area, did not pan out.  You may be right but just because he was redshirted does not mean he could not cut it at this level.  Kids are redshirted for different reasons.  He was barely on campus before his red shirt.  There is no way they decided he was a bust that quick.  My guess is that there was depth at guard so they didn't want him to waste a year of eligibility on the bench behind more tenured players.  Perhaps Kareem was the more natural PG of the two players and a PG was needed more than a SG so that is why he was not redshirted instead   And the fact that Maceo struggled has no bearing whatsoever on Devin's capabilities.  Devin's teammate went to Purdue and Maceo's teammate was POY in College Basketball (granted he did not grow up in western Pa.)  Western Pa has been light on recruits but that doesn't mean Devin can't/won't pan out.  

"This is now the free agency era of college sports. If you want to be successful you better shift the dead wood out as fast as a kid with promise will leave you high and dry and focus on your roster in one year increments, or you will be out in the cold."   Now,I, 100%, agree with this statement.  I just hope they know what they had in Devin if they decided he needed to go.  That is my only point.  

4/13/2023 11:03 am  #15

I am with FAN and 102 on this one and especially since I don't really worry about how good a kid is or will be if he never played a game for the Dukes.  I too agree that no matter what if DC was really special he would have been playing this past season.  

4/13/2023 3:29 pm  #16

I do have a concern regarding the evaluation by the staff of HS seniors. I do realize that it's not an exact science and there are many such players that do not work out but my confidence level is running on low at this point that KD and staff are particularly adept at evaluating younger talent. Over the years there have been many HS or prep school players who have never made good here and lasted a very short time in the program. Not going to document them all here but a general perception and concern of the aforementioned.

Last edited by El Presidente (4/13/2023 3:30 pm)

4/13/2023 3:54 pm  #17

El P - you are correct.  With that said, the turn of culture with the portal has made high school players directly out of those institutions, less and less needed.  Those players, unless top 50 in the country which never come to Duquesne anyhow, are the ones disadvantaged with the portal culture.  Teams like Duquesne can evaluate talent based on more film, more experience, and more information on how they did in college.  So hopefully, less mistakes as again, the top high school players aren't coming here anyhow.  We can see players who were very good, but didn't get a chance to play as much as they wanted in their current schools.  Though there will be a lot of turnover, I believe it will help teams like Duquesne. 

4/13/2023 4:09 pm  #18

Your point is well taken, FAM. The portal, in fact, is beneficial to the Dukes in that it actually makes the evaluation of younger players less relevant which seems to be a particular Achilles heel here. The more we stay away from HS and prep players, the better off we will be. Let's hope they do so and not waste schollies on players that will not be here very long.

5/03/2023 6:57 pm  #19

5/04/2023 7:58 am  #20

Best wishes to the local young man. I believe that he is back to a team and conference (Summit League) where he can compete and potentially excel. Very similar level to Elon (CAA) to which he committed out of Butler HS.

Board footera