Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2023 12:38 pm  #1

Duke’s hit ceiling with Rooney Field

After following Duquesne for a long time, I’ve had a number of what seemed to be wishes for the program realized but the biggest of all still sitting there unrealized and weighing the program down like an anchor.

First, the positives:
- The better conference and at least limited scholarships.  They have a real chance each year to win the NEC and make the Playoffs and have even beat teams like Towson and played William and Mary to the wire.
- A schedule that is more that competitive.  WVU, FSU and now Pitt on the horizon is an amazing upgrade.   We outplayed Hawaii last year and should have taken our second D 1 win.

Now, the EASILY CORRECTED UNFULFILLED WISH.
- Play a big game or two at the Highmark.   Rooney is the SMALLEST stadium in all D 1/1AA and is a real turn off for recruiting players and a potential fan base.   Highmark is amazing and will not look cavernous if not sold out.

And oh yeah... Duquesne has a music school.   Bring back the band.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

4/06/2023 6:25 pm  #2

Re: Duke’s hit ceiling with Rooney Field

I agree with your positives and someone for the love of his bring back the band. 

The Riverhounds to the best of my knowledge do not want to rent to football teams any longer.   Central Catholic used to play 2 - 6A “home” games there for about 5 years in a row.  They do not any longer. And have not since the Riverhounds became good. 

The reason this is the heart of the last 25% of their season and playoffs  and they don’t want football lines painted on the turf.   And taken off and painted on and scrubbed off. 

That’s what I was told.

4/07/2023 6:26 pm  #3

When Amodio killed the band, he got rid of everything. Instruments, uniforms, everything’s gone. Which really is awful. Uniforms are a meaningful expense, and of course instruments are too. The average student might own a saxophone, but likely does not own a sousaphone.

The program was never under the music school but rather the athletic department. And frankly the appeal of that school for many is that it has a conservatory model. You would find a lower-than-expected number of students interested in such a program and the music school would not feel that there is an academic relevance to the program. Even amongst the music ed students, who might be most open to such an endeavor, the majority of my classmates were vocalists, pianists, and string players - not band instruments.

You can feel about that how you will, but I’m just sharing what I know of the school as an alum.

I too would like the band back but there’s more nuance to making it happen.

Last edited by Face (4/07/2023 6:37 pm)

5/11/2023 8:47 pm  #4

DuqBlue wrote:

I agree with your positives and someone for the love of his bring back the band. 

The Riverhounds to the best of my knowledge do not want to rent to football teams any longer.   Central Catholic used to play 2 - 6A “home” games there for about 5 years in a row.  They do not any longer. And have not since the Riverhounds became good. 

The reason this is the heart of the last 25% of their season and playoffs  and they don’t want football lines painted on the turf.   And taken off and painted on and scrubbed off. 

That’s what I was told.

I went to The Highmark Stadium site and it states  “line painting and field goal installation are subject to additional fees”.

I’d suggest at least one high profile game there rather than all and having to wax on wax off for a higher number of games.   Kinda the way we’d hopefully use PPG in basketball.  YSU may travel here.

Last edited by coffee (5/11/2023 9:06 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

5/24/2023 4:20 pm  #5

To "satisfy" the Riverhounds maybe an approach of we will help your cause to go bigger and help pay for and add the additional seats/amenities to the complex and be second on the list for Highmark? Essentially just have to schedule around soccer here and there. But use anything that would be used at Rooney, which you can't really do anyways, and pump some dollars and make an affordable agreement. Nothing too high rent and help add a stand on the building side. This is actually in the design of Highmark to be able to add seating in an around the building structure and maybe a little higher rows riverside. Yes money is money but if PCC can rent for a few games the Dukes should be able to for up to 4 games and maybe even some soccer games or other events. 

It has been years but I thoughr maybe it was Cal PA band that was essentially a "club" band. Realistically maybe a way to earn credits if the school allows. If anything some instrumentation could be donated or have a program to attract HS students that could volunteer and join as a gateway activity to the university. 

I have probably asked this before and even try other boards. I know it comes down to "$" and trying ot make or not lose as much but one thing, and related to the bigger divisions with realignment, why can't there be an arrangement particularly with Olympic sports similar to what the NEC football conference is. No disrespect but lets be honest it is less scholarship football essentially on par with higher level PSAC football whom are not even the best in d2. But the "bell cows" are in mid major basketball. They were grandfathered in to have fcs football but without the "YSU" level commitment. There are others like this. But with Olympic sports can the same be done. Baseball is what I miss but can they have a "lower" scholarshi d1 level conference that is "independent" of  NEC, A10 etc. Just agree to a lesser scholarship level that would be acceptable like you do for football. I like the NEC model. it gives you a chance still. You may have less lottery balls in the machine but you can get into the dance. With all of the bigger conference issues and looming cuts why not be able to regionalize these sports. Let the kids get early season treats to "Florida" etc but make softball/baseball a bus league once the season begins with like minded financial budgeting. This can help keep Title 9 if anything keep I.E. softball fully scholarship but baseball less scholarship and cost to keep things equal. You should be able to save money and overcost to be able to field something. I guess in summary  what makes this work with A10 letting football play in NEC or vice versa. I know for A10 they do not sponsor football anyway so that makes it easier. This anomaly also happens alot in soccer. Akron whom is MAC through and through plays in the Big East now. the MAC dropped soccer but as an alternative clusters of relatively unrelated teams in other sports join for sensible enough regional travel. 

Board footera