Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2023 9:07 am  #1

list of Dukes?

anybody want to help me out and post a list of players on the current roster and their likely position?  i'm starting to get confused...

5/25/2023 11:06 am  #2

Re: list of Dukes?

Dusan Mahorcic
Andrei Savrasov
Jimmy "Tre" Clark III
Dae Dae Grant
Hassan Drame
Fousseyni Drame
Tre Williams
Andy Barba
David Dixon
Halil Barre
Kareem Rozier
Matúš Hronský
Kailon Nicholls
Lucas Perusak
Jake DiMichele
Ethan Anish

5/25/2023 12:52 pm  #3

townsonkid wrote:

Dusan Mahorcic
Andrei Savrasov
Jimmy "Tre" Clark III
Dae Dae Grant
Hassan Drame
Fousseyni Drame
Tre Williams
Andy Barba
David Dixon
Halil Barre
Kareem Rozier
Matúš Hronský
Kailon Nicholls
Lucas Perusak
Jake DiMichele
Ethan Anish

thanks  seems like a lot of players.  wonder how many are on scholarship

5/25/2023 1:09 pm  #4

the last 2 are walk-ons for sure.   Not sure about Perusak, some think he might be too.

5/25/2023 6:44 pm  #5

townsonkid wrote:

the last 2 are walk-ons for sure.   Not sure about Perusak, some think he might be too.

16 names on there -13 scholarships to give out.  So 3 have to be walk ons at least.   If there are 3 walk ons then that means we are done recruiting?

5/26/2023 8:56 am  #6

This list makes me a little nervous for next season. The combination of knowing that 7 of the top 10 players will be out of eligibility along with the increased likelihood of portal surfing for Dixon, Chabi, & Matus after strong sophomore seasons with moderate amounts of playing time has me worried about keeping things moving in the right direction for years to come.

5/26/2023 12:26 pm  #7

Phil:
Why so negative?  You tend to scratch before you become itching!  Can't you just relax and enjoy the present.  KD and his staff know how to replenish the needed supply of players.  Grammy

Last edited by grammudder (5/26/2023 12:27 pm)

5/26/2023 1:43 pm  #8

Let's get in the tourney and then reload with the portal again.

5/26/2023 2:20 pm  #9

grammudder wrote:

Phil:
Why so negative?  You tend to scratch before you become itching!  Can't you just relax and enjoy the present.  KD and his staff know how to replenish the needed supply of players.  Grammy

There is not one note of negativity in my post. This is a forum for discussion of DU basketball & this is a thought that occurred to me after seeing the squad all listed in one place.

Many of the posts you make, in my opinion, tend to the naive & rude; just like this one. Have I ever brought that up?

If you want to discuss the content of my posts, that's great. Please move the discussion forward.

However, if you want to point out ways in which you have interpreted the tenor or emotional intent of my posts because they don't conform to your ideals, you can expect me to respond accordingly. Mostly, that will be ignoring you & your ilk but, once in a great while, I am going to point out your boorish sentiments.

Can't you just relax & let other posters have their say?

5/30/2023 10:35 am  #10

Do we all think this is the final list?  16 is a lot.  I can't imagine we'd add another player.  If so, I have to believe the plan is for Jimmy Clark to be our starting PG but moving around to get Kareem in the game as more than just a back - up 10-12 mins a game.  KD recruited too many long, big 3/4 spot players to start Kareem, Dae Dae, and Jimmy don't you think?  Anybody have thoughts about this?  We did not land the proven vet PG we all pined for so i'm curious what you think the plan is. 

5/30/2023 12:34 pm  #11

Styles1229 wrote:

Do we all think this is the final list?  16 is a lot.  I can't imagine we'd add another player.  If so, I have to believe the plan is for Jimmy Clark to be our starting PG but moving around to get Kareem in the game as more than just a back - up 10-12 mins a game.  KD recruited too many long, big 3/4 spot players to start Kareem, Dae Dae, and Jimmy don't you think?  Anybody have thoughts about this?  We did not land the proven vet PG we all pined for so i'm curious what you think the plan is. 

I definitely think this will not be a season with a lot of 3-guards-on-the-floor. The skills and depth in the frontcourt need to be utilized. 

5/30/2023 12:42 pm  #12

You raise some interesting questions Styles. I don't think DU is done recruiting.  Last year DU started the season with 17 players counting walk-ons and Kevin Easley.  I think from the activity we have seen that KD is still trying to bring in a big guard.  The Dukes just missed out on Moore who went to Grand Canyon. Again, just a guess on my part.

While KD picked up some really nice experienced players to shore up our front court, there are two recruiting needs that were not met in my opinion.  One, was getting a bigger experience point guard who could score and defend to replace Brewer., and a big shooting guard that could drive the ball to replace McGriff.  Maybe he can still get a big point guard to fill both of those roles, we will see. However, back to your comment, I agree that playing either Jimmy or Grant at the point would allow KD to put his best players on the court at the same time. I really believe that Savrasov should be our starting SF.  I think he will dominate at this position with his strength, quickness, and shooting.  Although he could play the power forward spot, there are other options for the Dukes.  To make this happen and still have Clark and Grant on the floor one of them has to play the point.   At this time here would be my starting line up.

Clark, Grant, Savrasov, F Drame & Mahorcic. 
next 5 if we get a new SG
Rozier, New SG, Hronsky, Williams, Dixon

5/30/2023 4:06 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

You raise some interesting questions Styles. I don't think DU is done recruiting.  Last year DU started the season with 17 players counting walk-ons and Kevin Easley.  I think from the activity we have seen that KD is still trying to bring in a big guard.  The Dukes just missed out on Moore who went to Grand Canyon. Again, just a guess on my part.

While KD picked up some really nice experienced players to shore up our front court, there are two recruiting needs that were not met in my opinion.  One, was getting a bigger experience point guard who could score and defend to replace Brewer., and a big shooting guard that could drive the ball to replace McGriff.  Maybe he can still get a big point guard to fill both of those roles, we will see. However, back to your comment, I agree that playing either Jimmy or Grant at the point would allow KD to put his best players on the court at the same time. I really believe that Savrasov should be our starting SF.  I think he will dominate at this position with his strength, quickness, and shooting.  Although he could play the power forward spot, there are other options for the Dukes.  To make this happen and still have Clark and Grant on the floor one of them has to play the point.   At this time here would be my starting line up.

Clark, Grant, Savrasov, F Drame & Mahorcic. 
next 5 if we get a new SG
Rozier, New SG, Hronsky, Williams, Dixon

I like that starting 5 except I'm going to have to see about this Drame guy.  I know it's an unpopular opinion but I still like Tre Williams - Drame will have to show me is the better option.  I especially like that, with this depth at the 3/4, when the bad Tre is rearing it's head we have multiple options to fill in.  This will be Tre's 3rd year in the A-10 - I think that experience will pay some dividends this season.  

5/30/2023 5:42 pm  #14

I love Savrasov as the starting SF. It is entirely plausible that he will be the team's most productive all-around player.

I know that Jimmy & Dae Dae with Savrasov or Matus in the lineup is more than plenty of ball handling & an acceptable amount of play making. However, I don't feel like Jimmy has demonstrated the basketball IQ or temperament to run a Top 50-60 team. I see his mostly amazing energy wax & wane too often based on emotions. He also seems to lack the discipline that makes great PGs great; too many silly fouls & unnecessary defensive risks.

Jimmy is setup for a great senior season. I say let him be what he is best at even if he thinks he is something else.

5/30/2023 5:45 pm  #15

Also, I want Dixon to FORCE KD to start him over either Drame or Tre Williams.

5/31/2023 3:28 pm  #16

Where’s Barre in all this prognostication?

6/01/2023 7:21 am  #17

phil95 wrote:

This list makes me a little nervous for next season. The combination of knowing that 7 of the top 10 players will be out of eligibility along with the increased likelihood of portal surfing for Dixon, Chabi, & Matus after strong sophomore seasons with moderate amounts of playing time has me worried about keeping things moving in the right direction for years to come.

I had a similar concern as Phil.  As excited as I am with the new recruits, I was also concerned by the lack of high impact Freshmen.  Maybe I'm slow to adjust to the portal era, but I had hoped that when the Dukes became good, it would be the result of consistently recruiting quality Freshmen who play here 4 years. It seems that any F or So who is an elite talent will look to transfer.

Trying to view the new system more optimistically, they have certainly found a way to exploit the "free agency" era the last 2 years.  In addition, a top 4 finish would seem to make Duquesne a more attractive option for elite Freshmen, so maybe they can benefit both ways, portal and Freshmen.

6/01/2023 8:06 am  #18

The portal giveth, and the portal taketh away.

6/01/2023 9:05 am  #19

Mike Ignelsi wrote:

Where’s Barre in all this prognostication?

I see Barre and Dixon splitting time at the 5 until the big guy from NC State is ready to play.  If the NC State guy (Mahorcic?) is ready to play early and often I see a 25/15 minute split per game between he and Barre and Dixon working in the 4 spot.  That said, the way big guys get banged up and foul trouble etc I really just see a constant rotation of all our bigs in various roles at different times

6/01/2023 8:04 pm  #20

Does this list look correct? thanks for any corrections.
Senior Dusan Mahorcic (GR)   6\10   C 
Soph Abdou-Halil Barre             6\9    F  
SophDavid Dixon                       6\9    F
SophMatus Hronsky                   6\8   F
SeniorTre Williams                      6\7   F
SeniorFousseyni Drame (GR)     6\7   F
SeniorHassan Drame (GR)          6\7  F
SeniorAndrei Savrasov (GR)        6\7  F
SophAndy Barba (RS)                   6\6 F
SeniorTre Clark                             6\3 G
FJake DiMichele                           6\3 G
FLucas Perusak                            6\2  G
SeniorDae Dae Grant                  6\2   G
FEthan Anish                               6\1   G
FKailon Nicholls                           6\0 G
SophKareem Rozier                   5\9  G

Last edited by dcdukesfan (6/01/2023 8:13 pm)

6/02/2023 5:40 am  #21

I was also hoping they could bring in a veteran PG.  I’m not a proponent of trying to get by with a 2-guard playing the point for extended periods of time.  The Dukes also used full-court pressure at times last season to swing momentum in several games. They’ll need to be able to rotate guards to do that again.  Assuming Kareem gets Brewer’s minutes at PG would they be counting on Kailon Nichols, the freshman to fill the roll of Kareem last year, coming off the bench to play 10-15 minutes per game?  I don’t know enough about Nichols to say if that is a legitimate option.  I think it is rare for a freshman to come in and handle that kind of responsibility at PG.

6/02/2023 11:21 am  #22

These lists are very helpful for thinking about how the team may function as a unit.

Given Rozier's size & Nicholls youth, having just 4 scholarship guards on the roster is a bit scary. Time for the addition of a larger, seasoned starting PG is running out but, I remain hopeful.

I am hoping to soon read an optimistic article about Hronsky having worked himself into being a much better ballhandler & consistent 3pt shooter to add depth to the backcourt.

7/11/2023 7:36 am  #23

https://twitter.com/hoopsnut351/status/1678422934531055617?s=46&t=191ZUNi8sIHtfeenlUF9rg

On Twitter, there is a string involving Tristan Freeman who has covered college basketball and the Dukes for Busting Brackets and lives in Pittsburgh. This started out with a list of schools having the most players (7) in their last year of eligibility; list included Duquesne. He mentioned that there might be an 8th pending an NCAA decision. This decision appears to be about Joe Reece. In addition, he mentions that Mahorcic, Barre and Dixon are all recovering from injuries so Duquesne doesn’t have a healthy center at this moment.

A bit to unpack here.

7/11/2023 8:59 am  #24

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

https://twitter.com/hoopsnut351/status/1678422934531055617?s=46&t=191ZUNi8sIHtfeenlUF9rg

On Twitter, there is a string involving Tristan Freeman who has covered college basketball and the Dukes for Busting Brackets and lives in Pittsburgh. This started out with a list of schools having the most players (7) in their last year of eligibility; list included Duquesne. He mentioned that there might be an 8th pending an NCAA decision. This decision appears to be about Joe Reece. In addition, he mentions that Mahorcic, Barre and Dixon are all recovering from injuries so Duquesne doesn’t have a healthy center at this moment.

A bit to unpack here.

Phoenix, the way I took the conversation was that Tristan was speculating on Reece.  Tristan said the following when I said that I thought that the NCAA had turned down Reece's request for a waiver: "Players can appeal if they want. Not sure if he went that route but figured he would."

I would love to see Reece get an extra year, but I highly doubt he will.  Moreover, I really want to see Dixon and Barre get major minutes this year.  

7/11/2023 10:23 am  #25

CLK wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

A bit to unpack here.

Phoenix, the way I took the conversation was that Tristan was speculating on Reece.  Tristan said the following when I said that I thought that the NCAA had turned down Reece's request for a waiver: "Players can appeal if they want. Not sure if he went that route but figured he would."

I would love to see Reece get an extra year, but I highly doubt he will.  Moreover, I really want to see Dixon and Barre get major minutes this year.  

Thanks for following up with Tristan, CLK.  

Board footera