Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/03/2023 11:34 am  #1

On The Record

After Covid there was little interest in offering the fabulous prize of a no expense paid trip to McKeesport, Pa.  Therefore, there will be no contest.  However, everyone is welcome to get on the record with their predictions.  

There are a total of 13 non-conference games and 18 League games.  My prediction is that the Dukes will go 12-1 in the non-conference, and 15-3 in the Conference to win the A10 regular season championship. 

PREDICT the Dukes to sweep A10 Tourney and get back to the NCAA for the first time since 1977.

11/03/2023 11:46 am  #2

Re: On The Record

11-2   non-conference
14-4   A-10
No further amplification other than I feel that I may be sticking my neck out here just a bit.
BTW I lived in McKeesport most of my life until I got married to a lady from Upper St. Clair 14 years ago. That ended that residency.!!

GO DUKES!!!!

Last edited by El Presidente (11/03/2023 11:48 am)

11/03/2023 12:48 pm  #3

I predict 9 wins and 4 losses in the OOC.
12W and 6L in A-10 play.
I think many here will think that's too pessimistic and I hope they are right.  Once again, there are plenty of new players, along with a few injury concerns. How healthy these men remain and how well they mesh on the court will have a lot to do with the results. If Mahorcic in particular can play like his pre-injury self, i think he'll be a big difference maker.  I am excited about the upcoming season and do believe the Dukes have the talent to challenge for the A-10 title.  Just need a few things to go our way and my predictions can be thrown out the window.
Let's Go Dukes!

11/03/2023 4:11 pm  #4

Tony84 wrote:

I predict 9 wins and 4 losses in the OOC.
12W and 6L in A-10 play.
I think many here will think that's too pessimistic and I hope they are right.  Once again, there are plenty of new players, along with a few injury concerns. How healthy these men remain and how well they mesh on the court will have a lot to do with the results. If Mahorcic in particular can play like his pre-injury self, i think he'll be a big difference maker.  I am excited about the upcoming season and do believe the Dukes have the talent to challenge for the A-10 title.  Just need a few things to go our way and my predictions can be thrown out the window.
Let's Go Dukes!

Very good view of what might happen if.  That's my low end of my range too, but for different reasons. KD has a lot of talent on this team this year, but very different styles of play  players, so much, that a very good coaching staff would vary the starting line-up to each team they face. Then, adjust as the game progresses, to both, stop the opponents runs,  and to re-adjust to those runs with better match-ups,and start our own runs. Top coaches do this. KD has the most tools in the tool chest this year. Coaching this year will either make your prediction true, or good coaching will win the A-10 and a decent run in the NCAA. This coaching staff has a very large impact on just how far this Dukes team goes. I'm looking for deep substitution and fast pace from those moves. We need to win the A-10 this year, it's just that simple. 40 plus years of not getting there has got to end this year. Just saying.

11/03/2023 4:27 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

After Covid there was little interest in offering the fabulous prize of a no expense paid trip to McKeesport, Pa.  Therefore, there will be no contest.  However, everyone is welcome to get on the record with their predictions.  

There are a total of 13 non-conference games and 18 League games.  My prediction is that the Dukes will go 12-1 in the non-conference, and 15-3 in the Conference to win the A10 regular season championship. 

PREDICT the Dukes to sweep A10 Tourney and get back to the NCAA for the first time since 1977.

This is my high end expectation. Just too many very good experienced players to not get there this year. But the coaching staff has to go deep on scouting and prepare each line-up to beat any style and match-up. KD, somehow, got the most experienced talent I have every seen, but, if we see the same starting line-up every game, and little or no timely substitutions, then all the talent in the world, sitting on the bench ain't going to do much. With this much talent, I hope to see fast pace offense and aggressive full court presser defense,with a steady stream of subs going in and out to both adjust to the flow of the game and to exhaust and confuse our opponent. There seems to be too much talent on this team to do anything else.

11/03/2023 4:46 pm  #6

We will have a winning record and get to the NIT.

11/03/2023 5:53 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

That is my fear. After KD promise of A-10 victory, and after no less than  7 years, we now lower our expectation to what RE already did on a dime of a budget, years ago? No, win now.

11/03/2023 9:25 pm  #8

NapaDuke wrote:

FAM wrote:

That is my fear. After KD promise of A-10 victory, and after no less than  7 years, we now lower our expectation to what RE already did on a dime of a budget, years ago? No, win now.

Ditto Napa... NCAA or bust. While I can still drive into the 'Burgh and find my way to the Forbes garage...
My prediction:
OOC 11-2
Conference  14-4
Win the regular season and the Tourney so there's no way they can keep us out of the NCAA's

Last edited by KenOTR73 (11/03/2023 9:32 pm)

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/04/2023 6:24 am  #9

10-3 OOC
13-5 A10

Looking forward to the much improved depth up front, defense and rebounding will improve, but hope there's enough minutes to keep everyone happy. As promising as the transfers are,I'd like to see Barre and especially Dixon establish themselves. I think the conerns about guard will be addressed by Kaillon Nicholls and his huge vertical leap and wing span.

https://twitter.com/balldontstop/status/1561767388101623808?t=N_nDGIqYcfKbBKqTmrKeAQ&s=19

Last edited by wharfrat (11/04/2023 6:27 am)

11/04/2023 8:24 am  #10

CLK wrote:

To quote Lucky Ned Pepper, that's bold talk for a ...
I'll go even bolder, 28-3.
I'll buy you lunch at the Eat N' Park on Lysle Boulevard if you're closer to the right number of wins than me. 

11/04/2023 11:21 am  #11

El Presidente wrote:

11-2   non-conference
14-4   A-10
No further amplification other than I feel that I may be sticking my neck out here just a bit.
BTW I lived in McKeesport most of my life until I got married to a lady from Upper St. Clair 14 years ago. That ended that residency.!!

GO DUKES!!!!

When I was a little kid McKeesport was of my favorite places,... McKeesport = Kennywood.  

11/04/2023 11:24 am  #12

VBC wrote:

CLK wrote:

I'll buy you lunch at the Eat N' Park on Lysle Boulevard if you're closer to the right number of wins than me. 

Eat N' Park another one of my favorite places.  Wonder if they still have the strawberry pie?

11/04/2023 1:30 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

Eat N' Park another one of my favorite places.  Wonder if they still have the strawberry pie?

Yes, in season usually starting in late April.

11/04/2023 6:17 pm  #14

Thanks Phoenix.  When the Dukes win the national championship in April strawberry pie for everybody!

11/05/2023 1:10 pm  #15

VBC wrote:

CLK wrote:

I am not making a prediction this year. Been burned to often, however I will state for a fact that if the Dukes go 28-3, I will treat every member of this board to a steak dinner at the site of our first round NCAA Tournament game where we will no doubt be a single digit seed!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/05/2023 2:33 pm  #16

I dont know what the Dukes record willl be.Hoping for the first game a rememberance ceremony be given
in  memory of Garry Nelson and Gary Major.Id like to see Dukes dressed in late 60s and early 70s team
uniforms.Hope Duquesne fans will show up and support the team.I already got tickets for the Dayton game
and try to keep Dayton fans watching game on their tv.Driving over from Columbus to see tomorrows game.
Go Bluffites.

11/05/2023 4:35 pm  #17

stew wrote:

I dont know what the Dukes record willl be.Hoping for the first game a rememberance ceremony be given
in  memory of Garry Nelson and Gary Major.Id like to see Dukes dressed in late 60s and early 70s team
uniforms.Hope Duquesne fans will show up and support the team.I already got tickets for the Dayton game
and try to keep Dayton fans watching game on their tv.Driving over from Columbus to see tomorrows game.
Go Bluffites.

Great suggestions. Garry Nelson was a big fan. I sat near him at games, some years back, you knew who he was, just by his size. Kind, polite, and didn't mind a hello from a fan. I didn't see Gary, but it would be great to at some point this year to honor our past. Both me and my wife are there tomorrow too. We met at DU and I dragged her to every game back in the early 70's. She really gets into the games each year, once she knows each player, then to her, it becomes personal. I wish the administration let students get in free to games, and with incentives like, after some home games,  have an after-game mixers with the team, just for those students,  then it becomes personal.  Then, to any of  these students the rest of their lives, it will become personal and they just might become life long fans. That's one way how you build a fan base from today's kids on campus. This year especially has a team so diverse and so much potential, it could help.

Last edited by NapaDuke (11/06/2023 9:16 am)

11/05/2023 11:04 pm  #18

Tejas_Duke wrote:

VBC wrote:

CLK wrote:

I am not making a prediction this year. Been burned to often, however I will state for a fact that if the Dukes go 28-3, I will treat every member of this board to a steak dinner at the site of our first round NCAA Tournament game where we will no doubt be a single digit seed!

We're probably looking at Spokane Washington. Never been there but for a free steak dinner (filet mignon not swiss steak) I'm there.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/06/2023 2:23 pm  #19

Noting that this is my prediction on what I think will happen not what I want to happen (because of course that would be 40-0 national champs), I'll say:
10-3 non-conference (including Chicago St. in January)
10-8 A-10
1-1 A-10 tournament
21-12 overall and sadly blackjack probably isn't good enough for even the NIT

I've been a Duquesne fan too long (though still not as long as most here) to allow myself any kind of high expectations. I'll be the happiest person here to lose this contest since I'm pretty sure my guess is the lowest yet.

Last edited by luckymcd (11/06/2023 2:24 pm)

11/06/2023 4:30 pm  #20

23-8 overall regular season.
Win 2 in A10T, 25-9
NIT bid, win 2 games there, 27-10 when all the dust settles.   

3/17/2024 3:59 pm  #21

luckymcd wrote:

Noting that this is my prediction on what I think will happen not what I want to happen (because of course that would be 40-0 national champs), I'll say:
10-8 A-10
1-1 A-10 tournament

I've been a Duquesne fan too long (though still not as long as most here) to allow myself any kind of high expectations. I'll be the happiest person here to lose this contest since I'm pretty sure my guess is the lowest yet.

Well I called the non-conference exactly. I called the A-10 regular season exactly. And like I said I'm thrilled to have been wrong about the tourney. I did get one thing right about the postseason though. We won't be going to the NIT.

3/17/2024 4:29 pm  #22

Well, CLK, you were closer than me so I'm buying at Eat N' Park.

3/17/2024 5:35 pm  #23

luckymcd wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

10-8 A-10
1-1 A-10 tournament

Well I called the non-conference exactly. I called the A-10 regular season exactly. And like I said I'm thrilled to have been wrong about the tourney. I did get one thing right about the postseason though. We won't be going to the NIT.

I don't remember if there was some kind of pool, but you prognostication was quite good, although things turned out even better. I hope you won at least a visit to Mckeesport or something.
Edit: Oops, forgot to read the above comments

Last edited by applecorps (3/17/2024 5:39 pm)

3/17/2024 6:00 pm  #24

VBC wrote:

Well, CLK, you were closer than me so I'm buying at Eat N' Park.

Thanks my friend.  I have been waiting for Strawberry pie all season. I am so happy for the coach, players and our longsuffering fan base.  Time to get on board for our NCAA run. Everyone invited to jump on the Duquesne Band Wagon.  Go Dukes! 

3/17/2024 6:08 pm  #25

luckymcd wrote:

10-8 A-10
1-1 A-10 tournament

Man that was such a great prediction, but so glad you were wrong. Go Dukes!

Board footera