Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2023 10:55 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Cleveland State University Vikings

WashPaRick wrote:

I know everyone was missing them but I'm not getting the ball to Dixon with 8 seconds left and up 1.

Thought the same thing. Unfortunately, the Dukes were somewhat uncomfortable with the zone press and needed to get the ball inbounds. 

11/06/2023 11:04 pm  #27

Just like last year, we have two great knock-down shooters and then, blah. CSU has the three great knock-down shooters. I know it was the first game but other than Jimmy and Dae Dae no one impressed me as that special shooter. Hopefully, someone emerges to make opposing defenses work that much harder..

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/06/2023 11:08 pm  #28

All wins are good.  I am happy.

11/06/2023 11:30 pm  #29

VBC wrote:

All wins are good.  I am happy.

Ask VCU or Michigan State if they would like to trade places. Good news tonight is that the A10 did go 11-1 on opening night  Dukes gutted one out.

11/06/2023 11:32 pm  #30

1111 Vickroy wrote:

How about the guy firing up the students who took his shirt off. I was waiting for him to go totally nude

I’m guessing that might have been our own “stew”.

11/07/2023 8:24 am  #31

Quick observations:
1. The three key players for Cleveland State could easily play in A10 and perhaps be stars.
2. Jimmy Clark has point guard chops - 8 assists. Keep the ball in his hands.
3. The bigger lineups played better.
4. The Drame Twins are a bundle of energy whose hard work was great to see.
5. David Dixon is a difference maker. Hope he gets fully healthy soon.
6. Lots of free throw shooting in practice needed this week.
7. Stew leading cheers  was awesome.
8. We are 1-0, now let’s go get Charleston.

11/07/2023 9:14 am  #32

I love the grit in this team. We were out rebounded by 7 at the half and came back to win the rebound battle 43-41. Two key rebounds by Rozier in the last two minutes. Great team effort, but I have to say Dixon brought some fire last night. GO DUKES!

DAMBROT INTERVIEW:

Watch: Duquesne MBB Breaks Down Opening Win - Pittsburgh Sports Now

BOX SCORE:
Men's Basketball vs Cleveland State on 11/6/2023 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

11/07/2023 9:21 am  #33

1111 Vickroy wrote:

How about the guy firing up the students who took his shirt off. I was waiting for him to go totally nude

I'm just waiting for Stew to hop on here and say it was him... he really got the students loud when they needed to be!

11/07/2023 9:21 am  #34

One other point, Jimmy Clark played some great minutes at the point last night and had 8 assists and only 2 turnovers.  He and Dae Dae are going to have a big year.   

11/07/2023 9:46 am  #35

Jimmy Clark was simply great last night. He plays like that all year, he is the MVP of this team!
Great atmosphere. A friend of mine is the new pep band director, a professional musician and conductor whom I have worked with over the years. Think the band is now on the right track!
GO DUKES!!

11/07/2023 10:00 am  #36

CLK wrote:

I love the grit in this team. We were out rebounded by 7 at the half and came back to win the rebound battle 43-41. Two key rebounds by Rozier in the last two minutes. Great team effort, but I have to say Dixon brought some fire last night. GO DUKES!

DAMBROT INTERVIEW:

Watch: Duquesne MBB Breaks Down Opening Win - Pittsburgh Sports Now

BOX SCORE:
Men's Basketball vs Cleveland State on 11/6/2023 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

Great game great atmosphere
Truly on the edge of my seat
I echo all the comments on Clark
Let me add he was in foul trouble not because of defense but because of 2 very questionable offensive fouls he received. He indeed was a difference maker!

Here’s also hoping that Savrasov bounces back and Kareem continues to improve
Go Dukes

11/07/2023 10:34 am  #37

El Presidente wrote:

Jimmy Clark was simply great last night. He plays like that all year, he is the MVP of this team!
Great atmosphere. A friend of mine is the new pep band director, a professional musician and conductor whom I have worked with over the years. Think the band is now on the right track!
GO DUKES!!

I was ecstatic to see a pep band when I entered the arena last night. Did they play the fight song after the win? There's also another song that the band used to play that I loved where it was a chant "ohhhh ohhh" in a melody I cannot recall. It's not like I could convey a melody over a chat forum anyway but after the ball got inbounded and the band stopped playing the crowd would continue the melody. Anybody have any idea of what I'm talking about?

11/07/2023 10:47 am  #38

Yeah it was me creating mayhem. I knew the game was going to be close and just made up my mind Im not
driving home with Duquesne losing.The students were great and created a home court advantage that got
everyone excited.

11/07/2023 12:13 pm  #39

JImmy Clark needs to start at the PG, period!!  He had 8 assists and can break down any defender and then dish.  He needs to be our starting PG!!   Yeah I know Rozier is a great leader and team player, but he had some horrible turnovers, is not really a good shooter (1-9) and is a defensive liability.  Again, he is a good 10 minute a game sub at PG, but KD he is NOT AN A-10 STARTING TALENT LEVEL PG!  We will not be at the top of the A-10 if KD insists on playing Rozier like this.  Again, Rozier is the kind of guy you want on your team, but TALENT IS TALENT and there is a reason he didn't have D-1 scholarship offers.  KD you said you need to play the guys that give you your best chance to win, well wake up and smell the coffee bud.  Your insistence on playing Rozier as much as you did last night was almost disastrous.  I have spoken to several other long time basketball guys this morning and everyone of them said the same thing.  I am happy with the win, but we are talking about winning the A-10 and I said end of last year that if KD is stubbornly going to play KR as our starting PG then we are never going to get to the top of the A-10 mountain.   Pistol out.

11/07/2023 1:36 pm  #40

WashPaRick wrote:

I know everyone was missing them but I'm not getting the ball to Dixon with 8 seconds left and up 1.

Sometimes you have no choice on the inbound play with 8 seconds left, obviously they wanted the ball in the hands of Dae Dae or Jimmy in that situation.  I get the feeling that if Dixon caught the inbound as he did, there should have been a quick pass to a better shooter. If someone created a passing lane immediately, there was time before the foul.   Coach D was visibly upset when Dixon got fouled and pounded his fist on the table.  
I was also surprised at the attempt to score off the inbound pass under the hoop with 17-seconds to go.  It seemed like a high risk play considering the Dukes could have taken the easy inbound pass and waited for the foul.  The pass was contested and it was fortunate that Drame was fouled on the play and went to the line. 

11/07/2023 2:09 pm  #41

In general Dae Dae and Jimmy did what they do, and Tre had a nice game.  He was very efficient and gave us some scoring from the 5-spot. His pick and rolls were nice and he converted his chances around the hoop,  The difference from last year's team however, was the play of the Drame twins.  They hit some huge shots, battled in the paint and played the kind of defense that the team desperately needed against a very skilled offensive team in the Vikings.  The team was definitely better with the twins on the floor.  I think Savrasov will play much better than we saw tonight.  He did rebound well in his time on the court and made the right plays, just didn't hit shots. The team will need him, or another player to step up as a scorer to go along with Dae Dae and Jimmy. 

Last edited by levon1975 (11/07/2023 2:21 pm)

11/07/2023 5:12 pm  #42

BluffHunter wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

GO DUKES!!

I was ecstatic to see a pep band when I entered the arena last night. Did they play the fight song after the win? There's also another song that the band used to play that I loved where it was a chant "ohhhh ohhh" in a melody I cannot recall. It's not like I could convey a melody over a chat forum anyway but after the ball got inbounded and the band stopped playing the crowd would continue the melody. Anybody have any idea of what I'm talking about?

Yes Bluffhunter!!! I ask people all the time about that song and no one seems to know what I am talking about. I can’t even remember the melody though, but I used to love hearing that at the games. Such a cool tradition! If anyone knows what we’re talking about please let us know.

11/07/2023 5:18 pm  #43

Not sure but maybe u are referring to Mossie Murphy's shoo-shoo, rah-rah. He would really get the crowd fired up. That was traditional Duquesne basketball. Winning cures many ills.

11/07/2023 5:25 pm  #44

I was both happy to see the press last night and could see why we haven't used it more. For the first time in years we actually have some depth, so I wanted to see the Dukes pressing. As quick as the guards are though, they were not very effective on the press and we got beaten badly a few times as a result.

Cleveland State impressed me. I know their history and knew they won 20 last year, but was not expecting such a tough challenge. Had I known the Dukes were going to win by just two I would have been disappointed, but I think that had more to do with Cleveland State looking nothing like a Horizon League team, than with us not performing well right off the bat.

The Drames were a very pleasant surprise and I hope we saw more of them together or apart. You can't help but root for Rozier, but his height is just too much of a liability to start at this level. Clark forced some shots, but also made some great passes. We know what we've got in Grant. He can light up the scoreboard or make you scream at the TV, and he's likely to do both multiple times a game.

It's unfair to judge based on one game, but it's a message board, so what the heck. Savrasov looked lost at times. You can see why he was at Georgia Southern. DiMichele got an appropriate amount of action. If you're going to be a one trick pony you better have that trick mastered. I'm not writing him off, but hope his minutes don't expand unless his performance steps way up. Based strictly on the 40 minutes we've seen, I'd like to see a starting lineup of Clark, Grant, the Drames, and Barre. Rozier and Dixon first guard and front court guys off the bench and then substitute situationally.

11/07/2023 6:24 pm  #45

Lucky we are in agreement about your starting 5.  It's not only the height with Rozier, it is the offensive limitations - Calvin Murphy he is not.  Great kid, leader, want to see him play 12 to 14 minutes per game coming off the bench.  Would also like to see what Matus can do at the 3 with Clark and Dae Dae.  Necas was supposedly our best recruit, but I guess we'll have to wait and see a bit.  Love the Drame twins and KD acknowledged that Nicholls can play and I would have liked to see what he can do at the PG as well.

11/08/2023 8:08 am  #46

Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes?

Last edited by Prince of Pilsner (11/08/2023 8:09 am)

11/08/2023 9:12 am  #47

CityDuke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

GO DUKES!!

Yes Bluffhunter!!! I ask people all the time about that song and no one seems to know what I am talking about. I can’t even remember the melody though, but I used to love hearing that at the games. Such a cool tradition! If anyone knows what we’re talking about please let us know.

Every once in a while the melody will pop into my head but I lose it quickly. And to other responses: it was not shoo-shoo rah-rah or seven nation army!

11/08/2023 10:02 am  #48

As I recall, there was the Pep band of about four players, and the bass guitarist would play those initial cords, and the students would run with it.  I would post the youtube of the song, but am tech challenged.  Just an old man with a bad memory, I suppose.

11/08/2023 10:54 am  #49

CityDuke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

There's also another song that the band used to play that I loved where it was a chant "ohhhh ohhh" in a melody I cannot recall. It's not like I could convey a melody over a chat forum anyway but after the ball got inbounded and the band stopped playing the crowd would continue the melody. Anybody have any idea of what I'm talking about?

the song you are referring to was called Welcome Home. I thought it was written by an old pep bander from many years ago but i found it online by a different school and now realize it might have just been a specific arrangement. anyway there hasn't been a pep band for the last few years, i doubt anyone left still has the music for it
Welcome Home (long).MOV - YouTube

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/08/2023 11:04 am  #50

You could very well be right, Yak.  Maybe the current Band Director could look into this as it seems to be of interest to the fans.

Board footera