Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2023 8:57 pm  #1

Game Thread - Stony Brook University Seawolves

7:00pm EST tip on Monday 11/13/2023 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Betting line: Dukes are 14½ point favorites; Over/Under 147½
Duquesne 1-1 Against the Spread: Stony Brook 1-0 ATS

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #78 (2-0) vs Stony Brook Seawolves #278 (1-1; 0-1 vs. D-1))
Game prediction: Dukes win by 15, 81-66 - Dukes with 92% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=476 
Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #100 vs Stony Brook #318
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 15, 77.63-62.20
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=5261&tid2=4391&neut=0 
Per BartTorvik:
Dukes #55 vs Stony Brook #194
Game prediction:  Dukes win by 14, 81-67 - Dukes with a 90% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024 
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2023/11/12/mens-basketball-dukes-welcome-seawolves-to-open-cornhusker-classic.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2023/11/11/03_Stony_Brook.pdf Stony Brook Game Notes:  

Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html Stony Brook https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/stony-brook/men/2024.html  
Dukes KenPom Best Wins: College of Charleston (137); Cleveland St. (151) 
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses:
Stony Brook KenPom Best Wins:  
Stony Brook KenPom Worst Losses: St. John's (60)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 32.8%, 128 in D-1; Defense 34.0%, 219 in D-1
Stony Brook 3 Point:  Offense 25.0%, 293 in D-1; Defense 50.0%, 340 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 57.4%, 75 in D-1; Defense 46.7%, 115 in D-1
Stony Brook 2 Point:  Offense 50.0%, 166 in D-1; Defense 52.3%, 208 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 57.4%, 208 in D-1; Defense 63.3%, 83 in D-1
Stony Brook FT:  Offense 70.6%, 156 in D-1; Defense 91.7%, 350 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Stony Brook Adj Offense Efficiency - 98.6; 258 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 99.1; 96 in D-1
Stony Brook Adj Defense Efficiency - 107.1; 292 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 107.5; 75 in D-1
Stony Brook Adj Tempo - 68.7; 295 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 73.2; 69 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - Stony Brook 2.66 yrs; 37 in D-1; Dukes 2.97 yrs; 12 in D-1
Average Height - Stony Brook 76.6"; 269 in D-1; Dukes 76.1"; 319 in D-1

11/13/2023 6:55 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Stony Brook University Seawolves

Would be nice to get this one wrapped up early and get some court time for the guys on the end of the bench, 

11/13/2023 7:28 am  #3

WashPaRick wrote:

Would be nice to get this one wrapped up early and get some court time for the guys on the end of the bench, 

Couldn’t agree more.  I’d like to see Nichols and Hronsky get some run.  I think Barba is still injured

11/13/2023 10:28 am  #4

Dukes have to stay focused this week. Lots of game congestion against decent opponents. 3-0 would be great and should be expected if this is the team we think it is.

Last edited by DukesDan (11/13/2023 10:41 am)

11/13/2023 11:37 am  #5

Anything less than a convincing win tonight will be a slight disappointment. Hoping for a 15 point (or more) victory and leading by double-digits throughout. Being able to rest our starters for much of the second half would be ideal. A lot of basketball coming up for this group.

11/13/2023 11:38 am  #6

11/13/2023 12:18 pm  #7

One interesting tid bit on Stony Brook when checking roster and box scores, in their first two games they have given minutes to guys that go 6’10”, 7,3”, and 7’0”. It will be interesting to see how we cope but expecting a comfortable win.

11/13/2023 12:35 pm  #8

11/13/2023 1:10 pm  #9

Nothing will be comfortable.   Team needs to stay frosty.

Williams injury isnt as bad as I was expecting, thought he might have torn something.   Maybe Dixon and/or Barre can start to make more impact now.   

Last edited by townsonkid (11/13/2023 1:13 pm)

11/13/2023 6:58 pm  #10

We're better than them inside. We're better than them outside. We're better than them offensively. We're better than them defensively. They're susceptible to pressure and we like to press. Their numbers are slightly skewed from playing St. John's, but this should still be a comfortable win for us.

Despite having multiple 7 footers, they're actually a pretty small team. Their starting center is 6'10, but only 190 (just 10 pounds more than Dae Dae). One of their first guys off the bench is a 7'1" transfer from Stanford, but he has more attempted 3s than blocked shots in his career. Another guy off the bench is 7'3", but he only plays 5 minutes a game. On the other hand, their leading scorer is 6'0" and 5 of their 6 leading scorers are 6'4 or shorter. 3 of their leading 5 scorers come off the bench, so if we get off to a hot start we can't lose focus.

This is a good matchup for us and this team seems really hungry to excel. I look for Clark to bounce back, Dae Dae to be his usual self, and Savrasov and the Drames to take advantage of their smaller opponents. I think we'll jump on them early and get a comfortable lead. Then the young guys will get a chance to show what they can do, which might let them back into it just a bit. Curiously, 3 of their last 4 A-10 opponents scored exactly 74, which is the same number they put up on St. John's. So I'll say Dukes 89 Stony Brook 74.

11/13/2023 7:24 pm  #11

Stony Brook looking decent so far.

11/13/2023 7:57 pm  #12

In the jim carey voice from the Mask…..Ssssloppy!!

Much cleaner 2nd half, only 2 TOs.  Hot 3pt shooting.  22 pt win. 

Princeton will offer a different style Wednesday.   A real test.

Last edited by townsonkid (11/13/2023 8:58 pm)

11/13/2023 9:00 pm  #13

Nice second half. Not much time to get ready for Princeton.

11/13/2023 9:20 pm  #14

Nobody on the court could guard Jimmy tonight and he knew it. It was a pleasure to watch him blow past a defender and take it to the rack line that. If he continues to avoid foul trouble and gain confidence he could have an Ajax type season .

11/13/2023 9:31 pm  #15

Rider down 5 to Nebraska not quite midway thru 2nd half. it's on the big 10 channel.

11/13/2023 9:45 pm  #16

Dixon had a nice steal to an easy basket but (I hope)  he learned to not show-boat with a crazy dunk that didn't go in. If you get a run-away steal to the basket, just put it in. But, otherwise, Dixon was great tonight. Good win. 

11/14/2023 9:45 am  #17

As stated above, they had no answer for Jimmy Clark tonight either getting to the basket or from long-range.  It was a pleasure to watch him operate.  It was also a good night offensively for  Aaron Clarke from Stoney Brook as well.  The lefty guard used his step-back jumper quite well on his way to a strong 3-point shooting performance.  

11/14/2023 9:55 am  #18

Kareem Rozier was big again last night for Duquesne. He finished with 11 points, 7 assists, F Drame had a double double with 15 points and 11 rebounds.  Dae Dae with 19 points and JIMMY CLARK was just phenomenal again last night.  24 points an 4 steals.  I love the way he drives the ball strong to the hoop.  He can take just about anyone off the dribble and if you sag off of him he will nail the long three point shot with consistancy.  He is playing like the League MVP,  Great team win again.  

BOX SCORE
Men's Basketball vs Stony Brook on 11/13/2023 - Box Score - Duquesne University Athletics (goduquesne.com)

POST GAME INTERVIEWS
Pittsburgh Sports Now on X: "Watch: Duquesne MBB Sounds Off On Third Win Of Season https://t.co/SZiaePJAov via @pghsportsnow @CoachDruJoyce @TreClark_11 https://t.co/G6WOFloyre" / X (twitter.com)

11/14/2023 10:23 am  #19

The Drame twins have been the most pleasant and unexpected contributors.  Specifically F Drame.  I had my doubts about them being any big deal as they played for LaSalle last season and didn’t seem to move the needle.  They fit right in on this team and excel in the areas that our star players do not.  After 3 games of id like to see start (not including the injured players):

1. Jimmy C
2. Dae Dae
3. F Drame
4. David Dixon
5. Andre Savrasov

Kareem and Necas playing plenty as well.

I’m still not differentiating between the Drames yet but the stat line clearly shows F Drame as the bigger contributor.  I’m not noticing any deficiencies yet in ether though.

11/14/2023 10:58 am  #20

I would like to see some 4-5 minute stretches of the following lineup:
-Double Drames
-Savrasov
-Clark
-Dae Dae

I thought Savrasov's overall defense was quite good last night. He sat down in his stance & kept some smalls in front of him, bodied some bigs without fouling, mostly rotated well, & was active on the boards.
KD needs to develop a couple of offensive sets just for him. He is skilled enough to run some offense through. I think this will come in time.

I was impressed with how KD got both Clark & Dae Dae rest. This is going to be a challenging week. I was also happy to see Dae Dae out at the end of the first half with 2 fouls & a lead. In the past, I feel like KD would have left his star player in under those circumstances.

It was nice to see Nichols play & look comfortable. Even 5-7 quality minutes per game from a 4th guard would pay dividends over the course of the season while setting things up for next season. Rozier is playing well but 33 minutes is still too many for him.

Overall, that was an impressive, controlled win. The Dukes handled their business.
Stony Brook has some nice pieces, is well coached, has decent size, & loads of experience. They would not be the last place team in the A-10 this season or last. This is precisely the kind of non-con opponent the last 6 Dukes teams would have beaten only 6 out of 10 times & if they did win, it would have been an unnecessary struggle. The same could be said of Cleveland St. This alone is reason for serious optimism.

Princeton will be a different kind of challenge on short rest. I can't wait to see how the Dukes attack this game.

I think opponents over the next 3 or 4 games will try to slow the Dukes down with some zone and/or junk defenses. Stony Brook probably gave up on this too soon last night after Dae Dae lit them up on 2 consecutive possessions.

Last edited by phil95 (11/14/2023 11:01 am)

11/14/2023 11:33 am  #21

Princeton is 2-0 with wins against Rutgers and Hofstra.

Board footera