Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2023 8:53 am  #1

Rozier

I just want to state for the record my opinion of Rozier.  I’ve said before what I think of him as a person, leader, and representative of the university - 2nd to none.  Love this kid.

As a starting Pg on this team I have concerns.  I feel like his limitations, both offensively and defensively, will be exploited by good A-10 coaches over the course of a 40 minute game.  He won’t be able to score consistently driving to the basket against A-10 competition.  His shot will be blocked regularly.  And his perimeter shooting is anything but consistent.  He hasn’t shown a strong ability to get assists either. And defensively, the longer/taller guards will be able to shoot over him regularly.

I LOVE Rozier coming in off the bench. He thrives in hectic momentum shifting situations - not set offensive and defensive circumstances.  He’ll get the 50/50 balls, irritate the opposing guards with dogged defense, and make those little creative offensive plays that aren’t set.  And, as we saw, he can get warm shooting from the perimeter.  His energy is perfect for a 6th man as is his skill set.

I want him to be great and, since it seems KD is going to keep giving him 30+ ‘minutes a game, time will tell.  I hope I am wrong and am rooting to be wrong.

11/12/2023 10:58 am  #2

Re: Rozier

I am a big fan of the smaller guard, as long as he is a leader, distributes the ball and takes what is available to him offensively. Rozier has all these qualities. Defensively the coach has to protect him!! A small guard has worked tremendously for Richmond since 2007. The Richmond point guards Kevin Anderson 6’0” 2007-2011 average 15.6 for his career, Kendal Anthony 5’8” 2011-2015 Avg 14.2. Shawndre Jones 5’10” 2013-2017 Avg12.3 , Jacob Gilyard 5’9” 2017-2022 avg 13.2. I assure their height is about as accurate as Rozier’s. The above mentioned point guards for Richmond all averaged  double digits all four years they started with the exception of one year, one of them averaged 9.8. There are many teams out there with small point guards and they have been successful. This is just one example of team that exclusively uses undersized point guards.

In the A-10 it is very hard to recruit a 6’3” or taller point guard. Those guards are taken by power 5 conference teams. I say trust the coaches judgement and let’s give this kid a chance. My opinion is that Rozier will do just fine.

11/12/2023 12:07 pm  #3

Wildwood13 wrote:

I am a big fan of the smaller guard, as long as he is a leader, distributes the ball and takes what is available to him offensively. Rozier has all these qualities. Defensively the coach has to protect him!! A small guard has worked tremendously for Richmond since 2007. The Richmond point guards Kevin Anderson 6’0” 2007-2011 average 15.6 for his career, Kendal Anthony 5’8” 2011-2015 Avg 14.2. Shawndre Jones 5’10” 2013-2017 Avg12.3 , Jacob Gilyard 5’9” 2017-2022 avg 13.2. I assure their height is about as accurate as Rozier’s. The above mentioned point guards for Richmond all averaged  double digits all four years they started with the exception of one year, one of them averaged 9.8. There are many teams out there with small point guards and they have been successful. This is just one example of team that exclusively uses undersized point guards.

In the A-10 it is very hard to recruit a 6’3” or taller point guard. Those guards are taken by power 5 conference teams. I say trust the coaches judgement and let’s give this kid a chance. My opinion is that Rozier will do just fine.

Good points but I’m not saying a small guard can’t excel.  I’m saying, at least offensively, Rozier has shown his size hurts HIS game. He has not shown the ability to overcome it on a regular basis. In the bursts? Yes.  But over the course of a game he’ll get his shot blocked driving to the hole twice for every one time he gets it in the bucket.

I’m glad you brought up Kevin Anderson (not a good comparison as he’s at least 3 inches taller than Rozier though,) because it reminded me of his performance senior year at the A-10 tourney. Saw all those games live and he dominated. Pleasure to watch him play.

11/12/2023 12:23 pm  #4

Good points Styles and Wildwood and the only thing I would add is we do have a 6'2" PG on the team - his name is Jimmy Clark.

11/12/2023 4:38 pm  #5

Here's a stat from the game that I don't recall ever hearing mentioned before. Rozier drew 7 fouls against Charleston,

11/12/2023 5:02 pm  #6

WashPaRick wrote:

Here's a stat from the game that I don't recall ever hearing mentioned before. Rozier drew 7 fouls against Charleston,

He does a lot of great things out there. Love having him on the team.

11/12/2023 5:34 pm  #7

WashPaRick wrote:

Fearlessness can be a big factor in drawing fouls. That's one of the traits Rozier has.

11/12/2023 6:01 pm  #8

I've been a fan of Kareem since the first time I saw him play.  The young man can play ball.  I'm happy to see him on the court for 30+ minutes a game.  I think we can make the NCAA tournament with him playing the 1 spot. 

11/12/2023 6:48 pm  #9

VBC wrote:

I've been a fan of Kareem since the first time I saw him play.  The young man can play ball.  I'm happy to see him on the court for 30+ minutes a game.  I think we can make the NCAA tournament with him playing the 1 spot. 

In fast pace games, size has less of an advantage because it's mostly a liability in running style games. RE was pretty successful with smaller players as long as the pace was fast. But, this years team is going to be able to play fast-pace on a regular basis because of Clark, Grant, Rozier, and a bunch of very talented Bigs on this team, for rebounds to fast breaks. The faster the pace, the more effective Rozier is, but if we get bogged down into a half-court style game, then size matters.  Hoping we run over everyone this season.

11/12/2023 8:57 pm  #10

NapaDuke wrote:

VBC wrote:

In fast pace games, size has less of an advantage because it's mostly a liability in running style games. RE was pretty successful with smaller players as long as the pace was fast. But, this years team is going to be able to play fast-pace on a regular basis because of Clark, Grant, Rozier, and a bunch of very talented Bigs on this team, for rebounds to fast breaks. The faster the pace, the more effective Rozier is, but if we get bogged down into a half-court style game, then size matters.  Hoping we run over everyone this season.

Napa, very good point on the pace.  It will be interesting to see how the Dukes react and respond to better teams like Dayton that try to slow down the game.

11/13/2023 8:45 am  #11

When Duson is cleared medically Coach Dambrot has both options. Not too many A10 teams have an aircraft carrier as well as the depth at the 4&5 positions. Hopefully, T. Williams wrist injury was not serious. 

11/13/2023 9:16 pm  #12

I really like the way Rozier distributed the ball tonight and didn’t force bad shots.  I know Stony Brook is not anywhere close to A-10 level competition but Rozier is getting better every game for sure.

11/13/2023 9:49 pm  #13

Styles1229 wrote:

I really like the way Rozier distributed the ball tonight and didn’t force bad shots. I know Stony Brook is not anywhere close to A-10 level competition but Rozier is getting better every game for sure.

Stony Brook played pretty good fast pace play and Rozier did great defensively against their pg.

11/14/2023 7:56 am  #14

Great post and excellent comments by all!

11/14/2023 9:42 am  #15

Styles1229 wrote:

I really like the way Rozier distributed the ball tonight and didn’t force bad shots. I know Stony Brook is not anywhere close to A-10 level competition but Rozier is getting better every game for sure.

While I don't believe that I ever spoke out against Kareem on this board, I must admit that I have harbored some negative thoughts about his ability to compete with bigger guards. I do have to say that I am beginning to change my thinking on the topic. Kareem continues to impress on the court which is where it counts. Lots of heart, lots of smarts, lots of composure, and he does seem to have an innate ability to be in the right place at the right time more often than not to make a play on both ends of the court. Rozier may be worth the price of admission all by himself. If we can get some consistent scoring from our bigs (6-9 and up, waiting for Dusan), this team could be a tough out for just about anyone. GO DUKES!!

Board footera