Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2023 10:48 pm  #1

Foul calls impact the game

Now I know it depends on where the games are played and where the refs are from – but it seems to me that watching an A10 team play a nonconference team away from an A10 venue, you can expect the refs are going to call a lot of fouls against the A10 team.  Such was the case with Richmond Spiders against Colorado in a Fla tournament, although they did play a tight defense against them. And that very well could have cost the Spiders the game (who lost 64-59).  11 fouls for Spiders (made 8), 25 for Colorado – who made 21.

The Dukes generally commit more fouls than their opponents (even by A10 standards) and they’ll  be playing at Nebraska Wednesday. Nebraska is not too great at foul shooting, while the Dukes are only 69% from the line.

However, here’s hoping the refs don’t assume the Cornhuskers are ‘facing another mugger from the A10,’ when the Dukes play their usual tight defense.

Foul calls and the ability to make foul shots, have a lot to do with the outcome…  

11/21/2023 9:32 am  #2

Re: Foul calls impact the game

gjgsr wrote:

Now I know it depends on where the games are played and where the refs are from – but it seems to me that watching an A10 team play a nonconference team away from an A10 venue, you can expect the refs are going to call a lot of fouls against the A10 team.  Such was the case with Richmond Spiders against Colorado in a Fla tournament, although they did play a tight defense against them. And that very well could have cost the Spiders the game (who lost 64-59).  11 fouls for Spiders (made 8), 25 for Colorado – who made 21.

The Dukes generally commit more fouls than their opponents (even by A10 standards) and they’ll  be playing at Nebraska Wednesday. Nebraska is not too great at foul shooting, while the Dukes are only 69% from the line.

However, here’s hoping the refs don’t assume the Cornhuskers are ‘facing another mugger from the A10,’ when the Dukes play their usual tight defense.

Foul calls and the ability to make foul shots, have a lot to do with the outcome…  

Quick first half fouls on one team vs their opponent hampers those players the rest of the game. Then the make-up calls in the second half on their opponent might even the stat sheet but refs can screw one team early. Take the Princeton game, at one point in the first half, DU committed 11 fouls to only one by Princeton. Our players are hampered by early fouls, Princeton gets the ball and/or gets to the foul line sooner. 

11/21/2023 11:28 am  #3

Gotta think its Dukes vs everybody tomorrow night out there.   

11/22/2023 10:46 pm  #4

No doubt the Big 10, and Las Vegas are never gonna allow an A10 team get in the way of one of their teams.  Nope..  Big money wins every time.  It’s a sham.

I thought the stiff arm (2nd half) to David Dixon was the coup de grace.  Then toward the end when Dukes were making a comeback,  Jimmy Clark drives in -- makes the basket in what should have been a foul (hit him on the head) shot against Nebraska!  No call until Clark made a ‘low key protest.’… and got hit with a technical and removed from the game.  There’s no way they were going to let margin get under 8.

The Dukes have a lot of heart and are going to be tough in the A10…

Board footera