Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/28/2023 10:16 am  #1

Dukes Lose As Clock Expires

The women lost a heartbreaker on a made shot by Bowling Green as the clock expired. There was plenty to discuss from this game as there was good, bad and ugly.

The good:
*Amaya Hamilton - Took by the game over as the Dukes roared back from a 9 point halftime deficit. Dukes opened up the middle for her and she carried them in the second half.
*Megan McConnell - Just does it all with a Double/Double. Great defender and leader. Simply an all league player.
*Coaching adjustment - In the third quarter, the team went small (4 guards and Hamilton). As mentioned, they let Hamilton use both the high and low posts and she delivered. BG had no answer for Hamilton and Dukes outscored their opponent by 16.
*Nae Bernard - She contributed points, so I will place her here. A little better shot selection and her contributions would go up.

The bad:
*The two Senior Bigs are really struggling on both offense and defense. One continually misses short shots and the other looks totally lost in an offense that is pretty much free flow rather than more structured sets. Neither plays good defense or rebounds well. Both foul a lot.
*The defense lacks continuity. There is no on-ball pressure except for McConnell and Hamilton. They continually go “under” screens allowing for easy perimeter shots and easy cuts to the basket. The effort is there, but the defense simply is not physical enough.
*This team shoots a lot of threes. That’s OK, but a good team is in the 35% to 38% range. Not the case with our Dukes. The team’s best shooter is in a season long slump. Without her scoring, the team struggles.
*After 5 games, a line-up change is needed. McConnell, Hamilton and Bernard are givens. Brown needs to be inserted into the starting five. She simply did not play enough against BG. Ammons was on the floor yesterday for about two minutes and she affected three plays defensively. Play her over the two senior bigs, who should have reduced playing time. Myers will find her shot, but take some pressure off her by letting her come off the bench for a bit. Since our guards are very small, play the one who is more physical, which means more time for the freshman from Maryland. To be better, use the more physical players and give more playing time to Brown, Grantham, Ammons and Kiaku.

The Ugly
*With 3.6 seconds to go, a DU timeout was called and the ball moved to the front court in a tied ball game. We lost the ball on a five second count even though we had a time-out. BG goes three quarters court with the turnover and scores as the clock runs out. Inexcusable execution on both the offense and defense.
*This is tough to say, but the offensive and defensive coordinators are not up to par to what we had with Matt S. and Rachel W. The defense is particularly soft and has no variety to it. The announcer implored both teams to run a set play as the game came down the stretch. We need some structured sets. For example, run a play to free up your struggling shooter. Talent alone does not win games. It cannot be ideal to have three voices to listen to as the game is in progress. The Head Coach needs to be the voice, especially during TOs. Get input from the coordinators, but the Head Coach needs to be the voice.

The season is still young, but as the Steelers just learned, making tough changes can make for a better team. Hopefully, our Dukes don’t wait to make those changes because the makings of a good team is definitely there. Go Dukes!

Last edited by HookShot (11/28/2023 10:17 am)

11/28/2023 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Dukes Lose As Clock Expires

Hook, I am going to respectively disagree with your coaching implications.  First, let me say that it was an excellent officiated game.  Both teams of course had their chances.  The turnovers at the end and an unwise decision had to do with the players.  I can't blame the coaches.  Also, Dan is right there and can input anything he desires...as he has and should.  That loss...if you are just looking at the last five minutes, had to do with players' errors.  I do agree that their bigs need to step up and the front court is keeping us in the game.   Similar issues to the men's team.  Go Dukes!

11/28/2023 1:47 pm  #3

Thanks, Fam! I totally support Dan Burt and you are right in that execution makes the difference. Better execution means better results. That is my hope for the defense and better consistency in the lineup. Dan Burt will make adjustments. Go Dukes!

11/28/2023 2:27 pm  #4

First to state the obvious -  REALLY Painful to lose in the manner that they did.  But here are some additional takes

Bowling Green won 30 games last year -  I don't know how much of their talent departed but I think they are a damn good team to take them to the wire on their floor speaks well for the team as a whole. While Richmond and Davidson are off to strong starts as is GM -  Along with Princeton -  Bowling Green might be the second best team DU plays this year -  When the women played Princeton it was nip and tuck for 35 minutes until they went cold at the end of the game.

I disagree with the Tess off the bench idea -  while in a shooting slump Tess is one who is capable of "grabbing rebounds" as opposed to simply watching.  It "seems like" no one really boxes out etc.  Somehow DU WON the rebounding battle last night (but only by one)

Amaya played the game of her life last night -  however against Pitt she was scoreless -  from game to game there is just too much inconsistency as a whole.  

Somehow they have to find a way to give Megan a breather -  it is still early in the season but she is basically playing 40 minutes per game - and her minutes are TOUGH minutes -  for someone with a slight frame - she is crashing the boards - driving hard to the hoop and initiating contact -  since the player from N C Central was rookie of the year in her conference - hoping she can take some of the burden off Megan.because she is essentially a point guard 

Lastly I hope Lauren can come back soon -  while her shooting percentage wasn't the best thought she was decent enough defensively and could at least grab some rebounds and as for Kulo -  perhaps  she could also be an option to help out with interior defense if nothing else.  

And with a four game home stand coming up -  hope the team works out the kinks .

11/29/2023 10:26 am  #5

Nice to see some discussion on the women's team and many valid observations. I think this group of players is quite capable of being very good, but individual players are so inconsistent from game to game. With our size we should be much better inside than we are playing. When we get the ball inside no one seems capable of going up strong to the hoop. Tess seems to have completely lost her shot, but she does contribute. I don't blame coaching but this frustrating play cries out for some adjustments. Don't ask me what. 

Board footera