Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2024 9:35 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - University of Massachusetts Minutemen

Fordham and GW going into triple Overtime. 102-102.

1/03/2024 9:49 pm  #52

Yes, the bigs are bad. But the sense of hopelessness, of the same old same overwhelms.  Getting old. Not sure if it’ll ever turn around. Bury me at the open lot that used to be the V. B,

1/03/2024 10:00 pm  #53

Duquesne exposed.The front line is horrible,lots of depth but no consistent offensive threat.Too much pressure on Grant and Clark to produce points and Clark seems to be regressing with his outside shot.
Rozier too small, a defensive liability and not a consistent 3 point threat.Just dissappointed.

1/03/2024 11:28 pm  #54

gjgsr wrote:

Looking at the roster stats sheets for each of the teams - it appears on paper UMass has the edge:

UMASS advantages
3 point shooting
size
rebounding edge
foul shooting proficiency
number of players participating
home factor
foul calls will favor Umass

DUQ advantages
defense - which could negate some of UMASS offensive advantages.
turnover ratio
in the paint scoring
age/experience factor

I see UMASS winning by 2..

HOPE I'M WRONG!!

[list=1]
[*]Foul calls favored UMass -  you can always predict that with a Dambrot team because that occurs in most of his games.  Can’t we convey to the team ‘that fouling puts their key players in a hole every time!’  They then have to widely substitute resulting in a lack of team continuity and using 12+ players.  Is that a coaching problem?
[*]foul shooting proficiency – Umass gets lots of shooting fouls and make 70% versus we get fewer shooting files = a 12 – 15 point differential.  Do we work hard on foul shooting?  Coach??
[*]Rebounding edge -  goes to UMass despite their 2 bigs were out for much of the game and Dukes had the height advantage.  How does that happen?
[*]In the paint scoring – goes to Umass despite their bigs were out for much of the game.
[*]Turnover ratio favored Umass
[*]FG% favored Umass – Duq couldn’t shoot consistently inside or outside.  Not ready Coach?
[*]Age/experience advantage thought to favor Duq – did not.  Coach, what happened here?
[*]Defense for Duq was lacking and in fact contributed to the lopsided fouling - despite we even employed a zone defense for awhile.
[/list]
I was wrong about:
[list=1]
[*]the 3 point shooting.  Umass didn’t need any.
[*]In the paint scoring – Umass took control of that   
[/list]

1/04/2024 7:40 am  #55

I’m not going to overreact to this terrible loss. Seems we always lose in Amherst. My takeaways:

1. Clark and Grant can be neutralized by a good coach. They tried to “take over” the game when nothing else was working and UMass executed an effective defense to not allow it. KD could not counter.

2. The Drames disappointed. I was surprised by everyone’s excitement when they came here because they didn’t even start on one of the worst teams in the A-10 last year but I assumed more knowledgeable basketball fans knew better than me. They impressed me in non-con games but clearly they can’t score in the A-10. They need to stick to doing the dirty work and let the others score.

3. Reffing was fair but bad. No one wants to watch that game. Players need to recognize the game is being called that way and adapt but the refs also need to relax a little and let them play.  Jimmy seems to have gotten it under control but Kareem and Dixon just foul when they get beat on a play. 

4. I was really surprised that after 12 warm ups the offense looked hat out of sync. I’ve never been strong reading the Xs and Os of the game but it was clear even to me that they had a better game plan.  They knew Jimmy and Dae Dae were our meal ticket and they, for the most part, shut them down.  We had no answer to their press and they gave our guards no room to work. There was never enough time to get set. They did that all game and KD had no answer. Disappointing.

I think we will be OK.  Welcome to A-10 play.

1/04/2024 8:43 am  #56

Wow!, was this the same team that only lost in Nebraska because they faced both theCornhuskers and the officiating crew?  I don't want to overact either, but this was ugly and provided the blueprint for how to beat the Dukes.  I know Amherst is always a tough out for us, but expect more of the same if nothing changes.  The bigs need to attack the basket and finish or get to the free throw line, less reliance on Clark and Grant.  We keep talking about how much "depth" we have in the frontcourt, but in A-10 play last night, not one of them looked better than pedestrian. Who will step up ?  

1/04/2024 9:07 am  #57

So, if you are going to get blown out and suck, better to do it in the first game of conference play on an away court...and I'm being serious.  I didn't expect them to go undefeated this year so I'm going to say it was only one game.  They now have about 23 things to work on....  Let's see how the next game goes.
Go Dukes!

1/04/2024 9:48 am  #58

The 19 point loss doesn’t surprise me. What I liked most about our team and felt it could carry us to a successful season was the team chemistry. That was not evident in last nights game. A prelude to this is when I was watching the coaches show the previous day, Coach eluded to the fact that players were unhappy with their playing time. As a result, he has juggled his starting lineup and his substitution of players was very suspicious. I feel this played chaos with the chemistry and team camaraderie. If this continues we could be in trouble the remainder of the season.As most of you know, I have no confidence in the coach’s game preparation, in game adjustments or use of timeouts. This combined with a lack of chemistry could lead to disaster for the balance of the season.

1/04/2024 10:44 am  #59

This shouldnt happen(blown out) when you have seven 5th yr players.   I mean, c'mon, what are we doing here?   Their 2 best players, one sat most of the night with foul trouble and the other took 2 blows to the head, looked woozy, and yet still came back in and schooled them.   
Time to move beyond the Drame experience.
I can also see why KD never plays zone, that was pathetic.   Another reason not to get into foul trouble.

1/04/2024 11:23 am  #60

I will attempt to rewatch at some point today. Will keep a close eye on rotations and chemistry. It's guaranteed to happen as Mahorcic is coming back from injury but I felt like there were a few lineups last night that I have not seen play together all season. If Nicholls is going to play 11 minutes as a backup PG why hasn't he been doing that all of non-con?

1/04/2024 11:24 am  #61

This team is going nowhere playing the same rotation at the 3-4-5 spots.  Necas needs to get as much time as possible at the 3-4.  He’ll have his moments and make mistakes, but he has potential to become a solid player.  Guys in their 5th or 6th year aren’t suddenly going to improve miraculously.  Play Necas!

1/04/2024 11:32 am  #62

Coach D said this would happen...folks unhappy with playing time.  I imagine either the game last night...or if they lose the next one, he will get so angry that he will not worry about playing time and just go with what he thinks.  But because they are deep, albeit not excellent players deep, this will be a continuous problem all year in terms of folks not happy because they aren't playing.  I don't remember this team being this deep in his 7 years.  So, he and coach Dru need to figure it out.

1/04/2024 12:10 pm  #63

FAM wrote:

Coach D said this would happen...folks unhappy with playing time.  I imagine either the game last night...or if they lose the next one, he will get so angry that he will not worry about playing time and just go with what he thinks.  But because they are deep, albeit not excellent players deep, this will be a continuous problem all year in terms of folks not happy because they aren't playing.  I don't remember this team being this deep in his 7 years.  So, he and coach Dru need to figure it out.

Last year, Duquesne destroyed VCU at home. After that beating VCU cleaned up its act and went on to win the A10 tournament. There is too much talent on this Duquesne team to fold. The Dukes can do the same this year but need to get it together.

The Dukes need to clean up their transition defense. Way too many easy baskets in transition last night.

The Dukes also need to do a better job stopping the dribble penetration. The Umass guards, especially their point guard just ate us up.

We need to have better play at the point. I am not one who will point fingers at any particular player, as I see this as a coaching 
problem. 

Finally, FAM, I absolutely agree with this, it seems to me that Dambrot is trying too hard to make everybody happy.  What were the words of the Ricky Nelson song..."you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself".  Dambrot needs to ask himself what he wants if this is his last season.  Does he want to win a championship, or just be an also ran but a nice guy?  Dambrot needs to play his best players, and if he doesn't know who they are by now we are in trouble.  The players also have to ask themselves what do they want? Guys who want to play have to step up and earn it. They are entitled to nothing, and the coaches need to make sure they understand that. Based on last night's play, there are only a couple of guys who earned it.  I am not giving up on this season or team but would be lying if I said I am not pissed at the coaches. Not because they lost, but how they lost.

1/04/2024 12:32 pm  #64

This was game 13, and I really dont think this is a talented team.   Grant and Clark, sure, but after that, Savrasov shows sometimes, Dixon, Rozier, but none are dependable, and none play enough.   Too many cooks in the kitchen.   Worst part is, seven 5+ yr players, and got ran out the gym.   
I expect a lot better this weekend in Chicago.   But will it be enough?
The VCU thing from last year is one thing to hold onto for now.

Last edited by townsonkid (1/04/2024 12:35 pm)

1/04/2024 12:51 pm  #65

Is there a post-game press conference available to watch for last night's game?

1/04/2024 3:32 pm  #66

phil95 wrote:

Is there a post-game press conference available to watch for last night's game?

Here’s Frank Martin postgame:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kadySuW3l4E

1/04/2024 3:56 pm  #67

Thanks but I was hoping to hear what KD's thoughts were.

1/04/2024 5:22 pm  #68

phil95 wrote:

Thanks but I was hoping to hear what KD's thoughts were.

I was expecting that he did not do a presser in an opponent's arena but at the end of the video linked it sounds like a man is saying Dambrot is coming in next. I was not able to find any videos or clips of it.

1/04/2024 7:33 pm  #69

1/04/2024 7:52 pm  #70

Thanks CLK that’s quite an expansive article haha!! At least we got one quote from Dambrot about his take on the game.

1/05/2024 2:56 pm  #71

This was an embarrassing loss; shattering our high expectations for the year and it was a conference loss.  Glad it is still early in the conference to turn this around.  The Dukes haven't played a solid game since Marshall; and the Santa Clara game was arguably the Dukes worst loss of the year.

And we are now exposed at the 4 and 5 positions; and at the 3 when the Dukes play 2 guards. It's on video so more coaches are going to exploit the shortcomings unless the coaching staff figures this out now.

The 4 position should not be a weakness; you have to play Savrasov the bulk of the minutes.  He is fundamentally sound, plays good defense, can take the ball strongly to the basket, is a good passer, etc.

Dixon has way too much talent to put up two abysmal performances and stat lines vs. Santa Clara and UMass.  In the UMass game, the only numbers in his stat line in 10 minutes were 4 personal fouls and 1 turnover.  Nothing else.

As most of you have figured out by now, I am a huge proponent of advanced stats.  I especially like to review them after I have watched a game to support/question what my eyes have seen.  Take a look at the advanced box score from the UMass game and pay attention to the BPM (Box Plus or Minus) stat.  It confirms what many have commented in this thread about some individual performances or lack thereof.

Advanced Stat Box Score - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank (barttorvik.com)
About Box Plus/Minus (BPM) | Basketball-Reference.com

1/05/2024 6:16 pm  #72

I couldn't agree more about Savrasov.

I do not think that Rozier should be benched. However, I  do think he should be playing quite a bit less unless he happens to be having a great game. Even when that is the case, I think he should top out at 25 or so minutes per game so that a player can be established at the 3.
I won't go into the details as to why I feel this way about Kareem because that seems to piss posters off but, rest assured, I believe that in order for this team to thrive, Rozier will have to & is capable of making a strong contribution.

Realistically, the only candidates I see for that 3 spot are Nekas & Hronsky. Unfortunately, neither one of them has the requisite experience to be an immediate solution. Do other posters have ideas about who else could be an effective 3?

1/05/2024 8:52 pm  #73

phil95 wrote:

I do not think that Rozier should be benched. However, I do think he should be playing quite a bit less unless he happens to be having a great game. Even when that is the case, I think he should top out at 25 or so minutes per game so that a player can be established at the 3.
I won't go into the details as to why I feel this way about Kareem because that seems to piss posters off but, rest assured, I believe that in order for this team to thrive, Rozier will have to & is capable of making a strong contribution.

Realistically, the only candidates I see for that 3 spot are Nekas & Hronsky. Unfortunately, neither one of them has the requisite experience to be an immediate solution. Do other posters have ideas about who else could be an effective 3?

F.Drame is versatile and re watching the UMass game, first half, he was effective. In a 2 guard offense, he (not all game) would seem to be a good fit. I haven't seen Hronsky get enough playing time this year to make a guess what he is capable of.

1/05/2024 9:34 pm  #74

phil95 wrote:

I do not think that Rozier should be benched. However, I do think he should be playing quite a bit less unless he happens to be having a great game. Even when that is the case, I think he should top out at 25 or so minutes per game so that a player can be established at the 3.

phil95, totally agree regarding Rozier.  I think he would be most effective playing 22-25 minutes per game.  Jimmy Clark can handle the point for 10+ minutes per game, unless he is in foul trouble.  Nicholls can give 5 or so minutes per game to fill in the gaps or when both Kareem/Jimmy are in foul trouble.

I'm almost convinced that Savrasov could play the 3 for significant minutes (10 or so) per game, with certain matchups.  Necas is another option at 3 for a few minutes per game (he needs to start making those outside shots - airballs are not acceptable).  

Board footera