Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2024 3:22 pm  #26

Re: Has Dambrot Turned the Program Around Since He Arrived? Depends

levon1975 wrote:

I think to original was from sc Duke. NAPA commented .

Yea, I agree, SC is right on, I just agreed.

1/09/2024 3:51 pm  #27

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

I defer any judgment until after the season is over.  A long, long way to go.

KD and DU does deserve a lot of credit for the commitment to compete. KD does recruit higher level players. That's true. DU has proven to compete. More than ever. But, KD got to this level and isn't taking these kids to the next level, but his biggest recruit, Joyce just likely can. When was the last time any team was coached by a former point guard that had 11 years of professional pro basketball in their resume. I like that he played with Lebron, nice, but we have just got to let this guy take a swing at Head coaching. In the A-10, it takes talent and it takes a coach that has an eye for game time adjustments. Someone that calls timeout to stop runs and takes a key player out, but then tells that player on the sideline just what his adjustments are, then puts his butt back in there to effect the game. Winning coach do things like that. I think Joyce is worth the bet.

1/09/2024 4:55 pm  #28

I also think the current AD should get credit.  Though his social skills/personality has a lot to be desired, he has worked hard for all of the athletic programs.  

1/09/2024 7:08 pm  #29

FAM wrote:

I also think the current AD should get credit.  Though his social skills/personality has a lot to be desired, he has worked hard for all of the athletic programs.  

Heck yea, These people want us to win.

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/09/2024 9:25 pm)

1/09/2024 10:42 pm  #30

Quite frankly it’s next to impossible in today’s college basketball world for a non P-5 school on a mid-major league with a minimal fan base to carve out a niche as a perennially successful program.  The landscape is more heavily tilted toward the P-5 schools than ever before, the transfer portal makes it harder to build a strong team with 4-5 year players.  The NIL deals offered by programs with deep-pocketed alumni preclude smaller schools from competing for talent.  Tournament berths are reserved for even losing P-5 schools.  Everything is designed to crush the mid-majors into mediocrity.  You might get lucky on a few players here and there, but try sustaining anything over several seasons.

1/10/2024 7:36 am  #31

Although all of the points are valid I have one point of contention with KD that I believe is tough to repudiate. How many if any of his players show growth? Other than some cases of a natural maturity of a players game I don’t see the jump of a player who is being pushed to a higher level. As a matter of fact I would argue players are either stagnant or taking steps backwards. 

Many of the defensive lapses, the rebounding issues, poor shot selection etc. have been a part of his teams the last few years. Our inability to adjust or change I believe is part of the end of year collapse since teams get a read and know how to exploit our weaknesses. 

1/10/2024 12:10 pm  #32

I would be interested to know what Dambrots record for the last 7 games in the last six years have been. Folks say his teams collapse at the end every year. Of course he loses but I wonder what the real numbers are.

1/10/2024 12:48 pm  #33

FAM wrote:

I would be interested to know what Dambrots record for the last 7 games in the last six years have been. Folks say his teams collapse at the end every year. Of course he loses but I wonder what the real numbers are.

Dambrot (6 years):  14-28 33.3%
Ferry (5 years):  11-24 31.4%
Everhart (6 years) 12-30 28.6%

In the last 17 years, the Dukes have finished above .500 in their last 7 games a total of 4 times (twice under Dambrot, once under Ferry and Everhart).

The weaknesses and/or the lack of overall talent in the team will become exposed the more games that you play. Plus, almost all teams will lose the last game that they play.   

1/10/2024 1:35 pm  #34

The program has certainly shown improvement under KD given what we had under the previous coach and staff. However, it does seem that our ceiling is somewhere around 20 -21 wins at this point. I don't believe this year will be any different but truly hoping I'm wrong. It took only 3 years for KD and staff to get to 21 if memory serves me correctly. We haven't been able to duplicate that again.  GO DUKES!

1/10/2024 2:33 pm  #35

One thing that has really bothered me in the Dambrot years is total lack of a signature win(s).  What is the best win the Dukes have had?  Looking back, it might have been the VCU game last year (VCU finished #60 in KenPom).  They don't have a win against a top 50 team in his tenure.

Perhaps on Friday, this string will be broken.  A Dayton win would be great medicine for this team and the fan base (and me )

1/10/2024 3:37 pm  #36

Phoenix I couldn’t agree with you more. His teams have looked and played terribly in every big game. Let’s also not forget the OOC he has been given over his years is a joke. Let’s also not forget HE set the expectations higher before a game was played this year. 

Last edited by The Dome (1/10/2024 3:37 pm)

1/10/2024 3:43 pm  #37

Phoenix,
Wow! And thank you. All 3 of them did poorly.

Surprised

1/10/2024 5:28 pm  #38

Don't know what else can be said in this thread - excellent - objective points - Today, on You Tube from PITTSBURGH SPORTS NOW: Dambrot was on for almost 15 minutes and then in another clip Dae Dae was interviewed.  My perception...
-Dambrot sounded a little down and worn out...
-The game Friday is allegedly a sellout and the first sellout in Dambrot's tenure
-We may not have anyone to guard Dayton's big man

Well, we will see on Friday - Go Dukes and Good Luck to all

1/10/2024 9:31 pm  #39

FAM wrote:

Don't know what else can be said in this thread - excellent - objective points - Today, on You Tube from PITTSBURGH SPORTS NOW: Dambrot was on for almost 15 minutes and then in another clip Dae Dae was interviewed.  My perception...
-Dambrot sounded a little down and worn out...
-The game Friday is allegedly a sellout and the first sellout in Dambrot's tenure
-We may not have anyone to guard Dayton's big man

Well, we will see on Friday - Go Dukes and Good Luck to all

Link to Dambrot’s interview.
https://youtu.be/4YqSZ0vnyqM

Here’s a link to the interview with Dae Dae.

https://youtu.be/fCM3DXNWKBI

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/11/2024 12:02 am)

1/11/2024 8:46 am  #40

I’m sure the Team Psychologist will fix the problem of stopping the Flyers. Seriously, maybe the coaching staff should work on more drills in the gym improving the players weaknesses. Can you imagine Chuck Noll sending Jack Lambert or Joe Greene to a sports psychologist 😂😂😂 Anyways Go Dukes beat Dayton👍

1/11/2024 1:32 pm  #41

Wow... Nebraska beat #1 Purdue Tuesday I didn't catch that. 

Last Sellout was 2/4/2012 against Richmond

Grant and Clark taking 51% of shots in conference play also sticks out to me but isn't a surprise.

I like the psychologist. These guys have tough personas and even being close friends and teammates they most likely aren't going to decide to open up randomly about their "childhood trauma" with no prior mention. Having a professional with success on his record come in and have the players buy in to the FACT that if they are closer personally and know what has made each person who they are it will result in more success. Everybody has to go through something, it's life. Connecting on that level is anything but negative. I went on a Spiritain retreat long ago without knowing what I was getting myself into and there was a similar experience that I found value in.

Defense will have to be superb tomorrow. 

1/11/2024 3:25 pm  #42

BluffHunter wrote:

Wow... Nebraska beat #1 Purdue Tuesday I didn't catch that. 

Last Sellout was 2/4/2012 against Richmond

Grant and Clark taking 51% of shots in conference play also sticks out to me but isn't a surprise.

I like the psychologist. These guys have tough personas and even being close friends and teammates they most likely aren't going to decide to open up randomly about their "childhood trauma" with no prior mention. Having a professional with success on his record come in and have the players buy in to the FACT that if they are closer personally and know what has made each person who they are it will result in more success. Everybody has to go through something, it's life. Connecting on that level is anything but negative. I went on a Spiritain retreat long ago without knowing what I was getting myself into and there was a similar experience that I found value in.

Defense will have to be superb tomorrow. 

I remember that Richmond game well. We beat them. TJ played great. After the game though, my car was towed from the alley where I had been parking for about 3 straight years. Every home game.  The cop was waiting for us to tell us where to go. Still makes me mad.

1/13/2024 8:00 am  #43

Obviously Coach, this was answered with the Dayton Game. Thanks for all you have done but it’s time…

1/17/2024 2:52 pm  #44

I haven't posted much here lately for a number of reasons. Mostly I learn way more here than I contribute on this board thanks to those who possess much more knowledge of the game of basketball than I. However, let me add regarding the coaching position, that everyone has a shelf life in any walk of life. Examples of those folks are Mike Tomlin, Chuck Noll, Chuck Tanner, and even KD. I do believe that KD's time here has been an overall plus for the program. We recovered from the previous regime's inefficiencies, and I believe that KD has represented the university well. However, it seems pretty obvious to me that the ceiling isn't going to get much higher than it has to this point. I believe 7 years to be a good barometer, a large enough sampling. My concern is, as another poster pointed out, that we might need to look outside the current coaching staff for a replacement when the time comes. While Dru Joyce seems to be the heir apparent to KD, I wonder if this would be a good move given his close association with Coach Dambrot and being seen as a disciple of his of sorts. I still cannot believe that Duquesne can't be a solid program such as VCU, Richmond, St. Bona, and even Dayton. I won't accept the fact that Duquesne is destined to be a mediocre program at best. There has to be a coach out there willing to come here capable of winning consistently. I do hope a good choice can be made without just turning the program over to a current member of the staff without a thorough coaching search when the time comes, and I believe it's coming fast.

Last edited by El Presidente (1/17/2024 2:55 pm)

1/17/2024 5:57 pm  #45

El Presidente wrote:

I haven't posted much here lately for a number of reasons. Mostly I learn way more here than I contribute on this board thanks to those who possess much more knowledge of the game of basketball than I. However, let me add regarding the coaching position, that everyone has a shelf life in any walk of life. Examples of those folks are Mike Tomlin, Chuck Noll, Chuck Tanner, and even KD. I do believe that KD's time here has been an overall plus for the program. We recovered from the previous regime's inefficiencies, and I believe that KD has represented the university well. However, it seems pretty obvious to me that the ceiling isn't going to get much higher than it has to this point. I believe 7 years to be a good barometer, a large enough sampling. My concern is, as another poster pointed out, that we might need to look outside the current coaching staff for a replacement when the time comes. While Dru Joyce seems to be the heir apparent to KD, I wonder if this would be a good move given his close association with Coach Dambrot and being seen as a disciple of his of sorts. I still cannot believe that Duquesne can't be a solid program such as VCU, Richmond, St. Bona, and even Dayton. I won't accept the fact that Duquesne is destined to be a mediocre program at best. There has to be a coach out there willing to come here capable of winning consistently. I do hope a good choice can be made without just turning the program over to a current member of the staff without a thorough coaching search when the time comes, and I believe it's coming fast.

We need a coach like RE that knew how to compete with high level teams at a mid-major level.. Heck RE is  62,  (my correction) and KD is looking 66 in the face. Very few coaches can come in here and teach a team to run like RE did. Last game, for example, set half court, feed to the center, to only go 2 for 11 inside ? it's just like  NINE turnovers? That was the game, right there, not KD's lame rant. post game? Bad coaching.  That was last night's  game right there. Every time a half-court team is behind, they don't catch up because, by design, they can't run.  Dru Joyce played pro ball. He is the best choice, (out side of offering RE a million for 2 years to teach Joyce to run). DU will never  until we get that coach  and play that style. My  choice, offer Ron for 2 years for a KD price, then for Joyce, with a set running pro team in place for two years, then hope Joyce knows enough to run that pro game. Ron beat ranked teams and on any night was never out of it. His defenses at time just killed teams. KD hasn't had any such games.  If RE had this recruitment advantage, DU would still be on the top BB map. Ron was paid around 320,000 a year, only to replace by an idiot for 700,000 a year, only to be replace by KD for 1 million, (yet KD was only making 400,000 a year at Akron?) Who is making these decisions? Hell, get Ron here for 2 years to get Joyce set to run RE's style of play. ( Just asking for  friend) In all of basketball dynasties, it's not the players, it's only the coach.  Those coaches are rare, and yes, we fired one. Yes, we are cursed.

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/18/2024 4:50 pm)

1/17/2024 6:13 pm  #46

Yes hire RE. Problem AD would never do it. Give RE Gormley, the Cooper Center & a NIL budget he would kill it. Plus Duquesne nation would be pumped. Sorry Dave but RE can coach his ass off. Final point Dambrot did a nice job after following the Dr. Chuck, Quinipiac Clown & Ferry era. However it’s time as the great Chuck Noll said is move on to your life’s work. This ship is sinking with a ton  of talent. I hate being negative. Go Dukes.

Last edited by Ironduke81 (1/17/2024 6:13 pm)

1/17/2024 6:15 pm  #47

This is a very solid post that presents the situation with wisdom & moderation.

I doubt many of us know enough about Dru Joyce the coach or Dru Joyce the person to have a definitive opinion on whether he should or should not be the next coach. I certainly don't. Based on what we do know, Dru deserves fair consideration for the position.

I am certain that handing the job to Joyce as a part of a pre-determined succession plan without an exhaustive search that aims to secure DU a truly great coaching candidate for the program's specific, current needs would be a grave error. To be clear, this is not because I have anything against Dru or because I think he has been tainted by KD. I just think that the head coaching position at Duquesne is now more attractive than it has been in at least 35 years & the right combination of inducements, university commitment, & salary could land the Dukes a great coach.

El Presidente wrote:

1/17/2024 6:28 pm  #48

Phil95 respect your opinions. Problem with Joyce he first hires his dad. Sorry do we remember Jim Satalin & his loser brother. Second point the coaching staff remains. Sorry I am over the Ohio/ Michigan recruiting zones. Unless Dambrot steps aside & hands Joyce the reigns can’t give him the job.

1/17/2024 6:36 pm  #49

Ironduke81 wrote:

Yes hire RE. Problem AD would never do it. Give RE Gormley, the Cooper Center & a NIL budget he would kill it. Plus Duquesne nation would be pumped. Sorry Dave but RE can coach his ass off. Final point Dambrot did a nice job after following the Dr. Chuck, Quinipiac Clown & Ferry era. However it’s time as the great Chuck Noll said is move on to your life’s work. This ship is sinking with a ton  of talent. I hate being negative. Go Dukes.

I, like your post. It's the reality. But if DJ get's the job and does not put a pro offense run style game in place, then he will be history too. I have seen a wide variety of articles about the lack of pro offensive training in college ball today to prepare players to play in the NBA. today. RE got a lot of players into pro ball. KD, not so much. Ferry ?   Also, RE, the most successes, Ferry, ZERO, KD zero?   

1/18/2024 8:37 am  #50

I have no problem with RE, but who knows if he would want it.  As the season continues, it is clearer and clearer that we have been turned but NOT SAVED!
Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (1/18/2024 8:42 am)

Board footera