Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2024 4:08 pm  #1

Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers (H)

7:00pm EST tip on Friday 1/12/2024 at the UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, Pittsburgh, PA

Betting line: Dukes are 1½ point favorites; Over/Under 138½
Duquesne 4-9 Against the Spread: Dayton 7-6-1 ATS

NET Ranking:  Dukes 87; Dayton 21

Per KenPom (362 D-1 Teams):
Dukes #101 (9-5; 0-2 A10) vs Dayton #31 (12-2; 2-0 A10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 3, 72-69 - Dukes with 40% probability of a win.
https://kenpom.com/gameprep.php?g=2921 
Per Haslametrics:
Dukes #115 vs Dayton #20
Game prediction:  Dukes lose by 7, 73.52-66.57
https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4359&tid2=4391&neut=0
Per BartTorvik:
Dukes #88 vs Dayton #33
Game prediction:  Dukes lose by 2, 72-70 - Dukes with a 43% probability of a win.
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Duquesne&year=2024 
Duquesne Preview: https://goduquesne.com/news/2024/1/11/mens-basketball-dukes-open-a-10-home-schedule-vs-dayton.aspx Duquesne Game Notes: https://goduquesne.com/documents/2024/1/11/15_Dayton.pdf Dayton Game Notes: https://daytonflyers.com/news/2024/1/10/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-travels-to-pittsburgh-to-visit-duquesne.aspx
Sports Reference College Basketball Team Pages:
Duquesne:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/men/2024.html Dayton: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/dayton/men/2024.html 
Dukes KenPom Best Wins: UC Irvine (72); Bradley (93); College of Charleston (115); Marshall (175)   
Dukes KenPom Worst Losses: Loyola Chicago (125); Santa Clara (109); UMass (94); Princeton (49); Nebraska (39) 
Dayton KenPom Best Wins: Cincinnati (32); St. John's (35); SMU (47); LSU (84) 
Dayton KenPom Worst Losses: Northwestern (55); Houston (1)

Shooting Percentage Offense/Defense (per KenPom)
Dukes 3 Point:  Offense 33.9%, 156 in D-1; Defense 34.6%, 247 in D-1
Dayton 3 Point:  Offense 40.5%, 6 in D-1; Defense 32.5%, 131 in D-1
Dukes 2 Point:  Offense 49.7%, 197 in D-1; Defense 47.9%, 101 in D-1
Dayton 2 Point:  Offense 53.9%, 59 in D-1; Defense 45.6%, 42 in D-1
Dukes FT:  Offense 69.9%, 238 in D-1; Defense 70.3%, 141 in D-1
Dayton FT:  Offense 75.2%, 58 in D-1; Defense 70.8%, 167 in D-1

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions (per KenPom)
Dayton Adj Offense Efficiency - 118.4; 11 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense dEfficiency - 102.3; 113 in D-1
Dayton Adj Defense Efficiency - 101.3; 99 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 109.6; 92 in D-1
Dayton Adj Tempo - 63.0; 357 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 68.5; 189 in D-1

Miscellaneous (per KenPom)
Experience - Dayton 2.38 yrs; 77 in D-1; Dukes 2.74 yrs; 28 in D-1
Average Height - Dayton 77.0"; 212 in D-1; Dukes 76.2"; 321 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/12/2024 9:12 am)

1/11/2024 4:57 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers (H)

Look at Daytons worst losses!! Oh my.
We can win… we need to play PERFECT though.
Go Dukes

1/12/2024 9:32 am  #3

Upon waking up today I can feel the energy. Let's turn this season around! I hope the students follow Stew's direction tonight and get rowdy!

1/12/2024 2:39 pm  #4

Santa Clara beat #23 Gonzaga last night.

1/12/2024 7:57 pm  #5

I’d give clark and grant until the first tv timeout in the 2nd half, if their heads are still up their asses, bench them.  DiMichelle, Nichols and Rozier instead.  Or maybe play 2 bigs at the same time.  No 4 can shoot or rebound.  Put dixon and Marhocic out there at same time. 

Looks real nice on tv.  Too bad we cant shoot for sh*t.

1/12/2024 7:58 pm  #6

We cannot win if Clark and Grant continue to be missing in action. Good contributions from others. Great to see this from Dimichele again. Need to rebound the ball in half number 2.

1/12/2024 8:25 pm  #7

The last 3 games have exposed the Duke's player development, game preparation, & in-game coaching for the trash that it is. Dayton is very good, has a stud in Holmes, & do a fine job at executing their offensive & defensive schemes but, they are shooting poorly from the field, 3pt, & FT line while still embarrassing the Dukes in every phase of the game while playing on the road missing one starter.

1/12/2024 8:38 pm  #8

Dambrot is killing this team.  Necas  has no business out there with dimichele and marhocic.  They cut it to 4.   Good time to rest dixon and clark.  Cmon man!!!   Might have ended their chance with idiotic substitutions.

1/12/2024 8:55 pm  #9

Garbage garbage garbage

1/12/2024 9:00 pm  #10

Wow now we under achieve. I saw some predictions putting the Dukes in the top 50. Looks like that was an over estimate. Why watch or pay attention to this? Pathetic

1/12/2024 9:05 pm  #11

No surprise.

1/12/2024 9:10 pm  #12

Poor shooting, poor passing.  Plenty of floor mistakes by 5th and 6th year players.  That game should have been closer than the final result.

1/12/2024 9:13 pm  #13

I probably wont care much any more this year.  Dambrot gotta go.  Sorry.   I appreciate his efforts, and guys he brought in during covid and the portal, but his style isnt working.  I hope Dru Joyce isnt just a younger Dambrot.

Holmes was just too much.  Curios whats up with his neck.  He looks in pain.  Grant will find another Holmes or Toppin next year, they always have a scoring big. 

I liked the way Necas defended in the 2nd half.  If he can start scoring, he could be a nice player if he sticks around.

1/12/2024 10:29 pm  #14

Really tired of watching this offense.  In the first half we repeatedly watched Grant and Clark try to go one-on-five!  Nice offense coach.  They need to play Necas and DiMichelle it was the only time the ball moved from side-to-side.  I’m really sick of this garbage excuse for a college-level offense.  It is an insult to anyone who loves the game. 
Don’t try and explain this away by claiming Dayton is such a great team; at least tonight they were very beatable.  Holmes could have gotten his points, but a competent team still wins this game.  Dayton left the door open so many times but Duquesne was unable to take advantage, mainly due to their own poor play. The substitutions made no sense.  They cut the lead from 12 to 4 with the ball and he pulls three guys off the court that contributed to the comeback!  Certainly these are well-trained athletes that can extend themselves now and then in a heated game.  I know you never feel tired when the game is going your way!  That’s when you find another gear!  Here we are halfway through the season and the coaches still don’t know who and when to substitute.  It looks like a year-long audition.   
Dave, save your money on the sports psychologist and spend it on a real coach.

1/13/2024 7:09 am  #15

I’ve kept my opinions to myself for the start of this season.  But the Amodio era produced an NIT team with no funding. 

The Harper era has thrown money at the problem. An over bloated athletic department and a men’s coach who keeps saying “it’s not easy to win at Duquesne.”   

The Harper era makes you long for the Amodio era. 

Dambrots teams get worse than better.  So they will maybe finish with 5 A-10 wins.  Pathetic.

1/13/2024 7:47 am  #16

Based on their history against Richmond (10-26) and St. Joe's (19-41), this team is looking at 0-5 in the conference. 

1/13/2024 9:40 am  #17

1/13/2024 10:13 am  #18

Well. same words we hear every year...gotta figure it out...gotta get over the hump...we have heard this for 7 years.  Why have the last 3 teams we have played figured it out Coach?  

It's time...

1/13/2024 10:19 am  #19

DaRon Holmes was just amazing to watch in person. I don't know where Dae Dae was the first 30 minutes.

1/13/2024 10:24 am  #20

They did nothing to slow Holmes, allowed him to dribble and dribble to get into position to score.  They never attacked the ball when he was dribbling endlessly.  Holmes will never get away with that crap against any decent college defense!

1/13/2024 10:56 am  #21

levon1975 wrote:

Really tired of watching this offense. In the first half we repeatedly watched Grant and Clark try to go one-on-five! Nice offense coach. They need to play Necas and DiMichelle it was the only time the ball moved from side-to-side. I’m really sick of this garbage excuse for a college-level offense. It is an insult to anyone who loves the game.
Don’t try and explain this away by claiming Dayton is such a great team; at least tonight they were very beatable. Holmes could have gotten his points, but a competent team still wins this game. Dayton left the door open so many times but Duquesne was unable to take advantage, mainly due to their own poor play. The substitutions made no sense. They cut the lead from 12 to 4 with the ball and he pulls three guys off the court that contributed to the comeback! Certainly these are well-trained athletes that can extend themselves now and then in a heated game. I know you never feel tired when the game is going your way! That’s when you find another gear! Here we are halfway through the season and the coaches still don’t know who and when to substitute. It looks like a year-long audition.
Dave, save your money on the sports psychologist and spend it on a real coach.

Every time the Dukes get a run going this season, KD subs in and kills it.  Let the guys in there until the other coach subs in to stop our run.

1/13/2024 11:08 am  #22

The Dukes need a starting five that will give us a lead, not dig a hole. Dukes need to start using their advantage of big players. Start playing 2 guard offense and 3 bigs both in practice and on game day or we continue to lose.  Push the pace in transition and always to the hoop.  Dukes don't win scoring 60 points. Dixon got to the hoop, but passed it away? Even the announcers wondered WTF?  Drive to the hoop and make them foul. KD will continue to lose if nothing changes. One more thing. DiMichelle can and should play a lot going forward. This season isn't over, but it's time to do some things different. 

1/13/2024 12:03 pm  #23

1/13/2024 12:05 pm  #24

Holmes was a perimeter player last night until someone else shot then he sprinted to the basket, got rebs and put backs.   Our guys stand and watch the shot, rarely box out, never follow up their own shots.  Really bad fundamentals.

1/13/2024 12:23 pm  #25

BluffHunter wrote:

Stew on ESPN2... Love it.

https://twitter.com/A10Talk/status/1745968278986531005

Go Stew.  Love your passion for the Dukes.

Board footera