Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2024 9:51 am  #1

Why has there been a drop in posters ?

I would like to know why there has been a considerable drop in people posting on this forum. If you are a former poster, please explain why you no longer post. If you still post, speculate why you think people no longer post.

1/14/2024 12:29 pm  #2

Re: Why has there been a drop in posters ?

I was getting quite turned off by the negative posts.  I will say, though, that I have seen a change.  The criticisms seem more thought through and make “basketball sense” and in the majority of cases deserved .  It isn’t merely venom   Lots of knowledgeable people on the board and I learn interesting angles.  Just guess I do not usually have much to add.  Happy posting.

1/14/2024 3:15 pm  #3

It's fine to be analytical, but the negativity gets to be too much.  Duke fans are out there (see the Dayton game), but negative know-it alls get to be too much. Nobody likes losing, but some people handle it way better in life than others.  Constructive criticism is fine, Constant b*tching doesn't do anyone any good,

1/14/2024 3:18 pm  #4

P.S.  There were a lot more Duke fans and a lot less Dayton fans than I expected at the sell-out.  It was great even though we came up short.

1/14/2024 3:54 pm  #5

I check in here just about every day. Lots to learn and I truly enjoy reading  the discussions, but I just don't have that much to add, so I post infrequently.  I do appreciate this board very much depsite not posting.

That's just me though. I imagine that everything from merchandise sales, to ticket sales and student attendance is all highly  influenced by how our  team is doing. "Traffic"  on this forum is likely no different.  The Dukes have not yet lived up to the expectations of many here and i suppose some posters are losing interest.  Stacking some wins might just reverse that trend.  Let's Go Duquesne

1/14/2024 5:49 pm  #6

The dearth of recruiting news, visits, signings, etc..., as compared to past years, over the last 6-7 months has slowed down my posting.

I suspect that as soon as the the announcement of next year's coach & the official opening of the portal will change that in a hurry.

I also feel like many posters see discussing the qualities & deficiencies of individual players as a sacrilege or being mean/disloyal to the players. In an attempt to piss others off less, I just post less.

1/14/2024 7:31 pm  #7

25-years ago, in 1998, Motor, duq81, Denny Conrory & I started the first Duquesne Fans Message Board on the Iside The Web forum.  We moved to the Voy Forum, Rivals and then to here in 2012. I have always been good at finding information on the web about basketball, Duquesne and recruiting and felt the obligation to share it on these forums. Over the last 6 months I just don't feel that obligation anymore.  With Twitter and the ease of getting information I have encouraged others to step up and share.  This Board will be as good as other people care to make it.  Some like Phoenix and Bluffhunter have stepped up and I am sure many appreciate their efforts.  

Over the years there have been numerous posters who have come and gone. There are many who do not post here anymore that I still keep in touch with.  Most of them have the same feeling as Prince posted above and quite frankly so do I.  I may not agree with some opinions but enjoy many of the good conversations on this Board.  Comments about player performance, coaching performance, coaching strategy all in bounds.  However, comments like "this kid is not an A10 player" or comments encouraging kids to transfer to a lower level turn me off.  I would rather spend my time building up their confidence than tearing them down.  

1/15/2024 2:57 am  #8

I’m still here all the time. I just really wanted my comparatively low expectations for the season to be wrong. Now that it’s looking like they weren’t I hate to sound like I’m saying I told you so.

1/15/2024 6:18 am  #9

Prince of Pilsner wrote:

It's fine to be analytical, but the negativity gets to be too much.  Duke fans are out there (see the Dayton game), but negative know-it alls get to be too much. Nobody likes losing, but some people handle it way better in life than others.  Constructive criticism is fine, Constant b*tching doesn't do anyone any good,

This is exactly it.

1/15/2024 8:13 am  #10

I agree with Prince of Pilsner and Face.  That plus I don't consider myself an expert and generally most don't respond to anything I say anyway unless it's some smart ass comment. 

1/15/2024 9:35 am  #11

I'm still here, posting might be down on my end, but I will always want the Dukes to win.   I want us all to have the experience in life of our team making it to a NCAA tournament, to be part of that week, when we can actually put the Duquesne name in our brackets.   But its getting tough for me to care as much as I used to.   I will always be a DU fan, man, alum, but getting kicked in the balls every year isnt fun.

1/15/2024 10:16 am  #12

I love this board and have been an avid follower/reader for many many years.  The negative comments don't bother me as I think that is part of the back-and-forth and banter.  I actually think there is always great discussion, opinions and point of views mentioned on this board.

I think the slow down recently has to do with the play on the court.  I was a graduate of Duquesne in 2008 and Grad School in 2010.  My sister, brother, cousin, dad and uncle were all graduates.  My dad and Uncle had season tickets for many years (both have passed away).  I was so excited for this season I bought (2) season tickets to keep our family tradition going.

I don't want to speak for everyone but I believe no one thought we would be sitting an 9-6 overall and 0-3 in conference play.  And this brings some disappointment and lack of interest.  I thought they had a good non-conference slate and played well and these first three conference games have taken the stem away from the year and program.

1/16/2024 12:32 pm  #13

I like posting. I have been a Dukes fan since about 1967 since my Uncle had gone here in the 60's and got me going to games.  Every year hold the promise of that compo of players and coaching.  This year we have lots of talent and a coaching staff that still can  make a run, but until this team does that, then just don't expect a lot of fans to contribute here.  Go Dukes.

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/16/2024 7:49 pm)

1/16/2024 2:13 pm  #14

Mulder wrote:

I agree with Prince of Pilsner and Face.  That plus I don't consider myself an expert and generally most don't respond to anything I say anyway unless it's some smart ass comment. 

I've been a Dukes fan since Somerset & Willard ruled the back court. Mulder's comment perfectly describes my experiences here as well. Furthermore, I don't like attacks on the players. I may have a preference as to who should get more playing time but sometimes things just get mean spirited.

1/18/2024 2:41 pm  #15

I think that there is a drop due to the moderation of this website. There are a lot of people that post and are either censored or have their posts deleted.  I posted on here years ago about my doubts about Keith Dambrot.  I still read the blog every day, even though I was banned.  Like an earlier poster, I am a die hard Dukes fan and graduated in 2009.  I basically presented all the stats between Dambrot and Everhart.  The heart of the argument was that Dambrot was not cutting it. Plain and simple.  He has a 7 year, 7 million dollar contract and we have no NIT or NCAA to show for it.  He also let a 20 win team basically walk away and they all went on to success at their subsequent programs, ie. Eric Williams, Sincere Carry, Weather twins, Michael Hughes, etc.  When I posted this, my posts were deleted and I was kicked off of the board.  I still have no idea why to this day.  

1/18/2024 2:59 pm  #16

Don't know who deleted it, if it wasn't profane...not saying it was.  Welcome Back!

Go. Dukes!

1/21/2024 11:01 am  #17

I haven't been here in a long time. Had my left knee replaced in June and the other in December.  Also, at the ripe old age of 58 I am back in (online) grad school, getting graduate credits to teach community college, for my district and when I retire in a few years.  Was so busy, kind of missed the start of the season. Hard to catch up. Looks like I didn't miss much.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/21/2024 11:40 am  #18

Oh, apart from the negativity referenced earlier, particularly from people who have been on that train for multiple decades now, let’s not forget that the tenor around college sports has changed in a way that I just can’t get excited about anymore.

How many of us are really excited about NIL management, which even Nick Saban says is out of control and unsustainable? Or the instant transfer portal? Or the increasing divide between the big conferences and everyone else? We all know that last one in particular is just a ticking time bomb.

How many big-sport athletes go to a D-1 school these days and have an experience in any way related to what the average alum did, if they’re even there for a full year? There’s just no soul to it.

Last edited by Face (1/21/2024 11:46 am)

1/21/2024 12:47 pm  #19

I see that many people are citing the reason of negativity as the reason of not posting. I find this difficult to digest as we are talking about basketball and unfortunately for us fans, our team is on one of the worst 40 year runs in basketball history of a mid major program. What I agree with is What Face states: the NLI, transfer portal and conference jumping.

1/21/2024 12:48 pm  #20

Seems to be working for Dayton, Richmond, GMU & VCU. Just saying. The DOJ just filed a lawsuit against the NCAA in regard to the transfer rule. The universal rule is death, taxes & change.

1/21/2024 2:36 pm  #21

I don’t care that it works for some schools, I care that it sucks and it’s not fun to root for.  It worked for Saban too, but he can still recognize it’s a problem. Big difference between “it’s working” and “I like it and it’s fun to be a fan.” I don’t say this only as a DU fan, I have affiliations with other schools too.

Regarding negativity, there’s criticism, and then  there’s being a horse’s rear. It feels like there’s a race here to be as outspoken as possible sometimes.

Last edited by Face (1/21/2024 2:46 pm)

1/21/2024 3:40 pm  #22

Face wrote:

I don’t care that it works for some schools, I care that it sucks and it’s not fun to root for.  It worked for Saban too, but he can still recognize it’s a problem. Big difference between “it’s working” and “I like it and it’s fun to be a fan.” I don’t say this only as a DU fan, I have affiliations with other schools too.

Regarding negativity, there’s criticism, and then  there’s being a horse’s rear. It feels like there’s a race here to be as outspoken as possible sometimes.

Again not to get into a pissing contest the DOJ filing a lawsuit against the NCAA is the reality of today’s college sports. Duquesne has to adapt or move down to Div 3. Gee my comment was really mean. 😂

1/21/2024 3:50 pm  #23

Never said you were being mean, that second half was replying to what Wildwood said about negativity.

I understand exactly why all of this is in place, I don’t care the reason, I am saying that the manifestation of it is dull. It sucks. It’s not engaging. It’s not inviting to the fans who went to the schools.

It’s like you’re saying that, because there is an understandable reason for it, it’s not allowed to be a bad thing. Yes we have to live with it at least for now. My reaction has been to engage significantly less with D1 basketball and the FBS.

Last edited by Face (1/21/2024 3:58 pm)

1/21/2024 4:32 pm  #24

The transfer portal and NIL have lessened my interest in college sports. Couple that with Dukes’ struggles and I don’t follow the team as closely as I once did.  But the main reason I don’t post are the posters who have to be right. I have no problem with differences of opinion.  But some on here have to always be right, can’t stand an opposing view and resort to attacking anyone who challenges their self proclaimed authority. I’m not that thin skinned but it’s just not worth it to get into with them - over basketball. 

1/23/2024 10:44 am  #25

It's just the definition of insanity Wildwood, that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Board footera