Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2024 12:13 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - University of Dayton Flyers (H)

Richmond is coming to town Tuesday 3-0 in league play. Us dropping another home game to go 0-4 would sting a lot. Must win.

1/14/2024 5:10 pm  #27

Have to value possessions much more than they have done to this point in close, competitive games.  I doubt this can be turned around at this point in the season, but hopefully this is a priority in practice.  Firing up a quick three , without moving the ball is not going to work especially when your team doesn’t shoot at a high percentage.

1/15/2024 10:24 am  #28

I am no basketball coach or expert but I thought the difference in the Dayton game were two items.
1.)  Shooting the ball
2.)  Coaching.

If Duquesne shots the 3-ball half decent it is a one possession game.  I do not understand Coach Dambrot's subs during the game.  Beginning of 2nd half Tre Williams starts and makes two great moves down low and makes both baskets and around the 16:41 mark is taken out of the game.  Do not understand why.

Jake DiMichele is playing very very well - why didnt we see him more in the rotation during non-confernece?

Listening to post-game press conference, to me, it is frustrating to hear Coach say he pretty much has no idea of a rotation and who to play coming off the bench.  That is what non-conference is for.  I understand we had 2 key injuries to Williams and Mahoric but we should have a better feel of rotation.

Andrei Savrasov has been a disappointment for me.  He lacks aggression of a 5th year player - we needed him or one of the Drames to step up at the 4 spot and that has not occurred.

I am 50/50 on Rozier, cannot figure him out.  I think the lineup is better with him coming off the bench.  I think Duquesne is at their best with this possibly:
PG:  Clark
SG:  Grant
SF:  Drame
PF:  Williams
C:  Dixon

I personally like the bigger lineup over the smaller lineup, especially in A-10 play.  Rozier, DiMichele, Mahoric, Barre and other Drame coming off bench.  

Just some random thoughts.

1/15/2024 10:52 am  #29

CLK wrote:

Bsduq2008 wrote:

I am no basketball coach or expert but I thought the difference in the Dayton game were two items.
1.)  Shooting the ball
2.)  Coaching.

If Duquesne shots the 3-ball half decent it is a one possession game.  I do not understand Coach Dambrot's subs during the game.  Beginning of 2nd half Tre Williams starts and makes two great moves down low and makes both baskets and around the 16:41 mark is taken out of the game.  Do not understand why.

Jake DiMichele is playing very very well - why didnt we see him more in the rotation during non-confernece?

Listening to post-game press conference, to me, it is frustrating to hear Coach say he pretty much has no idea of a rotation and who to play coming off the bench.  That is what non-conference is for.  I understand we had 2 key injuries to Williams and Mahoric but we should have a better feel of rotation.

Andrei Savrasov has been a disappointment for me.  He lacks aggression of a 5th year player - we needed him or one of the Drames to step up at the 4 spot and that has not occurred.

I am 50/50 on Rozier, cannot figure him out.  I think the lineup is better with him coming off the bench.  I think Duquesne is at their best with this possibly:
PG:  Clark
SG:  Grant
SF:  Drame
PF:  Williams
C:  Dixon

I personally like the bigger lineup over the smaller lineup, especially in A-10 play.  Rozier, DiMichele, Mahoric, Barre and other Drame coming off bench.  

Just some random thoughts.

Good post. I also liked the chemistry of David Dixon and Tre Williams together.  They gave us the best stretch of aggressive inside play on Friday and were instrumental in cutting the lead to 4 before they were subed out, which I didn't understand and promptly led to a 12 point deficit. . I think this combo could be one of the answers for KD

1/15/2024 11:13 am  #30

Thanks CLK I agree that Williams and Dixon have the best "touch" other than Mahoric (still out of shape) which is understandable since he has played in games for a year and a half.

I think the bigger lineup is the way to go. 

Rozier is 1st guard off bench.  DiMichele 2nd.
     Mahoric/Barre to replace Dixon
     You can slide Drame to the (4) if Rozier comes in.

I am not knocking a player or don't want to sound negative but to me Savrasov I just don't see having minutes.  I rather see Necas play.  I think Necas' defensively is ahead of his offensive game.  I thought he did a good job guarding Holmes and help doubling him since he is quicker laterally. I rather see more from him than Savrasov - coach D gave him his chance and he has not capitalized. 

I think both Drames are long, hustle, rebound and play good defense.  Their scoring isn't great but if they do the things above I think we would be ok.

Tre started the 2nd half off so strong and then basically never saw the court again - just lost on why.  He played only 11 minutes - maybe still getting into game shape but would have liked to see him bore around 16-18 minutes.  I believe it would have gone a long way.

1/15/2024 11:29 am  #31

Bsduq208, Savrasov's play is a mystery to me.  His confidence seems to have taken a hit as he struggles to understand his role.  I guess the same could be said of the Drame twins.  Maybe some may disagree but to me these guys have all the tools to be really good players.  Savrasov is at his best when he takes the ball strong to the rack but needs to finish more consistently.  Again, the same could be said of the Drames. I could be wrong, but I think these guys will improve when and if Dambrot defines their roles.

I like Necas, but to me he needs to be more aggressive in driving the ball until he develops his three point shooting. Hei is a future star for the Dukes along with DiMichele.

1/15/2024 12:58 pm  #32

CLK wrote:

Bsduq208, Savrasov's play is a mystery to me.  His confidence seems to have taken a hit as he struggles to understand his role.  I guess the same could be said of the Drame twins.  Maybe some may disagree but to me these guys have all the tools to be really good players.  Savrasov is at his best when he takes the ball strong to the rack but needs to finish more consistently.  Again, the same could be said of the Drames. I could be wrong, but I think these guys will improve when and if Dambrot defines their roles.

I like Necas, but to me he needs to be more aggressive in driving the ball until he develops his three point shooting. Hei is a future star for the Dukes along with DiMichele.

Agreed - Savrasov some times looks so refined and good.  He has some strong moves to the hoop but he lacks the finish.  His play is a complete mystery to me.  And I might be overthinking it.  Same with Drames - agree again with you I just love their length on defense and their rebounding.  

I don't think Duquesne needs much - if those (3) combined could get 14 pts and 10 boards a game that would be fine with me.

Agree with Necas - he seems a little lost of the offensive side.  Such a big body already - really think he can be a star if he gains confidence on offense.  

It is so frustrating - I believe they have so many good pieces but they don't seem to be meshing together.  It is just so strange to me.  

1/15/2024 1:00 pm  #33

CLK wrote:

CLK “If Dambrot defines their roles” so agree. Every player has strengths & weaknesses. Good scouting & coaching by opponents are geared to take away the strengths. I don’t know if Coach Dambrot can dictate defined roles this late in either his career or the season? Guaranteed Richmond’s coaching staff has a plan come Tuesday. 

1/15/2024 3:16 pm  #34

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

CLK “If Dambrot defines their roles” so agree. Every player has strengths & weaknesses. Good scouting & coaching by opponents are geared to take away the strengths. I don’t know if Coach Dambrot can dictate defined roles this late in either his career or the season? Guaranteed Richmond’s coaching staff has a plan come Tuesday. 

I just caught myself saying "on Tuesday" about the Richmond game as well... Tuesday is tomorrow! Go Steelers and Dukes. 

Board footera