Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2024 7:21 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - University of Richmond Spiders

BluffHunter wrote:

I think we got screwed more by the refs in the Nebraska game... and like it was mentioned the team cannot put itself in the position where officiating can make a difference... but the more I think about it the worse it gets. Dambrot is right. Every ref in the country should be standing beside him saying call the timeout when you need it in that scenario with less than two minutes left. I do not know how that ball can get inbounded, dambrot and co scream for a timeout, there be an INADVERTANT WHISTLE, and then Dayton recieves the ball. It's true Dixon gave the ball away by that point but why was there an inadvertant whistle then? It should have been a timeout. Then Jimmy has a clear path to the hoop and intentionally hugged on his way. I also think 3 of the fouls on Dimichele were bad calls as he just rips the ball straight out of the opposing team's hands. Saturday is big because Tuesday against Bonaventure is going to be quite the environment and probably the same reffing sh*tshow. This is not a bottom four team.

It should have never been that close to count. Drame not in there, when he was one of the only reasons we were ahead. all game?  What, 2 for 3 from the 3 point range? His steals and over all offense and D was a major part of our run, but in the end?  At the end, 2 Drames, Andrea, Rozier and Clark should have been in there. It would have been a max defense, and quick hands and most importance,  experience !  At KD's post game, he said he hasn't seen them enough to put these 5th year players in there?  Really? AND, clear;y, most of these loses, the computers and betting sites picked DU to win, if coached correctly, but we lost a S-load of  those games we clearly should have won? Not just my opinion. Bad coaching.

Last edited by NapaDuke (1/17/2024 7:54 pm)

1/17/2024 8:15 pm  #52

BluffHunter wrote:

Coach Postgame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBYRx12Wt6s

This was excellent to watch. Dambrot not only had his team’s back calling out the refs, but he also took ownership of our own inability to put the game away, citing our mistakes and missed opportunities down the stretch. For whoever called him (and me LOL) a loser, I could not disagree more. Classy, candid interview.

We could have a coach doing this nonsense during games (see below). Now this is classless, loser behavior:

https://twitter.com/thefieldof68/status/1747467398062428650?s=42&t=eE6FYhnPKI253PBowNT5Zw

1/17/2024 8:40 pm  #53

CityDuke wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

Coach Postgame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBYRx12Wt6s

This was excellent to watch. Dambrot not only had his team’s back calling out the refs, but he also took ownership of our own inability to put the game away, citing our mistakes and missed opportunities down the stretch. For whoever called him (and me LOL) a loser, I could not disagree more. Classy, candid interview.

We could have a coach doing this nonsense during games (see below). Now this is classless, loser behavior:

AMUSING!!   That is RATHER TAME compared to Louie Carnesseca at St. Johns 0  there were a LOT of times where hw was a "ONE MAN ZONE{
https://twitter.com/thefieldof68/status/1747467398062428650?s=42&t=eE6FYhnPKI253PBowNT5Zw

1/18/2024 12:03 am  #54

City Duke, stand by this coach with multiple excuses, and yes you are both losers. His winning percentage in A-10 is44% at the lowest point in A-10 history. He is doing a great job!!! Stop the nonsense in pointing me out. Like the coach you are looking for excuses. That’s a loser in my book. Just win and prove me wrong.  He hasn’t beaten a team better than 64 in the rankings. Get real with your assessment and quit attacking me because you have no clue!!!!

1/18/2024 8:40 am  #55

Wildwood,
I like your facts and data, but please let City Duke be a Dambrot supporter without ripping him.  City Duke, please let Wildwood be a Dambrot criticizer without ripping him.  This year, this board has probably done a really good job with objective facts and data.  Folks can still have positive and negative options of the program, and even the coach.  But let's not rip each other to bits.
Go Dukes

1/18/2024 8:44 am  #56

I would never put the outcome of a game on officiating, it allows for to many errors to be forgiven. As with all sports that rely on officials it seems that the players get faster and more athletic making it more demanding.  Jamie Luckie was one of the 3 officials on Tuesday and to say the least he has lost a step but to me the bigger issue is the work load these guys take on. 
One of the categories KenPom tracks is officials and the games they do. Many of these guys especially the top 75 or so work 5 times a week and the 20 or so every night.  I don’t know how that’s possible. 
Quick example, Ron Groover considered one of the best, has worked 57 games this year and has worked 7 consecutive days since Thursday of last week. On Sunday he did a game at 4PM in Wilmington NC, noon Monday he had the Michigan/ Ohio St game in Ann Arbor.

Last edited by The Dome (1/18/2024 8:53 am)

1/18/2024 9:15 am  #57

FAM wrote:

Wildwood,
I like your facts and data, but please let City Duke be a Dambrot supporter without ripping him.  City Duke, please let Wildwood be a Dambrot criticizer without ripping him.  This year, this board has probably done a really good job with objective facts and data.  Folks can still have positive and negative options of the program, and even the coach.  But let's not rip each other to bits.
Go Dukes

Thanks FAM

1/18/2024 9:28 am  #58

FAM wrote:

Wildwood,
Go Dukes

No problem , but if you look he called me out and then continued. I wasn’t going to respond to any of his post in the future.

1/18/2024 9:29 am  #59

Thank you FAM. Completely agree, and to be completely honest I am struggling to find any malice in my posts. But I apologize to the board if I my messages incited this level of incivility.

1/18/2024 10:18 am  #60

BluffHunter wrote:

I think we got screwed more by the refs in the Nebraska game... and like it was mentioned the team cannot put itself in the position where officiating can make a difference... but the more I think about it the worse it gets. Dambrot is right. Every ref in the country should be standing beside him saying call the timeout when you need it in that scenario with less than two minutes left. I do not know how that ball can get inbounded, dambrot and co scream for a timeout, there be an INADVERTANT WHISTLE, and then Dayton recieves the ball. It's true Dixon gave the ball away by that point but why was there an inadvertant whistle then? It should have been a timeout. Then Jimmy has a clear path to the hoop and intentionally hugged on his way. I also think 3 of the fouls on Dimichele were bad calls as he just rips the ball straight out of the opposing team's hands. Saturday is big because Tuesday against Bonaventure is going to be quite the environment and probably the same reffing sh*tshow. This is not a bottom four team.

And to get this out of my system... I agree with you all that it's the team's/coaching staff's fault for being in the position where the refs could have an effect on the game. We were up by double digits and I, like many of you, was very nervous about the impending collapse that did in fact happen. There are dozens of possessions for opportunity in a basketball game and the refs only changed the course of a couple certain "opportunities"

With that said, in the Richmond thread they seem to believe the inadvertent whistle was blown because Dambrot was calling timeout, but after the officials gathered they determined the whistle blew after Dixon had lost the ball therefore no timeout was granted. How is that okay? If you blow the whistle because a coach called a timeout it's a timeout... how can they take back a whistle they made? Next, the Richmond board believes no intentional foul was called because the Richmond coaching staff informed the officials they were planning on using their fouls. That does not make an intentional foul not an intentional foul. The reason the coaching staff would say that to the refs is so they are quicker on the whistle... not an excuse to hug somebody with a clear lane to the basket without it being called an intentional.

As for the state of this board, I believe talk has been more in depth and analytical this year. I personally know some die-hard Duquesne fans who do not participate here because they think you're a bunch of grumps that complain with no valuable conversation. These are people who would be great contributors to this board... this is THE online community for Duquesne Basketball. I also really appreciate CLK mentioning me as somebody trying to post information I see on other platforms here to spark conversation and sustain interest in this program. I do not know why posters need to begin personally insulting each other... people log onto this site once, see that, and never come back. Sometimes it's hard to convey tone through text so some people may misinterpret things... rant over. 

1/18/2024 8:55 pm  #61

BluffHunter wrote:

BluffHunter wrote:

And to get this out of my system... I agree with you all that it's the team's/coaching staff's fault for being in the position where the refs could have an effect on the game. We were up by double digits and I, like many of you, was very nervous about the impending collapse that did in fact happen. There are dozens of possessions for opportunity in a basketball game and the refs only changed the course of a couple certain "opportunities"

With that said, in the Richmond thread they seem to believe the inadvertent whistle was blown because Dambrot was calling timeout, but after the officials gathered they determined the whistle blew after Dixon had lost the ball therefore no timeout was granted. How is that okay? If you blow the whistle because a coach called a timeout it's a timeout... how can they take back a whistle they made? Next, the Richmond board believes no intentional foul was called because the Richmond coaching staff informed the officials they were planning on using their fouls. That does not make an intentional foul not an intentional foul. The reason the coaching staff would say that to the refs is so they are quicker on the whistle... not an excuse to hug somebody with a clear lane to the basket without it being called an intentional.

As for the state of this board, I believe talk has been more in depth and analytical this year. I personally know some die-hard Duquesne fans who do not participate here because they think you're a bunch of grumps that complain with no valuable conversation. These are people who would be great contributors to this board... this is THE online community for Duquesne Basketball. I also really appreciate CLK mentioning me as somebody trying to post information I see on other platforms here to spark conversation and sustain interest in this program. I do not know why posters need to begin personally insulting each other... people log onto this site once, see that, and never come back. Sometimes it's hard to convey tone through text so some people may misinterpret things... rant over. 

Well that didn’t get me over it because I rewatched the entire thing and I have a little different viewpoint of it. Maybe we would have gotten the intentional call if Dambrot actually coached the team in the final 2 minutes or did anything else besides scream maniacally at any ref that was within earshot whether the ball is live or not. Seriously… in those final 2 minutes the coach needs to keep the teams head screwed on straight. In this case the team is trying to screw the coaches head on straight and concentrate with assistants while he is losing his mind. There wasn’t a double digit “collapse” but separate 9 then 8 point comebacks by Richmond; the latter being with less than four minutes left. With a bit more than four minutes left, we made the same bonehead inbounds to Dixon when they’re pressing… they deserve to take advantage of it the second time. The Tre Clark 3 from the point with no play being ran in the biggest play of the game then not hitting the rim on the foul shot the next possession? No comment. Hopefully it’s all off my chest now. Phew. Onto Saturday where Lange isn’t particularly known for his great in-game coaching either.

Last edited by BluffHunter (1/18/2024 8:55 pm)

Board footera