Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/18/2013 10:28 pm  #1

Finally, we have a coach who can beat Robert Morris!

Thank you, Dan Burt!

12/18/2013 11:06 pm  #2

Re: Finally, we have a coach who can beat Robert Morris!

Considering we're 6-2 against Robert Morris so far this year, I think we have quite a few coaches who can beat them.

12/19/2013 6:02 am  #3

And the attendance was 520  the Bobby Mo men's team drew 516. 

Does anyone know why Wumi only tried 2 shots/scored 3 points -  Injury (none was mentioned) Foul Trouble?

12/19/2013 6:16 am  #4

SkepticAl wrote:

Does anyone know why Wumi only tried 2 shots/scored 3 points -  Injury (none was mentioned) Foul Trouble?

I think Wumi got ejected for a flagrant foul.

12/19/2013 11:18 am  #5

steve19981 wrote:

Considering we're 6-2 against Robert Morris so far this year, I think we have quite a few coaches who can beat them.

But just one basketball coach who can.

12/19/2013 12:10 pm  #6

steve19981 wrote:

Thanks for the stat Steve, I  check the scores of the "olympic" sports when I get a chance, I was pretty sure that we have been spanking RMU pretty regularly in every sport except Mens BB for quite a few years. 

12/19/2013 12:16 pm  #7

Wake me up when we can beat them in men's basketball. While I wish all of DU's other programs well, they're frankly not the reason I still wear sweatshirts and t-shirts with the logo.

12/19/2013 6:20 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

She did.  I was there, seated behind the Duquesne bench & it happened right in front of me.  I had my attention directed elsewhere---yelling for the ref to make a 3-second call---when suddenly this girl from RMU falls down hard.  I didn't see what happened.  The RMU player got up & you could clearly hear her yell, "YOU Complain!" as her teammates restrained her.  It coulda gotten ugly but right away Burt called his players over to the bench.

On the web site, Burt said he didn't see the play, either, but the ref told him that Wumi hit the player with a "closed fist," which Wumi denied.

It was a hard-fought game for sure.  At one point in the 2nd half, you could hear the RMU coach yell at Burt, "Hey, Bill Bellichick, how ya doin'?" I think referring to Burt being on the court during game action.  Burt just kinda shook his head at it.  Maybe they're friends & it was just a joke.  They spent a lotta time talking to each other after the game, shook hands, & seemed to part on good terms.

12/19/2013 6:44 pm  #9

It is interesting the RMU coach would say that because I've seen him in action and he looks like a damn fool most of the time. 

He had kind words to say about Burt in the Trib article about the game and about DU in general.

12/19/2013 8:13 pm  #10

duqkurt wrote:

It is interesting the RMU coach would say that because I've seen him in action and he looks like a damn fool most of the time.

Let's give him his due, however. He's done a great job there.

12/20/2013 3:43 am  #11

Officer Dribble wrote:

duq81 wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

She did.  I was there, seated behind the Duquesne bench & it happened right in front of me.  I had my attention directed elsewhere---yelling for the ref to make a 3-second call---when suddenly this girl from RMU falls down hard.  I didn't see what happened.  The RMU player got up & you could clearly hear her yell, "YOU Complain!" as her teammates restrained her.  It coulda gotten ugly but right away Burt called his players over to the bench.

On the web site, Burt said he didn't see the play, either, but the ref told him that Wumi hit the player with a "closed fist," which Wumi denied.

It was a hard-fought game for sure.  At one point in the 2nd half, you could hear the RMU coach yell at Burt, "Hey, Bill Bellichick, how ya doin'?" I think referring to Burt being on the court during game action.  Burt just kinda shook his head at it.  Maybe they're friends & it was just a joke.  They spent a lotta time talking to each other after the game, shook hands, & seemed to part on good terms.

Bobby Mo Coach Buscaglia's comments were directed to Duquesne Assistant Coach Eddie Benton because he was calling out Robert Morris' plays as they set them up.  This obviously irritated the irascible Buscaglia whose weak attempt at humor tried to link Coach Benton's quick perception of RM's play or set to New England Patiots' Coach Belichick's spying on the Steeler's practice a few years ago.  

Last edited by godukes1970 (12/20/2013 9:39 am)

12/20/2013 5:54 am  #12

Wow, kudos to the coaching staff. That's either a great scouting job or great recognition.

I hope Wumi did not do something foolish. She is a tremendous player, and after Korie Hlede and Beth Friday is on the Mt. Rushmore of Duquesne women's basketball. If it turns out that she did, I hope she spologizes publicly, and I hope Coach Burt has the sense to sit her for a game. 

And I hope she comes back and tears it up the rest of the year!

12/20/2013 7:37 am  #13

Wasn't Eddie coaching out at Bobby Mo a few years back? I can't remember if he was on the men's or women's staff. I haven't talked to him in years.

12/20/2013 9:43 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

Wasn't Eddie coaching out at Bobby Mo a few years back? I can't remember if he was on the men's or women's staff. I haven't talked to him in years.

From the Dukes' website's bio on Coach Eddie Benton: "Before coaching on the women's side, Benton served as a men's assistant coach at Robert Morris for three years under Mark Schmidt after spending two years as an assistant coach with the men's program at La Roche."

[url=​http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/eddie_benton_850214.html]http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/eddie_benton_850214.html[/url]

12/20/2013 3:46 pm  #15

ElDuque wrote:

Wow, kudos to the coaching staff. That's either a great scouting job or great recognition.

I hope Wumi did not do something foolish. She is a tremendous player, and after Korie Hlede and Beth Friday is on the Mt. Rushmore of Duquesne women's basketball. If it turns out that she did, I hope she spologizes publicly, and I hope Coach Burt has the sense to sit her for a game. 

I spoke to Coach Burt after the game, and he explained that Wumi was guarding another Robert Morris player before the foul was called.  That player broke to the basket and Wumi whirled around very quickly to cover her.  Somehow Wumi's hand (fist) ended up colliding with Ashley Ravelli's mid-section.  After the referees conducted a Zapruder film intense review of the video of the game, they concluded that Wumi committed a flagrent foul and was ejected from the game.  She was not suspended from playing in the Dukes' next game by virtue of this foul.  Furthermore, I do not think that Coach Burt will be sitting Wumi down for any time because of the incident.  

Ravelli screamed in pain for less than 10 seconds supinely lying on the floor.  Ravelli then rose to her feet very quickly and attempted to go after the Duquesne player she thought had accosted her, shouting, "You Complain!"  I wouldn't be surprised if she is a theater major from my review of her performance.

Last edited by godukes1970 (12/20/2013 9:16 pm)

12/20/2013 6:48 pm  #16

godukes1970 wrote:

Officer Dribble wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Bobby Mo Coach Buscaglia's comments were directed to Duquesne Assistant Coach Eddie Benton because he was calling out Robert Morris' plays as they set them up.  This obviously irritated the irascible Buscaglia whose weak attempt at humor tried to link Coach Benton's quick perception of RM's play or set to New England Patiots' Coach Belichick's spying on the Steeler's practice a few years ago.  

Thanks for the clarification. Makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.

No rule against Benton using knowledge obtained at a previous position, right?

12/20/2013 6:53 pm  #17

godukes1970 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I spoke to Coach Burt after the game, and he explained that Wumi was guarding another Robert Morris player before the foul was called.  That player broke to the basket and Wumi whirled around very quickly to cover her.  Somehow Wumi's hand (fist) ended up colliding with Ashley Ravelli's mid-section.  After the referees conducted a Zapruder film-intense review of the video of the game, they concluded that Wumi committed a flagrent foul and was ejected from the game.  She was not suspended from playing in the Dukes' next game by virtue of this foul.  Furthermore, I do not think that Coach Burt will be sitting Wumi down for any time because of the incident.  

Ravelli screamed in pain for less than 10 seconds supinely lying on the floor.  Ravelli then rose to her feet very quickly and attempted to go after the Duquesne player she thought had accosted her, shouting, "You Complain!"  I wouldn't be surprised if she is a theater major from my review of her performance.

Hmmmm....she did fall pretty hard. It was like a tree fell.  It didn't seem to me like she was acting but at the same time I'm sure it was an accident, just as Burt explained. Burt doesn't teach that kinda basketball & Wumi's not that kinda player. It's not as if we're talkin' Skip Prosser & Kevin Frey here.

Board footera